Microsoft says Zune HD is real, will get multi-touch

Comments

• Reply 21 of 180
    cycomikocycomiko Posts: 716member
    Once its wrapped up in a rubber sleeve like my touch is (gotta protect the scratch magnet), it will look nearly identical...

if they had made the back rounded and smooth, people would have complained that it was identical to the ipod, and wonked on. They picked a different style - "industrial" - and they get pinged for having screws...

I wonder if that means the user can easily replace the battery
  • Reply 22 of 180
    wobegonwobegon Posts: 764member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by cycomiko View Post

I wonder if that means the user can easily replace the battery

I think screws?especially what look like four custom or hex screws?pretty much take "easily replaceable" out of the picture.
  • Reply 23 of 180
    I can't see it. Most people don't care about, nor know, the difference between OLED vs LCD.

Unless it actually makes a significant difference in battery life or visual clarity it's not a selling point.

Radio? I don't get this either. It's not a bad feature, but with Pandora and Podcasts traditional radio just seems... antiquated.

MS is going to have to way than simply copying the iPod Touch if it wants to make any headway.
  • Reply 24 of 180
    I recall reading a similar such press release from MS a few years ago, and maybe one a few years before that. They just change the words around a bit.

yawn.
  • Reply 25 of 180
    brucepbrucep Posts: 2,823member
    d
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by justflybob View Post

sorry, but you lost me at microsoft says...

: lol good one dude
  • Reply 26 of 180
    solipsismsolipsism Posts: 25,726member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by misterjingles View Post

I can't see it. Most people don't care about, nor know, the difference between OLED vs LCD.

Unless it actually makes a significant difference in battery life or visual clarity it's not a selling point.

Radio? I don't get this either. It's not a bad feature, but with Pandora and Podcasts traditional radio just seems? antiquated.

I think OLED is becoming the new marketing techno-jargon for displays. I couldn?t care less about it, too, unless it actually provides some worthwhile benefit to the device.

As for a radio, this didn?t help other players compete against against the original iPod and it?s even less likely to work now. Sure, there are few that want a radio but that demand is small and seems to be getting smaller, regardless of HD radio.
  • Reply 27 of 180
    revenantrevenant Posts: 621member
    logo in the right spot. black bottom. glass front... anyone see it?

i am remembering something from the first apple keynote i ever saw, "redmond, start your copiers"
  • Reply 28 of 180
    anantksundaramanantksundaram Posts: 20,403member
    Ah, derivative Microsoft. Decent looks (except for those screws that will surely gather crud) notwithstanding, they don't seem to understand that it's primarily about the software.

When's their phone coming out?
  • Reply 29 of 180
    sflocalsflocal Posts: 6,092member
    One thing Microsoft is very good at doing is hitting the "start" button on all their copy machines. It's really quite sad that the powers-at-be just don't get it.

Even if the product is made well to be worthy hardware-specs wise to an iPod Touch, Microsoft time and again has proven to be quite inept at providing a all-encompassing user experience. They will most likely continue their draconian DRM implementations and buggy software.

That being said, at the minimum it will keep Apple to continue innovation. It's pathetic that a company the size of Microsoft can put those billions of dollars in the bank to use and develop something that is actually original and unique.

Good luck M$. History has shown that you are consistently failing. Perhaps you will surprise us. Prove us wrong!
  • Reply 30 of 180
    jb85jb85 Posts: 33member
    The fact that it can't play HD movies and tv shows on the actual device is deffinitely a turn off for me. I have purchased a lot of HD content from itunes for my iPhone and there is a significant difference between SD and HD. I think my iPhone picture looks amazing. What's the point of calling it a Zune HD if it can't even play HD content on the device itself?
  • Reply 31 of 180
    mactelmactel Posts: 1,275member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by hmurchison View Post

You mean beaten Apple to announcing it. The Zune HD isn't shipping yet.

Exactly! We're comparing to a product that has no solid ship date (sometime in fall). Apple is intro'ing new iPhones next month and maybe new iPod Touches so we'll see how it all shakes out with the latest from Apple and this new Zune when it finally ships.

MS can never keep a secret and often they float these annoucements to create FUD so people on the fence between MS and Apple products will wait a bit longer rather than make a quick buy on a Apple product. I don't know who those people are but MS seems to think there's enough to require this release of info.

I hope they do well. We need the competition to keep the innovation flowing.
  • Reply 32 of 180
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by anantksundaram View Post

they don't seem to understand that it's primarily about the software.

Rather ironic since MS is supposedly a software shop.
  • Reply 33 of 180
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by MacTel View Post

.... and often they float these annoucements to create FUD so people on the fence between MS and Apple products will wait a bit longer rather than make a quick buy on a Apple product.......

Yup, "freezing the market" as it is sometimes called. Used to happen in the telecom industry a lot in the early 2000s (Lucent Technologies used to be Exhibit A with this tactic). It used to work somewhat well when the do-er was big and do-ee was small. It's not going to work for Microsoft: Apple's way beyond this now.

Even though (I think) the US Department of Justice should really be looking at behavior like this, there is no law against it.
  • Reply 34 of 180
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by misterjingles View Post

Rather ironic since MS is supposedly a software shop.

Excellent point.
  • Reply 35 of 180
    gtl215gtl215 Posts: 242member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by Pine View Post

The OLED display almost seems like a must now for the new iPhone. It's a key feature a lot of people want and Microsoft has beaten apple to.

Go ask 10 people on the street if they want OLED in their PMPs... after u explain that a PMP is a fancy geek term for iPod, then after you explain what OLED is, you'll quickly realize nobody is truly clamoring for it.
  • Reply 36 of 180
    fraklincfraklinc Posts: 244member
    Apple better get rid of those awful screens they been using on the iPhone and the Touch quick, remember even though you only pay $199 for a iphone AT&T pays Apple the other $300. Black on the current screens look more like dark gray, OLED solves that problem, deeper black and brighter whites.
  • Reply 37 of 180
    When will the iPhone wannabees ever learn???? 40,000 Apps, 1 Billion downloads, Robust SDK....if you do not have a rich SDK and developers who are drooling to port their already developed iPhone apps to the new iPhone wannabee...you are DEAD IN THE WATER. The new Palm Pre comes out June 6th....Big Deal, I have no ambition as an iPhone developer to port my apps....where is the attractive SDK??? If you do not have an SDK, an app store and a 70/30 split or something similar....I'm not interested; I'll write more iPhone apps!! Palm should compare their Pre to the Storm in the market place, not the iPhone. Come on guys (mobile device makers) get a clue!
  • Reply 38 of 180
    When will the iPhone wannabees ever learn???? 40,000 Apps, 1 Billion downloads, Robust SDK....if you do not have a rich SDK and developers who are drooling to port their already developed iPhone apps to the new iPhone wannabee...you are DEAD IN THE WATER. The new Palm Pre comes out June 6th....Big Deal, I have no ambition as an iPhone developer to port my apps....where is the attractive SDK??? If you do not have an SDK, an app store and a 70/30 split or something similar....I'm not interested; I'll write more iPhone apps!! Palm should compare their Pre to the Storm in the market place, not the iPhone. Come on guys (mobile device makers) get a clue!
  • Reply 39 of 180
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by fraklinc View Post

. . . Black on the current screens look more like dark gray, OLED solves that problem, deeper black and brighter whites.

Doesn't change my mind . . . I would rather have something that just works (iPhone/iTouch) than something that has a slightly better black or white image.
  • Reply 40 of 180
    nikon133nikon133 Posts: 2,600member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by solipsism View Post

In all fairness, it does have a smaller screen which technically does give it a slightly higher pixel-per-inch that the iPod Touch which has a 163ppi compared to this Zune?s whopping 167ppi.

Isn't the point in being capable of playing HD video (without converting it to lower bit-rates) and radio - rather than screen resolution itself..?