Apple can't be this sneaky?

Posted:
in macOS edited January 2014
I was one of the people who bought an Apple computer between July and August and through Apples up to date program, received Jaguar in the mail for $19.95. I upgraded 10.1.5 to 10.2 the day I got the cd's, but recently I found my computer to be a little sluggish. Wondering if it was because I upgraded and not a clean install, I decided to get the Jag cd's out again to do a clean install. But to my surprise, there was no option for a clean install.These cd's are for upgrading only!! How cheap is that? It doesn't cost Apple any more to make full retail version cd. I'm royally pissed off at Apple. I wouldn't have paid the twenty bucks if they had made that more clear!

Comments

• Reply 1 of 12
    To be perfectly honest, that seems pretty normal to me. That is the whole point of the up-to-date program; to UPDATE your version of the Mac OS. Apple still wants you to use the machine specific restore CD's that came with your system, so that you can have the bundle that came with it...then just run the updater to 10.2.
  • Reply 2 of 12
    same thing happened with my 17" iMac that i ordered. shipped with 10.1.5 and had 10.2 "upgrade" cd's.

needless to say i borrowed the full version and just did a clean install of 10.2

it's much faster. and for some reason it hasn't bothered me one bit.
  • Reply 3 of 12
    ...and Apple wonders why people pirate software.
  • Reply 4 of 12
    [quote]Originally posted by viking:

<strong>...and Apple wonders why people pirate software. </strong><hr></blockquote>

That's no excuse to pirate. Show some integrity.
  • Reply 5 of 12
    There's a fix for this some where on the internet. Check the macnn forums to see what people have done to make the cd into the full version. And, this is no reason to pirate software. You got what you paid for, right?
  • Reply 6 of 12
    I don't pirate software, I'm just saying that this would probably be a reason to do so. I mean, I'm stuck with either 10.1.5 or a "slow" upgrade of Jaguar and I just bought my computer. Do you think it makes any sense to go pay for Jaguar just to be able to do a clean install? Thats sneaky in my book.
  • Reply 7 of 12
    defiantdefiant Posts: 4,876member
    [quote]Originally posted by viking:

<strong>I don't pirate software, I'm just saying that this would probably be a reason to do so. I mean, I'm stuck with either 10.1.5 or a "slow" upgrade of Jaguar and I just bought my computer. Do you think it makes any sense to go pay for Jaguar just to be able to do a clean install? Thats sneaky in my book.</strong><hr></blockquote>

actually, there's no need for a hack. just choose to wipe out your HD before you'll install.

this way, the installer is forced to install everything from scratch.

HTH
  • Reply 8 of 12
    [quote]Originally posted by Defiant:

<strong>

actually, there's no need for a hack. just choose to wipe out your HD before you'll install.

this way, the installer is forced to install everything from scratch.

HTH </strong><hr></blockquote>

I do not believe that that is an option with the upgrade CD's, however, it is possible to restore the clean install option on the update disks.

Viking, I had the same problem, never fear. To avoid too much repetition, here is the thread in which I raised this issue(it includes linkage to instructions on how to get your clean install option): <a href="http://forums.appleinsider.com/cgi-bin/ultimatebb.cgi?ubb=get_topic&f=7&t=001652"; target="_blank">http://forums.appleinsider.com/cgi-bin/ultimatebb.cgi?ubb=get_topic&f=7&t=001652</a>;
  • Reply 9 of 12
    progmacprogmac Posts: 1,850member
    As I understand it, buying the Upgrade disk buys you a license for OS X 10.2, hence using full install CDs wouldn't be pirating. Am I missing something?
  • Reply 10 of 12
    Do the upgrade CDs not have the "Archive and Install" option, which is basicaly a clean install without the reformat?

It moves all your old stuff to a folder called "Previous System" and installs all new System Folder, preserves your user folder and saves all your third party apps and Apple Apps that have not been updated.

In tests that I have read it offers the same performance as a full erase and install without the hassle of starting from scratch.

--PB
  • Reply 11 of 12
    tulkastulkas Posts: 3,757member
    I thought I had read the fix for this is the same as for the 10.1 upgrade discs. Using a util like TomeViewer, can't you strip out the chkosx package and then burn a CD sans the OSX checking?

Regardless, the Uptodate program gave you what you oaid for. You paid for a computer with 10.1, with the promise of a $20 10.2 upgrade, which you got.
  • Reply 12 of 12
    pyr3pyr3 Posts: 946member
    I didn't need to pirate. =) I have ADC, so I just had to run on the upgrade version until the full version came free from good ole apple.