Apple to answer netbook market with $500-$700 tablet - report

Comments

• Reply 21 of 243
    huntercrhuntercr Posts: 140member
    They are smartly hedging their bets that things will get better soon. I don't mean that things will just bounce back, but that psychologically coming out with a new killer device in this economy isn't smart. Apple has acted counter to the rest of the computer world in actually making gains this year, but that doesn't mean they can take userexperience transforming risks.

This device will live or die on usability. When's the last time you used your Windows based tablet? I still have an ol dissue of PC Magazine ( I think it was ) that declared pen computing a solid future and that tablets were going to become their own market segment.

Apple has the first real chance at pulling this off, but the cards are stacked against it. Ironically I think the largest threat to this device failing is that people may just simply be happy with the ipod touch for factor and not want this device.

Right now the only thing i would think a 9 inch device could do better than iPhone/Touch is webbrowsing clarity, and movie watching. But you are crossing an imaginary line ... to where your expectations of the deviice might shift into "real" computer. If mentally the public does this, then Apple runs the risk of seriously disappointing people. They will want it to be "real" OS X then with all the features you're accustomed to, including an otional keyboard attachment. Fortunately I know the 3rd party people will make a mini keyboard and trackpad the very accessory made for this.

I hope it's a great success.. I want it to be a success. but waiting is likely a very good thing, despite my own wishes they bring it out this fall
  • Reply 22 of 243
    teckstudteckstud Posts: 6,476member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by OriginalMacRat View Post

In what way is the current Mac OS X NOT optimized for multi-touch? (For those who might not know, the new laptops come with multi-touch enabled track pads.)

Hybrid OS? Apple has made it clear that the iPhone OS is a subset of Mac OS X.

Does this guy really have a clue?

iPhone OS can't run Muti Apps (amongst other things) which you would most certainly want in a tablet (that is if you can think for yourself and not let Apple do it for you). Therefor it would need an OSX lite.
  • Reply 23 of 243
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by huntercr View Post

They are smartly hedging their bets that things will get better soon. I don't mean that things will just bounce back, but that psychologically coming out with a new killer device in this economy isn't smart. Apple has acted counter to the rest of the computer world in actually making gains this year, but that doesn't mean they can take userexperience transforming risks.

I hope it's a great success.. I want it to be a success. but waiting is likely a very good thing, despite my own wishes they bring it out this fall

Right- there are piles of them sitting out in some hangar somewhere right now.
  • Reply 24 of 243
    quadra 610quadra 610 Posts: 6,757member
    researchers for Piper Jaffray said Thursday

It helps to stop reading right there. Seriously.
  • Reply 25 of 243
    solipsismsolipsism Posts: 25,726member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by teckstud View Post

iPhone OS can't run Muti Apps (amongst other things) which you would most certainly want in a tablet (that is if you can think for yourself and not let Apple do it for you). Therefor it would need an OSX lite.

Since when can?t it run multiple apps? What is your reasoning for this?
  • Reply 26 of 243
    istinkistink Posts: 250member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by OriginalMacRat View Post

In what way is the current Mac OS X NOT optimized for multi-touch? (For those who might not know, the new laptops come with multi-touch enabled track pads.)

Hybrid OS? Apple has made it clear that the iPhone OS is a subset of Mac OS X.

Does this guy really have a clue?

Nobody's saying they couldn't implement it into OS X if they needed to, but the touch pad multitouch isn't exactly the same thing. For instance, Asus netbooks have multitouch track pads, but XP doesn't support multi touch screens. Get what I'm sayin?
  • Reply 27 of 243
    dagamer34dagamer34 Posts: 494member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by Buck View Post

Does it really make sense for Apple to develop yet another operating system? Unless it's going be the same iphone OS with added resolutions I just don't see them recouping the costs of development.

This is where I stop trusting analysts. The iPhone OS is a variant of Mac OS X, and heck, it's running on a completely different instruction set. Besides x86 and ARM, there really isn't any other instruction set out there to use.
  • Reply 28 of 243
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by Quadra 610 View Post

researchers for Piper Jaffray said Thursday

It helps to stop reading right there. Seriously.

LOL! Do they have a track record for putting out these kinds of rumors and being wrong or something?
  • Reply 29 of 243
    jerseymacjerseymac Posts: 408member
    Quote:

While this is great, 2010 is simply way too long away for an announcement. See what happens when all your energies go into the iPhone? Macs get pushed aside.

Isn't that what was said in early 2007, and Apple did the phone, iLife (events, new iMovie) , new aluminum iMacs, Leopard...
  • Reply 30 of 243
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by solipsism View Post

Since when can?t it run multiple apps? What is your reasoning for this?

You know exactly what I meant but are being a jerk once again. Of course it can run Mutiple Apps!!! Mutiple Apps running at once. Where's my spoon for you?
  • Reply 31 of 243
    boogabooga Posts: 1,082member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by vercordio View Post

I just don't understand why everyone is so in love with this tablet idea. These things have such an exceedingly limited usefulness.

Honestly, I love Apple, and I don't think they're dumb enough to build something like this. However, they did create a Shuffle with no buttons, so I've been wrong before...

I agree that Apple wouldn't release the product you describe, but that's not necessarily how using a tablet has to be.

I, for one, would probably order one of those things immediately. Especially if it had a mode where it could act as a pen input device for my MacBook Pro, then "undock" and be its own browser/reader/etc.
  • Reply 32 of 243
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by dagamer34 View Post

This is where I stop trusting analysts. The iPhone OS is a variant of Mac OS X, and heck, it's running on a completely different instruction set. Besides x86 and ARM, there really isn't any other instruction set out there to use.

If it?s a tablet that is finger-based then a new UI would have to be made. The iPhone OS would be too small and the Mac OS would require a more precise pointing device. Even the Dock could be an issue. I think that is what is probably meant, not the kernel?s instruction set.
  • Reply 33 of 243
    asciiascii Posts: 5,936member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by huntercr View Post

Right now the only thing i would think a 9 inch device could do better than iPhone/Touch is webbrowsing clarity, and movie watching. But you are crossing an imaginary line ... to where your expectations of the deviice might shift into "real" computer. If mentally the public does this, then Apple runs the risk of seriously disappointing people. They will want it to be "real" OS X then with all the features you're accustomed to, including an otional keyboard attachment. Fortunately I know the 3rd party people will make a mini keyboard and trackpad the very accessory made for this.

That's a very good point. How do Apple ensure people view it as an "excellent iPhone" and not a "crap computer?"
  • Reply 34 of 243
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by ascii View Post

That's a very good point. How do Apple ensure people view it as an "excellent iPhone" and not a "crap computer?"

price
  • Reply 35 of 243
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by Jerseymac View Post

Isn't that what was said in early 2007, and Apple did the phone, iLife (events, new iMovie) , new aluminum iMacs, Leopard...

The aluminum imacs were not new but rather simply an enironmental retro-fit. We are all still waiting for the next TRUE iMAc. Hopefully in my lifetime.

Leopard was late and was truly buggy.

iLife is a given.

MobileMe a disaster in 08.

No new iMac in 08, 09.

Meanwhile netbooks selling like hotcakes- meaning more people entrenched in Windows.
  • Reply 36 of 243
    Quote:

You know exactly what I meant but are being a jerk once again. Of course it can run Mutiple Apps!!! Mutiple Apps running at once. Where's my spoon for you?

Multiple apps do run at the same time on the iPhone and Touch. The only thing Apple currently doesn?t allow is the multiple 3rd-party apps to run at once. There is a difference and there is a reason for it, but you know that are just trolling.
  • Reply 37 of 243
    sofabuttsofabutt Posts: 99member
    Laughable. Apple can't do anything less than $999....
  • Reply 38 of 243
    cbw87cbw87 Posts: 36member
    Quote:

His point, I believe, is that it can run multiple apps at once, which is why your iPod music keeps playing, your stopwatch keeps running and you keep receiving emails, etc whilst browsing Safari. So perhaps you're being the jerk, or just ignorant?
  • Reply 39 of 243
    mark2005mark2005 Posts: 1,158member
    Quote:

Oh I thought the iPhone updates were factored into its plan and therefor claiming it payment is over 2 years (Sarbanes Oxley)- therefor no charge. Touch does not have this due to no plan. Correct me if I'm wrong.

The AT&T subsidy has no direct relationship to Apple choosing subscription accounting for the iPhone. Evidence: Apple also uses subscription accounting for AppleTV. Apple could've chose to use subscription accounting for the iPod touch, but chose not to. Why it chose not to, is a mystery.
  • Reply 40 of 243
    asciiascii Posts: 5,936member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by solipsism View Post

If it?s a tablet that is finger-based then a new UI would have to be made. The iPhone OS would be too small and the Mac OS would require a more precise pointing device. Even the Dock could be an issue. I think that is what is probably meant, not the kernel?s instruction set.

Yes - he was just proposing that a device half way between the two would need an OS half way between the two, and trying to fluff it up to sound like great technical insight.