Migrating Library From Old External Drive To New External Drive - How?

Posted:
in iPod + iTunes + AppleTV edited January 2014
So my current external drive is filled to the max so I need to buy a new one. I have a lot of playlists (representing albums) but if I get a new hard drive, will the playlists and their contents be linked to the music correctly? If not, how am able to accomplish this to insure a flawless transition?

Comments

• Reply 1 of 5
    addaboxaddabox Posts: 12,665member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by Feynman View Post

So my current external drive is filled to the max so I need to buy a new one. I have a lot of playlists (representing albums) but if I get a new hard drive, will the playlists and their contents be linked to the music correctly? If not, how am able to accomplish this to insure a flawless transition?

iTunes/Preferences/Advanced/Library location field/change
  • Reply 2 of 5
    areseearesee Posts: 776member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by Feynman View Post

Copy your iTunes folder over to your new drive and hold down the option key when you next start iTunes. Select the iTunes library on your new disk.
  • Reply 3 of 5
    feynmanfeynman Posts: 1,087member
    Okay but I want to transfer all my music to the new hard drive too. This will not be a problem?
  • Reply 4 of 5
    addaboxaddabox Posts: 12,665member
    Like this.

Same as my first post (which tells iTunes to look for the library at a new location), but in this case you're naming the place you want create the new iTunes folder, then following through with creating that new folder there and consolidating your library to it, then tossing your old iTunes folder.

Note that if your current library is on an external drive you'll have to have both that and the new drive mounted at the same time.
  • Reply 5 of 5
    feynmanfeynman Posts: 1,087member
    A little confused. What if my iTunes files (not the media files) are on the internal hard drive and the actual media is on an external drive (a new one I just migrated everything to). What would I need to do? Maybe it's explained above and I'm just completely confused!