Early glimpse at Zune HD: "better" than iPod touch

Comments

• Reply 21 of 268
    hmurchisonhmurchison Posts: 12,419member
    Funny how our expectations are so low that when we see a product from Microsoft that isn't a train wreck we don't always know how to take it.

As nice as the Zune is the iPod Touch/App store combo is near unbeatable for my needs.
  • Reply 22 of 268
    italiankiditaliankid Posts: 279member
    Let this be known...

I saw the VIDEO and I was super impressed.

Microsoft if you are listening... Add a phone to this and you got yourself a winner.

The screen is drop dead gorgeous.

FLUID MOVEMENT!

the switching from portrait to landscape was fast - wow...

THIS IS A BEAUTY!

If this had a phone feature it would kill the iPhone iMO!
  • Reply 23 of 268
    christopher126christopher126 Posts: 4,366member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by Jerseymac View Post

Does this Zune recognize leap year?

• Reply 24 of 268
    btitusjrbtitusjr Posts: 53member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by macFanDave View Post

It doesn't matter because 2008 is past and the world is going to end in 2012 (you know the Mayan calendar ends that year!)

Wrong, this is what happens when you believe everything you see on tv and dont do the research yourself.

The Mayan calendar does not really "end" in 2012, but rather, all the cycles turn over and start again, vibrating to a new era.
  • Reply 25 of 268
    tjstjs Posts: 31member
    Can I get it in Brown??
  • Reply 26 of 268
    gregoriusmgregoriusm Posts: 513member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by tjs View Post

Can I get it in Brown??

Zune you will!
  • Reply 27 of 268
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by Robin Huber View Post

Screws on the back? Maybe the memory is held in place by nails.

Microsoft is with music/video players where Apple was with computers before the iMac. A niche player nibbling at the edges of a competitor who got marketshare early on. Apple eventually triumphed through creativity and quality, and by introducing new product categories (iPods and iPnone), though it has yet to dethrone M/S PCs in marketshare. Maybe M/S can do the same thing by keeping the Zune brand alive long enough to come up with some truly revolutionary new product line that can leverage its huge PC base.

But I doubt it.

I rather have screws than LIGHT LEAKS ON 80% OF iPhones because the gasket are not thick enough between the silver bezel and glass LOL!!!

I wont see the screws on back... YOU SURELY see the light leaks on an iPhone. LOL
  • Reply 28 of 268
    kfurykfury Posts: 14member
    The people I know who have iPod Touches use it for their email, web browsing, and games in addition to the basic music and video duties. Kudos to Microsoft for making a tactile media player, but in what way does it even compete with the functionality provided by the App store?
  • Reply 29 of 268
    mactelmactel Posts: 1,275member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by Guartho View Post

While it's fun to point and laugh at MS products, it's good that they put something good out once in awhile. I eagerly await Apple's answer to this challenger.

Me too. I wonder what good all of Apple's multi-touch gestures did them as MS seems to have stolen all of them.

The UI actually looks kind of clunky, but usable. The physical device is ok enough for people to not really care about so much. It's really not a better looking product but they don't have to necessarily be better. In other words, cheaper goes a long way.
  • Reply 30 of 268
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by MacTripper View Post

We know why Microsoft released news of the Zune HD at this time.

It's to capture ANY buzz it can get before it gets crushed by what Apple has to offer very shortly.

Am I right or what? You know I am.

Of course you are right. Its the same reason for the big Palm Pre artical(?) last week. They are all trying to get some buzz before the intro of the new iPhone because they'll be buried in the new iPhone media coverage avalanche.
  • Reply 31 of 268
    The interface is too busy for my tastes. Much like Vista, it's meant to look flashy and edgy, but doesn't look all that usable in the long run. The weird fonts on the menu, while eye catching, would get pretty old after a short time.

That said, I hope the OLED screens catch on and come down in price.
  • Reply 32 of 268
    Quote:

That was one problem... Talk about OS 2.0 release - total mess...

iPhone 2.2 should have 2.0 in everyones eye!

Its a glitch. Apple is not prone to them either. They had there fair share in 2008... MobileMe was a classic!
  • Reply 33 of 268
    jpellinojpellino Posts: 697member
    Are those tri-wing screws? If so it means a user-replaceable battery, as long as you have the special screwdriver. But... screws?

And I love the sell job on the photos "...so you really get Hi-Def there..." Yeah - 4x3 photos on a 2" screen, asymmetrically pillarboxed and all.
  • Reply 34 of 268
    luisdiasluisdias Posts: 277member
    The part where he rotates the Zune, while it is listing musics, and nothing happens, and then he rotates back is funny. Any iPod would bring CoverFlow, so perhaps that was in his mind .

The GUI seems simplistic and wrong. Those huge letters, I don't like them.

But it looks professional. The effect of rotating around the left side is nice.

A pity though that it doesn't show games, or other apps. Right now it shows that it can barely do what an iPod nano can do. And that ain't a lot.

But they still have time till the fall. They're aiming at the christmas. Wait and see, like the brits say.
  • Reply 35 of 268
    mosxmosx Posts: 26member
    "Also, it's deemed unlikely that Microsoft will ever have the app support Apple can claim for its iPod. "

Honestly, who cares? All but a couple dozen apps in the App Store are junk anyway. The last thing the Zune, iPod touch, or iPhone needs is a million fart apps, 99c games that are good for nothing other than saying "okay thats amusing", and all of the other useless junk currently in the App Store.

Pandora, Palringo, Skype, and a couple of games are all thats worth currently downloading or buying in the App Store. On my iPhone thats basically all I have. Nothing else is worth my time, money, or bandwidth.

So who really cares if the Zune never gets that kind of support?

However, MS has said this will integrate with the Xbox360. So far, the rumors have been spot on about this device.

If they continue to be true, such as it being NVIDA Tegra based (and the ability to output 720p supports this rumor), the Zune HD's gaming abilities will be far beyond what the iPhone and iPod touch can currently do.

Of course, the Zune HD has two things the iPhone and iPod touch will probably never have: wireless syncing and the ability to stream music over WiFi if you're a Zune Pass subscriber. Come on Apple, it's about time you give us the ability to pay a low monthly fee and get all the music we want!
  • Reply 36 of 268
    Quote:

Yeah, but MS hasn't fix the Zune for the Y2K bug.
  • Reply 37 of 268
    chris_cachris_ca Posts: 2,543member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by Woggledog View Post

However, I love how the reviewer mentions the HD screen

Where is an HD screen mentioned?
  • Reply 38 of 268
    eaieai Posts: 417member
    I'd say the accelerometer 'lag' is intentional to make sure you're actually intending to rotate the device, perhaps not though. Either way, Apple have plenty of time to counter the Zune if they wish...
  • Reply 39 of 268
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by mosx View Post

Of course, the Zune HD has two things the iPhone and iPod touch will probably never have: wireless syncing and the ability to stream music over WiFi if you're a Zune Pass subscriber. Come on Apple, it's about time you give us the ability to pay a low monthly fee and get all the music we want!

Yeah, cause all those subscription sites have really taken off. Amazon has taken a bigger share away from iTunes than all the subscription music-rental services combined.

And one of those useless apps, Simplify, allows me to stream music over WiFi and 3G from my main computer. So they are not all fart apps.
  • Reply 40 of 268
    quadra 610quadra 610 Posts: 6,757member
    All fun and games for MS . . . until the next iPod Touch refresh, and it'll be a bloodbath all over again. Hell, the iPhone's already pushing most non-phone media players into obsolescence.