Microsoft says Zune HD is real, will get multi-touch

Comments

• Reply 101 of 180
    teckstudteckstud Posts: 6,476member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by Feynman View Post

While it's not fugly like the original Zune, it does have visible screws where the iPod/iPod Touch never had.

It's totally lacking the iPod/iPod Touch scratches as well.
  • Reply 102 of 180
    patspats Posts: 112member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by GTL215 View Post

OLED is expensive and unproven. While Apple leads in ways such as dropping SCSI and floopy drives before anyone else, they also tend to shy away from "bags of hurt" as we all know. I don't think OLED is a bag of hurt, but I think it falls in the same "wait and see" category.

Did you miss out on the 500M investment Apple made with LG? You don't need that kind of upfront commitment to produce LCD panels which Apple can buy from about anyone. Apple paid 500M upfront to get first in line for OLED from LG. The only question is what size panels and in which devices do they put them in. June 8 we will know if they are going into this years Iphone/Itouch.
  • Reply 103 of 180
    Quote:

OLED is expensive and unproven. While Apple leads in ways such as dropping SCSI and floopy drives before anyone else, they also tend to shy away from "bags of hurt" as we all know. I don't think OLED is a bag of hurt, but I think it falls in the same "wait and see" category.

Is non- scratchable and un-crackable plastic "wait and see" also?
  • Reply 104 of 180
    Quote:

That's great - and for how long do you think this will be a differentiating feature missing on the iphone-ipod touch? If it's as great as everyone says it is, Apple will integrate it when the tech is properly matured. I'm not gonna drop my iPhone /iPod Touch and go running to get a ZuneHD just for the 6-12 months before Apple does it too. I don't see Apple having OLEDs in this year's upgrade pipeline. Probably next year though.

Where's the LED on the iMac?
  • Reply 105 of 180
    anantksundaramanantksundaram Posts: 20,403member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by nikon133 View Post

Um... you are aware there are likely more MS users that would never swap their miserable Windows experience for all-encompassing Mac experience, than all Mac users together.

Yeah, but the point is whether they all have the cash to savor the "experience."
  • Reply 106 of 180
    maestro64maestro64 Posts: 5,043member
    Just another classic example of trying to keep people from buying your competitors products before you can get yours out the door.

Kind of like saying "Hey look at me and what I might do years from now, do not look at that guy who will have the product next week"

This is a poor attempt to keep people from making a purchase in hopes that M$ might have something slightly better.

Everyone knows how apple works they do not allow sneak peeks or early product announcements unless it is for a really good reason and knows it will not hurt current sales of current products. M$ knows this and is trying to use it against Apple.

If OLED is ready for prime time you know Apple will use it if it affords them the ability to get better performance and better end user experience.

It use to be said that no one can take on M$, however, Apple is forcing them to compete with me on their terms... an interesting time we live in.
  • Reply 107 of 180
    gtl215gtl215 Posts: 242member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by pats View Post

Did you miss out on the 500M investment Apple made with LG? You don't need that kind of upfront commitment to produce LCD panels which Apple can buy from about anyone. Apple paid 500M upfront to get first in line for OLED from LG. The only question is what size panels and in which devices do they put them in. June 8 we will know if they are going into this years Iphone/Itouch.

As i've said, i fully expect the iPhone and iPod Touch to sport OLED - I just don't know when. Could it be this year? Of course. You're right, we'll just have to wait and see.
  • Reply 108 of 180
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by Maestro64 View Post

If OLED is ready for prime time you know Apple will use it if it affords them the ability to get better performance and better end user experience.

Exactly. That's all i'm saying. I don't expect apple to rush OLED into their products just to catch up with MS. Apple doesn't play the "me too" game - we all know that's microsoft's business model, not apple's. If they have it this year, great. If not, they have their reasons. It's not like Apple is unaware of OLED's potential and somehow microsoft is beating them to the punch.
  • Reply 109 of 180
    quadra 610quadra 610 Posts: 6,757member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by teckstud View Post

Is non- scratchable and un-crackable plastic "wait and see" also?

It's a simple matter of taking care of your stuff, Teckstud.

It's pretty easy to keep all your devices looking as good as the day you bought them.
  • Reply 110 of 180
    istinkistink Posts: 250member
    Even if this is a bust, I've seen a few decent people here make the point I've ALWAYS tried to convey to the majority of people here: COMPETITION DRIVES INNOVATION. Why do you think technology gets such a big boost from wars!?

Before everyone goes ape sh*t over the fact that hd videos don't play in hd on the device, keep in mind, a device this small won't display hd anyways. The fact that it can even support 1080p playback with it's video output is something MANY people will enjoy.

It really is disheartening to hear everyone bash things that aren't even out yet and that pose any kind of threat to Apple in any way (like the Pre.) Most of you people are boring as f**k for this reason.

I will say though, I'm glad to see at least a handful of people here actually have enough sense in their head to know things like this will only motivate Apple to make even better products.
  • Reply 111 of 180
    richlrichl Posts: 2,213member
    There's no need to rush. The Zune HD is out in Septmember. The new iPhone will be out in July.

OLED is already proven tech. It's already used in phones with bigger and higher resolution screens than the iPhone. I'd wager that the new iPhone will have an OLED screen. Apple doesn't have much to lose against the Zune but they sure have a lot to lose against the other cell phone manufacturers.
  • Reply 112 of 180
    anantksundaramanantksundaram Posts: 20,403member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by RichL View Post

There's no need to rush. The Zune HD is out in Septmember. The new iPhone will be out in July.

OLED is already proven tech. It's already used in phones with bigger and higher resolution screens than the iPhone. I'd wager that the new iPhone will have an OLED screen. Apple doesn't have much to lose against the Zune but they sure have a lot to lose against the other cell phone manufacturers.

How come not one of you singing OLED's praises here has pointed out cost implications? How much more will it cost per Touch/handset?

If you are not sure, please move along.....
  • Reply 113 of 180
    palalunepalalune Posts: 20member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by digitalclips View Post

You know, you may have hit on an idea for a great game for iPhone here ... "Windoze Emulation" where you have to try to download an update before the worm or virus attacks and navigate mindless and incorrect messages although some are critical to survive. Balance between firewalls from The Master and those from 3rd party apps and try to get the elusive mail message before it goes into a spam filter you can't locate ... all the while you have to dismiss fast appearing pop ups, Active Z and restart messages before the small window closes and you lose. The game has to re purchased every so often as it gets slower and slower the more you play and it costs more to repair than replace ... This could sell in the billions!

Hehe, brilliant :-)
  • Reply 114 of 180
    MacProMacPro Posts: 19,718member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by Palalune View Post

Heck I better patent it quickly!
  • Reply 115 of 180
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by anantksundaram View Post

How come not one of you singing OLED's praises here has pointed out cost implications? How much more will it cost per Touch/handset?

Someone mentioned earlier that one of Sony's new mp3 players uses oled and it didn't effect prices too much. I couldn't find any info on this though.

edit:

here we go: http://www.sonystyle.com/webapp/wcs/...52921644636396 they hid the information on their homepage (LOL)

399 for 32gb, 299 for 16gb. I dunno. Seems a bit expensive.
  • Reply 116 of 180
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by Palalune View Post

actually he just sounds like a brainwashed fanboy who's watched too many apple tv ads.
  • Reply 117 of 180
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by Quadra 610 View Post

It's a simple matter of taking care of your stuff, Teckstud.

It's pretty easy to keep all your devices looking as good as the day you bought them.

Not when merely touching it scratches it- especially the hi-polished metal back. It's actually a simple matter of using cheap scratchable plastics- part of a planned obsolesence for the device I would presume. Actually quite brilliant on Apple's part.
  • Reply 118 of 180
    richlrichl Posts: 2,213member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by anantksundaram View Post

The price difference isn't significant. The Samsung i8910 8GB with 3.7" capacitive OLED screen is cheaper than the current iPhone 3G 8GB (£70 on a £30pm/18 month contract vs £100 on a £30pm/18 month contract).
  • Reply 119 of 180
    res08haores08hao Posts: 114member
    I would hang myself if I worked for this pathetic company.

Daddy, what do you do at microsoft?

I work on the zune.

What's that?

It's like the ipod.

Never heard of it.

I know.

Steve Ballmer, man of vision and dynamic leader. What a loudmouth blustering buffoon.
  • Reply 120 of 180
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by RichL View Post

The price difference isn't significant. The Samsung i8910 8GB with 3.7" capacitive OLED screen is cheaper than the current iPhone 3G 8GB (£70 on a £30pm/18 month contract vs £100 on a £30pm/18 month contract).

so it sounds like a forgone conclusion the iPhone will have OLED screen, probably this year. Where are the Pre fanboys? All of a sudden multiple "web apps" on Sprint doesn't seem as enticing. Another iPhone killer, kicked to the curb.