Macbook Air revision?

Posted:
in Future Apple Hardware edited January 2014
Wondering when we'll see this: it seems logical to assume Apple will want to (at the very least) bring across the black-frame aesthetic from the MB/P refresh, plus the buttonless trackpad?

Might they go further, implementing some of their snazzy secret ceramics or the CF stuff they've been working on?

Will any significant update likely wait until significant new processors (CULVs?) or GPUs are available? I'd be interested to hear people's thoughts on this.

Comments

• Reply 1 of 4
    wizard69wizard69 Posts: 13,377member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by cbw87 View Post

Wondering when we'll see this: it seems logical to assume Apple will want to (at the very least) bring across the black-frame aesthetic from the MB/P refresh, plus the buttonless trackpad?

Most likely never. Everything tells me AIR has been a failure in the marketplace.

Quote:

Might they go further, implementing some of their snazzy secret ceramics or the CF stuff they've been working on?

Anything is possible. It might be a good way for Apple to correct AIRs mistakes. Either way they need to address the cost / performance ratio.

Quote:

Will any significant update likely wait until significant new processors (CULVs?) or GPUs are available? I'd be interested to hear people's thoughts on this.

Well yeah if the unit can't justify minor updates based on sales, then the smart thing to do is to wait for the next suitable round of tech from Intel. Apple does have one other option which would be an upgrade to 4 GB of RAM.

Frankly I would be surprised to find that AIR is discontinued soon. There are better ways to address the ultra portable market.

Dave
  • Reply 2 of 4
    webmailwebmail Posts: 639member
    The MacBook Air would be my primary machine (i spend more time in airplanes than I do on the ground, literally) if they would bump the resolution and change the trackpad to the same as my 17" unibody.

Quote:
    Originally Posted by wizard69 View Post

Most likely never. Everything tells me AIR has been a failure in the marketplace.

Anything is possible. It might be a good way for Apple to correct AIRs mistakes. Either way they need to address the cost / performance ratio.

Well yeah if the unit can't justify minor updates based on sales, then the smart thing to do is to wait for the next suitable round of tech from Intel. Apple does have one other option which would be an upgrade to 4 GB of RAM.

Frankly I would be surprised to find that AIR is discontinued soon. There are better ways to address the ultra portable market.

Dave

• Reply 3 of 4
    cbw87cbw87 Posts: 36member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by webmail View Post

The MacBook Air would be my primary machine (i spend more time in airplanes than I do on the ground, literally) if they would bump the resolution and change the trackpad to the same as my 17" unibody.

Same. I'm looking to jump when it gets a reasonable upgrade. I got the impression they hadn't sold too badly? And in any case, Apple likes to have "halo" products, (providing it's not selling as badly as the Cube, which I can't imagine).
  • Reply 4 of 4
    mjteixmjteix Posts: 563member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by cbw87 View Post

Same. I'm looking to jump when it gets a reasonable upgrade. I got the impression they hadn't sold too badly? And in any case, Apple likes to have "halo" products, (providing it's not selling as badly as the Cube, which I can't imagine).

The MBA has been updated steadily since its launch (that's not the case for other products = desktops), that tells me it sells well enough. It will also probably be updated to a SL9600 2.13GHz cpu for the next round, this summer. I agree that they should also offer a model with 4GB RAM (even if it is soldered) and cut the price a little, now.

$1499 1.60GHz, 2GB RAM, 120/160GB HDD ($300 price cut vs the current base model)

$1799 1.86GHz, 4GB RAM, 120/160GB HDD (speed and RAM bumps)

$2499 2.13GHz, 4GB RAM, 128/160GB SSD (speed and RAM bumps)

That doesn't they couldn't offer another small/thin/lightweight model, especially if the 13" MacBook turns Pro (in my "book" that means at least the return of FW, even in form of a combo connector, FW800/GbE, a speedbump to probably 2.26/2.53GHz, and the illuminated keyboard standard on all models) at $1299/1499 or so. The white MB could then be retired.

Lenovo uses a 10.6" at 1280*768 on some of their notebooks, it could be the base for a small Apple notebook (MacBook mini) that would use current MacBook/Mac mini specs and take some cues from the MBA (soldered RAM, no ODD, few ports, USB, miniDP, audio, magsafe, wifi-n, BT).

11.5x8x0.76", 3 pounds, wide fixed battery, regular 25W C2D, nvidia 9400M, 2.5" HDD in the ODD space on the MacBook, small but button-less trackpad, standard keyboard not illuminated.

$799 2.00GHz C2D, 2GB RAM, 160GB HDD (same cpu specs as the current Mac mini)

$999 2.26GHz C2D, 2GB RAM, 250GB HDD (same cpu specs as the current Mac mini)

While in the netbook range for the size and weight but not the price, this MB mini would also be much more powerful than any netbook and CULV-based notebook due to its regular dual-core +2.0GHz cpu.

Summer MBP line-up:

13" MacBook Pro (FW/GbE, illuminated kb)

$1299 2.26GHz, 2/8GB RAM

$1499 2.53GHz, 2/8GB RAM ($100 price cut)

15" MacBook Pro

$1799 2.53GHz, 2/8GB RAM ($200 price cut)

$2199 2.80GHz, 4/8GB RAM

$2499 3.06GHz, 4/8GB RAM

17" MacBook Pro

$2499 2.80GHz, 4/8GB RAM ($300 price cut)

$2799 3.06GHz, 4/8GB RAM

Well, that's more than my thoughts about the MBA, but it's hard to speculate on just one product without taking into account the rest of the line-up. I also think it's time for Apple to offer a wider range of products.