Network problems...

Posted:
in macOS edited January 2014
In order to connect to my home file servers from work, I set them up to be WebDAV servers. However, I'm having a bit of a problem with Jaguar.

If I connect to the server from home, everything is fine. However, when I take my computer to work, I run into big problems.

Here's the order that everything happens: (let's assume my server is called "DAV")

1) I get to work...

2) I click on the "DAV" server icon.

3) The icon disappears (this isn't too surprising because the computer is behind a firewall)

4) I reset my proxy list in Network Preferences.

5) I try to reconnect to "DAV".

On step 5, I keep getting error # -36 (I really wish Apple could come up with something more descriptive than that).

I see that /Volumes/DAV is still hanging around on my machine. I try to delete it (using the sudo command) with no luck. The only way I can get rid of the directory is to reboot my machine. By the way, the shutdown hangs when I try this, so I'm stuck having to hold down the power button and then waiting about 5 minutes for the startup with the disk undergoes 'fsck'.

Once the machine reboots, I'm able to connect to "DAV" without troubles. However, when I take the machine home, I get the exact same problem.

A couple of questions:

1) Obviously, I'm doing something wrong, because it seems difficult to believe that Apple didn't intend people who have laptops to actually travel with them. And, since iDisk uses the webDAV technology, it would seem that iDisk users who travel would have similar problems.

2) Are there any plans for Apple to use a journalling file system? This 5 minute wait after a sudden shutdown seems so archaic.

3) Why do I have to change my network preferences when I go to work? When I hook into my work network, why can't the computer figure out from the DHCP server that I'm probably connected to my work network and automatically use my work preferences? Windows 98 does this automatically (it just works )

Comments

• Reply 1 of 3
    bumping this up because I'm getting more and more frustrated by the continual network problems of jaguar.

For instance...

I set in my login items to mount my file servers... What a big mistake that was.

Here's what happens.

1) I log in and my servers get mounted

2) While I'm at work, my wife logs me out so that she can use her account

3) When I get home, I log her out so I can do some work.

4) When I try to log in on my account, the machine just hangs on me while it tries to remount those servers.

5) I have to force restart the computer and wait about 5 minutes for the automatic fsck upton the forced reboot.

I'm beginning to think that the developers at Apple never actually use their computers in a multi-user environment. I'm also pretty sure that they never travel with their laptops.
  • Reply 2 of 3
    chuckerchucker Posts: 5,089member
    I'm a bit frustrated about this as well, but Windows isn't much better at networking (speaking from experience with 95, 98, 98SE, ME, 2k, XP - literally every major version).

I have an iBook and mostly use it at home, but sometimes also at work.

At home, there's a small SMB network consisting of one Linux router computer (which is actually an old Mac clone) and several PeeCee - and the iBook. Once I'm connected, the network works fine and tends to be quite fast.

BUT: The Connect to Server... command often can't find the workgroups. Sometimes it just shows up the router, sometimes no computer, and sometimes the one I last connected to. Don't ask me why.

At work, it's similarly. They have both an AFP and an SMB network. I don't understand how to make use of the "Network" part of the file structure as seen in the finder though.
  • Reply 3 of 3
    I can speak of my linux experience...

Usually disks get mounted via an automounter. In other words, if I try to use a directory, it will automatically be mounted for me. If I stop using the directory, it gets unmounted after a configurable amount of time.

It seems like this should be possible within Apple's OS, but finding out how to do it has been damned near impossible.

Also, even if a user wanted to mount a disk, the next time I go to mount that disk, I would think that it would either fail or succeed immediately. Hanging the system is really not acceptable.

Apple is in desperate need of QA people who will actually try to use a Mac while hooked up to a windows network and also people who travel with their Macs.