Early glimpse at Zune HD: "better" than iPod touch

Comments

• Reply 121 of 268
    vl-tonevl-tone Posts: 337member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by mosx View Post

Windows CE 5 in 2004 brought Direct3D, DirectDraw, and DirectShow. DirectShow is neat because it does things that even OS X still doesn't do. Like full hardware support for video playback, rather than putting it all on the CPU like OS X

While only the latest MacBooks support built in hardware accelerated video playing, the iPhone and iPod touch used the GPU to play video since their release.

Do you seriously think that the iPod touch can achieve 6 hours of video playback using only the CPU?

And while we'll have to wait until Snow Leopard to get wider support for hardware accelerated video in Macs, OS X was offloading imaging/graphics processes to the GPU way before Windows.
  • Reply 122 of 268
    lostkiwilostkiwi Posts: 639member
    Guys, this says more about the poor state of Gizmodo more than anything positive about Microsoft.

You all know that the Zune brand is a major sponsor of Giz now...right?

It seemed to happen just before the last Snowmodo (Giz Ski Meetup). Zune crap everywhere, and now every second story there is nitpicking a percieved flaw in Apple or trumpeting how hip, cool and wonderful Microsotft in general and Zune in particular is.

How can a blog objectively review a product that is an active sponsor??

It is very sad.
  • Reply 123 of 268
    tawilsontawilson Posts: 484member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by acslater017 View Post

Some Zune competition will be great for Apple/iPod. This makes me even more excited for WWDC

Zune will never be competition for the iPod as long as it remains US only, sorry but there is a WORLD outside of the good old US of A.

As for being excited about the WWDC, I wouldn't hold your breath...it's a developer oriented event, not consumers.
  • Reply 124 of 268
    tt92618tt92618 Posts: 444member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by tawilson View Post

As for being excited about the WWDC, I wouldn't hold your breath...it's a developer oriented event, not consumers.

iPhone 3G was introduced at WWDC 08, and given Apple's snubbing of events like MacWorld, it seems to me that events like WWDC are more likely to be the venues for product announcements. Apple has been busily preparing OS 3.0, vendors are reporting that the pipeline for 3g iPhones is running dry... do the math here; new devices are coming.
  • Reply 125 of 268
    doxxicdoxxic Posts: 100member
    I think the Zune can only be substantially better if the available 3rd party software is better, but that will be very unlikely if they don't sell the Zune outside the US.

Microsoft should know that really well - it makes me wonder what they're actually up to with the Zune.
  • Reply 126 of 268
    tt92618tt92618 Posts: 444member
    Quote:

Oh please, that is completely not true. When I got my first Mac a little over 2 years ago, it was the FIRST TIME I had seen a system hard lock (completely crash) since the 1990s. Up until 10.5.5 (and all revisions of Tiger that I used), OS X crashing was a very regular thing that happened once every so often. I've never seen Vista or XP completely lock up in a manner where the entire system goes down.

A lot of what I've been seeing you say, here, has a kind of distortion and inaccuracy to it that makes me want to consider you a troll. I own macs and PC's. In my house I have an iMac, I have a windows server 2003 box, a vista box, several XP boxes, several laptops running various permutations of windows... I have a plethora of virtual machines as well running different versions of windows... and I cannot even fathom where you are coming from, here.

Of all of the machines I have, the Mac is by far the most stable and the most performant. I have an HP xw4400 workstation that sold for considerably more than my silver iMac (base model), but I get performance running windows vista on the iMac in a VM that is nearly indistinguishable from the workstation, and the MacOS remains responsive as well.

I've had much better experiences with MacOSX than with any of the PC's.
  • Reply 127 of 268
    tawilsontawilson Posts: 484member
    Quote:

Re: Less Features - How do you know this? The Zune HD has 720p video output. I don't see the iPod touch doing that.

Wow, one feature the Zune has over the iPod Touch versus the 30 or so it doesn't have.

Quote:

Because mobile Safari is so good? I'm running unmodified iPhone OS 2.2.1 on my first generation iPhone and not a day goes by where mobile Safari doesn't crash multiple times.

But mostly that's because web sites are very resource intensive (being designed for the desktop) and those are resources a mobile device just doesn't have.

Quote:

You know, it's funny how Apple fans feel so threatened by this product.

On the contrary, this new Zune isn't going to put the slightest dent in iPod sales, as it's a US only device, with a large number of US only features (such as HD radio).

Quote:

And to those who say Vista failed.... How about we say Vista failed when OS X reaches that 300+ million user mark, like Vista?

How about we celebrate when OS X finally reaches the 50 million mark! Only 950 million to go to catch up to XP!

Sorry, but Vista was a failure, it is hated worldwide, and hardly anyone actually wants the OS, they invariably stay with XP or downgrade to XP. Not a picture of success.
  • Reply 128 of 268
    revsrevs Posts: 93member
    The Zune hD looks very nice! Whether its "better" than an iPod Touch or any other product, well thats personal opinion.

What I love is that the Zune HD, Palm Pre and Android Phones are really going to make Apple step it up a notch! So win for consumers!
  • Reply 129 of 268
    cycomikocycomiko Posts: 716member
    [QUOTE=bugsnw;1423451]
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by malax View Post

How many times does the use have to repeat a gesture it didn't work the first time? At least 4 time, probably more.

It appeared to be about as useless as recognising input as my touch...

The rotate appears more sensitive, but that would probably be more annoying than my touch which either doesnt rotate when I want it to - like when I want coverflow to show - or starts to rotate when i dont want it to - like when I want to use the normal input and it flick into coverflow - or when i am reading doc's with files lite and it doesnt want to rotate the file to a better position.

But tapping inputs multiple times is pretty much a routine thing for me - it may be my fat fingers
  • Reply 130 of 268
    asciiascii Posts: 5,936member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by desarc View Post

ohh, BTW, neither this nor the pre use multi touch. there is no infringement. it's all touch and swipe one finger gestures. no pinch, twist, etc. apple couldn't patent everything. [that's a good thing btw].

Yes - I was watching for that also. In the video all the gestures he does are single-touch.
  • Reply 131 of 268
    aglaeaaglaea Posts: 17member
    From what I see on the video it looks like a responsive device. As I'm a Mac user I don't have to be interested in it when it's Windoze only. That aside I see a useful product for people who like the syle of the player and its UI. I see parts of the UI that appear simple and so easy to use. The partly out-of-screen titles to me are impractical way of trying to be arty.

What I noticed when he was sliding through the photos was the black area on the side, so the device seems to be designed for wide-screen video. For me these devices are still too small for that when having to watch more than 2-4 minutes or something that has lots of detail and dialog.

My opinion is that the UI is not superior to that of the iPhone, I can't speak for the iPod Touch as fas as where it's different from an iPhone. Still it's a matter of taste. For me the iPhone's icon menu could have had a stylish option, e.g. in limited colour scheme with metal tints. The Zune's responsiveness looks good, which I feel is important and where my iPhone 3G starts to have hang-ups sometimes. It can be a good competitor for iPods for those who own Windows and where Microsoft will sell it. I just hope that people won't sway over to it so massively as they did with Internet Explorer. But then I don't see Microsoft give away free Zunes with every machine that has Windows...
  • Reply 132 of 268
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by lostkiwi View Post

Guys, this says more about the poor state of Gizmodo more than anything positive about Microsoft.

You all know that the Zune brand is a major sponsor of Giz now...right?

It seemed to happen just before the last Snowmodo (Giz Ski Meetup). Zune crap everywhere, and now every second story there is nitpicking a percieved flaw in Apple or trumpeting how hip, cool and wonderful Microsotft in general and Zune in particular is.

How can a blog objectively review a product that is an active sponsor??

It is very sad.

like the way they talk up how wonderful Macbooks were after all of their staff recieved their fancy Macbooks?
  • Reply 133 of 268
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by tt92618 View Post

I've had much better experiences with MacOSX than with any of the PC's.

so your experience of something means that somebody elses experiences must all be false and they must be trolling?
  • Reply 134 of 268
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by tawilson View Post

Sorry, but Vista was a failure, it is hated worldwide, and hardly anyone actually wants the OS, they invariably stay with XP or downgrade to XP. Not a picture of success.

ahh, the voice of rationality,

wait, thats not hte right word

insane bablings of the FUDite

thats more like it.
  • Reply 135 of 268
    allblueallblue Posts: 393member
    I'm sure I'm not the only one to notice that since the first 'Lauren' ad aired the nature of this forum has changed somewhat. The Microsoft campaign appears to have unearthed a host of 'long-time Apple users' who apparently hate their products along with Apple's 'monopolistic practises'. Fortunately relief is at hand for these poor benighted souls as Windows 7 will fix the economy, end world hunger and even make a decent cup of tea. Now we have the Zune 'HD' ('It's just the name of the shop, love' - fifty bonus points to anyone who gets that reference!) which is 'better than the Touch'. This is an interesting philosophical concept, namely 'something that doesn't exist is better than something that does'. In fact it is an even more abstract notion in this context as we all know that iPhone/Touch 3, of which we know nothing, is imminent so we get 'something that doesn't exist is better than something else that doesn't exist'. It's all a bit much for me.

A thought on the Gizunedo review: "The device is tighter..." Tighter? What did he do, shove it up his arse? Are they doing it in brown?
  • Reply 136 of 268
    brucepbrucep Posts: 2,823member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by cycomiko View Post

like the way they talk up how wonderful Macbooks were after all of their staff recieved their fancy Macbooks?

i own a mac book it is wonderful. 2 yrs plus, being used 8 to 10 hrs a day. Every day.

I Run a 400 k biz on it . And w/my 500g hard drive. Me and my kids play games [[doesn't play COD4 ]]S ometimes all weekend.

We do as a family imovie,photo and we even rent movie's from iyunes and play it thru to our 1080p TV and the picture quality is excellant,andit syncs up with my TV. Takes 3 seconds, Plug and play fast.

For all the MS assholes here on this thread every mac product works as good as my mac book. You M,S TROLLS idiots always preface your comments with a << while as a mac owner... whine whine whine >>

We all hope zune is a success . We are American's who thrive on open markets .

ok ok I have a question ?? Has anyone ever seen a ZUNE accessory ???
  • Reply 137 of 268
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by revs View Post

The Zune hD looks very nice! Whether its "better" than an iPod Touch or any other product, well thats personal opinion.

What I love is that the Zune HD, Palm Pre and Android Phones are really going to make Apple step it up a notch! So win for consumers!

We have not even seen one of these products yet . so what is there to love dude . But ok lets win one for the gipper !!
  • Reply 138 of 268
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by cycomiko View Post

so your experience of something means that somebody elses experiences must all be false and they must be trolling?

Yes that idiot was a troll . And you ARE starting to sound like one too .

Of course apple products are not all perfect but all these heart rendering apple disaster stories are and is pure bull shit . If your apple product fails in any way bring it to a genius bar . They will most times fix it . Try doing that with any other product in the world .

Again apple is not flawless .Apple is just very good . Its because window world products are so shit that apple looks even better .

peace

• Reply 139 of 268
    doc362doc362 Posts: 43member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by macFanDave View Post

It doesn't matter because 2008 is past and the world is going to end in 2012 (you know the Mayan calendar ends that year!)

Hmm.. I'm sure if we lived in the age of the Mayans we wouldn't have had a calendar that went past 2012 either :P besides.. my iphone calendar goes past 2012 so we're good.
  • Reply 140 of 268
    msanttimsantti Posts: 1,377member
    Its not bad. Clearly better than past Zunes.

But it has taken them a good while to get to this point.

In a device like this, one can only really go so far in physical design.

No better or worse than the iPOd Touch design IMO.

And Apple is not exactly done with the Touch either.