The Official? WWDC Prediction Thread

1356

Comments

  • Reply 41 of 109
    sennensennen Posts: 1,470member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by wizard69 View Post


    While I don't know if Apple will do this or not I'd love to see GPU acceleration offered up for my early 2008 MBP. Even if they dont i suspect that I will see an improvement in video playback simply because of the new quick time. That is a reason to up grade right there.



    This is exactly why we are waiting for more definitive info about SL's capabilities and it's requirements before making any more hardware purchases (currently considering a mac pro or two, mbp etc) .
  • Reply 42 of 109
    boy_analogboy_analog Posts: 315member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by wizard69 View Post


    I really don't understand this negativity with respect to SL, it is going to have a ton of new features and improvements. Yeah a lot of it is not directly related to user apps, on the face anyways, but the improvements should be across the board for many users.





    Dave



    Actually, I'm right with you. I didn't mean to sound negative myself -- I'm really looking forward to SL on its own merits. But I've heard enough "negativity" to make me wonder if the majority of users would need a few obvious inducements to upgrade.
  • Reply 43 of 109
    pkguy323pkguy323 Posts: 14member
    Predictions/Wish List



    iPhone 3.0

    Snow Leopard

    Logic Studio 2.0 that looks more like the GarageBand interface

    Logic Express 9

    Final Cut 3.0

    2009 Mac Box Set: Snow Leopard/iLife/iWork

    Merged iCal and Mail client (all in one interface) that syncs in with iPhone AND Google...the official Outlook crusher.

    Apple TV 3.0 that has Broadcast TV input and recordability....yes, a Media Center that will record TV.
  • Reply 44 of 109
    wizard69wizard69 Posts: 13,377member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by sennen View Post


    This is exactly why we are waiting for more definitive info about SL's capabilities and it's requirements before making any more hardware purchases (currently considering a mac pro or two, mbp etc) .



    As a side note I'm very happy with the recent Leopard update as it overall appears to work much better. At least video play back is much smoother.



    As to new hardware I have to agree it is a poor time to buy new Apple hardware. Especially the desktop line which should be offering a choice of quad cores in the iMacs. I'd be less worried about a Mac Pro but the point remains, will Apples delivery of SL correspond with a massive change to the hardware lineup.







    Dave
  • Reply 45 of 109
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by wizard69 View Post


    As a side note I'm very happy with the recent Leopard update as it overall appears to work much better. At least video play back is much smoother.



    As to new hardware I have to agree it is a poor time to buy new Apple hardware. Especially the desktop line which should be offering a choice of quad cores in the iMacs. I'd be less worried about a Mac Pro but the point remains, will Apples delivery of SL correspond with a massive change to the hardware lineup.







    Dave



    If it doesn't I think there will be angry posts on this and other sites, AFTER the stunned silence.



    I would have sworn I'd have my quad iMac by now.





    As to predictions,



    NO Tablet device, not even a peep about it ZERO NOTHING ZILTCH ZIPPO -- tumbleweed --



    "big stuff on SL really secret stuff we couldn't manage to implement in Leopard so we held it back, and now with GC etc. we can bring you xxx "



    I've no Idea what that IS exactly, unless its Rez Indy or ZFS.



    I have no access to SL so maybe someone can correct me, but IMO the "rewrite" that is SL would put ZFS further forward as a possibility, yes?



    Something extra RE "THE CLOUD"
  • Reply 46 of 109
    wizard69wizard69 Posts: 13,377member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by Walter Slocombe View Post


    If it doesn't I think there will be angry posts on this and other sites, AFTER the stunned silence.



    Yep stunned or shocked silence. The big negative is that WWDC might not deliver SL but rather a projected delivery date later in the year. Apple could just as well hold off new hardware for the fall.

    Quote:



    I would have sworn I'd have my quad iMac by now.



    Yeah it just boggles the mind that Apple hasn't delivered a quad core iMac. Anybody that is clued in at all would hold off buying an iMac if they can.

    Quote:



    As to predictions,



    NO Tablet device, not even a peep about it ZERO NOTHING ZILTCH ZIPPO -- tumbleweed --



    Well I'm hopeful but expect updates to happen in the same way as the past. That is iPhone now and Touches in a couple months. So if not a tablet now hopefully in a few months.

    Quote:



    "big stuff on SL really secret stuff we couldn't manage to implement in Leopard so we held it back, and now with GC etc. we can bring you xxx "



    I think we have heard about most of what is coming. For example the enhanced finder that can play back video content in an icon. In otherwords SL, given enough cores, will leverage that power to deliver enhanced core system features.

    Quote:

    I've no Idea what that IS exactly, unless its Rez Indy or ZFS.



    I'd be very surprised to see resolution independence as I really see it as a bridge to far. Apple would want to get all the core features of SL stabilized first and then leverage that for Rez Indy. Of course if I'm proven wrong here I'm not going to complain.



    I suspect that Apple would do well to simply enhance core features like Finder, quicktiime and other features that are a bit aged.

    Quote:



    I have no access to SL so maybe someone can correct me, but IMO the "rewrite" that is SL would put ZFS further forward as a possibility, yes?



    ZFS is likely a bit off in the future for general usage. That doesn't mean it would be delivered as an option though. Still I think Apple will have a heck of a time just with SL public goals. Let's face it 64 bit, OpenCL Grand Central and the other announced features are a major undertaking. Apple would do well to keep focused on it's public commitments.



    Like you though I'm not clued in with the developmental versions of SL. So I can't really say what is up with SL but it is just a general feeling that the core of this update is very important to Apple.



    Quote:



    Something extra RE "THE CLOUD"



    I don't know about the cloud but I like Mobile Me. I'm not sure how one would improve it.



    What I would like to see Apple do is to start supporting mesh computing. That is Mesh WiFI or adhoc networking. Especially now that they seem to have all their portables WIFI working correctly.



    The other thing I'd like to see is that Apple deliver an app store for Mac OS. It would be ideal for the distribution of limited demand applications. Unfortunately I haven't heard much along these lines.





    Dave
  • Reply 47 of 109
    dhagan4755dhagan4755 Posts: 2,152member
    I wouldn't say Apple's line up is hard to understand. I would say that it's hard to understand why Apple's line up is so limited.



    Those Microsoft "Laptop Hunters" ads (while some may be misleading) are hurting. Apple doesn't offer a 15" notebook for any less than $2,000. That's just outrageous.



    So Apple is rumored through John Gruber to be rebranding the 13-inch unibody aluminum MacBook to the 13" MacBook Pro.



    Why?



    Unless the 13" MacBook Pro is also getting Firewire back, and adding the 9600 graphics option it seems like an irrational move! That MacBook may be selling well right now, but if Apple's justification for maintaining high prices for their notebooks solely because of the metal enclosure, then they should be exploring offering larger display notebooks in the plastic enclosure.



    As far as quad processors in the all-in-one iMac...I don't see any other all-in-ones using quad chips. Maybe I have missed it. It still doesn't negate the question of why Apple refuses to put the quad core Intel Core i7 desktop chips in the Mac Pros. Again, this is outrageous.



    I don't know what fine matrix Apple runs their business model through. It seems to have worked for them until recently. Friends that told me that they wish to purchase Apple hardware and have sticker shock when they compare the specs to the competition. They always ask me why are there limited options. I'm not in favor of the numerous configuration options of HP & Dell, but I think Apple needs to loosen up a little or they may be roadkill soon.
  • Reply 48 of 109
    sybariticsybaritic Posts: 340member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by DHagan4755 View Post


    Friends that told me that they wish to purchase Apple hardware and have sticker shock when they compare the specs to the competition. They always ask me why are there limited options. I'm not in favor of the numerous configuration options of HP & Dell, but I think Apple needs to loosen up a little or they may be roadkill soon.



    Apple benefits from the lameness of Microsoft, plain and simple ? at least that appears to be a huge reason for Apple's success in fielding a limited product lineup with upper end pricing. I'm a longtime Apple user and fan, but I have admit to sticker shock, too.



    That said, as long as such methods work for Cupertino's bottom line, I don't think we'll see much change in Apple's lineup or pricing policies. Microsoft may have finally found a salient talking point that resonates with the public ? price ? even though long term cost of ownership continues to be in Apple's favor.



    Would most Mac users like to see a reasonably priced headless mid-range tower and 15" macbook? You bet, but unless Microsoft seriously gets its act together ? or Mac hardware sales drop precipitously ? it's probably not going to happen.
  • Reply 49 of 109
    wizard69wizard69 Posts: 13,377member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by DHagan4755 View Post


    I wouldn't say Apple's line up is hard to understand. I would say that it's hard to understand why Apple's line up is so limited.



    Isn't that more or less the same thing?

    Quote:



    Those Microsoft "Laptop Hunters" ads (while some may be misleading) are hurting. Apple doesn't offer a 15" notebook for any less than $2,000. That's just outrageous.



    Well yes and no. Have purchased an early 2008 MBP I understand the pricing disadvantage compare to the dirt cheap products, but to comparable hardware it is only somewhat expensive. The problem is Apple doesn't offer up that spectrum of products that they ought to offer.

    Quote:



    So Apple is rumored through John Gruber to be rebranding the 13-inch unibody aluminum MacBook to the 13" MacBook Pro.



    Why?



    Most likely it is telegraphing a move to a separate low cost line up. In other words Apple will end up with a wider array of plastic Mac Books with the aluminum cased laptops becoming MBP. I really think it is the only opportunity Apple has to lower cost as a CNC'ed housing can't be cheap.

    Quote:



    Unless the 13" MacBook Pro is also getting Firewire back, and adding the 9600 graphics option it seems like an irrational move!



    Well it would need FireWire but then again all Apple products need that. The difference though would simply be the case. Notably that case would be highly worthwhile for some from the reliability standpoint.

    Quote:

    That MacBook may be selling well right now, but if Apple's justification for maintaining high prices for their notebooks solely because of the metal enclosure, then they should be exploring offering larger display notebooks in the plastic enclosure.



    Exactly and I se such a move as a prep for that eventuality. Plus it gives them the option to make the 13" "MBP" more AIR like. That 13" MBP could become a very thing an light device.

    Quote:



    As far as quad processors in the all-in-one iMac...I don't see any other all-in-ones using quad chips. Maybe I have missed it. It still doesn't negate the question of why Apple refuses to put the quad core Intel Core i7 desktop chips in the Mac Pros. Again, this is outrageous.



    Look closely at the small form factor market which is all you really need to do. Further you can get on Apples knowledge base and look up electrical power demand on the current iMac, it would have been easy for them to build a quad core machine using Intel's small form factor solutions.



    Yeah that would be a move away form the mobile chipsets but frankly it is about time as the gulf between the mobile devices and the high end desktop line is becoming an ocean.

    Quote:



    I don't know what fine matrix Apple runs their business model through. It seems to have worked for them until recently. Friends that told me that they wish to purchase Apple hardware and have sticker shock when they compare the specs to the competition. They always ask me why are there limited options. I'm not in favor of the numerous configuration options of HP & Dell, but I think Apple needs to loosen up a little or they may be roadkill soon.



    It isn't so much an issue of price shock as it is an issue of the huge gaps in the line up. When Apple first went to Intel it wasn't much of a problem because Intel was in transition at the time too and to be frank the machines where a huge improvement over the Power PC lineup. However now Intel has a wider spread in performance available that they never had before and Apple is only playing at the outer edges of this performance spectrum (ignoring ATOM for the moment). They have absolutely nothing that can be reasonably said to offer mid level performance.







    Dave
  • Reply 50 of 109
    dhagan4755dhagan4755 Posts: 2,152member
    All that's left to say about this is — while Apple has been on a roll lately, but they cannot sit on their laurels! For example, I work in education. All of the people that I have to buy notebooks for don't want a 13-inch screen. They want 15-inch notebooks or bigger. With Apple, it's $1,899 to get into the 15-inch screen territory. It's getting very hard to justify buying a 15-inch notebook from Apple when I can buy a similarly equipped notebook from Dell or HP for $1,199 or less, and that also includes a 3-year warranty.
  • Reply 51 of 109
    frank777frank777 Posts: 5,839member
    I'm going to go out on a limb and predict that Apple will introduce the first 20" MacBook Pro.



    It would be totally like Apple to go further upscale rather than downward in a recession.



    In addition, the iMac has largely gone to 24", e-IPS panels are coming online and 2.5" 7200RPM drives are now prevalent. The company also needs to leverage the new battery technology they pioneered in the 17" MBP, but has used nowhere else.



    Given that the Pro Apps are going to be revved at WWDC and an OS with high end processing systems introduced, the perfect machine to complement these would be a 20" MacBook Pro.
  • Reply 52 of 109
    pbpb Posts: 4,244member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by Frank777 View Post


    I'm going to go out on a limb and predict that Apple will introduce the first 20" MacBook Pro.



    Be careful with that limb.



    Personally I don't expect any new hardware, with probably the exception of the iPhone.
  • Reply 53 of 109
    pbpb Posts: 4,244member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by DHagan4755 View Post


    All that's left to say about this is ? while Apple has been on a roll lately, but they cannot sit on their laurels! For example, I work in education. All of the people that I have to buy notebooks for don't want a 13-inch screen. They want 15-inch notebooks or bigger. With Apple, it's $1,899 to get into the 15-inch screen territory. It's getting very hard to justify buying a 15-inch notebook from Apple when I can buy a similarly equipped notebook from Dell or HP for $1,199 or less, and that also includes a 3-year warranty.



    I don't think Apple is going to address this any time soon. The price you pay when you get a cheaper Macbook over a Macbook Pro is the crappy display. My eyes popped out when I saw (new) MBP's displayed side by side with (new) MB's. An Apple product of high quality is going to cost much, as always was the case.



    My feeling is that the MB is as low as Apple can get (for now) in price while compromising quality. Just don't expect an Apple 15" portable at less than $1,200. Not now anyway.
  • Reply 54 of 109
    wizard69wizard69 Posts: 13,377member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by Frank777 View Post


    I'm going to go out on a limb and predict that Apple will introduce the first 20" MacBook Pro.



    I could see where such a machine would be very useful in a number of industries but yet wonder if overall demand would be high enough to be profitable. It would be a great product for engineering field offices to run CAD on. Of course that means Windows but still an Apple possibility. The key here would be the units profitability.

    Quote:



    It would be totally like Apple to go further upscale rather than downward in a recession.



    I'm not sure where that thought comes from.

    Quote:



    In addition, the iMac has largely gone to 24", e-IPS panels are coming online and 2.5" 7200RPM drives are now prevalent. The company also needs to leverage the new battery technology they pioneered in the 17" MBP, but has used nowhere else.



    What new battery tech? They put a bigger battery in the machine and it lasts longer. No surprises there. In isn't like the battery is a new chemistery or anything stunning. This is about as big of a technology upgrade as going from a AA Mag Light to a D-cell one is.

    Quote:



    Given that the Pro Apps are going to be revved at WWDC and an OS with high end processing systems introduced, the perfect machine to complement these would be a 20" MacBook Pro.



    Well I don't think we will see the Pro apps upgraded until Snow Oeopard comes out. That is of course speculation but the smart move on Apples part would be to go 64bit on these apps and make use of other SL features. After all why have Pro apps that can't leverage your flagship OS. Especially when that OS is designed from the ground up to make acceleration of advance apps easier.







    Dave
  • Reply 55 of 109
    wplj42wplj42 Posts: 439member
    I hope Apple surprises us with a new voice in SL. Perhaps a girl voice with the same high quality as Alex. Resolution Independence too, please. In dreams, I wish Apple would morph Apple TV and the mini. Let the optical drive become an attachable add-on, just like Bose does with the Wave CD changer. iLife could be consider and extra as well, perhaps $59. OS X comes with just about everything one would need to get started. Without an optical drive and iLife, the mini could be priced at $399 with a slightly slower processor. At that price, they could get rid of Apple TV. Do put the HDMI connector on the mini though. For the person who has bucks to spare, the mini should have an option for a biggie SSD. I have an iMac and enjoy it, but would prefer a mini with the HDMI option so I could go straight to an HD TV. So, again in dreams, I hope for low vision enhancements for SL. To be realistic, a Mac mini HD with price points from $499 to $999.
  • Reply 56 of 109
    amorphamorph Posts: 7,112member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by wizard69 View Post


    Well yes and no. Have purchased an early 2008 MBP I understand the pricing disadvantage compare to the dirt cheap products, but to comparable hardware it is only somewhat expensive. The problem is Apple doesn't offer up that spectrum of products that they ought to offer.



    Yeah, I just went through that helping someone buy a notebook. There are a lot of PC notebooks out there with last-generation hardware and a less than spectacular 15" or 17" screen for $800-$1300. No, they don't compete with the MacBook Pros and they're not intended to. They're for people who want a big screen but don't need the muscle (or the cost) of professional hardware.



    Apple can go on about clear product lines all day, but if they took the baseline MacBook and put it in a 15" or 17" case they would sell those things all day, every day. Now that MacBooks look like MacBook Pros they would admittedly have a devil of a time disambiguating them the 15" and 17" laptops visually, but in that case it may be time for a design refresh.



    That particular hole in their lineup has stuck in my craw for years.



    [edit: on topic, Apple has a habit of releasing hardware updates ahead of WWDC so that the developers' conference is about... developers, and specifically the topics that developers are interested in. However, that precedent was set when Apple was still trying to gin up hype for their products. They don't have to do that anymore, so I can safely predict that there will only be major announcements of major overhauls or new products. Refreshes will go out the door when they're ready and Phil wants them to hit the market, accompanied by a press release.]
  • Reply 57 of 109
    hmurchisonhmurchison Posts: 12,354member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by WPLJ42 View Post




    In dreams, I wish Apple would morph Apple TV and the mini. Let the optical drive become an attachable add-on, just like Bose does with the Wave CD changer. iLife could be consider and extra as well, perhaps $59. OS X comes with just about everything one would need to get started. Without an optical drive and iLife, the mini could be priced at $399 with a slightly slower processor. At that price, they could get rid of Apple TV. Do put the HDMI connector on the mini though. For the person who has bucks to spare, the mini should have an option for a biggie SSD. I have an iMac and enjoy it, but would prefer a mini with the HDMI option so I could go straight to an HD TV. So, again in dreams, I hope for low vision enhancements for SL. To be realistic, a Mac mini HD with price points from $499 to $999.



    You're thinking about the value equation from a computing first and CE device later standpoint. The Apple TV , according to S. Jobs, is the DVD for the internet and if that is indeed true then a vast majority of your rank and file movie consumers are looking at sub $99 DVD players as what they expect to pay. The people that want a $400 device for playing back movies are dwarfed by the critical mass that want the cheapo device. Thus Apple would be foolish to attempt to have the Apple TV and Mac mini merge.



    We tend to come at these things with an attitude that is "yeah i'd pay $400" but for consumers that arent' as computer savvy $400 is a whole heap of money. Take the guts of the iPod Touch coming out this year. Stick it into an Apple TV chassis and you've likely got your next Apple TV option.
  • Reply 58 of 109
    wplj42wplj42 Posts: 439member
    I would never purchase Apple TV. I've spent a $25 iTunes card on music and never again. Aside from ticks and pops, I can get more realistic sound from my $100 turntable. I hate this new digital world. Compression technologies are destroying the quality of both picture and sound and we put up with it. I don't really care what Apple does with Apple TV. I do stand fast on my opinion of making the mini a device that also includes the audio and video components of the Apple TV product, and of course, whatever software is needed to use them. My next Mac will be a mini. I want and need larger text. I could be happy with a 26" TV running at 1366 x 768 (720p), and I will need HDMI for that.
  • Reply 59 of 109
    mellomello Posts: 555member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by Frank777 View Post


    I'm going to go out on a limb and predict that Apple will introduce the first 20" MacBook Pro.



    I'd definitely buy one as long it was a quad-core, had a blu-ray burner, & a 512gb 7200 rpm

    hard drive.
  • Reply 60 of 109
    Here's my predictions:



    A given:


    -A big, long speech on Snow Leopard and the advanced new features, plus a ship date.

    -iPhone 3.0 software.

    -New iPhone: faster processor, 16 and 32 GB models, better camera with on-phone photo and video editing, same price.



    Likely:

    -MacBook touch: 10" multi-touch Atom-based tablet running Snow Leopard with $600-$800 pricepoint.

    -CDMA iPhone for Verizon Wireless. Much like Jobs announcing the stats that last year, "the biggest iPhone barrier was price", Schiller will say that the reason Apple's opening up the iPhone to VZW is because "Our market research shows that XX% of potential iPhone customers don't want to switch carriers".



    Don't Bet On It:

    -Other new Mac hardware products.


    -New Pro Apps.

    -iPhone for Sprint. After all, they want the Palm Pre to be the once-and-for-all iPhone killer.
Sign In or Register to comment.