Icon for iPhone 2,1 appears in latest iPhone SDK

13»

Comments

• Reply 41 of 55
    solipsismsolipsism Posts: 25,726member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by Seahawk Fan View Post

Solipsism, your knowledge and twisting an article on the internet is infamous in this forum to try and get your point across. You come across as someone that is immature & trying to get his way regardless of the outcome.

You will pull out your thesaurus and quote me on 100 articles that are irrelevant and really have no answer to my question other than Apple said it wasn't meant for the time.

2 questions.

1. Do you have push notification?

2. Do you have background apps that every mature mobile phone has (Android isn't even a year old).

Don?t quote battery life because it?s already been proven that even with 2.0 the iPhone lags behind or barely is equal to other Mobile OS?s that have both push and background.

Apple needs to rewrite their entire mobile OS to compete with the current Market.

I'm sure they are in the process but it's 2009 and we have 2 mature OS's and Android that did it in less than a year.

Per your MO you are resorting to personal attacks and trolling, which aren?t working, when your fallacies have been called out. Your claims that background apps were promised and that it would come with v2.0, neither of which were true and which are easily proven by watching the video podcast I mentioned earlier.

1) I do have PN on my iPhone. It is working great, though the overlay app needs to be completely revamped.

2) Of course I don?t have background apps, but that has been explained to you. You harping on battery is but a mere single aspect to the issue at hand.

Stating that iPhone OS should have background apps running just as easily as Android simply because they emerged around the same time period means that you haven?t considered the OS or the HW for these mobile OSes. It also means that you haven?t considered the developer side of this, either.

I don?t know what your pseudonym was prior to this new name Seahawk Fan, but it?s clear that this is not your first attempt to post on this forum. I find your PoV regarding looking up statistics instead of just making suff as poor research and your assumption that my lexiconic repertoire is the result of a thesaurus and/or dictionary amusing, as I have most definitely looked up each and every word that I write in a book at some point over my life, and most likely many times over. Research is one way in which we learn. It?s also how we make statements that can be held up as factual, something you may wish to consider before posting more of your delusions.
  • Reply 42 of 55
    pg4gpg4g Posts: 383member
    I don't know what you've been smoking Seahawk Fan, but Solipsism made it quite clear from Apple's perspectives about background vs push etc.

Apple never offered, nor said, they would ever offer background applications, and while it is probable that they will when the processor, battery and RAM picks up, at the current time it isn't appropriate.

Apple decided however, to make a more scalable, single background application that would fill perhaps 70% of developer's requests for how best to simulate background via the Push Notification Service.

Compared to background apps, they say that the battery toll will be quite minimal, and provide testing details to specify what that will be.

You stated that the frameworks aren't good enough and are simply made bad and don't scale to background. I can see where your logic comes from, but perhaps you aren't a developer and don't understand why Apple allowed their OS to be as "bloated" as it is.

The iPhone OS isn't lightweight for a mobile platform. This much is obvious. But if you look at Cocoa Touch, and the platform as a whole, the reasons for such "bloat" becomes obvious also: its makes for a richer platform. Building with Cocoa Touch provides a complex application environment of the level that, in many cases, matches Cocoa on the Mac. I doubt you can say the same for the frameworks on other platforms. Apple has elected to make its OS more powerful, but this does directly take a toll on hardware resources.

Other applications on other platforms are more lightweight. When we as developers create an app, there is overhead from the API's, that while being efficient, have to cater for EVERYTHING rather than specializing to the way that we want to use them. If we want a very, very lightweight way to do things, we sometimes have to do it ourselves. Nevertheless, overall, the platform is desktop-class, on a portable device.

So how does this affect background? Putting 20 applications into background at the same time will affect the system, with effect intensity depending on how inefficiently the developer coded the app to handle background. But nevertheless, with a complicated and complex OS, compromises have to be made. The system won't handle it at the current stage unless its done extremely efficiently, and with so many developers who don't know what they're doing and are being very reckless with their applications, your system will take the toll. Apple has elected that you really don't need this.

The iPhone's OS is being made more efficient every day, but battery life and standby time is something that you will take a toll on if you want such a capable OS. Apple will work on it, but you need to realize that and accept it, or get another phone. Background will only make the situation worse, and Apple decided for third party apps, at the current time, they just doesn't trust developers. And rightfully so. I've system-tested many apps from the store and they are generally woeful resource hogs. Don't blame Apple from trying to protect you from developers who don't know what they're doing, and from a situation that could be rather detrimental to the phone.

I expect iPhone OS 4.0 to have strictly controlled background applications, and I welcome it, but at the present time? I think Apple's done the best they can in the circumstances. Perhaps you should speak when you know a little more of the situation at hand. If you're still not happy? Get another phone on one of the platforms you named.
  • Reply 43 of 55
    sflocalsflocal Posts: 6,092member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by anantksundaram View Post

Oh no! I woke him up!!!

Seriously, happy Memorial Day to you too!

Shame on you... I was hoping the padlock would hold...

I hope his parent's basement has a vent to let the BBQ smoke exit.
  • Reply 44 of 55
    mrtotesmrtotes Posts: 760member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by villageindian View Post

These two images seem to indicate that they are different. Notice the black border in the first and white border in the second image. This is from the Mactalk thread directly.

You do know they sell both black and white iPhones!!

---

Surely these are just placeholder images which can be replaced at the final release. If the next iPhone was going to look the same as the iPhone 1,2 why have two different image files in there?
  • Reply 45 of 55
    macagentmacagent Posts: 6member
    Quote:

Sorry, you're correct, but mistaken on your timeline, September was the last time it was promised and it's the end of May 2009 and still not delivered.

But it is coming in 3.0 only a year late.

WWD 2008 was when we were told we didn't need background apps.

Backround apps are only on WinMo, Palm & Android.

I guess we'll get them in 4.0 with the 2010 phone.

I think Apple would make the user interface of its iPhone SDK even more user friendly so that even non-programming individuals can make a simple App, by just dragging and dropping icons in one window, and then test-running the App, by hitting the Run button. This would make more people develop Apps and in turn Apple would more a fortune out of the massive nos. of Apps.
  • Reply 46 of 55
    pg4gpg4g Posts: 383member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by mrtotes View Post

You do know they sell both black and white iPhones!!

---

Surely these are just placeholder images which can be replaced at the final release. If the next iPhone was going to look the same as the iPhone 1,2 why have two different image files in there?

Probably just for consistency's sake.
  • Reply 47 of 55
    shadowshadow Posts: 373member
    Quote:

Apple needs to rewrite their entire mobile OS to compete with the current Market.

You are missing the point entirely, Seahawk Fan. Steve Jobs quoted Wayne Gretzky something like zillion of times: "Skate to where the puck is going, not to where it is."

If you look at the iPhone as a platform, it is the best positioned mobile OS on the planet. Microsoft is already re-writhing their OS. Palm will need to, because their "mobile optimized" OS is targeted where the puck is. The hardware capabilities will grow considerably during the next, say, 5 years, but Palm's brand-new OS has no room to grow. From now on, it will get patches at best.

In contrast, iPhone OS and it's development environment are already mature (especially compared to the offerings for the other platforms), their AppStore distribution model spawned a number of "me too" copycats, and the peripherals infrastructure is huge compared to the rest of the pack. Their 3rd party device support with iPhone OS 3.0 will move the iPhone even further ahead from the competition. The iPhone is way ahead in gaming as well. Many reviewers are going as far as comparing the iPhone with the dedicated game devices (e.g. PSP), but what about other PHONES?

As far as performance is concerned, the iPhone's performance is acceptable for tens of millions of people as it is. We could reasonably expect 1.5x - 2x performance increase with the next version. With the proper software to take advantage of this (e.g. basic video editing) it will jump ahead of the competition even more.

Ah, and stop those multi-tasking whinnying please! I am afraid it may not be enough to keep Palm afloat. As I wrote many times before, iPhone OS CAN and DOES multitasking right now. I can usually count some 30-40 processes running in the background on my phone without explicitly launching a single application. This means that Apple can introduce background apps at any time, absolutely no need to rewrite the OS. They various options, e.g. background apps for selected partners, or whatever they find appropriate.
  • Reply 48 of 55
    I'm not the least concerned about that little icon, yet I do wonder if the new server farm has anything to do with the new push notifications for iPhone OS 3.0 – I also wonder how long it takes before privacy organizations realize where all this push data is going/coming from, but hey let's not derail this thread (any further).
  • Reply 49 of 55
    anantksundaramanantksundaram Posts: 20,403member
    Quote:

Can you, in any remote way, back up this silly claim? And then explain why/how Apple has the #2 market share worldwide (and one that continues to grow)?

It's when you shoot your mouth off in this sweeping fashion that you destroy all credibility for yourself and your posts.
  • Reply 50 of 55
    paxmanpaxman Posts: 4,729member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by Switchers (Chief Editor) View Post

I'm not the least concerned about that little icon, yet I do wonder if the new server farm has anything to do with the new push notifications for iPhone OS 3.0 ? I also wonder how long it takes before privacy organizations realize where all this push data is going/coming from, but hey let's not derail this thread (any further).

The icons... what a non story. Hardly a cause for concern. But as I missed the whole Server Farm thread and as you just brought it up, I'll chime in here. I imagine and hope it signals a big Apple push towards online services. MobileMe and iWorks.com need to be developed. To me there is so much potential in this area. I imagine the new net-tablet-whatever will depend on these services. And while I love the idea of what MM and iW.com can become in the future, I find MM unacceptably slow at the moment.
  • Reply 51 of 55
    istinkistink Posts: 250member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by anantksundaram View Post

Can you, in any remote way, back up this silly claim? And then explain why/how Apple has the #2 market share worldwide (and one that continues to grow)?

It's when you shoot your mouth off in this sweeping fashion that you destroy all credibility for yourself and your posts.

I agree with you. Comments like this make me completely ignore any further posts by him. He's either a troll, or immensely misinformed.

In his mind, he thinks Apple needs to rewrite the OS to compete with a market of die hard geeks. In reality, the OS is fine for your average consumer, which is why they have been so successful.

What Apple NEEDS to do and what he WANTS them to do are two very different things.

Oh, and judging by the way he addressed solipsism and his low post count, I think he's someone who created another account because he got added to so many ignore lists nobody would respond to him anymore. So guess who the next person on my ignore list is? lol
  • Reply 52 of 55
    SpamSandwichSpamSandwich Posts: 33,407member
    This news is obviously a huge blow to everyone who was expecting a major icon update...
  • Reply 53 of 55
    solipsismsolipsism Posts: 25,726member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by SpamSandwich View Post

This news is obviously a huge blow to everyone who was expecting a major icon update...

• Reply 54 of 55
    jousterjouster Posts: 460member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by SpamSandwich View Post

Winner. Lock this pointless thread now...
  • Reply 55 of 55
    hezekiahbhezekiahb Posts: 448member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by MTO View Post

To me there does appear to be a slight difference in the current icon and the up coming phone. Either it looks ever so thinner or possibly a lighter color such as silver. And to my eye even the white iPhone icons look like there is a depth difference. The difference is just great enough that I'm ruling out psychological influences or wishful thinking.

Not sure what everyone is talking about, there isn't any difference between the 1,2 & 2,1 icons.

Putting in a last minute icon is not going to effect beta testing, this is just Apple filling the image gap to ensure all works well with the beta, then in final release I expect they will have a new icon. Why do I believe this? Because typically Apple has created new icons having a different angle or some very obvious difference (often improving image quality) to represent new hardware, even when the hardware hasn't really changed in outward appearance.

Sorry people but I don't think this leak is worth anything. Slow news day.