iPhone rumored to get wireless movie, TV downloads

Comments

• Reply 21 of 67
    pg4gpg4g Posts: 383member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by ryanc View Post

Perhaps they closed that loophole in 3.0?

Doubtful. If they're going to implement something on iPhone do you think they're going to disallow it in a later build - one coming out closer to the release date?

The iTunes app loads up - it has to because any web address called with itunes.apple.com will automatically load that app. However the page direct doesn't work.

If it is real, the Apple may have put the video content page restrictions onto the app. We already know they have the ability to block access to parts of the store in certain scenarios - thats how they blocked everyone except on wifi until MacWorld, and all of a sudden, the Wifi store was released to non-wifi without a software update.

Apple has control over the content shown in the app and can return errors to the device when the app requests a disallowed page.
  • Reply 22 of 67
    addaboxaddabox Posts: 12,665member
    Also good points!

After initially thinking, "Sure, why not?" I've been persuaded it's a bad idea. Which doesn't mean that Apple isn't going to do it anyway.
  • Reply 23 of 67
    pg4gpg4g Posts: 383member
    *post deleted*
  • Reply 24 of 67
    quadra 610quadra 610 Posts: 6,757member
    If this is true, and Apple pull sit off right (which i expect), it'll be huge.
  • Reply 25 of 67
    foo2foo2 Posts: 1,077member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by Jimzip View Post

Sounds great! This must also mean a significant capacity update too no? I mean, movies are around 1.25 - 2.0GB each on the iTS. Unless they're going to provide specially encoded versions for the iPhone - which I don't see them doing...

I believe movies downloaded from iTMS already come as bundles containing a full-screen version + an iPhone version. When syncing in iTunes, only the smaller iPhone version gets copied to the device. Only the same smaller version would need to be downloaded over 3G.
  • Reply 26 of 67
    forcequitforcequit Posts: 62member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by Virgil-TB2 View Post

That's what I meant. What I'm saying is that based on my experience with this same thing already available for podcasts, that it will not be of much use in any practical sense.

Maybe if you live in New York or something there is a ton of wireless around, but for most, there is wireless at home, and maybe at the office. The entire point of paying $70 a month is so that you can have "always on" access, so if this is for wireless only it's pretty much more of a whiz-bang feature for advertisements than it is a useful add-on.

Another problem with this model (also exhibited with the current podcasts), is that if you download a podcast to your iPhone, (and presumably this will be the same with the shows and movies), when you finally get back to your computer, the sync is almost twice as long.

First the iPod/iPhone has to download the podcast you got "on the go" to the iTunes library, then it re-copies it back onto the phone as part of the regular sync. The first time I saw it doing that I thought WTF? Then I remembered that Apple has a long history of sucking when it comes to syncing technology in particular. Sadly, (and I hate to say it) MS has always been better at that.

I'm not trying to be too critical, it's great that Apple is adding more features etc., but on a simply practical level, the ability to download stuff "on the go" is not that useful and not very well thought out by Apple in general. At least the current implementation.

I just think this is more of a PR move than part of their master plan for helping out consumers. You know, they announce the new video capable iPhone and then tell us how we can get video on the go send it to the cloud on the go etc. and these features are all part of that fabric etc. Just don't expect it to be that useful.

Mifi could be answer; its a little bigger than a credit card and gives you wifi access almost everywhere. I just got it this week - use it with my mbp.
  • Reply 27 of 67
    teckstudteckstud Posts: 6,476member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by wilco View Post

When does the name of this place get changed to iphoneinsider.com?

You got that right- I've been asking the same thing for the last 2 years. It's very tiresome.
  • Reply 28 of 67
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by PG4G View Post

I personally would find this move very... unexpected and unlikely.

Why? I find it extremely inconvenient that I can't presently download these items on my Touch right now.
  • Reply 29 of 67
    solipsismsolipsism Posts: 25,726member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by mrtotes View Post

Who actually has an internet connection as fast as 802.11b? 20Mbit services are not all that common yet and I certainly can't imagine any home user's internet would be limited by a 802.11g wifi connection. On the iPod/iPhone the speed of loading a page seems to me to be more limited by the processor not the speed of connection. 802.11n is only useful on the iPod/iPhone if you have an existing home file/sharing network and don't want to have g devices on it too.

I am looking forward to being able to have a LAN with all the devices on a 5GHz 802.11n without it downgrading to the fastest common connection.

Quote:
    Originally Posted by BTBlomberg View Post

Well an AT&T Mobile Manager I spoke with last week said they would "Soon" be releasing their AT&T U-Verse Remote and U-Verse DVR streaming to iPhone (ala SlingBox) but it would be allowed over 3G.

In my experience, retail employees know nothing about the company?s goings-ons. They only hear some faint hints here and there and some get built up, but people that follow tech will have a lot more knowledge than they will. In other words, you are more likely to know what AT&T is doing technically then he is.

Quote:
    Originally Posted by crees! View Post

Photoshop and/or having access to the iPhone SDK makes something like this quite easy to manufacture.

While true, it doesn?t mean it?s a fake and the evidence does point to this being real. I just really want AudioBooks to be downloadable on the iPhone over the carrier?s network.

Off topic: The voice memo app in v3.0 is very nice. It has trim features and syncs with iTunes which puts them into their own playlist and labeled with the date and time they were recorded. However, you can only email up to a 2 minute clip. It makes you trim it. I understand if I was trying to send via MMS (though that feature is not enabled yet and I refuse to use it unless it?s free). Part of the issue may be the way it encodes the audio. Instead of using AAC it used Apple Lossless which makes a 2 minute recording about 10MB. I?d like to be able to use a codec and bit rate of my choice for that.
  • Reply 30 of 67
    virgil-tb2virgil-tb2 Posts: 1,416member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by solipsism View Post

... Part of the issue may be the way it encodes the audio. Instead of using AAC it used Apple Lossless which makes a 2 minute recording about 10MB. I?d like to be able to use a codec and bit rate of my choice for that.

This sounds suspiciously similar to the 10MB limit for downloading stuff to the iPhone over 3G and is rather distressing for that reason. If the cell carrier won't budge on the 10MB limit even for a voice memo, it's not likely to do so for video, tv shows, or movies. Perhaps the "video iPhone" we keep hearing about will require a special contract (i.e. much more money) before they allow you to use it on 3G.

Granted this is all speculation, but I find this whole thing very depressing. It sounds (at this writing), as if the cell providers are firmly in the drivers seat and dictating terms to Apple in regards how much traffic they will allow over 3G. Given that most of us are paying exorbitant amounts of money for supposedly "unlimited" access this is ridiculous.

Sounds like we are going back to the 90's.
  • Reply 31 of 67
    brucepbrucep Posts: 2,823member
    Quote:

Sounds cool, but unless the carriers get on board with it, it won't be of much use.

I got bit by t d since the carriers don't allow podcast downloads over 3G, I couldn't finish the download until 40 minutes later when I got to work. Needless to say this ruins the whole point of be

why no podcast on the 3g ???
  • Reply 32 of 67
    Quote:

This sounds suspiciously similar to the 10MB limit for downloading stuff to the iPhone over 3G and is rather distressing for that reason. If the cell carrier won't budge on the 10MB limit even for a voice memo, it's not likely to do so for video, tv shows, or movies. Perhaps the "video iPhone" we keep hearing about will require a special contract (i.e. much more money) before they allow you to use it on 3G.

Granted this is all speculation, but I find this whole thing very depressing. It sounds (at this writing), as if the cell providers are firmly in the drivers seat and dictating terms to Apple in regards how much traffic they will allow over 3G. Given that most of us are paying exorbitant amounts of money for supposedly "unlimited" access this is ridiculous.

Sounds like we are going back to the 90's.

That's funny - I've been recording and MMSing videos for the last 2 years to friends- just like everyone else in the digital world for the last 2 years or more. \

Remember those CNN cellphone videos of Katrina, the Tsunami, Bhutto's assasination ? Not mine, mind you.
  • Reply 33 of 67
    Quote:

Sounds great! This must also mean a significant capacity update too no? I mean, movies are around 1.25 - 2.0GB each on the iTS. Unless they're going to provide specially encoded versions for the iPhone - which I don't see them doing, then that space could get eaten up really quickly.

Couple movie downloads with AV-Out and you've got yourself one pretty awesome mobile entertainment device though...

Jimzip

since its for playback ona tiny tiny screen i am sure the file sizes will be reduced greatly .
  • Reply 34 of 67
    edit .
  • Reply 35 of 67
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by ForceQuit View Post

Mifi could be answer; its a little bigger than a credit card and gives you wifi access almost everywhere. I just got it this week - use it with my mbp.

can you watch hulu on your mifi ??
  • Reply 36 of 67
    adjeiadjei Posts: 738member
    Quote:

Sounds great! This must also mean a significant capacity update too no? I mean, movies are around 1.25 - 2.0GB each on the iTS. Unless they're going to provide specially encoded versions for the iPhone - which I don't see them doing, then that space could get eaten up really quickly.

Couple movie downloads with AV-Out and you've got yourself one pretty awesome mobile entertainment device though...

Jimzip

They already do have special versions for iphone.
  • Reply 37 of 67
    adjeiadjei Posts: 738member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by crees! View Post

Photoshop and/or having access to the iPhone SDK makes something like this quite easy to manufacture.

Who the heck would want to manufacture this, I mean seriously.
  • Reply 38 of 67
    ilogicilogic Posts: 298member
    Fake!
  • Reply 39 of 67
    djames42djames42 Posts: 298member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by teckstud View Post

Why? I find it extremely inconvenient that I can't presently download these items on my Touch right now.

Agreed. How about when traveling, you find you'd like to catch up with the latest episode of a TV show and don't have your computer near you. Your hotel (or airport) has WiFi, so you pay the $1.99 to download the video and watch it on the flight home. That's why I'd like to see this...

As for support for wireless N, I'd like that just so I can use my iPhone while streaming HD content down to my Apple TV. As soon as my iPhone connects to my (previous generation) Airport Extreme, the thing downgrades itself to G.

Of course it'd be cheaper to replace the Airport than it would be to replace the iPhone...
  • Reply 40 of 67
    cbw87cbw87 Posts: 36member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by teckstud View Post

You got that right- I've been asking the same thing for the last 2 years. It's very tiresome.

If it's too complicated for you to filter out the stories that do and do not relate to the iPhone from the small number of articles posted each day, you really shouldn't be allowed on the internet. Apple make iPhones, get over it.