10.2.1 Knowledgbase article posted

Posted:
in macOS edited January 2014
<a href="http://docs.info.apple.com/article.html?artnum=107036"; target="_blank">http://docs.info.apple.com/article.html?artnum=107036</a>;

[quote] Enhancements Delivered with this update

Disc Burning Enhancements

Improves compatibility of burned CDs with Microsoft Windows.

Addresses a situation that could result in a failure when burning a disc using iTunes 3 and a high burn speed.

Addresses an issue in which Disk Utility could inaccurately report "problems" when scanning a disc that was burned with iTunes or in the Finder.

Adds support for various third-party disc burners, including: TDK VeloCD 241032FP and 241040F, MCE Technologies Lucid-24 24x10x24x Portable FireWire CDRW Drive, LaCie PocketCDRW 24x10x24 U&I, EZQuest Boa CDR/w 48x12x48 FireWire, Formac cdrw 40x10x40 and cdrw 48x10x40.

Digital Hub and Peripheral Device Enhancements

Decreases the amount of time Final Cut Pro takes to open, and improves iMovie compatibility when a Sony DVMC-DA1 media converter is connected to the computer.

Improves iMovie compatibility with Canopus ADVC-100 media converter.

Improves compatibility with certain (SCSI-based) scanners.

Improves compatibility of Image Capture with Epson DS (TWAIN).

Improves results when scanning in grayscale or black-and-white with Image Capture and Epson UI.

Enhances reliability when hot-swapping a FireWire-based camera on certain iMacs using Final Cut Pro.

Addresses a potential issue in which a USB keyboard or mouse is not recognized or able to wake the computer after having been connected to or disconnected from an external USB hub while the computer is in sleep.

Networking and Mail Enhancements

Addresses a situation in which certain Internet service providers (ISPs) may not accept outgoing email (SMTP) from computers using NAT and a ".local" hostname (which may be assigned by Rendezvous).

Addresses a situation in which, if the connection fails when transferring email to your computer via your network or an Internet connection, all mail not transferred is lost.

Improves Mac OS X Server performance in heavy AFP client load situations.

Improves Mac OS X Server reliability when a Mac OS 9 client attempts a scheduled AFP connection.

Resolves a potential issue in which Mail could fail to import mail messages from Eudora as expected.

Printing Enhancements

Addresses a potential situation in which Print Center would unexpectedly quit when using St. Claire Software's Default Folder X.

Improves compatibility with HP LaserJet 4V and HP LaserJet 4MV printers.

Reduces occurrences of a potential "busy; source EIO (ATALK)" alert message when printing using AppleTalk via CUPS.

Addresses an issue when printing via CUPS in which the second queued print job would automatically start if the first print job was stopped.

Addresses a potential "error -1" message in Print Center when adding a third-party USB printer.

Includes various other CUPS-related printing enhancements.

Other Enhancements

Improves potential situations in which a Web page's graphics could take an unexpectedly long time to appear in a browser window.

Improves compatibility with Microsoft Entourage.

Reduces likelihood of a potential "ticking hard drive" symptom that could be caused by IOAudio errors regularly being written to the system.log file.

Addresses a potential issue in which Mac Help may not be available following an erase-installation.

Improves compatibility of the Universal Access Zoom feature with some iBook computers.

Addresses a potential situation in which no video may appear after waking certain iBook computers that are connected to an external display or presentation device.

Addresses a situation in which a Classic application may fail to produce sound after waking from sleep.

Addresses a potential situation in which AppleTalk may not be available in the Classic environment after waking from sleep.

Addresses various potential kernel panic situations.

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------

<hr></blockquote>

Comments

• Reply 1 of 14
    Can't wait until it comes out.
  • Reply 2 of 14
    chuckerchucker Posts: 5,089member
    I really hope it's not 6D51.
  • Reply 3 of 14
    chuckerchucker Posts: 5,089member
    CUPS improvements? Did they add SMB printing?
  • Reply 4 of 14
    zozo Posts: 3,117member
    Better entourage performance sounds great... as well as faster web page rendering (this is an OS problem???)

The 'Addresses various potential kernel panic situations.' sounds a bit vague... ah well
  • Reply 5 of 14
    fran441fran441 Posts: 3,715member
    It's odd that they pulled all info about the update. I wonder if they just let the cat out of the bag too early, or if there were problems with the updater.
  • Reply 6 of 14
    [quote]Originally posted by Fran441:

<strong>It's odd that they pulled all info about the update. I wonder if they just let the cat out of the bag too early, or if there were problems with the updater.</strong><hr></blockquote>

Heheheh Thank Gawd for Copy and Paste
  • Reply 7 of 14
    escherescher Posts: 1,811member
    [quote]Originally posted by Fran441:

<strong>It's odd that they pulled all info about the update. I wonder if they just let the cat out of the bag too early, or if there were problems with the updater.</strong><hr></blockquote>

I wonder as well. I haven't heard about anyone actually being able to download the update. So a problem with the update would have to have been uncovered in internal and developer testing. This leads me to believe that an Apple TIL webmaster simply let the cat out of the bag too early. We'll have to wait a couple more days...

I just hope that 10.2.1 fixes the annoying bug where characters and/or lines of text disappear (don't render), e.g. in Chimera and MS Word.

Escher

[ 09-16-2002: Message edited by: Escher ]</p>
  • Reply 8 of 14
    [quote]Originally posted by Chucker:

<strong>CUPS improvements? Did they add SMB printing?</strong><hr></blockquote>

Did they add serial printing for my old HP Deskjet ??

Unforunately, I don't think so.

• Reply 9 of 14
    [quote]Originally posted by Escher:

[QB]I just hope that 10.2.1 fixes the annoying bug where characters and/or lines of text disappear (don't render), e.g. in Chimera and MS Word.<hr></blockquote> I'm not the only one this is happening to!! It happens in Internet Explorer as well, Escher. In fact, the problem drove me to download 5 (FIVE!) different browsers. IE was the worst culprit by far, but all of them did this to some extent. Netscape was the best of the lot, and I'm enjoying it quite nicely so far.

But, yes, this bug needs to be fixed, posthaste.
  • Reply 10 of 14
    aquaticaquatic Posts: 5,602member
    Is 10.2.1 a fix-all? I'm waiting to upgrade to Jaguar, upon hearing about lots of problems. I waited until 10.1.3 of MacOS X. I happily stayed at 10.1.4, and it's a ROCK. So anyone with 10.2.1, how is it?
  • Reply 11 of 14
    [quote]Originally posted by Chucker:

<strong>I really hope it's not 6D51.</strong><hr></blockquote>

It isn't. 6D52 is seeded to developers now.
  • Reply 12 of 14
    I suppose it might be this weekend or early next week then.

It is interesting that the knowledge base article made no mention of graphics, despite many people claiming the graphics are much faster.

I'm looking forward to it for stability and also hoping the rumored graphics improvements are there so I can maybe play WarCraft III a little better.

I don't currently have any stability problems, but I'd like to keep it that way.
  • Reply 13 of 14
    ast3r3xast3r3x Posts: 5,012member
    Think they added more printers to work with them? I have a MFC from brother, is it brothers job to get the working or apple?

Brother had it working with 10.1
  • Reply 14 of 14
    [quote]Originally posted by Goof-Off:

<strong>

It isn't. 6D52 is seeded to developers now.</strong><hr></blockquote>

Build 6D52 is the released version!