Apple briefs staff on wireless iPhone movie and TV downloads

Posted:
in iPhone edited January 2014
The iPhone 3.0 operating system release will include new support for direct downloads of movie and TV content from the iTunes Store, according to people familiar with Apple's internal training materials.

Last week, a Salon blogger covered initial reports of a new iTunes Store interface for downloading movies and TV directly on the iPhone, including support for movie rentals.

Beta testers of iPhone 3.0 can already access the new interface from a special URL.

The new interface is mostly functional, although featured content blocks were marked with F.P.O (for positioning only) placeholder art and all attempts to download any video content return the error "the item you've requested is not available."

Now however, AppleInsider has learned from people familiar with Apple's training program that new self-guided training materials being distributed to familiarize AppleCare agents with the features of iPhone 3.0 software "definitely covered" the ability to directly download movies and TV shows on the device itself, rather than just syncing video content through iTunes.

Those people noted that the advanced training was unique, saying that "Apple never puts out product training this far ahead of a product launch." This training material is roughly 6 weeks early, they said, having arrived in the form of a single training module on Tuesday.

Apple already supports direct downloads of free video podcasts within the mobile iTunes app, as well as video content from YouTube on the iPhone and iPod touch, so direct video downloads of rented or purchased videos from iTunes would be an incremental and unsurprising step over the current selection of directly downloadable music for sale within the app. It would, however, cement Apple's lead in delivering paid content to mobile users.

What isn't yet known is whether Apple will immediately enable video downloads over 3G mobile networks. The company originally limited iTunes music downloads to WiFi, and even originally called the feature the iTunes WiFi Store. That measure was likely done to gauge the demand for bandwidth that users would create.

Since then, the WiFi limitation has been removed and it is now possible to directly access iTunes music over 3G mobile networks. Apple touted mobile music downloads on the iPhone as being no more expensive than music purchased over WiFi or directly from iTunes running on a desktop computer, a direct blow to other mobile network operators and mobile content stores that charge extra fees when users try to obtain content over their mobile network.

Since videos are much larger than music files, it is likely that video and TV downloads and rentals might initially be limited to WiFi. AT&T's plans to double the speed of its American 3G network to HSPA 7.2 Mbps service and its parallel efforts to bolster its back end networks to better support mobile data demands -- specifically video steams -- may likely play into how soon iPhone users can expect to download videos from iTunes outside of a WiFi hotspot.

Comments

• Reply 1 of 35
    brucepbrucep Posts: 2,823member
    i guess the zune is back out again

hey one day on top is good
  • Reply 2 of 35
    dagamer34dagamer34 Posts: 494member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by brucep View Post

Unless you're able to start watching the movie/tv show while it's downloading, there isn't much point to this since downloading over WiFi can take forever depending on the connection you're on (and public WiFi often isn't the greatest in the first place).
  • Reply 3 of 35
    If the materials were available on Tuesday and were 6 weeks early, that means OS 3.0 won't launch until after July 7, right?
  • Reply 4 of 35
    patspats Posts: 112member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by coasterswim View Post

If the materials were available on Tuesday and were 6 weeks early, that means OS 3.0 won't launch until after July 7, right?

I think the 6 weeks means from last years launch of the Iphone 3G, which means the 3.0 software will be released sooner if they are already training on the features.
  • Reply 5 of 35
    chronsterchronster Posts: 1,894member
    Can't wait to see this in action with AT&T's upgraded network!

Quote:

Really needed to quote the entire article? lol

Quote:
    Originally Posted by dagamer34 View Post

Unless you're able to start watching the movie/tv show while it's downloading, there isn't much point to this since downloading over WiFi can take forever depending on the connection you're on (and public WiFi often isn't the greatest in the first place).

Well it might start out as something like, buy the movie, let it download overnight as you sleep, or something annoying like that, but eventually it'll get to the point where the connection speeds are fast enough to stream movies. I mean, 7mpbs has to be enough to stream a decent quality movie on the little screen. It's a start though, and that's better than nothing.
  • Reply 6 of 35
    tac22tac22 Posts: 20member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by pats View Post

I think the 6 weeks means from last years launch of the Iphone 3G, which means the 3.0 software will be released sooner if they are already training on the features.

No they said that they normaly don't get the training material this early cuz they said they know it not being released for about another 6 weeks. I don't think they need a software update to let us dowload movies cuz last week I could open up the link in iTunes to the unfinished movie section but they disabled it later... So they might be announcing it and emeidietly letting us use the feature come wwdc... And 3.0 will hopefully be releases sometime short after July 7th along with hopefully that new iphone were all so excited about
  • Reply 7 of 35
    chris_cachris_ca Posts: 2,543member
    Quote:

Nice quote of the entire article...
  • Reply 8 of 35
    lafelafe Posts: 252member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by AppleInsider View Post

The iPhone 3.0 operating system release will include new support for direct downloads of movie and TV content from the iTunes Store, according to people familiar with Apple's internal training materials.

Means nothing to me, since I'm still trapped living in EDGE-land. AT&T has

forgotten me and my region. Well, I guess maybe I could drive to the

nearest McDonalds and send a text message to AT&T to ask them if I

can use the WiFi. Then I can order some fries while I download some

video.
  • Reply 9 of 35
    tac22tac22 Posts: 20member
    I'd imagine the training manuals like 10 seconds long... More like a sticky note, what exactly do they need to know besides that you can download videos. Now???

Could it include step by step directions?

1 open itunes store

2 enter new video content section

3 download movies*

* video downloading currently restricted to wifi only
  • Reply 10 of 35
    Quote:

<<<< of note is it 7g netwok or 7mpbs network ???>>>>

Well its the new 7g AT&T NETWORK

So if get at least 5.4g power it will be blazing fast .For me the true test of what will work is.Taking the new iphone/touch and trying to stream HULU tv while in an open area, in midtown nyc . In truth after 7pm IS when the data rush is over is when you could D/L stream fast . If its wifi only i have no idea .

Would the new MIFI card work with the 7g network ??
  • Reply 11 of 35
    mr.scottmr.scott Posts: 124member
    Amazing what Apple is up to! Now if AT&T can keep up....
  • Reply 12 of 35
    tofinotofino Posts: 697member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by Lafe View Post

Means nothing to me, since I'm still trapped living in EDGE-land. AT&T has

forgotten me and my region. Well, I guess maybe I could drive to the

nearest McDonalds and send a text message to AT&T to ask them if I

can use the WiFi. Then I can order some fries while I download some

video.

does it take that long to get fries at macdonalds where you live?
  • Reply 13 of 35
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by chronster View Post

Can't wait to see this in action with AT&T's upgraded network!

Really needed to quote the entire article? lol

Well it might start out as something like, buy the movie, let it download overnight as you sleep, or something annoying like that, but eventually it'll get to the point where the connection speeds are fast enough to stream movies. I mean, 7mpbs has to be enough to stream a decent quality movie on the little screen. It's a start though, and that's better than nothing.

3.5mpbs is enough for me. I did the speed test online . I pay for 7 mpbs DSL but get 3.5mpbs . Still 24 or Heroes in hifi / full screen on hulu in the middle of the work day rocks . No ?

PEACE

• Reply 14 of 35
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by Chris_CA View Post

Nice quote of the entire article...

Really ?? thanks

i was so nervous being number one .

I guess tomorrow there will another >> tit for tat zune leak .

peace

• Reply 15 of 35
    addaboxaddabox Posts: 12,665member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by Tac22 View Post

I'd imagine the training manuals like 10 seconds long... More like a sticky note, what exactly do they need to know besides that you can download videos. Now???

1 open itunes store

3 download movies*

Reminds me of a Brian Regan routine about the instructions on a Pop Tart box:

1-- Open package.

2-- Place in toaster.

3-- Go ahead. Put it in the toaster.

4-- Hey, are you still reading this?
  • Reply 16 of 35
    teckstudteckstud Posts: 6,476member
    Too bad AT&Tt can't keep up day-and-date with Apple.

Oh Apple, why o why do you dance with such a bag of hurt?
  • Reply 17 of 35
    teckstudteckstud Posts: 6,476member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by Tac22 View Post

1 open itunes store

3 download movies*

Coming soon to an expanded Genius Bar near you.
  • Reply 18 of 35
    carniphagecarniphage Posts: 1,984member
    I think the really interesting possibility is putting the whole AppleTV interface as an application on the iPod.

Including the ability to drive an HDTV via an HDMI dock.

Suddenly instead of costing $299, the AppleTV is free with every iPod touch.

Something like that could turn the hobby into a part-time job.

C.
  • Reply 19 of 35
    nasseraenasserae Posts: 3,167member
    Quote:

iTunes and App store downloads are limited to 10MB on EDGE and 3G. I believe this will still be the case here, WiFi only.
  • Reply 20 of 35
    SpamSandwichSpamSandwich Posts: 33,407member
    Quote:

Since videos are much larger than music files, it is likely that video and TV downloads and rentals might initially be limited to WiFi. AT&T's plans to double the speed of its American 3G network to HSPA 7.2 Mbps service and its parallel efforts to bolster its back end networks to better support mobile data demands -- specifically video steams -- may likely play into how soon iPhone users can expect to download videos from iTunes outside of a WiFi hotspot.

I guess video "steams" are caused by videos coming into close contact with hotspots.