Steve Jobs sounding "energetic" a month before return to Apple

Comments

• Reply 21 of 72
    irelandireland Posts: 17,798member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by Nano_tube View Post

Please Mr Jobs! Please!!! Quit Apple already... go home!

Let the younger generation take over.

Maybe then we will have a normal Mac desktop that is reasonably priced...

Not a mac mini, not an imac, not a mac pro - just a mac with normal hardware, normal price and the only reason why 99% of us buy macs in the first place - OS X!

Last but not least, I wish you Mr. Jobs all the best and a long healthy life.

Nano_tube

A hacint0sh is what you're looking for. If you want real value, you're looking to the wrong company, not just the wrong CEO.
  • Reply 22 of 72
    nano_tubenano_tube Posts: 114member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by Ireland View Post

A hacint0sh is what you're looking for. If you want real value, you're looking to the wrong company, not just the wrong CEO.

Fair enough. I have one question though. When I buy a hakint0sh, can I update the OS or re-install it without doing any hacking? If so, I might consider it.

Your response is valued. Thank you for your cooperation citizen.

• Reply 23 of 72
    dimmokdimmok Posts: 359member
    Get better Big Steve...we all miss you and want you back asap.
  • Reply 24 of 72
    Quote:

When I buy a hakint0sh, can I update the OS or re-install it without doing any hacking?

They're called hackint0sh for a reason...
  • Reply 25 of 72
    irelandireland Posts: 17,798member
    Quote:

Fair enough. I have one question though. When I buy a hakint0sh, can I update the OS or re-install it without doing any hacking? If so, I might consider it.

no....
  • Reply 26 of 72
    ouraganouragan Posts: 437member
    Quote:

Although Wozniak admitted to having never asked Jobs about his health directly, he told representatives for the financial paper that his one-time pal ?doesn?t sound like he?s sick,? nor does he appear to be battling a dire health problem.

The upbeat comments contrast with those made by Jobs' real estate attorney Howard Ellman last month during a town council meeting to determine whether the chief executive should be free to demolish a historic but abandoned mansion he owns in the Woodside Hills.

While I wish Steve Jobs the best (as any human being), the evidence is that Steve Jobs has been too sick to work since mid-October 2008. AppleInsider has also reported that Steve Jobs was investigating the possibility to have a liver transplant.

Steve Jobs had pancreas cancer surgery in 2004, less than 5 years ago, possibly after delaying the surgery for 9 months. We should ask ourselves what could possibly prevent Steve Jobs from discharging his duties at Apple for a total duration of 8 and 1/2 months, if not a recurrence of cancer.

A "nutrition problem" doesn't begin to explain Steve Jobs' condition.

I agree that we shouldn't expect Steve Jobs to return to Apple in any capacity other than Chairman or Honorary Chairman of the Board of directors. And there is no reason why Steve Jobs wouldn't be allowed to retire, given his age, his personal wealth or his health condition.

Give Steve Jobs a chance to retire. Apple can stand on its own two feet, with or without the assistance of Steve Jobs. The test of true leadership is not how much a CEO costs, but whether or not he could build a long lasting organization, an organization which will endure long after the so called "leader" has departed.

I will submit to you that Apple can survive without Steve Jobs and do even better than today. Conversely, a corporation which doesn't embrace change is condemned to fail. Life is change. Business is change. It's high time for Apple to get a new CEO.

• Reply 27 of 72
    melgrossmelgross Posts: 33,510member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by Ireland View Post

Meh, unless he's demoing a tablet I don't want him back

I was thinking about you the other day when writing about all those 10" screens Apple is supposed to be getting.
  • Reply 28 of 72
    Anyone here can die after a short battle with cancer. Steve on the other hand got help in time, was lucky to recover, but nobody on this planet will tell you, prematurely, that SJ had, say thyroid cancer, or not.

SJ is not public property so please, give the man a little well deserved respect. Get well Steve!
  • Reply 29 of 72
    rommelrommel Posts: 3member
    I think these past few months have been valuable for Apple. Charismatic, visionary leaders often run companies by their sheer personality. The real test is how well Apple can innovate and deliver without such a leader. Is Apple's identity wrapped up in Steve's or can they stand on their own?

I like Steve, but I am concerned for companies that are built on these types of leaders. It's very unlikely that subsequent CEO's are going to be as popular, eloquent, or creative.
  • Reply 30 of 72
    sflocalsflocal Posts: 6,095member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by emulator View Post

woz is a joke, nobody listens to him anymore.

Riight... Let's compare his life work to-date to yours. I'll bet money you'll get on your knees and start apologizing.

Is your life that pathetic that you have to put people down just to make your sorry life look better?
  • Reply 31 of 72
    fast fred 1fast fred 1 Posts: 294member
    Let's see the market is down $173.00 Apple stock is up $2.27.

Exactly what change in business model are you referring too?
  • Reply 32 of 72
    mj webmj web Posts: 918member
  • Reply 33 of 72
    steviet02steviet02 Posts: 594member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by sflocal View Post

Riight... Let's compare his life work to-date to yours. I'll bet money you'll get on your knees and start apologizing.

Is your life that pathetic that you have to put people down just to make your sorry life look better?

What exactly is his life work you speak of?
  • Reply 34 of 72
    melgrossmelgross Posts: 33,510member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by steviet02 View Post

What exactly is his life work you speak of?

You have to admit that even if it were "only" co-founder of Apple inc. it would be pretty good.
  • Reply 35 of 72
    anantksundaramanantksundaram Posts: 20,404member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by melgross View Post

You have to admit that even if it were "only" co-founder of Apple inc. it would be pretty good.

Seconded.
  • Reply 36 of 72
    Hope you are a lot better, Steve.
  • Reply 37 of 72
    steviet02steviet02 Posts: 594member
    Quote:

I don't know, I think thats a stretch to say that s 'lifes work', a little over blown IMO.
  • Reply 38 of 72
    hypermarkhypermark Posts: 152member
    Who knows whether Jobs is going to return and in what role (my guess is a wind down from CEO by end of year), but I will say this.

At a time when we struggle to find inspiring products, companies and leaders, Apple is not just a good marketing story or the cult of one guy (Steve Jobs); they are a breakout successful business who, win, lose or draw, have to be respected for (consistently) swinging for the fences.

Their performance in a crappy recession, coupled with a decision to remain on offense, speaks volumes about their still vibrant DNA, something I blogged about in:

Apple is a Great American Company Worth Celebrating

http://bit.ly/lGqRS

Net-net: Fingers-crossed that whatever personal outcome SJ aspires to, the gods can carry him aloft.

Check out the post if interested.

Cheers,

Mark
  • Reply 39 of 72
    brucepbrucep Posts: 2,823member
    Quote:

they both are fine people

hey steve jobs .. if your reading this ..get well soon dude

peace

• Reply 40 of 72
    tbelltbell Posts: 3,146member
    I suspect Jobs is already into philanthropy. What he probably isn't into is commenting on his gifts. The guy likes his privacy.

Quote:
    Originally Posted by anantksundaram View Post

Hope he lives and prospers for decades longer!

(Even more than Apple, I'd like to see what he does with his wealth: someone like him is likely to redefine the giving/philanthropy business as well, and I'd be really curious to see him address that business model).