Macbook not for business students

valval
Posted:
in General Discussion edited January 2014
Hi, I am planning on becoming a business student, but I was wondering if purchasing a mac is a good idea if I am going into business? Do you think it would be too much trouble owning a mac and being a business student?

Comments

• Reply 1 of 20
    futurepastnowfuturepastnow Posts: 1,772member
    Some people will look at you funny. You might have to buy a copy of Windows for it (though as a student that cost would likely be negligible).
  • Reply 2 of 20
    taurontauron Posts: 911member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by val View Post

Hi, I am planning on becoming a business student, but I was wondering if purchasing a mac is a good idea if I am going into business? Do you think it would be too much trouble owning a mac and being a business student?

Macs are good for any profession so it is a given that it will serve well for the computing needs of business.
  • Reply 3 of 20
    why would it not be good for business students?

and if you need to run windows you can.
  • Reply 4 of 20
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by captaincore View Post

why would it not be good for business students?

and if you need to run windows you can.

The computing needs of business students are pretty ordinary. My macbook pro is used for intensive scientific computing and research and it performs better than 99% of windows PC desktops.
  • Reply 5 of 20
    taskisstaskiss Posts: 1,212member
    Quote:

I'm not sure why you would start a thread with this title before you asked this question...

...and in my opinion, the MacBook (especially the white one) is perfect for any student as long as you max out the RAM. If you need any Windows programs, just run bootcamp.
  • Reply 6 of 20
    nvidia2008nvidia2008 Posts: 9,262member
    Quote:

You would probably be more productive and enjoy your computing experience more, with a Mac.

You'd mainly be researching online, reading PDFs, using Microsoft Office (Office for Mac).

Like people said, worse case scenario, use Parallels/ VMWare/ BootCamp.
  • Reply 7 of 20
    splinemodelsplinemodel Posts: 7,311member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by FuturePastNow View Post

Some people will look at you funny. You might have to buy a copy of Windows for it (though as a student that cost would likely be negligible).

Not at all. Having a mac for business is a status symbol now. Stay at a top hotel, and you'll notice all the macs. In europe, it seems even more pronounced. In 2009, if you're anybody, you're using a mac. MS Office is actually better on the mac than it is for windows, and, as I said, anybody who's anybody is either using Keynote or trying to figure out how. If you start using Keynote, you might start blowing people's minds. Everyone in business is very accustomed to PowerPoint -- in a bad way. Keynote is a big deal.

I personally travel with a macbook (unibody). It does everything I need, and it's small. It's a better package than the Air, which is too much of a one-trick-pony. Plus, it can be powered AND charged from the 75W airline sockets.
  • Reply 8 of 20
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by Splinemodel View Post

Not at all. Having a mac for business is a status symbol now. Stay at a top hotel, and you'll notice all the macs. In europe, it seems even more pronounced. In 2009, if you're anybody, you're using a mac. MS Office is actually better on the mac than it is for windows, and, as I said, anybody who's anybody is either using Keynote or trying to figure out how. If you start using Keynote, you might start blowing people's minds. Everyone in business is very accustomed to PowerPoint -- in a bad way. Keynote is a big deal.

I personally travel with a macbook (unibody). It does everything I need, and it's small. It's a better package than the Air, which is too much of a one-trick-pony. Plus, it can be powered AND charged from the 75W airline sockets.

Europeans are better educated than Americans for the most part. Hence it is no surprise that they favor macs more.
  • Reply 9 of 20
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by Taskiss View Post

If you need any Windows programs, just kill yourself.

fixed!!!
  • Reply 10 of 20
    splinemodelsplinemodel Posts: 7,311member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by Tauron View Post

Europeans are better educated than Americans for the most part. Hence it is no surprise that they favor macs more.

This is not true at the upper-echelon level, which is the demographic I'm discussing. I have no idea if regular joes in europe use macs. The sales numbers would seem to indicate this is not necessarily the case.
  • Reply 11 of 20
    o-maco-mac Posts: 777member
    It doesn't matter what you use as long as you get the job done.

Everything is compatible now so it's only a matter of personal preference.
  • Reply 12 of 20
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by O-Mac View Post

It doesn't matter what you use as long as you get the job done.

Everything is compatible now so it's only a matter of personal preference.

You won't get the job done without some serious annoyance and wasted time if you run Winblows.
  • Reply 13 of 20
    robonerdrobonerd Posts: 58member
    Buying a Mac now will probably last you through your entire term at school. Buying a Windows-based notebook, I doubt it seriously. Macs have better longevity in terms of hardware quality and the inevitable phenomenon of Windows slowly grinding itself down to where you have to re-install it to make it fast again.
  • Reply 14 of 20
    piotpiot Posts: 1,346member
    Are none of you guys just a little curious that the Original Poster starts a thread, gets some replies and then never responds?

6 posts. 6 threads.

?
  • Reply 15 of 20
    floorjackfloorjack Posts: 2,726member
    You may find that some windows only software is required to work on team projects and what not. At the very least you need to be ready to dual boot or use parallels/fusion.
  • Reply 16 of 20
    nvidia2008nvidia2008 Posts: 9,262member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by FloorJack View Post

You may find that some windows only software is required to work on team projects and what not. At the very least you need to be ready to dual boot or use parallels/fusion.

Parallels or Fusion is enough to take care of such software, eg. if they *have* to use MS Project.
  • Reply 17 of 20
    apostileapostile Posts: 1member

Source
  • Reply 18 of 20
    a_greera_greer Posts: 4,594member
    WARNING Office for the mac is the worst app in the history of computing, period!

As a big mac fan, I must say, plan to run VirtualBOX (a free alternative to PARALLELS and VMWare) and Windows, in addition to office 2007.

Windows sucks, but office:Mac sucks far more
  • Reply 19 of 20
    vineavinea Posts: 5,585member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by a_greer View Post

WARNING Office for the mac is the worst app in the history of computing, period!

As a big mac fan, I must say, plan to run VirtualBOX (a free alternative to PARALLELS and VMWare) and Windows, in addition to office 2007.

Windows sucks, but office:Mac sucks far more

Office for the mac isn't THAT bad. Entourage sucks eggs though so if you're going to run Outlook anyway why the hell bother with office on the mac?

No reason at all.
  • Reply 20 of 20
    robonerdrobonerd Posts: 58member
    Office 2008 for the Mac isn't that bad, although I still dislike Entourage -- mainly because it does a horrible job of playing nice with (non-Exchange) IMAP servers. But Word and Excel are worth the price of admission, especially if (like me) you have a large assortment of legacy documents in Microsoft Office's old formats. Or you need to create documents that others can edit and collaborate with on their Windows machines.

Now the previous version of Office for Mac, on the other hand... >shudder< ... yeah, it was pretty bad performance-wise. But 2008 is pretty snappy even on my low-end MacBook.