Apple TV - Anyone got one?

Posted:
in iPod + iTunes + AppleTV edited January 2014
Hey,

I have just started encoding my Film and TV collection on my mac from AVI to MP4 however I would like to make sure that it works with the Apple TV (original Apple OS on it) as I intend to buy one when I finish uni. Would someone be willing to quickly text the encode I have done please and report if it works. If so it would be greatly appreciated. The file is 8MB and can be found at public(dot)me(dot)com/baredd its named "Ctrl-Alt-Del - S01 E05.mp4" Thank you very much and sorry for being cheeky and having to ask someone to do it for me.

Comments

• Reply 1 of 6
    gordygordy Posts: 1,004member
    Video formats supported

H.264 and protected H.264 (from iTunes Store): Up to 5 Mbps, Progressive Main Profile (CAVLC) with AAC-LC audio up to 160 Kbps (maximum resolution: 1280 by 720 pixels at 24 fps, 960 by 540 pixels at 30 fps) in .m4v, .mp4, and .mov file formats

iTunes Store purchased video: 320 by 240 pixels, 640 by 480 pixels, 720 by 480 pixels (anamorphic), or high-definition 720p

MPEG-4: Up to 3 Mbps, Simple Profile with AAC-LC audio up to 160 Kbps (maximum resolution: 720 by 432 pixels at 30 fps) in .m4v, .mp4, and .mov file formats

Audio formats supported

AAC (16 to 320 Kbps); protected AAC (from iTunes Store); MP3 (16 to 320 Kbps); MP3 VBR; Apple Lossless; AIFF; WAV; Dolby Digital 5.1 surround sound pass-through

Photo formats supported

JPEG, BMP, GIF, TIFF, PNG

http://www.apple.com/appletv/specs.html
  • Reply 2 of 6
    Gordy... that was some real sleuthing on your part!

But it really doesn't answer his question. There are a LOT of encoding options available within those specs. Some of them break the ability to play nice with the aTV.

I had the same problem streaming stuff to a PS3... trial and error along with some google/forums searching finally got me to something that works... then I bought a MacMini to use in leu of a AppleTV.
  • Reply 3 of 6
    bareddbaredd Posts: 31member
    Hi cheers for your response gordy. However as KingOfSomewhereHot has said I'm not sure if the file I have will work. Would either of you guys be able to test it for me please?

Thanks. Edd
  • Reply 4 of 6
    <--- no AppleTV for testing. That's the entire reason I bought the Mini instead... it accepts 3rd party codecs and players and will play anything I throw at it.
  • Reply 5 of 6
    hmurchisonhmurchison Posts: 12,425member
    The export options that are being shown in Snow Leopard give me hope that we're see a refresh of the ATV soon enough.

I like being able to export with the correct settings for Apple TV or iPod/iPhone. It makes it very easy to bypass the lengthy encode process for optical discs and leverage the network to send video right to the ATV.

I'm just holding out for new hardware.
  • Reply 6 of 6
    gordygordy Posts: 1,004member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by KingOfSomewhereHot View Post

There are a LOT of encoding options available within those specs. Some of them break the ability to play nice with the aTV...

Just.not.true. I've never had a problem staying within the specs...once again slowly, within the specs. Besides, most H.264 software has AppleTV presets, it's really not rocket science. I use Elgato's Turbo.264 and haven't had any issues getting them on AppleTV, ever. Before that, I had similar success with Handbrake & FFMPEGX.

Regarding the Mini, sure, whatever . I have 2 cords coming out of my AppleTV in the den, and 8-9 coming out the mini in the office. The mini has it's place in my world, but ugly in a media center setup...my preference. You clearly don't have an issue with it...your preference...nbd.

Regarding testing the file...I'm at work. Chances are I don't even think about this board when I'm near my home network. Now, if the file was something 'interesting' I'd consider it but you really don't have to stress it that much.

I hope a new AppleTV does come out.