Apple said to have settled on supplier for tablet display

Comments

• Reply 41 of 101
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by BenRoethig View Post

Aren't they supposed to have an exclusive deal with LG?

Wasn't that for the new OLED displays for the new iMac?

p.s. WinTek doesn't have 10" touch screens (I have e-mails to prove my claim).
  • Reply 42 of 101
    olternautolternaut Posts: 1,376member
    Quote:

Yes what happened to the LG deal?
  • Reply 43 of 101
    haggarhaggar Posts: 1,568member
    A convertible tablet, which is a laptop with a touchscreen that rotates around and folds all the way down over the keyboard, would be more useful than a screen-only device.
  • Reply 44 of 101
    anantksundaramanantksundaram Posts: 20,403member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by steviet02 View Post

It doesn't matter what everyone else is doing, that is a poor excuse.

Such a firm, assuming it is in a competitive business with 'everyone else', will then not exist long enough to be able to make a difference to the issue under consideration.

Quote:

When Apple has a chance to make a difference they should seize the opportunity.

Really? 'Seize the opportunity' regardless of what it costs to do and what its competitive implications might be? What about all the Apple employees, suppliers, customer/retain chains etc. that are then thrown out of work or go bust if Apple's sales go bust?
  • Reply 45 of 101
    razorpitrazorpit Posts: 1,796member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by Senseimike View Post

Hey folks,

As a faculty member at a local community college, I've seen my students struggle to purchase their textbooks each semester as the average new text now runs well over $100. Purchase 4 or 5 a semester and ouch! We're talking $2000 over two years just in books. When the Kindle DX was released, it was with the support of most of the major text book companies. Most e-text books will run $50-60. If you do the math, you can see that it wouldn't take the average student a very long time to pay for the cost of an e-reader device (such as the Kindle or Mac Tablet) if they are saving $ on the textbooks by purchasing the digital version. Now granted, a student can resell their text at semesters' end, but this is usually for a fairly paltry sum.

Peace.

I've thought about that myself and so far what little textbooks I've found available for the Kindle, are available from places like Half.com for the same or very close to the same price. Plus as you mentioned, I have the added benefit of being able to sell those books to someone else at the end of class. Until the price of textbooks drop drastically on the Kindle, I don't see sales taking off. Now if you want to discuss the pirate option for textbooks, then you have an argument for the Kindle DX or an Apple tablet.

To make matters worse, at my school there has been mention of "custom text books" being offered, where instructors can pick and choose which chapters to include in "the course book", the publishers claim this will make books cheaper. This is done by offering an unbound copy of the text, of which the student must purchase a three ring binder and "bind" the book themselves. This will make any chance of resale completely null, because what are the odds your "custom book" is going to be the same as anyone else's?

People want to talk about "greed" of banks and automobile manufacturers, should start with the industry that has become higher education...

--Dave
  • Reply 46 of 101
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by Switchers (Chief Editor) View Post

Wasn't that for the new OLED displays for the new iMac?

Then please, please go right on ahead and prove your claim. This is getting confusing now. So if WinTek doesn't have 10" touch screens then they can't be the display supplier for the iTablet/netbook/thingamabob.

Which brings me back to my question on LG's involvement concerning displays. So again, what is LG's involvement?
  • Reply 47 of 101
    MacProMacPro Posts: 19,718member
    Quote:

There isn't one, thats why I don't believe this rumor at all. Apple typically has waited for a defined market to be lacking a device and attacks it. The tablet market is non-existent right now.

I travel a lot on sports video shoots but stopped taking MacBook as it was more than I needed for a three day gig, mostly outdoors and am now replying on iPhone. However, a larger device that allowed me to have an onscreen virtual keyboard (as in I can almost type like normal) and do just a bit more than the iPhone for the prices speculated and I'm ordering it right away. Just my 2 cents.
  • Reply 48 of 101
    bageljoeybageljoey Posts: 2,004member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by GCS View Post

The damn Green Peace hippies don't care about the slug either - they care about controling your life and returning to the 14th century (something they have in common with the People of Peace).

I'm not sure how Green Peace got dragged into this one, but I take exception to your (and other's) characterization. I know many Apple fans are sore because GP has used Apple to gain publicity but hey--that's life at the top. The vast majority of people involved in GP that I know care about the environment (including slugs) and people.
  • Reply 49 of 101
    carniphagecarniphage Posts: 1,984member
    Quote:

WinTek doesn't have 10" touch screens (I have e-mails to prove my claim).

Now *that* is interesting.

C.
  • Reply 50 of 101
    chris_cachris_ca Posts: 2,543member
    Quote:

Yes. LG will purchase only from them.

Wintek still makes displays for others.
  • Reply 51 of 101
    patspats Posts: 112member
    The LG contract was upfront money to guarantee future supply of unspecified displays. Could be for any product. Apple did a similar contract strategy for Flash memory.
  • Reply 52 of 101
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by pats View Post

The LG contract was upfront money to guarantee future supply of unspecified displays. Could be for any product. Apple did a similar contract strategy for Flash memory.

Money upfront for a future supply of "unspecified displays"???

That has to be for LG's brand new oil and water based flexible display tech. *sigh* No flexible display type devices from Apple till after 2010 then?
  • Reply 53 of 101
    virgil-tb2virgil-tb2 Posts: 1,416member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by solipsism View Post

... There needs to be a ?killer app? to make it something that you have to have. I know many people that never considered an PMP or smartphone until a certain iDevice type came out and then they couldn?t imagine not having it.

Well, since all this is really in the realm of fantasy for the moment, I will put forward my idea of a "killer app," and that is ....

Writing.

If such a device can effectively be used to write on, why would anyone carry around a gigantic laptop to do the same thing? Pushed further, what if it had a book store similar to the app store on the iPhone? It's almost impossible to get anything published nowadays unless you publish it yourself or "know someone." A book store would mean that individuals could "publish" works to this store and sell them to others just like app developers can do now with apps.

All of a sudden publishers, printers etc. are staring at obsolescence.

I have absolutely no evidence that this is what Apple is thinking and no proof that it would work, it's just my private fantasy (being a writer) and I think it would be cool.
  • Reply 54 of 101
    virgil-tb2virgil-tb2 Posts: 1,416member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by Olternaut View Post

... LG's brand new oil and water based flexible display tech. *sigh* No flexible display type devices from Apple till after 2010 then?

I would bet money that you won't see flexible displays in mainstream products for much much longer than that. The killer application for flexible displays is "proper" (not alpha, not beta, not expensive and not klunky or thick), e-paper which is still a couple of years off even in the lab and probably longer before any kind of production.

If we are lucky we will see some keener use a flexible display for a couple of one-off really expensive toys in the interim (that no one will buy), but mainstream products are a long ways off IMO.
  • Reply 55 of 101
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by walshbj View Post

I see it as a Kindle that does a lot more. Video, full web surfing, storing photos while on a trip, video chat. I'd put it on a stand in my kitchen. Just the simple act of showing someone some photos: awkward with a laptop, natural with a tablet. Pass a laptop across a table in a restaurant? No. Tablet? Yes.

?

I agree,

it will allow you in an easy and pleasant way all the things you could

do with a so called "net-book", but no-one does. (Not talking about heavy text entry, not word-Excel-powerpoint-PC-beige-suit)

Same thing happened with the iPhone, and the iPod.

There was apparently no business model for "just another phone" or just "another music-player"

You could just browse the web with almost every other "smartphone".

But no-one does.

My guess is it's name won't contain the following:

"i"

"book"

"tablet"

"pad"

"touch"

"net- ..."

"smart"

"digital"

"device"

"assistant"

IMHO these known buzzwords would'nt do anything good.

If i where with Apple I'll give it at totally different name to stress out that it will be something unique, different than what people are used to, first of it's kind ...

Something like "Safari" After all they didn't call their browser "iExplorer" or "iBrowser" or "iNavigator"

another example: The new OS is not called "OS X 2009" it's "Snowleopard".

just my thoughts.

Sorry for the bad english
  • Reply 56 of 101
    SpamSandwichSpamSandwich Posts: 33,407member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by jackthemac View Post

I agree, but even if I'm wrong I won't be buying any Wintek-produced product until they clean up their work practices. Apple need to address this problem immediately.

There is no third-party confirmation regarding unfair practices by Wintek. If there are problems, I'm pretty certain Apple would be proactive enough to either investigate or pull the business with Wintek. With all of the monitoring of every misstep by companies these days, it would be unwise to ignore an issue such as this.
  • Reply 57 of 101
    gcsgcs Posts: 29member
    After leaving here and doing chores, crusing the net and so forth, on a whim I decided to chech macosrumors - well they also thing it will be a smaller MBA, and the notepad killer will be some sort of iDevice.

FWIW
  • Reply 58 of 101
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by stuffe View Post

Multitouch colour E-Ink is the holy grail of this sort of device for me. I'll take an upgraded iphone OS modified to run larger size apps and/or how about multiple standard iphone app store apps all running in the foreground and tiled across a larger screen? (Background apps? Pah! )

A better homescreen with the ability to pull out certain things like mail/calendars/im chats/live weather etc (whatever is most important to you, like personalised homepages on google or Yahoo, but pulling data from your apps as well as the web) would be useful. And to top the thing off, integration into "back to my mac" for running and displaying more intense apps on your home PC remotely. It would be easy to implement a toggle to the multitouch to emulate using a finger as a mouse, or turning a portion of the screen into a standard trackpad for those paradigms that won't work on iphone OS (mouse-over hovers etc).

Add in full bluetooth support for keyboards and mice etc and you have a device I would buy tomorrow. I don't need a full power tablet running Mac OSX slowly, as I already have a macbook which is portable enough. My ideal setup would be an iMac or Mini setup at home that serves as my main datastore containing all my Mac OS apps and data, and a tablet running iphone OS as described above that could easily "tap in" to the home system to present apps, or pull data. Port some of the common apps (iLife and iWork) to mobile versions running direct on Iphone OS (providing the most common functions rather than attempting to do it all), but loading and saving documents straight of my home PC? Yes please.

One thing I wouldn't want is for it to be marketed as a phone device, this is the only area where the model breaks down. I'd still want a phone I can put in my pocket, but the tablet still needs the relevant chippery to allow it to use 3G or whatever replaces it, meaning the temptation to turn it into a phone also might be too great as it will already have the hardware, so why not? Unless there is some clever way of getting is to share a number with my iphone, and allow me to choose which device to route the call to it would just be confusing.

I doubt there will be an e-ink/phone combo from Apple, but it certainly would make for an interesting "low-end" iPhone if the phone was so thin and flexible that it could be placed into a wallet like a dollar/euro!
  • Reply 59 of 101
    chris_cachris_ca Posts: 2,543member
    Quote:

And?

I have emails to prove that I...

- won the lottery

- won a 60" plasma television & vacation

- will receive 15% of $18 million from somone in Uganda

Besides, what does it matter if they actually have them now or not?

Many contracts are signed with intent to deliver something not yet produced.
  • Reply 60 of 101
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by walshbj View Post

I couldn't disagree more ! If Apple makes a swivel tablet-notebook I'll eat my hat.

I'll eat my hat and your hat! Not gonna happen!