Apple prepping iPod nano with camera, three new iPhones - report

Posted:
in iPhone edited January 2014
Apple will introduce a new version of its iPod nano with a wider screen and built-in camera later this year after first introducing three new iPhone models distinguished by their network hardware, according to a new report.

Citing sources who've provided accurate descriptions of iPods and iPhones in years past, iLounge is corroborating a recent rumor that has the third-generation iPod nano gaining a point-and-shoot digital camera similar to the one found on the iPhone.

According to the report, new models will arrive sometime between July and August with a screen aspect ratio of 1.5:1, up from 1.33:1 on the current fourth-generation model. Making room for larger screen real estate will be a more compact click-wheel that shifts further down the body of the media player.

Meanwhile a camera placed on the lower left-hand side of the nano's rear will reportedly pave the way for the iPod to dual as digital camera when it's held in landscape mode and gripped by its corners.

The report also cites the same sources as saying that Apple next month will introduce its third-generation iPhones in six configurations: two capacities each for three different models that will sport wireless hardware to match the speeds of wireless networks across the world.

For example, the rumor implies that countries with the most capable wireless networks, like the United States, will see an enhanced version of the iPhone 3G capable of 7.2Mbps downloads while other countries receive a version similar to the current iPhone 3G capable of 3.6Mbps 3G downloads.

China would reportedly get its own version of the iPhone that may be more limited in functionality, possibly forgoing 3G connectivity entirely or offering compatibility with the government-backed TD-SCDMA standard. Each of the three models is said to look nearly identical to the current iPhone but sport a "less scratchable matte plastic body."

Images showing a matte plastic iPhone enclosure nearly identical to the iPhone 3G's surfaced on multiple websites earlier this year.

Images of an iPhone back with a matte finish surfaced earlier this year.

The report may offer clarity to references to two new iPhone models in betas of Apple's iPhone Software 3.0 -- iPhone 2,1 and iPhone 3,1 -- as well as a third conspicuous reference to "ChinaBrick."

Comments

• Reply 1 of 88
    desarcdesarc Posts: 642member
    so no oled?

i love the pic in this post btw.
  • Reply 2 of 88
    akf2000akf2000 Posts: 223member
    What are these countries with superfast download speeds? (apart from S. Korea natch)
  • Reply 3 of 88
    dgnr8dgnr8 Posts: 196member
    I miss Apple the Computer Company
  • Reply 4 of 88
    pg4gpg4g Posts: 383member
    Hmm... right where EVERYONE is going to be holding their ipod from? Stupid. It will be up the top with the screen if it's anywhere.
  • Reply 5 of 88
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by akf2000 View Post

What are these countries with superfast download speeds? (apart from S. Korea natch)

Australia has 14.4Mbps. Its darn fast. My iPhone is holding it back!
  • Reply 6 of 88
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by DGNR8 View Post

Hey, man, they still make computers. That a look at this *shoos birds nesting in box*, this is a brand new iMac computer, it does typing and number stuff. Also this *clears off cobwebs*, this is a Mac Computer Server, it can hold the equivalent of 1.5 phone books when purchased with the Platter Drive Extension!
  • Reply 7 of 88
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by PG4G View Post

Australia has 14.4Mbps. Its darn fast. My iPhone is holding it back!

And what news of the UK?? Moving to .au for faster speed is uneconomical in the present climate.
  • Reply 8 of 88
    citycity Posts: 522member
    Quote:

Hmm... right where EVERYONE is going to be holding their ipod from? Stupid. It will be up the top with the screen if it's anywhere.

it's upside down!
  • Reply 9 of 88
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by city View Post

it's upside down!

you're upside down!
  • Reply 10 of 88
    olternautolternaut Posts: 1,376member
    I'm starting to think all these "rumors" that these "experts" come up with are really from their brainstorming sessions.

It seems like they're starting to pull them out of thin air now.
  • Reply 11 of 88
    melgrossmelgross Posts: 33,510member
    So many rumors and so little time!
  • Reply 12 of 88
    gqbgqb Posts: 1,934member
    Quote:

I miss buggy whips.
  • Reply 13 of 88
    jpellinojpellino Posts: 697member
    Camera right where your fingers go when operating an iPod.

This is what happens when you run out of MechE and EEs.

Must be a ChemE or CivE.

Which reminds me of an old joke...
  • Reply 14 of 88
    istinkistink Posts: 250member
    Quote:

Yes that's exactly what I was thinking and about to comment on. I hope this isn't the true / final design.
  • Reply 15 of 88
    hattighattig Posts: 860member
    Quote:

Looks like it is in the right place if you hold the iPod in landscape orientation.
  • Reply 16 of 88
    italiankiditaliankid Posts: 279member
    are these iPhones gonna have light leaks too?

If Apple was smart they could have marketed light leaks as a feature!
  • Reply 17 of 88
    istinkistink Posts: 250member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by Hattig View Post

Looks like it is in the right place if you hold the iPod in landscape orientation.

Even if it's in landscape, I would think the wheel is where you would press to take the picture. It seems to make more sense to put it on the other end, or at least in the middle so fingers don't easily get in the way.
  • Reply 18 of 88
    macshackmacshack Posts: 103member
    Quote:

I know what you mean. Though it can be argued that an iPhone and even an iPod is a computer. I kind of miss the exitement over new upcoming machines and OS. Sure I like the iPhone and the iPods. I think they are great. ButI have just the feeling that Apples attention is too devided. It might be that I'm just looking for a fix, in need for a confirmation that Apple is stil serious about their computer arsenal. WWDC might give me what I need. I think Apple should continue doing iPods and iPhones. Heck I even wish they start making printers, camera's and the whole other load again. But their OS should never be second priority.

I also hope that this intel thing is a temp thing. A way to get people making the step over to Macintosh. Intel is bad news in the long run. When Apple is ready to make their own processors they should dazzle the world with their own machines.
  • Reply 19 of 88
    Yes, but how often do you hold in landscape? Less than 50% of the time. They could put it above with the screen and affect neither.

No logic there.
  • Reply 20 of 88
    SpamSandwichSpamSandwich Posts: 33,407member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by MacShack View Post

I also hope that this intel thing is a temp thing. A way to get people making the step over to Macintosh. Intel is bad news in the long run. When Apple is ready to make their own processors they should dazzle the world with their own machines.

They'll continue to use Intel to maintain parity with the PC world.