Apple upgraded by Morgan Stanley on expected iPhone boom

Comments

• Reply 41 of 72
    neilwneilw Posts: 77member
    Amazing that the most notoriously inaccurate AAPL analyst can move the stock so dramatically. I mean, while the stock's been sitting in the $120s for months, she suddenly jumps her target from $105 to $180? What the hell is that?

Frankly, when I see Huberty suddenly sporting the second highest price target on the street, it makes me think about selling all my shares.
  • Reply 42 of 72
    anantksundaramanantksundaram Posts: 20,404member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by walshbj View Post

Strange that someone (Huberty) with a reputation in certain circles for being completely clueless has so much power to move the share price. Says a lot about analysts.

Actually, it says a lot about the clueless noise-traders who dominate daily trades.
  • Reply 43 of 72
    teckstudteckstud Posts: 6,476member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by GTL215 View Post

what's the lemon - the first gen iphone or the apple tv? I'm holding off on the ATV in hopes of a significant upgrade this winter. I'm in no rush.

Well definitely not the iPhone- so you can certainly figure it out.

Forget significant upgrade- more like major overhaul.
  • Reply 44 of 72
    dr millmossdr millmoss Posts: 5,403member
    Before this subject gets totally lost in the geeky hobby horse topics that seem to overwhelm every discussion, we should stop to appreciate that a normally conservative and skeptical Apple analyst has raised their target price for AAPL by 70%. The iPhone is looking like it might be a repeat of the iPod story as it happened a few years ago -- which would make AAPL shareholders very, very happy campers.
  • Reply 45 of 72
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by AppleInsider View Post

Arguing that the market is underestimating demand for iPhones over the next two calendar years, investment bank Morgan Stanley on Tuesday upgraded shares of Apple to Overweight from Equal-weight......

"We believe Apple is emerging as the clear leader in the battle over the mobile Internet," wrote analyst Katy Huberty, who also boosted her 12-month price target on the company's shares to $180 from $105.

Sheesh, lady: welcome aboard (finally). If you'd got your analysis together a couple of months ago, your clients could have bought the shares $40 cheaper!
  • Reply 46 of 72
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by GTL215 View Post

what's the lemon - the first gen iphone or the apple tv? I'm holding off on the ATV in hopes of a significant upgrade this winter. I'm in no rush.

That's a bit silly to wait so long, in a world in which tech is constantly evolving?

I've been thrilled with my @TV (relative to what it said it would do). I've now had it close to a couple of years, and if there is a significant upgrade this winter, I'll get that one too. (And the previous version will go to the TV in the basement).
  • Reply 47 of 72
    teckstudteckstud Posts: 6,476member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by Dr Millmoss View Post

Before this subject gets totally lost in the geeky hobby horse topics that seem to overwhelm every discussion, we should stop to appreciate that a normally conservative and skeptical Apple analyst has raised their target price for AAPL by 70%. The iPhone is looking like it might be a repeat of the iPod story as it happened a few years ago -- which would make AAPL shareholders very, very happy campers.

Far from the same scenario- iPhone needs a contract and is wrapped up in AT&T's mess of a network. Good try though.
  • Reply 48 of 72
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by teckstud View Post

Far from the same scenario- iPhone needs a contract and is wrapped up in AT&T's mess of a network. Good try though.

Irrelevant. Good try though.
  • Reply 49 of 72
    cameronjcameronj Posts: 2,357member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by neilw View Post

Amazing that the most notoriously inaccurate AAPL analyst can move the stock so dramatically. I mean, while the stock's been sitting in the $120s for months, she suddenly jumps her target from $105 to $180? What the hell is that?

You must be looking at a different 3 month chart for AAPL than the rest of us.
  • Reply 50 of 72
    In (somewhat) related news, Nokia's Ovi Store opened its ovi today, and is apparently a total disaster:

http://www.washingtonpost.com/wp-dyn...052600855.html

Really sad, the competition. So much brainpower in this industry, but so little talent!
  • Reply 51 of 72
    gtl215gtl215 Posts: 242member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by anantksundaram View Post

That's a bit silly to wait so long, in a world in which tech is constantly evolving?

I've been thrilled with my @TV (relative to what it said it would do). I've now had it close to a couple of years, and if there is a significant upgrade this winter, I'll get that one too. (And the previous version will go to the TV in the basement).

I'm sure I'd be happy with the current ATV, i just feel i can wait a little longer before jumping in. As I said, i'm in no rush, and part of me thinks there will be updates later this year, so i'm happy to just wait.
  • Reply 52 of 72
    nasseraenasserae Posts: 3,167member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by solipsism View Post

I sold mine last year, used, for more than I bought it for. Check out eBay or Craigslist.

I remember when we were talking about this last year. I can't believe it was last year, it feels like last month.

I sold my 8GB iPhone last year too, one month before the 3G launch, and bought 16GB iPhone 3G and still had more $100 left

We will have to see what AT&T and Apple offer this year. If I can sell my current iPhone and buy the new one without extra cost then I will go for it
  • Reply 53 of 72
    melgrossmelgross Posts: 33,510member
    Quote:

I hope you sterilized it first before you sold it.

Well, I guess not.\
  • Reply 54 of 72
    solipsismsolipsism Posts: 25,726member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by melgross View Post

Are you saying some nice things?

That's a bad habit to get into you know. You might like it.

If BBQ puts Teckstud into a positive mindset I?m in for $5 a week.

Quote:
    Originally Posted by melgross View Post

How did you word your Ad, and did you sell it as is, no warrantee?

Also, did you reset the phone, and remove all apps?

Maybe, we'll get new ones in September when our one year with AT&T is up, so I'm interested.

My daughter will get the new one for sure in September, because she'll need a phone from O2, as she'll be there for school. We will have to keep her present one for when she comes back for holidays and summer vacation.

The circumstances were different then. It was a one time situation that I, and NasserAE, both did. The 3G was coming out, there were no original iPhones to be sold and only 4 countries were officially selling them at that point. I correctly assumed that the profit sharing on the original iPhone would allow me to get the 3G iPhone at the upgrade eligible rate I didn?t fear selling it. i also sold it about 6 weeks before the new one arrived knowing that it would be hard to sell at the inflated price after the 3G was available.

I used eBay had one small dent and some minor scratches which I disclosed with a description and images. I also had kept the box and every little piece of plastic which I put back exactly as it cam for its ?photoshoot? and shipping. I also cleaned everything up to look as good as new. There was no warranty from me, but it was under a year old so there was about 2 months left of the manufacturers warranty, which I advertised (something I didn?t often see on eBay despite knowing that many still had them).

I jailbroke and unlocked the device. Everything was at factory defaults, except for the presence of the jailbreak Installer app. The first person who bought it was in an Eastern European country. They took the buy now price of $640 but they wouldn?t verify their PayPal account. They told me that they were honest and that there was no way to verify from their country. It was a common scam that would have their money returned from escrow. I resold it and it was purchased by a Brit with a verified PayPal account for a somewhat less than the first guy offered.

That was a one time opportunity. My iPhone 3G will get a new new home with family and I?ll be getting the new iPhone from a friend who owes me a favour.

Quote:
    Originally Posted by Dr Millmoss View Post

How do you think the carrier will factor into this growth. It?s a wrench that will surely have an affect on the potential market.
  • Reply 55 of 72
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by anantksundaram View Post

In (somewhat) related news, Nokia's Ovi Store opened its ovi today, and is apparently a total disaster:

You mean this stuff is harder than it looks?
  • Reply 56 of 72
    constable odoconstable odo Posts: 1,041member
    Apple's iPhone-based upgrade by Morgan Stanley appears to be equally good for RIM and BlackBerry because it shows that there is still plenty of market share to be gained in the smartphone sector. It must be this way or otherwise RIM's share price would have dropped or stayed level today. Apple and RIMs good fortune will be bad news for Nokia, WinMo and possible even Android-based handsets. I'm anxious to see how much market share Nokia loses this quarter. Especially if the Ovi Store doesn't become successful.

Palm would seem to have a very tough time of gaining market share with the Pre coming in this late in the game with so few units for sale.
  • Reply 57 of 72
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by solipsism View Post

How do you think the carrier will factor into this growth. It?s a wrench that will surely have an affect on the potential market.

First, although the geekfolk are obsessed by the carrier, truth be known, the vast majority of people living in what we laughingly call the real world could not care less. Second, Apple is hardly locked into one carrier -- this is just their strategy for now. Third, this game is all about revenue and profits. The worldwide mobile phone market is immense, and growing. It doesn't require picking up more than a few points of market share annually to balloon profits. This is what Morgan is predicting.
  • Reply 58 of 72
    solipsismsolipsism Posts: 25,726member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by NasserAE View Post

I remember when we were talking about this last year. I can't believe it was last year, it feels like last month.

I sold my 8GB iPhone last year too, one month before the 3G launch, and bought 16GB iPhone 3G and still had more $100 left

We will have to see what AT&T and Apple offer this year. If I can sell my current iPhone and buy the new one without extra cost then I will go for it

I gave you an honourable mention.

I am not sure the iPhone 3G will have that same power. If the evidence of two iPhone models are appearing and we assume that the cheaper one will be pretty much the same as the current one, though maybe a little better in some regards, will anyone really want to pay a worthwhile amount for the current iPhone? Especially when the rumours are saying it will be $99 to $149. AT&T will probably hold us to our 2-year agreements this time around. That means we pay the higher, non-upgrade eligible price or cancel our accounts at $175 - ($5 x n) where n equals the number of months we?ve had the contract.

I guess anything back helps, but I am not expecting to see the same advantage as last year. Though, if they run dry next month before the release you may be able to get a premium for a short time.
  • Reply 59 of 72
    neilwneilw Posts: 77member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by cameronj View Post

You must be looking at a different 3 month chart for AAPL than the rest of us.

AAPL cracked $120 more than a month ago. Admittedly, "months" is poor wording on my part; I actually meant to edit that before I posted, but forgot.

In any case, the degree to which she of all analysts moves the market is pretty amazing.
  • Reply 60 of 72
    cbw87cbw87 Posts: 36member
    Quote:

I hope you sterilized it first before you sold it.

And I think we all hope you've been sterilized.