Palm stock surges on rumors of Pre heading to Verizon in 2010

13»

Comments

• Reply 41 of 47
    mechengitmechengit Posts: 133member
    It will be really sad if Palm still can't figure out that the pure touchscreen smartphone is the way to go. Palm really made itself a joke mocking iPhone's software keyboard when in reality there are tons of iPhone users that can type as fast as Blackberry users, or even faster.
  • Reply 42 of 47
    dcdttudcdttu Posts: 25member
    The iPhone is on AT&T because they have a world standard (albeit horribly implimented) network: 3G WCDMA GSM. Verizon currently runs CDMA, like Sprint and a handful of other wireless providers worldwide. Creating a CDMA iPhone would force Apple to design two hardware solutions, two software solutions and craft independent updates for independant problems for each phone. Running 3G on AT&T allows the iPhone to also run on almost every other network in the world, hardware-wise. They also have a single phone with a single software build to worry about. Brilliant.

When Verizon goes to LTE for 4G, just like AT&T and Alltel and T-Mobile, all the iPhone will need to run on any of those networks worldwide is the ability to operate at each carrier's frequency.

I may be wrong, but I don't see the iPhone on Verizon until LTE, UNLESS they have truly saturated their market here in the US, and want to keep growing. Verizon is their only option. In order to do that, they'd have to come out with a different product to not violate their non-exclusivity agreement with AT&T, wouldn't they?

Also, the Pre is an amazing phone, albeit a little shabby in the hardware department. The slider is a little loose, and the keyboard takes some getting used to. I don't think it's as bad a keyboard as it feels, as I hardly made any mistakes on it at all. Far less than I make with the iPhone, actually. I type with the iPhone faster, but make more mistakes... so it's about the same to me (and I haven't gotten enough use with the Pre to be proficient with it like I am with the iPhone).

WebOS, however, is brilliant. It multitasks like multitasking with its cards has been around for 20 years. It's very fast, never slows down, and has a better implementation of Webkit's browser than the iPhone, the G1 or Symbian. All those annoying lags every time you load your SMS or other app just aren't there if it's already running. 8GB is fine for me, I can't even fill up 5GB in my 16GB iPhone. I'm really looking forward to their App Store getting enough apps in it to be useful. I really couldn't care less about 99.9% of the apps in the iPhone's store. Most are about useless without multitasking, if not useless to begin with (iFart?). Gestures is also brilliant. Talk about a great way to unclutter the screen, yet offer power-user features. The iPhone is simple, but sometimes too simple. You have to dig into SO MANY menus just to turn WiFi or bluetooth on. Why?

I think the Pre, more specifically WebOS, is brilliant. And It's not on AT&T, which causes me to say that, on Saturday, June 6th, I will be a Pre owner.
  • Reply 43 of 47
    samabsamab Posts: 1,953member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by dcdttu View Post

The iPhone is on AT&T because they have a world standard (albeit horribly implimented) network: 3G WCDMA GSM. Verizon currently runs CDMA, like Sprint and a handful of other wireless providers worldwide. Creating a CDMA iPhone would force Apple to design two hardware solutions, two software solutions and craft independent updates for independant problems for each phone. Running 3G on AT&T allows the iPhone to also run on almost every other network in the world, hardware-wise. They also have a single phone with a single software build to worry about. Brilliant.

If Apple really wants to do it --- it doesn't require a lot of effort. Just buy a chipset that has both HSDPA and EV-DO functions.
  • Reply 44 of 47
    tenobelltenobell Posts: 7,014member
    This is a pretty premature assessment. You are giving the Pre super powers that desktop computers don't necessarily have.

The Pre will not be able to multitask with absolutely no lags, its just not possible. When you multitask on a desktop computer at some point you run out of system resources and have performance lag.

You say most of the apps in the App Store are useless, so far the developers for the Pre are the same developers for the iPhone. What apps do you expect the Pre to have that the iPhone won't have?

Its not true that most apps are useless without multitasking. With such a small screen you can only use one app at a time. The true value of multitasking is being able to have multiple apps open on the same screen.

Quote:
    Originally Posted by dcdttu View Post

WebOS, however, is brilliant. It multitasks like multitasking with its cards has been around for 20 years. It's very fast, never slows down, and has a better implementation of Webkit's browser than the iPhone, the G1 or Symbian. All those annoying lags every time you load your SMS or other app just aren't there if it's already running. 8GB is fine for me, I can't even fill up 5GB in my 16GB iPhone. I'm really looking forward to their App Store getting enough apps in it to be useful. I really couldn't care less about 99.9% of the apps in the iPhone's store. Most are about useless without multitasking, if not useless to begin with (iFart?). Gestures is also brilliant. Talk about a great way to unclutter the screen, yet offer power-user features. The iPhone is simple, but sometimes too simple. You have to dig into SO MANY menus just to turn WiFi or bluetooth on. Why?

• Reply 45 of 47
    tenobelltenobell Posts: 7,014member
    Apple doesn't care about EV-DO, I think you want to live in denial of that fact.

Quote:
    Originally Posted by samab View Post

If Apple really wants to do it --- it doesn't require a lot of effort. Just buy a chipset that has both HSDPA and EV-DO functions.

• Reply 46 of 47
    samabsamab Posts: 1,953member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by TenoBell View Post

Apple doesn't care about EV-DO, I think you want to live in denial of that fact.

I never took any position on whether Apple cares or doesn't care about EV-DO.

I just said that it's not technically the hardest thing in the world to make a TRUE world iphone with ev-do and hsdpa radios.
  • Reply 47 of 47
    guinnessguinness Posts: 473member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by mechengit View Post

It will be really sad if Palm still can't figure out that the pure touchscreen smartphone is the way to go. Palm really made itself a joke mocking iPhone's software keyboard when in reality there are tons of iPhone users that can type as fast as Blackberry users, or even faster.

I can use just about any physical phone KB without looking at it, same can't be said for my LG Dare or iPod Touch.

That, and I honestly don't care about the iPhone that much, as I don't like the current OS, nor do I want to go back to AT&T.

In N. America, it's all about the network you're on, and while I don't like being on a CDMA carrier, Verizon is better than AT&T, and T-Mobile and Sprint aren't even a factor to me, as their coverage isn't as good.

My only hope is that Verizon doesn't screw up the Pre, and Verizon the heck out of the WebOS.