Apple's Back-to-School promo offers free 8GB iPod touch

Posted:
in General Discussion edited January 2014
Apple on Wednesday officially kicked off its 2009 back-to-school promotion, which offers a free 8GB iPod touch to students and educational staffers who purchase a qualifying Mac.

What does the promo offer?

More specifically, the promotion offers a $229 online rebate that cancels out the price of an 8GB iPod touch. Customers who instead prefer an 8GB iPod nano, 16GB iPod nano, 120GB iPod classic, or 4GB iPod shuffle can elect to receive lesser rebates that will similarly compensate for the costs of those models.

Which Macs qualify?

Apple lists qualifying Mac systems as the MacBook, MacBook Air, MacBook Pro, iMac and Mac Pro. The Mac mini and refurbished Macs do not qualify, nor do refurbished iPods.

Who is eligible?

Any employee of a public or private K-12 institution in the United States is eligible for the offer, as are school board members who are currently serving as elected or appointed members and PTA or PTO executives currently serving as elected or appointed officers.

Faculty and staff of Higher Education institutions; and students attending, or accepted into a Higher Education institution are similarly eligable.

Apple also announced this year that parents purchasing on behalf of their child, who is a student currently attending or accepted into a public or private Higher Education Institution in the United States, can partake in the offer.

When, where, and how do I participate?

In order to qualify for the offer, the iPod and Mac system must be purchased at the same time and appear on the same before September 8. The products must be purchased from the Apple Online Store for Education Individuals, an Apple Retail Store, Apple Telesales, or an Apple Authorized Campus Store located in the 50 United States or the District of Columbia.

"After you receive your Mac and iPod, submit your claim online by October 8, 2009," Apple says. "Once your claim has been submitted, check your rebate status at any time."

This year's promo, which was first reported by AppleInsider in its report on more affordable Macs, is similar to last year's promo but offers a $229 rebate for an iPod touch as opposed to a $299 rebate. Last year the 8GB iPod touch cost $299.

Full terms of the deal have now been posted online [PDF].

Comments

• Reply 1 of 28
    eduardoeduardo Posts: 181member
    Seems like the rumour that this year's "Back to School"-promotion would include an iPhone as a free item turn out to be false. Good promotion nonetheless-I remember the 4GB first generation nano that I received when I bought my first generation Macbook under the "Back to School"-promotion.
  • Reply 2 of 28
    nanotechnanotech Posts: 38member
    "Apple lists qualifying Mac systems as the MacBook, MacBook Air, MacBook Pro, iMac and iMac. "

Hm, I think you said "iMac" twice there.
  • Reply 3 of 28
    ivan.rnn01ivan.rnn01 Posts: 1,822member
  • Reply 4 of 28
    bageljoeybageljoey Posts: 2,004member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by Nanotech View Post

"Apple lists qualifying Mac systems as the MacBook, MacBook Air, MacBook Pro, iMac and iMac. "

Hm, I think you said "iMac" twice there.

I read that and though "that's more Mac lines than I thought..." without even noticing the duplication. That's what I get for trying to read before 9:00 am!
  • Reply 5 of 28
    lorrelorre Posts: 396member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by ivan.rnn01 View Post

Nice they updated the RAM to 800MHz

I guess this means alu MB updates must be around the corner. Kinda silly how much advantages the white MacBook has over the entry level alu one.
  • Reply 6 of 28
    What do you think, will Apple offer this back to school promo in the U.k as well?

thanks
  • Reply 7 of 28
    kasperkasper Posts: 941member, administrator
    Guys,

Apple just posted the terms of the deal (they werent available before). The Mac Pro does qualify as do several other iPod models.

K
  • Reply 8 of 28
    I wanted to purchase a white macbook for my sons girlfriend who is entering college this fall. If I am reading it correctly, it doesn't look like I can take advantage of this offer. What do you guys think?
  • Reply 9 of 28
    ivan.rnn01ivan.rnn01 Posts: 1,822member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by chillwill View Post

I wanted to purchase a white macbook for my sons girlfriend who is entering college this fall. If I am reading it correctly, it doesn't look like I can take advantage of this offer. What do you guys think?

I might have missed something about it, but white MacBook seems to qualify, too...

Quote:

PRODUCT ELIGIBILITY: Only the following Apple Computers qualify for this promotion: iMac, MacBook, MacBook Pro, MacBook Air, and Mac Pro (?Apple Computers?). Configure-to-order

versions of these Apple Computers qualify for this offer. Refurbished Apple Computers do not qualify. Mac mini does not qualify. All iPod models in the table below qualify for this promotion.

Refurbished iPod models do not qualify. The eligible Apple Computers and iPod models listed herein are collectively referred to as ?Qualifying Products.?

• Reply 10 of 28
    I apologize for not being clear. My concern was whether or not I would qualify for this discount since I am not her parent.
  • Reply 11 of 28
    buzdotsbuzdots Posts: 452member
    Quote:

I apologize for not being clear. My concern was whether or not I would qualify for this discount since I am not her parent.

Should be no problem... as long as you know which school she is going to, just follow the prompts and be ready to pay at the end. I am pretty sure Apple doesn't care if you are her parent or not. I have done this numerous times for my kids and they never asked for a DNA sample. LOL
  • Reply 12 of 28
    paxmanpaxman Posts: 4,729member
    Quote:

You are a very nice parent of the boyfriend! You must REALLY hope your boy marries this girl? You should get a special discount just for being a nice guy imo.

(But who gets the iPod?)
  • Reply 13 of 28
    wally626wally626 Posts: 72member
    Looks like a really good rebate this year. When my son got his two years ago the rebate only covered a 4 GB nano.

I think as long as you use the education store you are good to go. If you wanted to be completely legal, give her the money and she can purchase it herself.
  • Reply 14 of 28
    buzdotsbuzdots Posts: 452member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by paxman View Post

(But who gets the iPod?)

Wedding bribe... I mean gift!
  • Reply 15 of 28
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by paxman View Post

You are a very nice parent of the boyfriend! You must REALLY hope your boy marries this girl? You should get a special discount just for being a nice guy imo.

(But who gets the iPod?)

I get the iPod! HA!

Seriously, though, she deserves it regardless if they stay together or not. She has been a great influence on my boy
  • Reply 16 of 28
    mactelmactel Posts: 1,275member
    So long 8Gb iPod Touch. Come the end of this promo your days will end.
  • Reply 17 of 28
    floccusfloccus Posts: 138member
    The promo is only for a free iPod Touch, with the rebate set at $229. In all likelihood the Touch will be updated along with the iPhone halfway through the promo period to get OS version 3.0 out there. This means you could end up getting a nice 16GB Touch if you can wait a month or so. I'm still waiting till after WWDC to move no matter what, simply because its only another two weeks away.
  • Reply 18 of 28
    flounderflounder Posts: 2,674member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by floccus View Post

The promo is only for a free iPod Touch, with the rebate set at $229. In all likelihood the Touch will be updated along with the iPhone halfway through the promo period to get OS version 3.0 out there. This means you could end up getting a nice 16GB Touch if you can wait a month or so. I'm still waiting till after WWDC to move no matter what, simply because its only another two weeks away.

I have to say, that's very unlikely in my estimation. 3.0 will come out and it'll be $10 or whatever it is they charge for current touch users to upgrade.

Apple pretty much without fail does an iPod upgrade shortly AFTER the back to school promo ends and in time for the holiday buying season (late September or October). The promo clears out stock of the previous generation. Once or twice they upgraded iPods while there were still a couple weeks left in the promo, but I distinctly recall new models not being a part of the promo.

The chances of your prediction being accurate are slim to none.
  • Reply 19 of 28
    In the UK:

The Apple Corporate Gifting and Rewards Program lets you create the ideal promotion or employee incentive with iPod touch. You'll save big when you order in volume.* And don't forget, iPod nano, iTunes Gift Cards and the amazing new iPod shuffle also make great gift or prize ideas.
  • Reply 20 of 28
    jasonxjasonx Posts: 17member
    So high school and elementary school students and their parents can't take advantage of this? Has it always been that way, or is that a change?