32GB iPhone listed as AT&T trade-in; Rogers preps for launch

Posted:
in iPhone edited January 2014
An AT&T upgrade program for BlackBerries has listed a 32GB iPhone as a trade-in option. Simultaneously, Canadian cellular provider Rogers may be preparing for another summer iPhone release.

Apple's attempts to keep its iPhone plans silent may have become that much harder on Friday through a potential discovery of the larger-capacity iPhone in AT&T's system.

A BlackBerry Bold trade-up program run on behalf of AT&T, albeit by a third party, shows an "iPhone 32GB 3G" as one of the phones that can be handed in to get cash towards the Research in Motion smartphone. As Phone Arena notes, the handset is listed as worth $335, though it's unlikely this is connected to any final pricing.

At this point, it's uncertain whether this is a genuine addition or a speculative move on the part of the company running the service. None of the other iPhones in the list are unreleased models. However, it does follow an accidental post of a similar sort by T-Mobile Austria, which briefly showed a 32GB iPhone in its "coming soon" section only to pull it shortly afterwards.

The 32GB iPhone listed as a trade-in choice for moving to an AT&T BlackBerry Bold.

Whatever AT&T's state of readiness, its northern neighbor Rogers is now believed to be signaling its own readiness to carry a third-generation iPhone. A historical source of Boy Genius Report for information at the Canadian provider has provided early iPhone launch details that have it essentially repeating its approach to the iPhone 3G's debut last year.

Rogers doesn't say for certain when the next iPhone launches but, according to the tipster, expects it sometime in July or August. It will reportedly require once more that all iPhones be bought tied to three-year plans and that the initial wave of shoppers only buy one device each.

Unlike last year, though, the carrier is supposedly now anticipating a larger supply from Apple that will prevent the rationing and premature sellouts that defined the iPhone 3G launch in 2008.

Comments

• Reply 1 of 55
    addaboxaddabox Posts: 12,665member
    Why would a third party outfit ("Market Velocity") have any inside information as to the next iPhone?

And why would they be offering "trade-up" value on a phone that hasn't even been released yet? Were they expecting people to buy a new iPhone and then turn around and "trade-up" for a Blackberry?
  • Reply 2 of 55
    anantksundaramanantksundaram Posts: 20,404member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by addabox View Post

Why would a third party outfit ("Market Velocity") have any inside information as to the next iPhone?

And why would they be offering "trade-up" value on a phone that hasn't even been released yet? Were they expecting people to buy a new iPhone and then turn around and "trade-up" for a Blackberry?

Yeah.... I find this a somewhat confusing report. Having trouble making sense of it.
  • Reply 3 of 55
    randythotrandythot Posts: 109member
    I can't imagine how long the initial install, restores, and software updates will take with this size! *ugh*
  • Reply 4 of 55
    tofinotofino Posts: 697member
    somebody's gonna get fired!
  • Reply 5 of 55
    jeffdmjeffdm Posts: 12,951member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by randythot View Post

I can't imagine how long the initial install, restores, and software updates will take with this size! *ugh*

The software updates shouldn't be any bigger or take longer to install than any other model, I don't think software updates require reloading the media. For the new buyers, I do hope they do something to make transfers faster, getting new media onto the current models seems to be a needlessly slow process, I don't know if the USB controller in the phone is just slow or if the flash chips are really that slow.
  • Reply 6 of 55
    mactelmactel Posts: 1,275member
    32Gb iPhone - ah I wanted a 10Tb iPhone.

Seriously, we could see a 64Gb iPod Touch if the current line-up is any indication of the future. That's my hope at least.
  • Reply 7 of 55
    nvidia2008nvidia2008 Posts: 9,262member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by MacTel View Post

32Gb iPhone - ah I wanted a 10Tb iPhone.

Seriously, we could see a 64Gb iPod Touch if the current line-up is any indication of the future. That's my hope at least.

I'm surprised my 8GB iPhone 3G will probably last me another year or so.

The reason: I stopped buying iTunes Gift Cards online and racking up purchases from the iTunes Store. ...Cost saving measures in recession (I am not in the US so paying for music, tv and movies in USD is even more painful now).

But yeah iPhone 3G rev 2 should be 16GB and 32GB. It's got to have a front-facing camera, man, I mean, that's perfect for REAL MMS, 3G video calls and REAL "visual voicemail". I mean, direct access to voice messages is good, but direct access, tap to see a video voicemail left for you, would be some killer features.... Even if this is not big in the US, think Japan, China, Europe, other parts of Asia, Middle East and many, many countries around the world...

Touch should be bumped to 16, 32 and 64GB around the time iPhone 3G rev 2 is launched.

To think about it, no front-facing camera would still mean good sales and usage, but to be truly Apple, and truly "coming back for the encore to kick some more ass"... there should be a front-facing camera.

Them magnetomajig is definitely good for maps, and would help Apple/ third party turn-by-turn etc.

When I was figuring my way around London, the maps was good, but not knowing where North was and hence which way I was looking put a dampener on the GPS party.
  • Reply 8 of 55
    nvidia2008nvidia2008 Posts: 9,262member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by JeffDM View Post

The software updates shouldn't be any bigger or take longer to install than any other model, I don't think software updates require reloading the media. For the new buyers, I do hope they do something to make transfers faster, getting new media onto the current models seems to be a needlessly slow process, I don't know if the USB controller in the phone is just slow or if the flash chips are really that slow.

I think its both. It is a bit of a common complaint. If going to 64GB, I think the iPhone 3G rev 2 would have to have faster a flash memory/ controller.
  • Reply 9 of 55
    mrtotesmrtotes Posts: 760member
    Yeah but surely a 32GB iPhone is a certainty at some point in the future anyhow. And remember we saw Amazon offering iLife 07 -which seemed such an obvious release but it never happened.
  • Reply 10 of 55
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by nvidia2008 View Post

To think about it, no front-facing camera would still mean good sales and usage, but to be truly Apple, and truly "coming back for the encore to kick some more ass"... there should be a front-facing camera.

I suppose it's going to come eventually, but it doesn't sound like a feature that people other than phone geeks are actually clamoring for yet. As it is, most of the people that say that iPhone should have it eventually admit in one form or another that they don't actually make video calls if they own a video capable phone.
  • Reply 11 of 55
    teckstudteckstud Posts: 6,476member
    Cook and Jobs must be boiling mad.

Is there no end to AT&T's ineptitude?
  • Reply 12 of 55
    igod 2.0igod 2.0 Posts: 77member
    It might just be a mishap, hard to believe anyone would trade in a 32GB iPhone, but I am very intrigued to see how this will pan out. There has been so many signs of what's to come. One thing is for certain though, the device does exists in some fashion.
  • Reply 13 of 55
    brucepbrucep Posts: 2,823member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by AppleInsider View Post

An AT&T upgrade program for BlackBerries has listed a 32GB iPhone as a trade-in option. Simultaneously, Canadian cellular provider Rogers may be preparing for another summer iPhone release.

Apple's attempts to keep its iPhone plans silent may have become that much harder on Friday through a potential discovery of the larger-capacity iPhone in AT&T's system.

A BlackBerry Bold trade-up program run on behalf of AT&T, albeit by a third party, shows an "iPhone 32GB 3G" as one of the phones that can be handed in to get cash towards the Research in Motion smartphone. As Phone Arena notes, the handset is listed as worth $335, though it's unlikely this is connected to any final pricing.

At this point, it's uncertain whether this is a genuine addition or a speculative move on the part of the company running the service. None of the other iPhones in the list are unreleased models. However, it does follow an accidental post of a similar sort by T-Mobile Austria, which briefly showed a 32GB iPhone in its "coming soon" section only to pull it shortly afterwards.

The 32GB iPhone listed as a trade-in choice for moving to an AT&T BlackBerry Bold.

Whatever AT&T's state of readiness, its northern neighbor Rogers is now believed to be signaling its own readiness to carry a third-generation iPhone. A historical source of Boy Genius Report for information at the Canadian provider has provided early iPhone launch details that have it essentially repeating its approach to the iPhone 3G's debut last year.

Rogers doesn't say for certain when the next iPhone launches but, according to the tipster, expects it sometime in July or August. It will reportedly require once more that all iPhones be bought tied to three-year plans and that the initial wave of shoppers only buy one device each.

Unlike last year, though, the carrier is supposedly now anticipating a larger supply from Apple that will prevent the rationing and premature sellouts that defined the iPhone 3G launch in 2008.

this so stupid . all it confirms is a 32g model

the rest is asine . the blackberries are sold 2 for one right now . and a future un announced iphone will trade down for blackberries weak phone line up???

i wonder why teckspud is not here bitching about ....

i mean i am so stupid to read all these baseless rumours

i mean like a yellow scrap of paper was found in a laundry pocket in a south east tibet hand wash company . the paper was blank . but the FACT that it was yellow proves that the itablet will have 19 colours to choose from .

listen up every one !!!! what is wrong with us . we snatch every bit of mis- infomation we can ..

are we so apple addicted ??

are we not fan boy tech men ??

the last 12 articles contain no info . nothing new .

the articles themselves sometimes deny it self in the same article .

will brucep ever have 8000 posts ???

peace

• Reply 14 of 55
    solipsismsolipsism Posts: 25,726member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by mrtotes View Post

Yeah but surely a 32GB iPhone is a certainty at some point in the future anyhow. And remember we saw Amazon offering iLife 07 -which seemed such an obvious release but it never happened.

I think it?s one of those wishful and expected inventory additions in the same vain as Amazon.com?s site. The items are oddly organized and have descriptions switched around. There just isn?t enough uniformity for me to think it?s reliable.
  • Reply 15 of 55
    SpamSandwichSpamSandwich Posts: 33,407member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by Tofino View Post

somebody's gonna get fired!

"Blame Canada!"
  • Reply 16 of 55
    hillstoneshillstones Posts: 1,490member
    I like the discontinued models in the list.
  • Reply 17 of 55
    italiankiditaliankid Posts: 279member
    many Mac sites and other sites float around ideas to create hype.

It makes you visit the site more often, because humans tend to believe rumors...

A classic example is the 10.5.7 update... It was near ready for weeks and didn't come out until after 2 months of testing LOL

Rumors that a new iPhone will surface because its that time again.

Here is my rumor...

Apple releasing the next gen iPhone in August. It will have 32 gb, 1.5x better battery and faster processor (duh... of course it will...) but the biggest thing that it won't have are LIGHT LEAKS! LOL

Spread the rumor!!!
  • Reply 18 of 55
    virgil-tb2virgil-tb2 Posts: 1,416member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by JeffDM View Post

... I do hope they do something to make transfers faster, getting new media onto the current models seems to be a needlessly slow process, I don't know if the USB controller in the phone is just slow or if the flash chips are really that slow.

It's my experience when syncing the exact same media files both to my iPhone and my AppleTV the files go onto the AppleTV roughly twice as fast over the wireless as they do over the wired connection between the iPhone dock and the computer. It seems likely that if the new iPhone (as rumoured), has a better controller, a faster processor and wireless n, that transfer speeds will be increased but there is definitely something "off" there.

I know Wireless N is technically supposed to be a bit faster than USB 2.0, but it sure seems wacky. We are told that we don't have wireless syncing because it's supposedly "too slow," but I can send data wirelessly over a hundred feet in my house, faster than I can send data through that dedicated cable which is only a few inches long.

Perhaps Gruber is right and it's just the inherent lameness of the iPhone 3G processor that makes everything seem to take forever. Heartening if true.

• Reply 19 of 55
    solipsismsolipsism Posts: 25,726member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by Virgil-TB2 View Post

I know Wireless N is technically supposed to be a bit faster than USB 2.0, but it sure seems wacky. We are told that we don't have wireless syncing because it's supposedly "too slow," but I can send data wirelessly over a hundred feet in my house, faster than I can send data through that dedicated cable which is only a few inches long.

Perhaps Gruber is right and it's just the inherent lameness of the iPhone 3G processor that makes everything seem to take forever. Heartening if true.

It?s more than the processor, there are many things that are not helping the speed in such a small device. It should get noticeably faster but I don?t think that full media syncing over WiFi will be a good idea and it surely won?t get 2x as fast from being pulled from iTunes to being put on the iDevice so if you are moving to a higher capacity player it will take longer than before to sync.

I know a lot of us here would love the convenience of syncing over WiFi (I don?t understand the occasional sync via Bluetooth comments) but we know that this is slow and will use a good deal of power for the transfer so we?ll think to monitor that. I doubt Apple would expect their average non-techy customer to do the same. Unless the power usage is low for the size battery on the 32GB model I doubt it will be available. Plus, it would also mean a change to the way iTunes senses connected devices. Not a big coding deal with Bonjour but significant enough to probably not warrant the extra wrench in the works.

I also the expect the speed of the 802.11n chip to be abysmal in comparison to pretty much any other 802.11 device. Besides the CPU and potential RAM limitations available to WiFi I?m wagering that the chip isn?t even designed to be capable of that kind of speed if it has a more limited antenna setup. I?d wager that it?s only be used to allow to connections of 802.11n and the 5GHz spectrum, and to connect to routers that are farther away. Though this really only helps in personal LANs at the moment.
  • Reply 20 of 55
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by Virgil-TB2 View Post

It's my experience when syncing the exact same media files both to my iPhone and my AppleTV the files go onto the AppleTV roughly twice as fast over the wireless as they do over the wired connection between the iPhone dock and the computer. It seems likely that if the new iPhone (as rumoured), has a better controller, a faster processor and wireless n, that transfer speeds will be increased but there is definitely something "off" there.

It looks like WiFi N has a max bit rate of 600Mbps, one good Intel chipset has a max of 450. But that I've heard on practical transfer rate, it's just over 200Mbps of actual data transfer assuming a strong connection, because wireless has a lot of overhead. A rough rule of thumb is 40% to 50% of the advertised signal rate with one good link. A weaker link negotiates down to a slower transfer rate. AppleTV does have a pretty solid processor too, I think its clock is 3x that of the iPhone.

I'm sure there may be several factors limiting the transfer speed on the current iPhone, I hope they can do what it takes to speed it up a bit.