Putting DVD TV shows into an ipod classic

Posted:
in iPod + iTunes + AppleTV edited January 2014
I own (bought and paid for) several full season DVDs that I'd like to put on my iPod. Each disc has 4 episodes of the series and some extra features (7.4 gigs) ... I tried to use HandBrake to get them on iPod but only the first episode winds up installed (1.03 gigs) ... does anyone know of another method? ... I don't need the extra features but all 4 episodes would be nice ...Thanks in advance for any help offered.

Comments

• Reply 1 of 4
    MarvinMarvin Posts: 15,322moderator
    One reason you won't be getting responses is the title you have used is almost identical to the one bots use that spam their video encoding software here.

It is entirely possible to put your DVDs onto your ipod. You would use Mac the Ripper to extract the DVD as a VOB or video_ts. Then you would use isquint and drop the VOB or video_ts onto it and choose ipod as the output.

You can also adjust the Handbrake settings. You can for example lower the resolution and bitrate to get the file size down. Don't set the bitrate higher than 768k and keep the resolution 640 x 480 or less.
  • Reply 2 of 4
    newbeenewbee Posts: 2,055member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by Marvin View Post

One reason you won't be getting responses is the title you have used is almost identical to the one bots use that spam their video encoding software here.

It is entirely possible to put your DVDs onto your ipod. You would use Mac the Ripper to extract the DVD as a VOB or video_ts. Then you would use isquint and drop the VOB or video_ts onto it and choose ipod as the output.

You can also adjust the Handbrake settings. You can for example lower the resolution and bitrate to get the file size down. Don't set the bitrate higher than 768k and keep the resolution 640 x 480 or less.

Thanks for the tip re: title ... I never would have thought of that ... I will try your suggestions re: iPod & DVDs and will post results ..Thanks again.
  • Reply 3 of 4
    Handbrake will do the transcoding for all the episodes... you just have to select each one from the drop-down menu, then "Add to Queue" (don't forget to give each a different file-name)... it will then handle each one in the order you encoded them ... then drop the resulting files into iTunes.
  • Reply 4 of 4
    newbeenewbee Posts: 2,055member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by KingOfSomewhereHot View Post

Handbrake will do the transcoding for all the episodes... you just have to select each one from the drop-down menu, then "Add to Queue" (don't forget to give each a different file-name)... it will then handle each one in the order you encoded them ... then drop the resulting files into iTunes.

Thanks for the info ... such a simple little solution and I still missed it on my own ... I'm going to blame it on a "senior's moment" (one of my retirement benefits) ... I'm now on the way to filling up my iPod classic with songs AND TV shows ... does it get any better than this? Thanks again for all of your suggestions.