Apple updates white MacBook with faster processor and memory

124»

Comments

• Reply 61 of 77
    tzikehtzikeh Posts: 1member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by hillstones View Post

It is not a widespread problem.... Pieces don't just fall off. The complaints that you found, are from people that don't know how to take care of things....

Wrong. Apple admits to the problems with cracking and chipping polycarbonate MacBooks.
  • Reply 62 of 77
    bosmanbosman Posts: 23member
    Maybe this has been covered but wouldn't screen touch commands require a more durable glass surface to operate and isn't it rumored to be built in to the next Mac OS? Why would apple push touch on their customers and not provide the means? I believe that may be why they don't do matte screens...
  • Reply 63 of 77
    greglogreglo Posts: 63member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by hillstones View Post

Macworld just published a survey...more people preferred the glossy screen.

And?

That suddenly makes them better? Or that I'm inferior for not wanting one?

If you live your life based on what other people want/like, then you are a truly deluded and future-less fool.
  • Reply 64 of 77
    solipsismsolipsism Posts: 25,726member
    This surprise update give a little credence to the previous rumours of the 13? aluminum MacBook going Pro (with more advanced HW, of course), but we?d also need a 15? plastic MacBook to go along with it. I think having a $1,299 15? non-pro MacBook would be a very good thing for Apple?s bottom line.

Quote:
    Originally Posted by Hudson1 View Post

Wait a minute.... There had to be 50 posts on this message board where posters claimed that it was physically impossible (in their estimation) to add Firewire to the unibody MacBooks.

Under the current design, yes. If Apple replaces the HDD and Battery panel with a screwed-on panel like in the 17? MBP then there will be a way for Apple to add at least one additional port to the left side and increase the battery capacity while maintaining their aesthetic goals.
  • Reply 65 of 77
    xwiredtvaxwiredtva Posts: 389member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by Jingo View Post

I still treasure my 2.4GHz MacBook purchased well over a year ago now. Irrespective of the upgraded graphics and bus speed, Apple really are short-changing us on processor speed. The lowest speed now available should be something in the order of 2.6GHz, IMHO.

CPU Frequency is just a clock speed, NOT the actual amount of calculations being done. This is why a current 2.16ghz CPU (this WMB as the case) can perform more than 4x's the amount of calculations as a dual G5 2.5ghz cpu.

Those who purchase a computer based on "GHZ" really are making the worst and most common mistake. You really need to look at the WHOLE package. Without going geek on ya, check the benchmarks on the system. Look at the bus speed (the speed at which everything in the computer actually communicates with the other pieces) and then take into account the $/P ratio (that's dollar over performance). This is where the "Apple Tax" turns into an "Apple Stimulus" due to the extra added values of not only bleeding edge computer hardware but also an OS that works brilliantly, integrated applications (iLife, iCal, iTunes, Mail, etc, etc) that all talk to each other and work seamlessly. Last the cost of security on not only the computer but your financial life.

So while 2.66ghz sounds great, Apple is not in control of this and chooses the CPU's based on their abilities to provide a cost effective performance machine. Some CPU's Intel make are not compatible with Apple's hardware structure. Also keep in mind NO OTHER LAPTOP can match the MacBook's battery life, wireless range and combined features. CPU choice comes into play more than we really think about and much credit to those engineers at Apple for their choice choices.
  • Reply 66 of 77
    pbpb Posts: 4,255member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by xwiredtva View Post

CPU Frequency is just a clock speed, NOT the actual amount of calculations being done. This is why a current 2.16ghz CPU (this WMB as the case) can perform more than 4x's the amount of calculations as a dual G5 2.5ghz cpu.

If you are trying to compare different architectures, then yes, CPU frequency alone cannot tell much. But within the same architecture and CPU family, performance scales almost linearly with the CPU clock speed.
  • Reply 67 of 77
    a_hnaua_hnau Posts: 26member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by a_hnau View Post

Boo! UK store site not updated...

Unusually Apple seem to have done this a bit messily; for a while this morning, the store site had the new product and price, but the link to "New Macbook White" went to the old product description. I suppose they didn't want to take the site down altogether to just make one product change, but it's not their usual 'slickness'
  • Reply 68 of 77
    rokkenrokken Posts: 236member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by greglo View Post

And?

That suddenly makes them better? Or that I'm inferior for not wanting one?

If you live your life based on what other people want/like, then you are a truly deluded and future-less fool.

His point is since more buyers prefer the glossy screen, Apple opts for the glossy screen IMO. It doesn't make business sense when you build something the majority don't buy into it. The same can probably speak for Firewire as well. Other than minority professionals, I wonder how many ordinary people even know what Firewire is, not to mention make use of it.
  • Reply 69 of 77
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by Flounder View Post

No Problem! I have a MBP myself that will be two years old in July. What brand of HD did you get? I'm thinking about upgrading to a 320 Gb, 7200 rpm drive later this summer.

Apologies to everyone else for the off-topic post.

Sorry to jump in.... Western Digital Black used to be #1 in speed and reliability. Seagate 7200.4 is now king of speed, whopping 25% faster than WD Black! Having run both in a MBP, the Black was good and you noticed the diff. Installed the 7200.4 and HOLY COW! It's like using an iMac in terms of speed. BUT seagate reliability has been in the tank for a while (500gb 7200.4 was just re-worked and I have the new one on it's way in-many say it's better reliability and balance is way better) and it vibrates more (see comment on new one, should fix this).

Neither add more heat or take away battery life. Hitachi's 500gb 5400rpm is almost as fast as the WD black 320. Both have a 500gb 7200rpm 2-platter driving coming next month and BOTH should be faster than the Seagate. WD Black drives are superior in both desktop and laptop drives compared to others. Desktop versions have 2 CPU's on them.

OK Back on topic... Rumors on my end are telling me MacMini MAY get the same 2.16 cpu standard with 2.26 and 2.66 option. Intel dropped the price on the cpu line to where the 2.16 is now the price of the 2.0 and the 2.26 is now priced $35 above that. 2.4 and 2.66 are priced between the 2.26 price point per 1000 3 weeks ago.

Broken plastic... Not sure what happened between CoreDuo and C2D machines but this started becoming an issue with the late 2006 models and the switch to C2D. My wife's Original CD 1.83ghz is mint and we got that 2 months after release. She's NOT EASY on it so a Speck Hard Shell was purchased after the first drop. FYI She's running a 500gb WD Blue HD and it improved her battery life by nearly 20mins and speed is way better than OEM Fujitsu.
  • Reply 70 of 77
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by PB View Post

If you are trying to compare different architectures, then yes, CPU frequency alone cannot tell much. But within the same architecture and CPU family, performance scales almost linearly with the CPU clock speed.

Correct and I mentioned that. Keep in mind this is an ENTRY level machine. Not too many business's make their entry level units outperform their best.

Even when you compare the Merom CPU to the newer models (64b/64b) at the same speed the newer models still outperform simply because the newer models have faster bus, larger cache, etc... Frequency is only the clock or timer at which bits are processed.

A good example: Imagine two Dams. One dam opens and closes it's lock 10 times a min. The other does this at 20 times a min. The one that's 20 times a min sounds faster but the total volume of water released by the first each open/close cycle is 4x's as much. So the second dam may work faster it's not doing the same amount of volume.
  • Reply 71 of 77
    mimacmimac Posts: 872member
    Alu MacBook with FireWire? :drool:

Now yer talkin!
  • Reply 72 of 77
    applebookapplebook Posts: 350member
    Nice update, too bad the LCD on this thing is like...what...4-years-old?

Even without LED, Apple could have used much higher contrast and better viewing angle versions by now.
  • Reply 73 of 77
    macxpressmacxpress Posts: 5,808member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by applebook View Post

Nice update, too bad the LCD on this thing is like...what...4-years-old?

Even without LED, Apple could have used much higher contrast and better viewing angle versions by now.

Its $999 for a reason!
  • Reply 74 of 77
    aquaticaquatic Posts: 5,602member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by MacTripper View Post

The case on the white MacBooks crack and chip.

A piece near the corner just fell off (no it wasn't dropped) on a brand new machine too.

My girlfriend isn't too pleased, being it's her first Mac.

She doesn't like the glossy screen either. (yes I mentioned a anti-glare film, she says it shouldn't be needed on a $1000 machine and why was the matte screens removed?)

I googled for macbooks crack chip and found it's a widespread problem, but it doesn't seem to be anymore widespread than any other normal defects found with products. But now I'm always on the defensive with her because of this and the glossy screen, having to teach her OS X and all on top of that.

I'm trying to convince her to take it back to Apple before too much time has passed, but she's stuck depending upon it and can't take the time to travel 300 miles back to the Apple Store.

Yes I said it could be shipped and all...

She's stuck on the Stockholm Syndrome effect. This is a sad trend for Apple products.

My advice, buy the metal case Macbooks. Better the matte screen models unless you like looking at yourself.

I have a 5* *(typo: should be 2 ) year old MacBook Pro 15" with back lit matte screen, upgraded Hitachi hard drive to 7,200 RPM, 4 GB of RAM. I'm very pleased with this Apple product and it's been a excellent running machine, especially for a laptop.

No f'ing KIDDING. Happened to mine after a few weeks. AND IT HAPPENED to my sister's, same amount of time.

REALLY chinsy. The Macbook is probably the cheapest quality computer Apple has made yet. And the edges at the front are so sharp. Real stupid design. Was John Ives taking a long crap, or on vacation in the Caribbean or something when the Macbook was designed?!

Sad part is...I really want this new Macbook. I still can't really swing an MBP. It'll be Macbook for me for a while. I have to get a new one because, well, my f'ing screen is dying. That started happening probably only a year after I had it. MB owners probably know what I'm talking about...the screen flickering. It's getting worse. I am wondering if one day it will simply not turn on. Kinda unhappy about the Macbook itself, apart from the iSight which is a great idea. The keys, ugh, everything. The Alu are ok I guess but I hate that trackpad button idea. I hope they come out with a new hardware design revision sometime for the Macbook.
  • Reply 75 of 77
    rtdunhamrtdunham Posts: 428member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by Aquatic View Post

...The Macbook is probably the cheapest quality computer Apple has made yet. And the edges at the front are so sharp. Real stupid design...

My black "polycarbonate" MB has held up just fine--it'll be three years old in two months and has been flown all over the country, driven on numerous road trips, and taken overseas. My daughter's white MB is about the same age and has had some tiny pieces of trim break loose around the edges. No biggie, and i suspect apple will fix it. But it's not impressive QC.

But you're spot-on about the sharp edges. One has to wonder whether anyone worked on the computer during testing. Shouldn't the phrase "hands on testing" mean something? Boggles the mind.
  • Reply 76 of 77
    aquaticaquatic Posts: 5,602member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by rtdunham View Post

My black "polycarbonate" MB has held up just fine--it'll be three years old in two months and has been flown all over the country, driven on numerous road trips, and taken overseas. My daughter's white MB is about the same age and has had some tiny pieces of trim break loose around the edges. No biggie, and i suspect apple will fix it. But it's not impressive QC.

But you're spot-on about the sharp edges. One has to wonder whether anyone worked on the computer during testing. Shouldn't the phrase "hands on testing" mean something? Boggles the mind.

They haven't fixed it, because it happened to my sister's which she just bought last year.

And I am glad your MB is okay. Count yourself lucky! Just anecdotaly, haven't checked too much, but from reports over the years, it does in fact seem this is one of the cheapest (in quality) Macs Apple has ever made.

Now I realized my desire for low price and quality seems hard to achieve, but perhaps they could just shave off a percent in profit or something. I'd be willing to pay literally an extra $50 to make sure my next MB was high quality. Perhaps, in fact, they QA/QCd the black MacBook better, it would make sense, after all, different case, etc.
  • Reply 77 of 77
    jlanddjlandd Posts: 873member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by Hattig View Post

Matte screens actually degrade the picture being shown, it's just that they reduce the specularity and reflectance of the display a lot, so in certain situations they're better. Glass lets light straight through without a matte diffusion on the surface.

With a hood and suitably positioned lighting, a glossy display will be very nice. For a basement dweller who sits in the dark, similar. Nasty if you want to work on the train, in a pub/cafe, typical office with sunlight and strip lights and loud shirts...

In other words, most of the places I'd be using my laptop. Don't know about you, but I see lots of people carrying laptops and no one carrying the necessary hood in the subway.

Simply put, I can use my matte MBP outdoors which I couldn't do with my previous glossy one. And for every "suitably positioned lighting" space I'm in there's another that's not. If I wanted to be so restricted I'd have gotten a desktop for my suitably lighted, hooded desk. : )