Been pondering the rumor about the backlight Apple logo...

Posted:
in iPhone edited January 2014
Been pondering the rumor about the backlight Apple logo. I laughed out loud at the idea and then it started making sense...

1) The iPhone has no status lights, so if your iPhone is on mute (and the screen is dim) you may not have a way to quickly see if you have any missed calls or voice mails. A blinking or pulsing Apple logo would clue you in. The Apple logo could also convey other messages based on other tasks and situations that Apple deemed appropriate.

2) The iPhone has no flash for its camera. We now know that the next gen iPhone will have a 3.2 mp camera with auto-focus. Why not add a flash? Of course a 2nd hole on the back would look gaudy and lame right? What if the Apple logo IS THE FLASH. Pretty cool to see bright white Apples lighting up the crowd at a concert etc.

3) If Apple plans on have a better battery or longer batter life and decides to go with a OLED screen, the power savings MIGHT justify the illuminated Apple logo. Use ambient light, etc.

4) The option to illuminate the Apple logo could be disabled with software

5) Apple already has a backlit logo on all of its laptops. Been doing this for 10 years + with the PowerBook G3s.

6) Lots of phones look like the iPhone now. One cleaver way to differentiate the next gen iPhone from the posers is to have the Apple logo itself LIGHT UP. Wont confuse THAT kind of identity with a Palm Pre. Hard for competitors to rip that off without looking too obvious.

Discuss...

Comments

• Reply 1 of 3
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by dstranathan View Post

...5) Apple already has a backlit logo on all of its laptops. Been doing this for 10 years + with the PowerBook G3s....

Because the light is already there... it's illuminated by the screen's backlight. No extra energy consumed.

With the phone, there's a bunch of electronics/battery between the screen and the back... it would require a separate light source... and therefore additional drain on the battery.

ANY unnecessary drain on the battery is a bad idea... no matter how small.

Status light?... the phones in my pocket, i couldn't see it as a status light anyway... and if I take the phone out of my pocket, it's not any more difficult to hit one of the buttons and check the status on-screen. (No swipe required for status messages... like missed calls and such.)
  • Reply 2 of 3
    dstranathandstranathan Posts: 1,717member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by KingOfSomewhereHot View Post

Because the light is already there... it's illuminated by the screen's backlight. No extra energy consumed.

With the phone, there's a bunch of electronics/battery between the screen and the back... it would require a separate light source... and therefore additional drain on the battery.

ANY unnecessary drain on the battery is a bad idea... no matter how small.

Status light?... the phones in my pocket, i couldn't see it as a status light anyway... and if I take the phone out of my pocket, it's not any more difficult to hit one of the buttons and check the status on-screen. (No swipe required for status messages... like missed calls and such.)

Totally agree with both points. I personally know people who think the lacking status light is a flaw. We all know how Apple feels about Ethernet NIC status lights - LOL (except for the Xserve of course).

My iPhone isnt always in my pocket - sometimes its on a table or counter somewhere.
  • Reply 3 of 3
    MarvinMarvin Posts: 15,323moderator
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by dstranathan View Post

BWhat if the Apple logo IS THE FLASH. Pretty cool to see bright white Apples lighting up the crowd at a concert etc.

I like the sound of this. I think one area the iphone camera is very lacking is in low light conditions but adding a square Flash would look odd. The Apple logo makes sense. As a status indicator, I'm not sure. If I'm looking at the phone anyway, pushing the home button isn't a huge problem and they can show per-app notifications on the unlock screen.