Icon for iPhone 2,1 appears in latest iPhone SDK

Comments

• Reply 21 of 55
    solipsismsolipsism Posts: 25,726member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by MTO View Post

To me there does appear to be a slight difference in the current icon and the up coming phone. Either it looks ever so thinner or possibly a lighter color such as silver. And to my eye even the white iPhone icons look like there is a depth difference. The difference is just great enough that I'm ruling out psychological influences or wishful thinking.

hehe I thought the same thing as you and decided that it might be psychological. Even if the image is slightly thinner that doesn?t rule out a slightly different rotation. The image is just too small.
  • Reply 22 of 55
    Why would Apple change the appearance? Apple has a history of introducing a new product and then coasting for several years. Seriously, when was the last time anyone was genuinely surprised by a major Apple product update? I read "long overdue" and "its about time" almost every time Apple updates a product. I'll bet the look of the iPhone doesn't change for another 3 years, Jobs likes it, Apple likes it, they're making plenty of money off of it. Remember, Apple doesn't even really distinguish between the looks of their unibody Macbook and Macbook Pro lines (and think of how long titanium lasted before that), they find what they like and stick to it.
  • Reply 23 of 55
    paxmanpaxman Posts: 4,729member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by MTO View Post

To me there does appear to be a slight difference in the current icon and the up coming phone. Either it looks ever so thinner or possibly a lighter color such as silver. And to my eye even the white iPhone icons look like there is a depth difference. The difference is just great enough that I'm ruling out psychological influences or wishful thinking.

I sense there is a certain 'otherness' about the images which leads me to feel (with other worldly certainty) the 2.1 is 14.3 grams lighter. Wait... I see wheeels... dang nabbit! I am sure this new model has wheels!
  • Reply 24 of 55
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by pixelcruncher View Post

Why would Apple change the appearance? Apple has a history of introducing a new product and then coasting for several years. Seriously, when was the last time anyone was genuinely surprised by a major Apple product update?

Part of the expectation is the significant visual changes between the first 2 iPhones. But that was a different situation. I’d expect any thickening, thinning, sensor or button changes to be technical and everything else stay the same visually.
  • Reply 25 of 55
    teckstudteckstud Posts: 6,476member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by anantksundaram View Post

Sometimes I wish Apple would diversify from ATT only for the reason that it'll stop the constant caterwauling by some on this forum (e.g., he-who-shall-not-be-named)!

AT&T SUCKS- we all know that. Even those with iPhones admit it.

Happy Memorial Day everybody!

Back to my BBQ.
  • Reply 26 of 55
    anantksundaramanantksundaram Posts: 20,403member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by teckstud View Post

AT&T SUCKS- we all know that. Even those with iPhones admit it.

Happy Memorial Day everybody!

Back to my BBQ.

Oh no! I woke him up!!!

Seriously, happy Memorial Day to you too!
  • Reply 27 of 55
    steven csteven c Posts: 8member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by solipsism View Post

Part of the expectation is the significant visual changes between the first 2 iPhones. But that was a different situation. I’d expect any thickening, thinning, sensor or button changes to be technical and everything else stay the same visually.

The Iphone 3,1 will be released at the LATEST next year, definitely not the year after. It is still expected to release within 2009 alongside the 2,1 or at an event close to WWDC. Also keep in mind that both the Iphone 2,1 and Iphone 3,1 were intended to use the 3.0 software.
  • Reply 28 of 55
    Quote:

Probably next year or the year after that. The original iPhone was referred to as iPhone 1,1 and the iPhone 3G was given iPhone 1,2, probably on account that very little internal HW had changed despite the addition of the 3G radios, GPS chip, and new case design.

The Iphone 3,1 will be released at the LATEST next year, definitely not the year after. It is still expected to release within 2009 alongside the 2,1 or at an event close to WWDC. Also keep in mind that both the Iphone 2,1 and Iphone 3,1 were intended to use the 3.0 software.
  • Reply 29 of 55
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by Steven C View Post

The Iphone 3,1 will be released at the LATEST next year, definitely not the year after. It is still expected to release within 2009 alongside the 2,1 or at an event close to WWDC.

How can you be so sure? If they keep the RAM and CPU for another year would they not follow the same naming convention as the first two iPhones and go with iPhone 2,2 instead of iPhone 3,1, or are you speculating that we?ll see a dramatic change in all the core HW now that media-focused smartphones are gaining in popularity?

Quote:

Also keep in mind that both the Iphone 2,1 and Iphone 3,1 were intended to use the 3.0 software.

I?m not sure I follow this sentence. We have no evidence of a device named iPhone 3,1 so how can you be sure that it?s intended for v3.0. All we can deduce is that iPhone 1,1; iPhone 1,2 and iPhone 2,1 will be getting v3.0.
  • Reply 30 of 55
    Skip, The Palm platform was such a resounding success in it's day that people continue to have strong positive feelings towards it. Until they went to Win CE as an OS they were the ones to beat. The iPhone and OSX are now the leaders in terms of app dev/selection/etc.

The one thing that I'd like to see - across the board - is a good development system to once again allow the everyday man/woman to create their own apps on Macs and iPhone/iPod Touch. Something like a revamped Hypercard would be terrific with today's gear.

Won't happen anytime soon, but we can still hope!

Stan

www.giftcardsfordinner.com <- help the unemployed

www.theirfavoritebooks.com <- review site for children's picture books

Quote:
    Originally Posted by ncee View Post

How in hell can folks be thinking the Palm Pre is going to be an iPhone Killer, when the damn thing isn't even out, let alone been tested, tried, used or anything yet, by the folks who matter ? us!

Skip

• Reply 31 of 55
    [QUOTE=solipsism;1421480]How can you be so sure? If they keep the RAM and CPU for another year would they not follow the same naming convention as the first two iPhones and go with iPhone 2,2 instead of iPhone 3,1, or are you speculating that we?ll see a dramatic change in all the core HW now that media-focused smartphones are gaining in popularity?

I?m not sure I follow this sentence. We have no evidence of a device named iPhone 3,1 so how can you be sure that it?s intended for v3.0. All we can deduce is that iPhone 1,1; iPhone 1,2 and iPhone 2,1 will be getting v3.0.[/QUOT

To answer your questions above, I am speculating that we'll see a change in the core hardware now that media-focused smartphones are gaining in popularity. Dramatic? Maybe. And yes we can deduce that those iphones will be receiving v3.0. and we do have evidence of a device called Iphone 3,1 it has been found in the code. So it is completely reasonable to assume that it is intended for a 3.x version of the software. Or maybe not. Could be a joke by apple.
  • Reply 32 of 55
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by Steven C View Post

… and we do have evidence of a device called Iphone 3,1 it has been found in the code. So it is completely reasonable to assume that it is intended for a 3.x version of the software. Or maybe not. Could be a joke by apple.

Quite right you are, as stated in the forgotten, at least by me, recent AI article. If both models are in the v3.0 code and they are incrementing the first digit I think we may see the first high and low-end iPhone models come about that are more than just a capacity difference. Thanks for the reminder.
  • Reply 33 of 55
    mtomto Posts: 16member
    Unfortunately they had to revert to plastic due to the antenna interference from the metal. Yet the aluminum felt a million times better in my hand. So I say Apple please figure something out and make it metal again, you know you want to.

Here is my idea. Enlarge the logo on the back (a big clack Apple like the iMac please*) and fabricate it out of plastic, acrylic or whatever so the antennas could be packed behind the hole in the body.

I dunno maybe that won't work but they have pulled off some clever tricks before. Heck they use the wire in earphones before as antennas on other brands.
  • Reply 34 of 55
    Quote:

Quite right you are, as stated in the forgotten, at least by me, recent AI article. If both models are in the v3.0 code and they are incrementing the first digit I think we may see the first high and low-end iPhone models come about that are more than just a capacity difference. Thanks for the reminder.

No problem. That's what I hope to see anyway. We'll all know soon enough
  • Reply 35 of 55
    Keep in mind that at the last WWD we were told that we would have background apps with 2.0.

An icon change seems a grasp to speculate on anything.
  • Reply 36 of 55
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by Seahawk Fan View Post

Keep in mind that at the last WWD[sic] we were told that we would have background apps with 2.0.

No, we weren?t. We were told that Push Notifications would come in September.
  • Reply 37 of 55
    Quote:

No, we weren’t. We were told that Push Notifications would come in September.

Sorry, you're correct, but mistaken on your timeline, September was the last time it was promised and it's the end of May 2009 and still not delivered.

But it is coming in 3.0 only a year late.

WWD 2008 was when we were told we didn't need background apps.

Backround apps are only on WinMo, Palm & Android.

I guess we'll get them in 4.0 with the 2010 phone.
  • Reply 38 of 55
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by Seahawk Fan View Post

Sorry, you're correct, but mistaken on your timeline, September was the last time it was promised and it's the end of May 2009 and still not delivered.

No, I’m not. You stated that at the last WWDC we would get background apps, I informed you that we were told we’d be getting PN in September. No speculation required as you can DL the podcast of WWDC 2008. Scott Forestal starts talking about PN 55 minutes in.

Quote:

WWD 2008 was when we were told we didn't need background apps.

We were never told that we don’t need them, we were given data that led up to believe that PN was more efficient for most tasks, which it is, but there are clearly apps that can’t work with PN. The current and original iPhones don’t have sufficient HW for OS X to run 3rd-party background apps well. Regardless of when background apps come no current iPhone will get them unless Apple can severely reduce the system load of the current OS, which is highly unlikely.

PS: We were also informed at the iPhone SDK special event earlier this year in March why PN was delayed.
  • Reply 39 of 55
    Quote:

No, I?m not. You stated that at the last WWDC we wou;d get background apps, I informed you that we were told we?d be getting PN in September. No speculation required as you can DL the podcast of WWDC 2008.

We were never told that we don?t need them, we were given data that led up to believe that PN was more efficient for most tasks, which it is, but there are clearly apps that can?t work with PN. The current and original iPhones don?t have sufficient HW for OS X to run 3rd-party background apps well. Regardless of when background apps come no current iPhone will get them unless Apple can severely reduce the system load of the current OS, which is highly unlikely.

Solipsism, your knowledge and twisting an article on the internet is infamous in this forum to try and get your point across. You come across as someone that is immature & trying to get his way regardless of the outcome.

You will pull out your thesaurus and quote me on 100 articles that are irrelevant and really have no answer to my question other than Apple said it wasn't meant for the time.

2 questions.

1. Do you have push notification?

2. Do you have background apps that every mature mobile phone has (Android isn't even a year old).

Don?t quote battery life because it?s already been proven that even with 2.0 the iPhone lags behind or barely is equal to other Mobile OS?s that have both push and background.

Apple needs to rewrite their entire mobile OS to compete with the current Market.

I'm sure they are in the process but it's 2009 and we have 2 mature OS's and Android that did it in less than a year.
  • Reply 40 of 55
    These two images seem to indicate that they are different. Notice the black border in the first and white border in the second image. This is from the Mactalk thread directly.

But I remembered that Steve used to insert skewed images where the left edge angles down to a shorter right edge and that this was a presentation effect.

Quote:

hehe I thought the same thing as you and decided that it might be psychological. Even if the image is slightly thinner that doesn’t rule out a slightly different rotation. The image is just too small.

Edit: Even Les Posen talks about it in the first para after the iTunes 7 image.