Iran Test Fires Missile with 1200 mile Range

Posted:
in General Discussion edited January 2014
From the NYT.

Quote:

TEHRAN — Iran test fired an upgraded surface-to-surface missile with a range of about 1,200 miles on Wednesday, the Iranian government announced and Western officials confirmed.

The reported range of the Sejil-2 missile would put it within striking distance of Israel and of American bases in the Persian Gulf, though the Iranian leader did not allude to any specific target beyond Iran’s borders in the news agency account.

I think it is time we bomb Iran don't you think? They are becoming a threat and, more to the point, it would be a lot of fun to blow up weapons-producing factories.

It also goes to show that missiles is a somewhat antiquated technology if even arabs are able to build and use one. I really wish the US military had developed one of those orbiting ion guns (think command and conquer) to vaporize a few buildings before they realize what hit them. Now THAT would be cool as hell.

Comments

• Reply 1 of 6
    royboyroyboy Posts: 458member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by Tauron View Post

From the NYT.

I think it is time we bomb Iran don't you think? They are becoming a threat and, more to the point, it would be a lot of fun to blow up weapons-producing factories.

It also goes to show that missiles is a somewhat antiquated technology if even arabs are able to build and use one. I really wish the US military had developed one of those orbiting ion guns (think command and conquer) to vaporize a few buildings before they realize what hit them. Now THAT would be cool as hell.

I think I smell a political chicken hawk!
  • Reply 2 of 6
    aquaticaquatic Posts: 5,602member
    They just released a journalist. I really respected that. Between that and Obama addressing them I really had high hopes. This is most unfortunate and certainly not in their best interest! Their government is as disconnected from the wellbeing of its citizens as our government is. War sucks. What's their deal, anyway, don't they say peace be with you as a way of saying hi? Why can't the world focus on launching communications and exploratory satellites instead of missiles?
  • Reply 3 of 6
    taurontauron Posts: 911member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by Aquatic View Post

They just released a journalist. I really respected that. Between that and Obama addressing them I really had high hopes. This is most unfortunate and certainly not in their best interest! Their government is as disconnected from the wellbeing of its citizens as our government is. War sucks. What's their deal, anyway, don't they say peace be with you as a way of saying hi? Why can't the world focus on launching communications and exploratory satellites instead of missiles?

It would be hilarious if after billions spend and years of research and development the US simply destroyed everything.
  • Reply 4 of 6
    royboyroyboy Posts: 458member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by Aquatic View Post

Now let's put this into perspective. Let's say that Russia attacked Canada in 2001 and still was fighting a war there, and in 2003 Russia had attacked Mexico and was still fighting a war there, and that Russia was the only nation to every use nuclear weapons against another nation. And remember that neither Canada nor Mexico attacked Russia. As an American citizen, what might your thoughts be regarding Russia?
  • Reply 5 of 6
    hirohiro Posts: 2,663member
    Well I for one would be paranoid knowing that Mexico was a failed state largely because of my "cultural" influence and covert funding of selected warlords to keep the central government ineffective. All the while having gained significant political influence with the religious fundamentalists that I was also quietly supporting.

I might also be a bit apprehensive about the several million I killed in the war with Canada a decade or so prior by mass use of chemical weapons and frontal attack tactics of driving my conscripts by way having my elite troops follow the charge shooting those conscripts at the back of the charge so the conscripts move forward only. And into both my and Canada's poison gas hell-zone. And no, I have never held any Russian citizens hostage, threatening to kill them on television, because they are not of my religion and worked with the previous government in my country, which was a friend of Russia and not muslim enough for my taste. No my country hasn't spent the last 25 years calling Russia the Great Satan and threatening it in grand fashion as a way to externalize the failing social policies of my own government. No I love Russia like a brother!

</sarcasm and playing into the previous post>
  • Reply 6 of 6
    Iran is currently in the news a lot, it really feels like the run up to the Iraq war to me. What would happen if Israel bombed Iran?

- Iran could send in waves of Hamas and Hesbollah suicide bombers and morter rounds into Israel, but they have done that before

- Iran could try and blow up oil tankers in the gulf, to hurt us economically, hopefully if we attacked Iran we would be blowing up any anti-ship missile installations that they could use. We would also have to destroy their air force and navy.

There would be a lot of required destruction - missile sites, nuclear facilities designed to survive this kind of thing, radio towers, command posts, etc.

- They could attack us in Iraq, pretty fragile situation there, we would have to send a lot more troops.

- The Kurds would probably rise up with Iran was distracted, and try to form a single Kurdish state from the land in northern Iraq and southern Iran.

- Syria could attack Israel, but it is really in Syria's best interest to keep things from getting too out of hand, because Israel almost nuked Syria (and all the other ME capitals) in 1973 when it looked like Israel would lose the war.

- Egypt and Jordan will not do anything, they got tired of getting their ass kicked long ago.

I don't think that "Bomb Iran" is a simple thing, it would be the same scale of operation as the Iraqi "Shock and Awe" was, but against a stronger target than Iraq. We also have an economy that is very weak, and any disruption of oil supplies could send us into a full blown depression (I think that the recession is worse now than it was in the spring, btw).

PS - this thread should be moved to PO - sorry, if I had noticed it was in General I would have started a new one.