iPhone rumored to get wireless movie, TV downloads

124»

Comments

• Reply 61 of 67
    cbw87cbw87 Posts: 36member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by wilco View Post

20 out of the 30 headlines on the homepage have to do with iPhones. Pull your head out of your ass.

Perhaps you misunderstood me, I was simply noting that a small number of articles (on any Apple-related subject) are posted every day, so to filter out iPhone-related articles (whatever percentage they may constitute) from the small selection of total articles posted each day should not prove too great a challenge.

To make it perfectly clear, consider the list below:

32GB iPhone listed as AT&T trade-in; Rogers in launch prep?

iPhone rumored to get wireless movie, TV downloads

Former Apple engineers at OQO call it quits

AT&T also running dry of iPhones, offering refurbs [U]

iPhone 3G discontinued in Oz as report backs third-gen rumors

Apple said to have settled on supplier for tablet display

Surely it's not that hard to discern the two non-iPhone stories from that list, and to avoid reading the others? Why does AI owe you a duty to filter that for you? All the stories are, as mentioned above, Apple-related.

I'd politely suggest that you consider your own position before telling me to pull my head out my ass.
  • Reply 62 of 67
    brucepbrucep Posts: 2,823member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by hiimamac View Post

Wow. Shocker. Again, this is why the iPhone will never live up to it's full potential. Instead if making the iPhone have the ability to view the thousands if free movies and tv shows, lame YouTube doesn't count, instead Apple wants to charge us for rentals.

hello

can the Iphone stream hulu ??

the war over content is almost over .its gonna be free. with a couple of ads thrown in .
  • Reply 63 of 67
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by piot View Post

Sorry I don't understand what you are saying. What's "spring"?

So I guess what you are trying to say is that the iPhone can't play Flash content.

Which phones can?

How do these phones cope with streaming video files? (Flash likes the fans on my MacBook!)

he named his phone spring
  • Reply 64 of 67
    solipsismsolipsism Posts: 25,726member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by brucep View Post

hello

can the Iphone stream hulu ??

the war over content is almost over .its gonna be free. with a couple of ads thrown in .

It can?t. Most video streaming sites require Adobe Flash v8 or higher to stream video. Adobe has not seen fit to make a viable version of Flash for the iPhone or Palm Pre at this point. Other platforms have Flash Lite, which is a watered down version of Flash v7 but I don?t think they can stream from most of the more popular sites, like Hulu.

CBS has made an iPhone app, but the quality is so poor, even on the iPhone?s small screen that it?s pointless to use. I expect Hulu to release an iPhone app soon as they are getting their advertising regardless, but I imagine it will require them to set up a new back end to accommodate the change, which may be the reason for the delay. I suspect it won?t be long with YouTube, already on the device, is already moving to include TV Shows and Movies with the rest of their user-uploaded videos. I?d rather watch via Hulu without having to filter through the other crap.

Other phones have streaming TV apps from the carriers and it?s rumored that AT&T will offer U-verse TV for the iPhone. It?s entirely IP based and uses H.264 so it?s quite possible and they?d do well to offer it as soon as they can.
  • Reply 65 of 67
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by solipsism View Post

It can’t. Most video streaming sites require Adobe Flash v8 or higher to stream video. Adobe has not seen fit to make a viable version of Flash for the iPhone or Palm Pre at this point. Other platforms have Flash Lite, which is a watered down version of Flash v7 but I don’t think they can stream from most of the more popular sites, like Hulu.

CBS has made an iPhone app, but the quality is so poor, even on the iPhone’s small screen that it’s pointless to use. I expect Hulu to release an iPhone app soon as they are getting their advertising regardless, but I imagine it will require them to set up a new back end to accommodate the change, which may be the reason for the delay. I suspect it won’t be long with YouTube, already on the device, is already moving to include TV Shows and Movies with the rest of their user-uploaded videos. I’d rather watch via Hulu without having to filter through the other crap.

Other phones have streaming TV apps from the carriers and it’s rumored that AT&T will offer U-verse TV for the iPhone. It’s entirely IP based and uses H.264 so it’s quite possible and they’d do well to offer it as soon as they can.

Thank you for timely info.

I wish that when we hulu the whole show could

DL on my hard drive. Just for one time viewing and then it would self delete.

Then say i was part way thru that new show <king> i could watch the rest on the ferry and subway.

i have already tried the verizon laptop 780 card.It sucked. Maybe MIFI would be able to stream hulu or live cnn .

On my black 13in MB the screen looks great with the hulu player . BUT the ABC player is fantastic.

peace

• Reply 66 of 67
    carniphagecarniphage Posts: 1,984member
    Observation Number One:

Apple have an online store, to sell Movies and TV content.

Observation Number Two:

Watching movies is best done on a TV

Observation Number Three:

The AppleTV has not sold as many units as the iPhone.

Observation Number Four:

The current iPhone can be connected up to a TV.

Conclusion:

If the new iPhone and iPod could incorporate the core functionality the AppleTV, then more people might buy the new HDMI Media Dock and buy more Apple Movies.

C.
  • Reply 67 of 67
    djames42djames42 Posts: 298member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by Carniphage View Post

Conclusion:

If the new iPhone and iPod could incorporate the core functionality the AppleTV, then more people might buy the new HDMI Media Dock and buy more Apple Movies.

Perhaps, but you know what? I bought the video cable for my iPod (which works with both my Classic and my iPhone) and while I have used it to watch video when I travel, I never really found it a particularly convenient way to watch content at home. Then I bought an AppleTV and it very quickly became the most used device in my home entertainment system. It'd certainly be even more convenient if it supported more formats (although I do use Boxee for watching SD-DivX content), but otherwise it's the perfect device for allowing me to eliminate all but the most limited basic service from Comcast...

Point is, I'm not sure how many people would use an HDMI media dock to play content from their iDevice - not unless they seriously bump up the storage capability (my AppleTV has 160gb and can stream media from my 1TB drive upstairs).