iPhone rumored to get wireless movie, TV downloads

Comments

• Reply 41 of 67
    successsuccess Posts: 1,040member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by Jimzip View Post

Sounds great! This must also mean a significant capacity update too no? I mean, movies are around 1.25 - 2.0GB each on the iTS. Unless they're going to provide specially encoded versions for the iPhone - which I don't see them doing, then that space could get eaten up really quickly.

Couple movie downloads with AV-Out and you've got yourself one pretty awesome mobile entertainment device though...

Jimzip

When speaking about movies I'm still amazed at how many consumers call an iPhone [320 x 480 resolution, 3.5″ wide screen], or other similar device, an amazing entertainment device. For music vids, some TnA maybe, YT videos, fine but why do people even bother watching theatrical releases on these things? FAR from amazing.
  • Reply 42 of 67
    slang4artslang4art Posts: 376member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by cbw87 View Post

If it's too complicated for you to filter out the stories that do and do not relate to the iPhone from the small number of articles posted each day, you really shouldn't be allowed on the internet. Apple make iPhones, get over it.

• Reply 43 of 67
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by Jimzip View Post

Sounds great! This must also mean a significant capacity update too no? I mean, movies are around 1.25 - 2.0GB each on the iTS. Unless they're going to provide specially encoded versions for the iPhone - which I don't see them doing, then that space could get eaten up really quickly.

Couple movie downloads with AV-Out and you've got yourself one pretty awesome mobile entertainment device though...

Jimzip

Which, despite being told about on another thread, you refused to believe would happen!

30 million plus Touch devices sold so far, thats a big potential customer base. Is it more than Blu-ray? likely yes, but will they actually BUY content?

not in any huge number, not at the current price the studios are demanding! but then studios really have the art of cutting off their nose to spite their face down to a fine art

---

oh yeah, how does this effect the "but the iPhone is crap because it doesn't have x,y,z, feature that other phones have had for years" crowd????

do other phones allow you to download TV shows and movies?

and more crucially for the dipwads, have those same phones been able to do this "for years"?
  • Reply 44 of 67
    solipsismsolipsism Posts: 25,726member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by Walter Slocombe View Post

Which, despite being told about on another thread, you refused to believe would happen!

30 million plus Touch devices sold so far, thats a big potential customer base. Is it more than Blu-ray? likely yes, but will they actually BUY content?

not in any huge number, not at the current price the studios are demanding! but then studios really have the art of cutting off their nose to spite their face down to a fine art

---

oh yeah, how does this effect the "but the iPhone is crap because it doesn't have x,y,z, feature that other phones have had for years" crowd????

do other phones allow you to download TV shows and movies?

and more crucially for the dipwads, have those same phones been able to do this "for years"?

Since it's highly likely the next iPhone will be able to play HD content, iTS HD content and YouTube HD content, both in 720p, will be playable. Even with a

32GB iPhone that isn't too much video and pointless if one only intended to watch on the small screen, but at least we won't have to downgrade our 720p content to play and can output to a TV easily.

Blu-ray certainly has its place as optical

media stadard for your home entertainment center, but it's already clear that digital media will win. It's just too convenient not to. Just like with the iTMS convenience beat out quality.

- - -

If this forum has taught me anything it's that the ones that Apple didn't do this or that first probably won't ever understand the difference between being first, being formidible, and being feasible. Teckstudian logic at its best.
  • Reply 45 of 67
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by success View Post

When speaking about movies I'm still amazed at how many consumers call an iPhone [320 x 480 resolution, 3.5″ wide screen], or other similar device, an amazing entertainment device. For music vids, some TnA maybe, YT videos, fine but why do people even bother watching theatrical releases on these things? FAR from amazing.

No one is saying it's ideal for watching movies on. That doesn't mean

it's not amazing entertainment device. Such opinions are quite relative and usually only relate to the class of devices it is in. Is a 60 HDTV playing a Blu-Ray movie in 1080p amazing? I'd say so but if it were compared to a movie shot with a RedOne camera and played at a digital

theater the opinion would shift in comparison.

I've watched plenty of movies on my iPhone. Sinc it's a small screen I just placed it closer to my face. I'm hoping that MyVu will dome out with a new setup with better specs ans integrates with the iPhone now that the 30-pin connector is open. That has an an een

smaller screen and less resolution but it's all relative.
  • Reply 46 of 67
    teckstudteckstud Posts: 6,476member
    Quote:

If it's too complicated for you to filter out the stories that do and do not relate to the iPhone from the small number of articles posted each day, you really shouldn't be allowed on the internet. Apple make iPhones, get over it.

YOu get over it. Apple makes more than iPhones but you'd never know it from the ridiculous proportion of iPhone article posted throughout the year at AI.

If the iPhones farts which it does (there's an App for that) you would obviously gobble it up and eat it for breakfast, lunch, and dinner.
  • Reply 47 of 67
    I actually felt compelled to make an account to post this.

The part about the iphone getting 802.11n having something to possibly do with downloading video directly to the phone is nonsense. The only way it'd make a difference is if your internet connection was faster than 54mbit.. and at 50mbit you'd download a full length movie in 4 minutes anyway, so what's the difference? Sure, you'd get better reception in certain situations, but trying to tie that in to people downloading huge files at wifi hotspots is silly - the vast majority of "on the go" hotspots would provide a lot less bandwidth, and if you're at home/work the advantage is awfully slim anyway.
  • Reply 48 of 67
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by solipsism View Post

Since it's highly likely the next iPhone will be able to play HD content, iTS HD content and YouTube HD content, both in 720p, will be playable. Even with a

32GB iPhone that isn't too much video and pointless if one only intended to watch on the small screen, but at least we won't have to downgrade our 720p content to play and can output to a TV easily.

I have over 600 films encoded in SD 1300 plus TV shows films work out around 1.2 GBs each dependant on length, 1hr 45 min 25 min TV shows vary as well. my own experience for travelling is that TV shows are the way to go, because there isn't that long commitment you have to make for a movie (I prefer my content in one "sitting") but it all works out around the same data rate though.

32GB is what I've been waiting on, but THAT ALONE won't get me to shift to a new iPhone (the manometer is a different thread though ) so while it would be nice, I think holding on for the 64GB is what I really am waiting for. HD content becoming the norm. will require even more storage being a pervasive FACT in average consumers lives, and that will likely take longer to happen than the hardware will to show up.

but we WILL get there, with Apple leading the way as usual.

Quote:

media stadard for your home entertainment center, but it's already clear that digital media will win. It's just too convenient not to. Just like with the iTMS convenience beat out quality.

yep BD discs beat internet fees, crappy rates and the potential for the connection to die! if you like your content uninterrupted and thats the way people are USED to it (ok ok I'll give you the VCR eating the tape! )

the thing is iTMS beat the CD because music was stationary.

iTMS has to take BDs niche AND beat the shear ubiquity of DVD, at least thats the order it seems it should be going in. but really its got to beat DVD like it beat CD. unlike CDs supposed replacement SACD, DVDs replacement BD seems to have a much firmer footing despite the HD battle. so video content is now a moving target.

I really can't say what will "win" one day its "obvious" BD will win, the next day not.

but, like the CD versus iTMS living side by side, why can't optical formats and an iTMS solution live side by side? For those of us who like our audio loss less and our picture quality pristine, but don't mind something quick and convenient as well

Quote:

- - -

If this forum has taught me anything it's that the ones that Apple didn't do this or that first probably won't ever understand the difference between being first, being formidible, and being feasible. Teckstudian logic at its best.

I hear ya.

Apple just take their time in order to be the first to make stuff USABLE without a degree course in second guessing programers

applying flawed logic never works - unless your captain Kirk, and only then, maybe.
  • Reply 49 of 67
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by matrim108 View Post

I actually felt compelled to make an account to post this.

The part about the iphone getting 802.11n having something to possibly do with downloading video directly to the phone is nonsense. The only way it'd make a difference is if your internet connection was faster than 54mbit.. and at 50mbit you'd download a full length movie in 4 minutes anyway, so what's the difference? Sure, you'd get better reception in certain situations, but trying to tie that in to people downloading huge files at wifi hotspots is silly - the vast majority of "on the go" hotspots would provide a lot less bandwidth, and if you're at home/work the advantage is awfully slim anyway.

welcome to the boards

wireless n in the iPhones/Touch will mean the potential for ALL the devices on your network to run at 5Ghz getting you out of the busy 2.4 band, that may or may not help individuals, it won't effect me though.

what it WILL bring to the iPhone/Tough though is increased RANGE which means a user can use skype at the far end of the garden so the husband/wife can't hear......

...... then Apple will get named in a divorce case....

just you wait!
  • Reply 50 of 67
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by Walter Slocombe View Post

the thing is iTMS beat the CD because music was stationary.

iTMS has to take BDs niche AND beat the shear ubiquity of DVD, at least thats the order it seems it should be going in. but really its got to beat DVD like it beat CD. unlike CDs supposed replacement SACD, DVDs replacement BD seems to have a much firmer footing despite the HD battle. so video content is now a moving target.

I really can't say what will "win" one day its "obvious" BD will win, the next day not.

Similiar fight on the service but there are many dynamics that make it a different battle. By winning, I meant selling more media as I did state that BR will be the ideal home entertainment option.

The battler between HD-DVD and BR saw helped digital downloads get a better foothold. It will be slower and we still haven?t seen an internet capable media extender that is great, which is why the AppleTV is still a hobby, but I?m sure Apple is trying to figure that one out, too.

The best move being made is by BR players that double as internet media extenders. They already have all the HW, even the ethernet, just throw in WiFi and the SW and you are pretty much set. Get Hulu or Netflix or Amazon or whomever to pay you for their store access and you are set. It doesn?t have to be as good as BR, just a supplement for it.
  • Reply 51 of 67
    cbw87cbw87 Posts: 36member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by teckstud View Post

YOu get over it. Apple makes more than iPhones but you'd never know it from the ridiculous proportion of iPhone article posted throughout the year at AI.

If the iPhones farts which it does (there's an App for that) you would obviously gobble it up and eat it for breakfast, lunch, and dinner.

Your average halfwit would know it from reading the regularly posted portion of stories that are non-iPhone.

Anyway, I'm bored of you.
  • Reply 52 of 67
    blah64blah64 Posts: 993member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by wilco View Post

When does the name of this place get changed to iphoneinsider.com?

Quote:
    Originally Posted by teckstud View Post

You got that right- I've been asking the same thing for the last 2 years. It's very tiresome.

Geez guys, look at the name of this site. It's called AppleInsider, not MacInsider.

Apple's product line is Mac, iPod, iPhone. The majority of us here are interested in all pieces of the puzzle.
  • Reply 53 of 67
    addaboxaddabox Posts: 12,665member
    Plus, there's going to be this little thing called the World Wide Developers Conference in a couple of weeks, where pretty much everybody knows the big news will be the announcement of the much anticipated new iPhone.

I think you'll notice that when there is new Mac hardware abrewin' there is an upswing in coverage re same, and when the next major point release of OS X is within hailing distance ditto.

Let's call it the "Gizmodo effect", wherein each and every mention of anything made by Apple looms enormous in the eyes of the haters till they are apoplectic at the idea that the site is a wholly owned subsidiary of the Cupertino based company (speaking of random irritants).

That is, when you get a bee in your bonnet about something you don't like, you disproportionally register every occurrence and get a skewed sense of frequency.
  • Reply 54 of 67
    hiimamachiimamac Posts: 584member
    Wow. Shocker. Again, this is why the iPhone will never live up to it's full potential. Instead if making the iPhone have the ability to view the thousands if free movies and tv shows, lame YouTube doesn't count, instead Apple wants to charge us for rentals.

Quote:
    Originally Posted by AppleInsider View Post

A new rumor, complete with supposed screenshots, maintains that Apple is on the verge of allowing movie and TV show downloads directly from an iPhone or iPod touch.

According to the blogger reporting the purported find, a friend who downloaded the latest version of the iPhone app TwitterFon claims to have discovered three mobile ads from Apple that pointed to "iTunes Movies," "iTunes Movie Rentals" and "iTunes TV."

Rather than take the visitor to a website, however, tapping one of the ads is said to switch to the mobile iTunes client and shows what appears to be a work-in-progress video section of Apple's mobile store. Viewers can browse genres and see featured items, but tapping the actual videos themselves produces a notice that the content is "not available." Promos for episodes and movies are missing.

The section was reportedly in a rough enough state when viewed that a navigation bar used to filter by music videos, movies and TV shows wasn't there at one point in the day and appeared the next. It's possible that Apple was building the portal in a live environment, the report suggests.

A video store would signal a loosening of the restrictions surrounding video downloads on the iPhone. Since adding the podcast section to the iTunes Store, Apple has allowed downloading video podcasts whenever one of its handheld devices is connected through Wi-Fi but has never permitted paid video downloads, in part because of the lengthy wait to download hundreds of megabytes of content.

While the authenticity of the rumor hasn't been corroborated outside of the seemingly real screenshots taken to show the new store portal's existence, its appearance comes just as Apple is poised to introduce 802.11n WiFi to its handhelds. The wireless standard is about four times faster than the 802.11g the iPhone and iPod touch use today and would significantly shorten the time spent waiting for downloads that would otherwise be interminable with fast-enough Internet connections or less-than-ideal WiFi reception.

The blogger's friend didn't make any assertions as to whether or not videos would work over 3G, though carrier concerns about overloading the network would most likely keep paid content restricted to WiFi in the same way that video podcasts are restricted today.

The testing would also come just a few weeks before Apple's Worldwide Developers Conference in June.

• Reply 55 of 67
    wilcowilco Posts: 985member
    Quote:

20 out of the 30 headlines on the homepage have to do with iPhones. Pull your head out of your ass.
  • Reply 56 of 67
    piotpiot Posts: 1,346member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by hiimamac View Post

Instead if making the iPhone have the ability to view the thousands if free movies and tv shows, lame YouTube doesn't count, instead Apple wants to charge us for rentals.

Serious questions. Which phones currently have the abilities that you need?
  • Reply 57 of 67
    hiimamachiimamac Posts: 584member
    Well my work phone, spring, would show all kinds of free tv, CNN, fox, sports and do on. HTC I think is the model. Of course, now the Palm Pre has flash. Visit most streaming tv/ shows or even trailers for movies. Only apple trailers are quick time heck, even mlb website offers hd steaming, in flash of course.

Quote:
    Originally Posted by AppleInsider View Post

A new rumor, complete with supposed screenshots, maintains that Apple is on the verge of allowing movie and TV show downloads directly from an iPhone or iPod touch.

According to the blogger reporting the purported find, a friend who downloaded the latest version of the iPhone app TwitterFon claims to have discovered three mobile ads from Apple that pointed to "iTunes Movies," "iTunes Movie Rentals" and "iTunes TV."

Rather than take the visitor to a website, however, tapping one of the ads is said to switch to the mobile iTunes client and shows what appears to be a work-in-progress video section of Apple's mobile store. Viewers can browse genres and see featured items, but tapping the actual videos themselves produces a notice that the content is "not available." Promos for episodes and movies are missing.

The section was reportedly in a rough enough state when viewed that a navigation bar used to filter by music videos, movies and TV shows wasn't there at one point in the day and appeared the next. It's possible that Apple was building the portal in a live environment, the report suggests.

A video store would signal a loosening of the restrictions surrounding video downloads on the iPhone. Since adding the podcast section to the iTunes Store, Apple has allowed downloading video podcasts whenever one of its handheld devices is connected through Wi-Fi but has never permitted paid video downloads, in part because of the lengthy wait to download hundreds of megabytes of content.

While the authenticity of the rumor hasn't been corroborated outside of the seemingly real screenshots taken to show the new store portal's existence, its appearance comes just as Apple is poised to introduce 802.11n WiFi to its handhelds. The wireless standard is about four times faster than the 802.11g the iPhone and iPod touch use today and would significantly shorten the time spent waiting for downloads that would otherwise be interminable with fast-enough Internet connections or less-than-ideal WiFi reception.

The blogger's friend didn't make any assertions as to whether or not videos would work over 3G, though carrier concerns about overloading the network would most likely keep paid content restricted to WiFi in the same way that video podcasts are restricted today.

The testing would also come just a few weeks before Apple's Worldwide Developers Conference in June.

Quote:
    Originally Posted by piot View Post

Serious questions. Which phones currently have the abilities that you need?

• Reply 58 of 67
    piotpiot Posts: 1,346member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by hiimamac View Post

Well my work phone, spring, would show all kinds of free tv, CNN, fox, sports and do on. HTC I think is the model. Of course, now the Palm Pre has flash. Visit most streaming tv/ shows or even trailers for movies. Only apple trailers are quick time heck, even mlb website offers hd steaming, in flash of course.

Sorry I don't understand what you are saying. What's "spring"?

So I guess what you are trying to say is that the iPhone can't play Flash content.

Which phones can?

How do these phones cope with streaming video files? (Flash likes the fans on my MacBook!)
  • Reply 59 of 67
    sdbryansdbryan Posts: 351member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by Virgil-TB2 View Post

...Another problem with this model (also exhibited with the current podcasts), is that if you download a podcast to your iPhone, (and presumably this will be the same with the shows and movies), when you finally get back to your computer, the sync is almost twice as long.

First the iPod/iPhone has to download the podcast you got "on the go" to the iTunes library, then it re-copies it back onto the phone as part of the regular sync. The first time I saw it doing that I thought WTF? Then I remembered that Apple has a long history of sucking when it comes to syncing technology in particular. Sadly, (and I hate to say it) MS has always been better at that.

What you are describing there sounds like the sandboxing security feature of mobile OS X. Apps on the iPhone simply do not have transparent access to each others file directories. This is part of a legitimate effort to prevent this new platform from becoming a cesspool of malware unlike what MS attitudes and carelessness lead to in the past.
  • Reply 60 of 67
    aizmovaizmov Posts: 989member
    1seg?

Quote:
    Originally Posted by solipsism

128GB iPhone

believe