Wake from Sleep. How's it going?

Posted:
in macOS edited January 2014
I recall in the first few days after Jaguar's release there were some folks reporting problems waking from Sleep.

I was very intermittently suffering from a situation whereby the hard drive and fan would start up, but the screen would stay black (even though the power light had gone from "snoring" to "on") and there was no life in my keyboard or mouse (this is all vanilla G4 Cube, Pro Mouse, Pro Keyboard, but a bigger HD and a fan running off the DC-DC converter board). Mashing the mouse more often than not brought back full operability (this has always been my preferred way of waking the system up), but it had been getting worse. The machine didn't want to play at all the other day so I did a (gasp) hard reboot, then shut it down properly.

Since then, it's been absolutely fine: four days, no problems, and my Mac sleeps every night.

How's yours doing?

Comments

• Reply 1 of 7
    reidreid Posts: 190member
    I and a few others on the Apple Support discussion board have had difficulty getting our machines to fall asleep on their own since installing 10.1.5.

Even with Jaguar, my iBook won't go all the way to sleep if Personal File Sharing is turned on. It will go to sleep with the Apple Menu command, and by shutting the lid, but the Energy Saver time settings mean nothing to it.

Waking up, though, works fine.
  • Reply 2 of 7
    I've had a dual-867 (OS 10.2) for a week now and my first kernel panic in fact occured on an attempted wake-from-sleep. The monitor actually was half-gray (as if the system half-woke-up and then froze). I got the multi-cultural "restart" message and had to force-restart. This occured on a "long-term" sleep (6+ hours); sleep has worked several times on a short-term basis (a few hours).

It should be noted that my system has no SCSI devices or non-Apple equipment of any kind attached to it. It is all stock equipment.

I've read a few posts (though not many) about this type of "freeze" with 10.2 in Macfixit and Apple forums.

kfa
  • Reply 3 of 7
    [quote]Originally posted by Overhope:

<strong>I was very intermittently suffering from a situation whereby the hard drive and fan would start up, but the screen would stay black (even though the power light had gone from "snoring" to "on") and there was no life in my keyboard or mouse (this is all vanilla G4 Cube, Pro Mouse, Pro Keyboard, but a bigger HD and a fan running off the DC-DC converter board). Mashing the mouse more often than not brought back full operability (this has always been my preferred way of waking the system up), but it had been getting worse. The machine didn't want to play at all the other day so I did a (gasp) hard reboot, then shut it down properly.</strong><hr></blockquote>

I get this situation at least half the times I sleep my machine. Black screen, fan running, and no way to wake it up at all. I have to hard boot at least every other day.

It started out very rare, and seems to be getting worse.
  • Reply 4 of 7
    Going to sleep is fine, but when my B&W G3 wakes up it loses its network connection. Since I'm too lazy to reboot I just unplug my cable modem for a few seconds, plug it back in (yeah I know it's not the brightest idea), then in a minute or two everything will be back to normal.
  • Reply 5 of 7
    A few times I had a sleep problem in 10.1.5 but in 10.2 I have yet to see it and I have yet to see a Kernal Panic on my system.
  • Reply 6 of 7
    I have a G4 Cube also and have the same problem. Going to sleep works OK, but waking up will give me a black screen despite the fact that the light on my monitor and computer are not pulsating any more. I've found that if I leave it alone for up to several minutes, it will usually wake up anywhere from 30 seconds to 2 minutes. Not sure what the problem is. I did a clean install of Jaguar so it definitely looks like a bug. Right now I am usually just turning off my machine at night instead of putting it to sleep. I'm hoping that Apple will get this fixed in 10.21. If not, it will be a bit of a bummer since I never had any problems with 10 or 10.1.
  • Reply 7 of 7
    No problems under Jaguar here (PM G4 400), since I pulled a POS USB PCI card out of the case.