First photos from Apple's WWDC site highlight App Store success

Posted:
in iPhone edited January 2014
With roughly five days to go before Apple kicks off its annual Worldwide Developers Conference in San Francisco, signage spotted around the Moscone Center can already be seen paying homage to all things App Store.

AppleInsider reader Alan Jackson burnt the midnight oil on Wednesday to deliver this Flickr album of 22 photos he snapped outside the Moscone West Tuesday evening, the conference hall where Apple will deliver its inaugural keynote early next week and proceed into individual training sessions.

The photos show workers adhering a trademark white Apple logo to the upper glass facade of the conference facility just before sundown. Jumbo-sized App Store icons were later seen strewn around the lower glass near the hall's entrance.

Only one banner is visible from the photos: a sprawling New Year's-themed piece peppered with confetti of App Store icons and the calling phrase "One year later. Light-years ahead" -- obviously in reference to the App Store's blistering success that has left rivals and the industry in awe.

Nothing related to Mac OS X or Snow Leopard can be seen from the photos, suggesting that this year's conference may follow in the footsteps of last year's, where the Mac took a back seat to iPhone-related disclosures.

Apple has promised to equip developers with a near finalized copy of Mac OS X 10.6 Snow Leopard during the conference, but recent reports suggest new iPhone hardware introductions could steal the spotlight.

A team of Apple executives led by marketing chief Phil Schiller will kick off WWDC 2009 with a keynote address on Monday, June 8 at 10:00 a.m. Pacific time.

Comments

• Reply 1 of 34
    saareksaarek Posts: 1,520member
    WWDC might concentrate on developers, but they seem to release more cool hardware/software than anything else, it's like Macworld used to be!
  • Reply 2 of 34
    nvidia2008nvidia2008 Posts: 9,262member
    RIP Macworld. Long live WWDC.

I miss San Fran... *sniff*
  • Reply 3 of 34
    ivan.rnn01ivan.rnn01 Posts: 1,822member
    This is exactly how I view it.

However, the guys at Flickr think the icon in the bottom left angle of the image #6 means "iPhone 32GB"...
  • Reply 4 of 34
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by ivan.rnn01 View Post

However, the guys at Flickr think the icon in the bottom left angle of the image #6 means "iPhone 32GB"...

What? Because the icon has a number 32? It looks like a gas pump of some sort ... probably mileage app / cheapest gas nearest to you kind of app.
  • Reply 5 of 34
    vercordiovercordio Posts: 49member
    Quote:

Betting that the next iPhone will increase to 32GB is like betting the sun will come up tomorrow. Now, whether or not it's announced at WWDC, there's a far more interesting question.

Anyway, I agree with the poster above. Looks like a gas pump.
  • Reply 6 of 34
    abrooksabrooks Posts: 66member
    Quote:

This is exactly how I view it.

App is called AccuFuel.
  • Reply 7 of 34
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by nvidia2008 View Post

What? Because the icon has a number 32? It looks like a gas pump of some sort ... probably mileage app / cheapest gas nearest to you kind of app.

Personally I think your explanation is closer to truth.
  • Reply 8 of 34
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by abrooks View Post

App is called AccuFuel.

Indeed. I use Road Trip, this is why I've never seen that one.
  • Reply 9 of 34
    Quote:

Personally I think your explanation is closer to truth.

Thanks. On another matter, during the Keynote I predict the wonderful new iPhone 3G will be announced but shipping only in July, iPhone 3.0 Software released for all iPhone owners to download, App Store improvements etc. etc., a few cool Snow Leopard "news updates" but nothing too flash.

iPhone 3.0 Software is great. But putting that with the new iPhone 3G with 32GB, 3+ megapixel camera, front-facing camera (20% chance this will happen I predict), Magnetometer and new sexy design, faster CPU etc etc. ....... will be the kind of iPhone kickass stuff Apple will want going into and through this "economic bottom" of the rest of the year.

Apple should actually put a 5 megapixel camera with 720p HD video recording just to shut everyone up.
  • Reply 10 of 34
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by vercordio View Post

Betting that the next iPhone will increase to 32GB is like betting the sun will come up tomorrow. Now, whether or not it's announced at WWDC, there's a far more interesting question.

Anyway, I agree with the poster above. Looks like a gas pump.

Nothing says it will be announced at WWDC. Absolutely nothing. On the contrary, everything suggests WWDC will be completely software-centric.

Apple's silence, though, is very suspicious.
  • Reply 11 of 34
    slang4artslang4art Posts: 376member
    I just want Spotlight already... *sigh
  • Reply 12 of 34
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by nvidia2008 View Post

Thanks. On another matter, during the Keynote I predict the wonderful new iPhone 3G will be announced but shipping only in July, iPhone 3.0 Software released for all iPhone owners to download, App Store improvements etc. etc., a few cool Snow Leopard "news updates" but nothing too flash.

iPhone 3.0 Software is great. But putting that with the new iPhone 3G with 32GB, 3+ megapixel camera, front-facing camera (20% chance this will happen I predict), Magnetometer and new sexy design, faster CPU etc etc. ....... will be the kind of iPhone kickass stuff Apple will want going into and through this "economic bottom" of the rest of the year.

Apple should actually put a 5 megapixel camera with 720p HD video recording just to shut everyone up.

I give, as I always did since long, 50% of probability to the event which consists in the new iPhone hardware being announced at WWDC regardlessly if SJ will attend it or not. But another 50% share goes to the option that they will wait for Steve to present new iPhone.
  • Reply 13 of 34
    WWDC next week? Who gives a beep when you have this in your hands

Say hello to the new front camera!
  • Reply 14 of 34
    lorrelorre Posts: 396member
    I don't think they can afford not to mention Snow Leopard in the WWDC keynote, however, there's not enough room for both SL and a new iPhone, unless they don't talk about iPhone OS 3.0, which would imply older iPhone users will not see additional features beyond what's already known.

I still believe either SL or new iPhone models will get their own event.
  • Reply 15 of 34
    chronsterchronster Posts: 1,894member
    It appears they are getting rid of the very failed App Store judging by how they decorated everything.

• Reply 16 of 34
    mark2005mark2005 Posts: 1,158member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by Lorre View Post

I don't think they can afford not to mention Snow Leopard in the WWDC keynote, however, there's not enough room for both SL and a new iPhone, unless they don't talk about iPhone OS 3.0, which would imply older iPhone users will not see additional features beyond what's already known.

The keynote is usually about 90 minutes. (I'm not attending so can an attendee confirm the actual scheduled length?) With a 10 minute state-of-Apple intro, that leaves approx 25 minutes each for Snow Leopard, iPhone 3.0, and iPhone devices.

That's plenty unless you're wanting to see more developer demos...
  • Reply 17 of 34
    rokkenrokken Posts: 236member
    Light-years ahead. That's quite a statement. It really makes me excited to see what's coming.
  • Reply 18 of 34
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by chronster View Post

It appears they are getting rid of the very failed App Store judging by how they decorated everything.

Of course! Who wants apps for their PHONE?

• Reply 19 of 34
    hmurchisonhmurchison Posts: 12,419member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by Lorre View Post

We've already seen the dog n pony show with SDK 3.0 so the only thing Apple could really talk about are features like video recording, and more that are thusfar hidden from the public at large.

If Snow Leopard has a new unified UI then it certainly needs a demo and Apple does need to reassure people that Snow Leopard is something they are going to want to have especially considering the overhyping of Windows 7.

The book publishers already have their placeholders for Snow Leopard books coming in August. I think we see Snow Leopard in September at the latest and the WWDC preview is going to be probably more mature than people know.
  • Reply 20 of 34
    solipsismsolipsism Posts: 25,726member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by hmurchison View Post

We've already seen the dog n pony show with SDK 3.0 so the only thing Apple could really talk about are features like video recording, and more that are thusfar hidden from the public at large.

If Snow Leopard has a new unified UI then it certainly needs a demo and Apple does need to reassure people that Snow Leopard is something they are going to want to have especially considering the overhyping of Windows 7.

That all seems most likely.