Windows 7 vs. Snow Leopard: Microsoft's comeback plan

123457»

Comments

• Reply 121 of 124
    taurontauron Posts: 911member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by DGNR8 View Post

We have to beta test every Windows version that rolls down the pipe.

Although the entire IT Department lives and dies on Mac's the rest of the Corporate and Manufacturing infrastructure runs on Windows.

They have to because of the infrastructure and the programs accounting, engineering and manufacturing HAVE TO USE.

We would love to move to a mac environment but that is not possible, and believe me we have tried time and time again.

Our only success has been migrating users to the iPhone and exiting the endless nightmare that is Blackberry Administration.

But back to my point, I have to say XP SP3 is and excellent OS to manage and care for with few problems (We managed over 200 PC's and Laptops) if you have a protected infrastructure i.e. Barricuda, double layer firewalls, proxy servers, ect ect.

I would say we have had more problems with poor hardware (Hardware claiming to be solid for business's then come to find out there is a design flaw or manufacturing flaw from engineers after you have deployed 10 - 20 pieces in a live environment.) than Windows over the last 18 months.

When Vista came out we had already been beta testing (Albeit Vista Ultimate Beta) and we had a ton of problems, as have been noted around the web, but it was usable to some extent for admin personal (ONLY).

But when we order a bulk lot of some desktops and laptops preloaded with Vista Business we were almost fired because of it.

One of the biggest problems we faced was legacy applications i.e. AutoCad, MathCad, SolidWorks, OrcaFlex ect. ect.

We had a blue-screen failure rate of 35% which was a complete disaster for the IT department.

Had it not been our equipment represenitive (Do not want to name the PC mfg so as not to upset those Texans) helping us with XP licenses I don't know what we would have done.

I dont think we worked a day under 15 hours for about a month straight (Yes 7 days a week)

Now we are testing Windows 7 and to be honest we a very sceptical.

Let me tell you, it has fixed a lot of the problems we had in Vista but now we have a host of new ones

I am not here to pinpoint every little problem with 7 other than to say there are some seriouse problems with domain, drive mappings to samba servers ect. ect. (I know it is still beta).

I do hope that they fix these problems before they roll out the gold master.

We were already told from the CEO and CFO "You skipped the Vista rollout and now we are a version behind, we are not skipping the next one."

My point to this rambling is this, 7 is great for the user experience and people are seeing it but it still is going to have issues I think for companies and IT departments.

Officers, controllers, managers of companies don't care what it takes to "Make it work" but I can see a lot of IT guys stressing out over this.

I feel bad for those one man IT guys in a small companies.

You might want to pick out a new bed for your office.

You should quit and go work for an IT department that manages macs so your life will be less of a headache. I don't understand PC IT people... they are always stressed out and the computers they maintain end up having 1/2 the productivity of macs, if that. Do you wanna waste your life like that?
  • Reply 122 of 124
    kaiwaikaiwai Posts: 246member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by Tauron View Post

You should quit and go work for an IT department that manages macs so your life will be less of a headache. I don't understand PC IT people... they are always stressed out and the computers they maintain end up having 1/2 the productivity of macs, if that. Do you wanna waste your life like that?

PC administrators who complain about Mac's tend to not have the slightest clue about information technology. It leaves me confused how PC admins are confused to the idea clients who authenticate themselves against a directory server and the user directory is mounted to the user directory on the computer so all user related stuff is automatically saved to the server.

Its a confusing system because so many PC admins are stuck in the days of peer to peer networking whilst the rest of the world have moved on.
  • Reply 123 of 124
    columbuscolumbus Posts: 282member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by timgriff84 View Post

Er so what, its not Microsoft's fault they have been ordered that they have to provide versions of their OS that don't include the software that could be considered to gain an advantage over competition.

Actually, it is all their fault.

They are living with the consequences of their actions.
  • Reply 124 of 124
    macfindermacfinder Posts: 32member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by kotatsu View Post

Make their computers 'usable'? Oh please. So you are saying all those millions of vista machines around the world don't work? I have two of them and funnily enough, they work just fine. The ridiculous lies spread by Mac zealots is hilarious.

The word "usable" doesn't mean "can be used",

it does mean "convenient to use".

Despite the fact PCs CAN be used,

THEY ARE NOT convenient to use ! ! !

P.S.Here's your Ol' Yoda English :

http://www.yodaspeak.co.uk/index.php

Despite the fact PCs used can be,

Convenient to use THEY ARE NOT ! ! ! Yeesssssss.