HP's new mini note book

Posted:
in General Discussion edited January 2014
What is with HP? It is cool that they created a new "mini note book" but what kind of use can you get out of that? Click the link below...



http://www.shopping.hp.com/webapp/sh...archTop=%C2%BB



Anyway the past PC commercials about PC monitor size and power is struck down when HP intros a Laptop with only.



Starting at specs:

Genuine Windows XP Home

Intel Atom processor N270

512MB memory

16GB solid state drive

Optional edge-to-edge display



Intel Graphics Media Accelerator 950

Wireless-G card

Integrated webcam & microphone

92% full size keyboard

ENERGY STAR® qualified

From $299.99*



What can you possibly do with 16 GB of HD space and how much does the OS take up?

512 MB of memory? It maybe small and cheap, but is it worth the trouble? They have a commercial with a lady saying that the 13' laptop for mac is too small and then a commercial with a young boy who wants super game play and blue ray and now they make a computer with no Memory and little HD space with a tiny screen. I am very confused at this.



Very Confused.
«1

Comments

  • Reply 1 of 33
    futurepastnowfuturepastnow Posts: 1,772member
    It's a netbook. It's for throwing in a bag to travel with and surf the web. If you're surprised by them, you've been living under a rock or something.



    Anyway, to answer your questions, Windows XP is going to use about a fourth of that 16GB SSD. And 512 megs of RAM is kind of iffy but OK for a netbook's intended usage.



    ...why are you confused?
  • Reply 2 of 33
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by FuturePastNow View Post


    It's a netbook. It's for throwing in a bag to travel with and surf the web. If you're surprised by them, you've been living under a rock or something.



    Anyway, to answer your questions, Windows XP is going to use about a fourth of that 16GB SSD. And 512 megs of RAM is kind of iffy but OK for a netbook's intended usage.



    ...why are you confused?



    I not surprised by the product. I am surprised they are pushing it with all the PC vs. Mac commercials they have. I think it would be better just having an IPhone or a Black Berry is it not the same?
  • Reply 3 of 33
    futurepastnowfuturepastnow Posts: 1,772member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by RussellSakay View Post


    I not surprised by the product. I am surprised they are pushing it with all the PC vs. Mac commercials they have. I think it would be better just having an IPhone or a Black Berry is it not the same?



    Well, not to defend some stupid commercials, but the basic message of those ads is that "PC" offers more choices, big and small. Even if netbooks aren't particularly great computers, they certainly have found and filled a niche in the market.



    And one of the arguments for netbooks is that they can run normal Windows (or Linux, or OSX if you're a little creative) applications, provided those apps don't need much CPU or graphics power. That is certainly something no cell phone can do. Most peoples' mobile browsing needs would be satisfied by an iPhone or other smartphone, sure, but you never know. A mini-laptop can be useful for some.



    If you want to analyze contradictions/hypocrisy in advertising, you're in for a lifetime of frustration.
  • Reply 4 of 33
    lathodelathode Posts: 4member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by RussellSakay View Post


    I not surprised by the product. I am surprised they are pushing it with all the PC vs. Mac commercials they have. I think it would be better just having an IPhone or a Black Berry is it not the same?



    Are you going to use a phone to type a lecture while in class? And why are you picking HP in complaining about netbooks? The Asus Eee PC was the first to make netbooks mainstream. Also, what's wrong with more choices?
  • Reply 5 of 33
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by lathode View Post


    Are you going to use a phone to type a lecture while in class? And why are you picking HP in complaining about netbooks? The Asus Eee PC was the first to make netbooks mainstream. Also, what's wrong with more choices?



    Why are you attacking me, wow anger issues with you people.



    The HP net book does not have enough Memory or hard drive space to run even Microsoft Office let alone support the need to write a lecture. I was commenting on the advertisement timing that's all I have no problem with the net book.



    Relax and take a chill pill...
  • Reply 6 of 33
    Wow, shows what you know. I have one of those HP mini notebooks and it runs microsoft office 2007 very quickly. I even installed WIndows 7 on it and it made the notebok faster than when it had Windows XP. Your arguement is soo stupid it makes my head hurt. It's like saying why is mercedes releasing a new entry level car when they have all these advertisments saying their AMG performance cars are better than BMW's M-series. I don't even know what to say, I became stupider just by reading your stupid rant. You are trying to compare a $300 netbook to a $2000 apple laptop. Sure you cant do hardcore video editing but you can easily run photoshop CS4 and AutoCAD 2009 and almost any other program that isn't a high-end video game.
  • Reply 7 of 33
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by errorunknown View Post


    Wow, shows what you know. I have one of those HP mini notebooks and it runs microsoft office 2007 very quickly. I even installed WIndows 7 on it and it made the notebok faster than when it had Windows XP. Your arguement is soo stupid it makes my head hurt. It's like saying why is mercedes releasing a new entry level car when they have all these advertisments saying their AMG performance cars are better than BMW's M-series. I don't even know what to say, I became stupider just by reading your stupid rant. You are trying to compare a $300 netbook to a $2000 apple laptop. Sure you cant do hardcore video editing but you can easily run photoshop CS4 and AutoCAD 2009 and almost any other program that isn't a high-end video game.



    I feel real sorry for you and I apologize for the piece of shit you now own. I am sorry you can't afford a real computer. If 300.00 works for you and your 9" eye sight, then cool. I was talking about the commercial not the fucking product itself. So please again take a chill pill.



    BTW...

    You are using outdated programs so you can use a product that functions no better then an over sized iPhone or black berry. If you really wanted to save money and time, buy a PEN, A SPIRAL BOUND NOTE BOOK AND A CHEAP CELL PHONE, you could splurge alittle with a trapper keeper since you like old and outdated school material, perhaps even a book bag that I trust won't crash on you like windows 7 "was it?" A calculator is good too, would you like me to price these school supplies out for you?



    How about this I will send you the stuff and you can be at ease with your out dated net book in a flee market being sold to a 9 month old child like mine who loves nothing better but to hit the keys and make fun noises. Netbooks make a great first time baby computer.
  • Reply 8 of 33
    futurepastnowfuturepastnow Posts: 1,772member
    Ah, now the real Russell comes out.
  • Reply 9 of 33
    vineavinea Posts: 5,585member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by RussellSakay View Post


    I feel real sorry for you and I apologize for the piece of shit you now own. I am sorry you can't afford a real computer. If 300.00 works for you and your 9" eye sight, then cool. I was talking about the commercial not the fucking product itself. So please again take a chill pill.



    BTW...

    You are using outdated programs so you can use a product that functions no better then an over sized iPhone or black berry. If you really wanted to save money and time, buy a PEN, A SPIRAL BOUND NOTE BOOK AND A CHEAP CELL PHONE, you could splurge alittle with a trapper keeper since you like old and outdated school material, perhaps even a book bag that I trust won't crash on you like windows 7 "was it?" A calculator is good too, would you like me to price these school supplies out for you?



    How about this I will send you the stuff and you can be at ease with your out dated net book in a flee market being sold to a 9 month old child like mine who loves nothing better but to hit the keys and make fun noises. Netbooks make a great first time baby computer.



    I like my Lenovo netbook. It's been really handy and far more useful than a close minded person...
  • Reply 10 of 33
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by FuturePastNow View Post


    Ah, now the real Russell comes out.



    I was just posting the same attitude you had with me, calling my names and being ignorant all the same. I am sorry you can't take it back.



    Have a very small day in your small world.
  • Reply 11 of 33
    futurepastnowfuturepastnow Posts: 1,772member
    You are the only person in this thread who seems to have attitude and anger issues, Russell.
  • Reply 12 of 33
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by FuturePastNow View Post


    You are the only person in this thread who seems to have attitude and anger issues, Russell.



    I don't ave any problem with the product, well... perhaps the fact that the last poster has one and needed to down grade or use old programs just to be appeased by it. Perhaps there is a fine difference between a Netbook and a Laptop, but trying to make a Netbook do the same tricks as a laptop can by using old and outdated OS and Word Software is beyond me. I tells me the first true thing about that person is CHEAP.



    Sorry
  • Reply 13 of 33
    aquaticaquatic Posts: 5,602member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by RussellSakay View Post


    I don't ave any problem with the product, well... perhaps the fact that the last poster has one and needed to down grade or use old programs just to be appeased by it. Perhaps there is a fine difference between a Netbook and a Laptop, but trying to make a Netbook do the same tricks as a laptop can by using old and outdated OS and Word Software is beyond me. I tells me the first true thing about that person is CHEAP.



    Sorry



    Dude, some people are POOR. Like me. That's why I have a MacBook from three years ago. And I worked my ass off to get it. Before that, I worked to buy myself an old display model iBook, and then a PBG4 12". Man that thing was so small and awesome, I kinda miss it. Anyway no offense, but are you in the working world, or still in school? And by the way, in my experience, a lot of old software is BETTER. Especially in terms of performance, let alone interface.
  • Reply 14 of 33
    vineavinea Posts: 5,585member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by RussellSakay View Post


    I don't ave any problem with the product, well... perhaps the fact that the last poster has one and needed to down grade or use old programs just to be appeased by it. Perhaps there is a fine difference between a Netbook and a Laptop, but trying to make a Netbook do the same tricks as a laptop can by using old and outdated OS and Word Software is beyond me. I tells me the first true thing about that person is CHEAP.



    Sorry



    I run the lastest office (2007) on my netbook. Flash is a tad slow. But flash is a tad slow on nearly every damn computer I have.



    The only things I don't try to run on my netbook is any graphics intensive games or apps.
  • Reply 15 of 33
    nikon133nikon133 Posts: 2,600member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by RussellSakay View Post


    What is with HP? It is cool that they created a new "mini note book" but what kind of use can you get out of that? Click the link below...



    http://www.shopping.hp.com/webapp/sh...archTop=%C2%BB



    Anyway the past PC commercials about PC monitor size and power is struck down when HP intros a Laptop with only.



    Starting at specs:

    Genuine Windows XP Home

    Intel Atom processor N270

    512MB memory

    16GB solid state drive

    Optional edge-to-edge display



    Intel Graphics Media Accelerator 950

    Wireless-G card

    Integrated webcam & microphone

    92% full size keyboard

    ENERGY STAR® qualified

    From $299.99*



    What can you possibly do with 16 GB of HD space and how much does the OS take up?

    512 MB of memory? It maybe small and cheap, but is it worth the trouble? They have a commercial with a lady saying that the 13' laptop for mac is too small and then a commercial with a young boy who wants super game play and blue ray and now they make a computer with no Memory and little HD space with a tiny screen. I am very confused at this.



    Very Confused.



    I still have Toshiba Satellite 1000 that came with P3 CPU, 128MB of RAM, 15GB HDD and XP Home. During the time it was upgraded to 512MB of RAM. We're still using it occasionaly for web. It sits by the couch and if I want to find some info on the web and am feeling too lazy to get up and grab new laptop - or go to desktop - I'll use it.



    XP Home clean install should not take more than 2GB. 512MB of RAM is OK for casual use in XP Home - email, Internet, some minor typing, watching photos etc.
  • Reply 16 of 33
    nikon133nikon133 Posts: 2,600member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by RussellSakay View Post


    I not surprised by the product. I am surprised they are pushing it with all the PC vs. Mac commercials they have. I think it would be better just having an IPhone or a Black Berry is it not the same?



    Well... it has much bigger screen, almost normal keyboard and you can install full-size applications on it if yon need them. MS Office will work just fine, for example, and you'll have no problem typing in Word on the go. Or doing huge emails. Or posting in forums. Or dumping photos from your digital camera.



    Most netbooks will come with standard HDD as well, so you can choose between solid-state drive - faster, less power consumption, less heat, lighter, not sensitive to bumps... or normal HDD with much bigger capacity. If you go for SSD, you can keep external UB HDD for additional storage on the go.



    I don't think iPhone/BlackBerry can fully replace computer - even a really small one.
  • Reply 17 of 33
    nikon133nikon133 Posts: 2,600member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by FuturePastNow View Post


    Ah, now the real Russell comes out.



    (Now that is familiar. Isn't he the guy who's Macbook was able to play BR disks...? )
  • Reply 18 of 33
    nikon133nikon133 Posts: 2,600member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by RussellSakay View Post


    I don't ave any problem with the product, well... perhaps the fact that the last poster has one and needed to down grade or use old programs just to be appeased by it. Perhaps there is a fine difference between a Netbook and a Laptop, but trying to make a Netbook do the same tricks as a laptop can by using old and outdated OS and Word Software is beyond me. I tells me the first true thing about that person is CHEAP.



    Sorry



    Well he is using Office 2007 on it. There is no newer office for Windows anyway.



    If you browse through the forums, you'll find many people who have installed OSX on their netbooks, and are using them with latest iLife and iWork suites. There is nothing old and outdated there as well.



    You'd be surprised how few programs actually require power of latest Core 2 duo or Quad processors...
  • Reply 19 of 33
    You know its the closed-minded people like russell that brought the world's economy to its knees. People like him think you need the latest and greatest $2500 macbook pro to look at your email and watch youtube videos or whatever he does to get over his temper tantrums.



    And besides, Russell is a troll that thinks his new $1400 13.9" macbook plays bluray discs.





    Posted By RussellSakay

    Fuck You



    How is this for Epic...



    FUCK YOU ALL







    Posted By RussellSakay

    I called Apple and they said it does.



    When I post a statement I first make sure that it is true. I called Apple and questioned them about the subject. And they said my computer does play Blue Ray.
  • Reply 20 of 33
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by vinea View Post


    I run the lastest office (2007) on my netbook. Flash is a tad slow. But flash is a tad slow on nearly every damn computer I have.



    The only things I don't try to run on my netbook is any graphics intensive games or apps.



    That's great... confused as to why, but, whatever. Cool for you.
Sign In or Register to comment.