Review roundup: Palm's Pre and its fledgeling WebOS

Comments

• Reply 41 of 275
    teckstudteckstud Posts: 6,476member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by drdb View Post

No. not the end of the story. You then have to ask the question do you want to go messing about swapping batteries? How many do you have to keep around?

I've had mobile phones for nearly 10 years now and I've never kept a spare battery, I expect enough life from the one already in there to get me through.

I guess you never owned a digital camera?

My point is the more apps and bullsheet added to these devices, a swappable battery is mandatory- like a camera.
  • Reply 42 of 275
    asciiascii Posts: 5,936member
    If build quality is your thing, check this out http://www.uncells.com/

You may have to be a millionaire though!
  • Reply 43 of 275
    wobegonwobegon Posts: 764member
    It's interesting how many people are saying "Good job, Palm!" when it's really more like, "Good job, Jon Rubinstein, former Apple employee and engineer behind the iPod, and well done numerous other former Apple employees in Jon's 250 person team."
  • Reply 44 of 275
    virgil-tb2virgil-tb2 Posts: 1,416member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by Hattig View Post

Well it's good to know that Palm have stopped totally messing up.

Also Mac users should feel comfortable with the rounded corners on the UI

As a new system the software will have flaws, as did/does the iPhone. Sadly all that matters is right now, and in a month or two that will put webOS some way behind. ...

Palm ought to license webOS for money, it might create a bigger market, and thus more software would be written, more people would buy, etc, etc.

My hope is that the Pre becomes the main competitor to the iPhone, in that the iPhone can never take over the whole market anyway (nor should it), and the most compatible device to "take up the slack" and that will do the most for consumers is the Pre.

This is because the entire OS of the Pre is web-based, open standards infused, and (more importantly) a subset of the iPhone functionality. The Safari browser on the iPhone looks and acts almost identically to the WebOS interface. I am hoping that Apple sees this and both makes mobile Safari a little more attractive and easier to use (closer to WebOS), and at the same time pushes more developers to using web-based solutions which actually work better in many cases than native ones.

IMO the ideal smartphone (or even cellphone) market is a 60/40 one with the iPhone platform as the 60 and the WebOS platform as the 40.
  • Reply 45 of 275
    solipsismsolipsism Posts: 25,726member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by nagromme View Post

"$240 a year less than AT&T."

It's silly that AT&T can't (yet?) grasp the concept that a smartphone is now for CONSUMERS. Who expect some text messages in their plan.

However, I don't use texting, and when my friends text me I call them back instead (which is easier anyway). The situations in which you NEED texting (as opposed to voice and email) are rare enough that my monthly SMS bill from AT&T averages $1.

Which would put the Pre's plan at $12 a year less, not $240

$240 would be for AT&T's unlimited SMS plan--which is fair to compare, but is actually needed by almost nobody. They have two levels of SMS below the unlimited plan. They cost less and let you do MASS amounts of texting.

I wish it was included, if only because I think it?s racket, especially when paying for unlimited data, but Sprint needs to attract users more than AT&T. I think the best thing that can happen to AT&T and US iPhone users is for the Pre et al. to impact the iPhone?s success negatively. As a stick holder I won?t be too happy with that, but as an iPhone and AT&T user the outcome should be favourable.

Quote:
    Originally Posted by anonymouse View Post

So, for the Pre to be actually useful you have to hand over all your data to google? I consider that a very black mark against it. Yes, yes, I know google says their motto is "do no evil", but does anyone really believe that? Apparently a lot of people do, but I don't believe them for a second.

The devil?s greatest trick was to convince people he didn?t exist. His 2nd greatest trick was to convince people he was harmless.

Personally, i don?t believe in good or evil as we define it, but I do believe that Google will work for their best interests as a publicly traded company. That said, it does appear that Google?s current longterm business practices are good for us. In a similar vein does anyone think that Apple?s open-source support is altruistic in any way?
  • Reply 46 of 275
    quadra 610quadra 610 Posts: 6,757member
    MDN's take is spot-on today . . .

Almost every reviewer (yes, we've read them all) either fails to mention the specter of new iPhone hardware that looms over Palm and the Pre or, worse, compares the Pre with iPhone 3G (now a year old) and iPhone Software 2.0. Also, nobody seems to see fit to mention that a device with an accelerometer to detect and enable landscape view (wonder where they got that idea?) comes with a less-than-stellar antique physical keyboard perpetually stuck in (and with keys crammed into) portrait mode. Turning the thing sideways results in a useless appendage; simply bad design.

By some miracle, even the most deluded reviewers do mention the Pre's complete dearth of apps before resuming their breathless comparisons with Apple's old iPhone and OS. RIM is the odd man out, warranting little or no mention at all in many of these reviews; that's telling and of import to the mobile device market as a whole. BlackBerry could get squeezed here if ? and this is a very big if (consigned to Sprint for at least 6 months, no apps, scant developer support, non-competitive price that's about to look even worse, iPhone 3.0, new iPhones, etc.) ? Palm's Pre is a sales hit.

By our calculations, the media's Pre orgy has about 96 hours left ? or several thousand less hours than Palm desperately needs.
  • Reply 47 of 275
    asciiascii Posts: 5,936member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by Quadra 610 View Post

By our calculations, the media's Pre orgy has about 96 hours left ? or several thousand less hours than Palm desperately needs.[/I]

Where did they get the 96hrs figure from? WWDC keynote?
  • Reply 48 of 275
    solipsismsolipsism Posts: 25,726member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by Hattig View Post

Symbian - at least it has Nokia behind it, and a new QT based UI coming soon. Nokia is a bit confusing here because they're also moving Linux/Maemo to other devices as well.

I think that Fennec (mobile Firefox) will be very important to Nokia when it is officially launched this year. They?ve been doing a Qt port for over a year now. I?m surprised that it?s taken so long, especially when Mozilla has lost so much mobile marketshare to WebKit-based browsers with iPhone OS X, BB OS, Android, WebOS. You can even get WebKit-based browser as Iris for WinMo devices. It scores a 100/100 on Acid3 thereby making it the most advanced mobile browser engine on the market to date.
  • Reply 49 of 275
    mdriftmeyermdriftmeyer Posts: 7,503member
    Sorry Mossberg.

You're dreamin' if those tiny keys are an advantage over Apple's keyboard touch screen.
  • Reply 50 of 275
    aaarrrggghaaarrrgggh Posts: 1,609member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by teckstud View Post

Can you swap the Pre's battery? End of story.

While I agree with what you are saying, I have seen far too many people using the external AA rechargers for Blackberries and other phones to believe that most people want second batteries. A single, long-life battery is what makes using a phone simple. When you wake up in the middle of the night remembering you need to plug your phone in to charge... not so much.

If a phone has a long battery life (3-5 days with heavy use), nobody cares about the battery. If it is less than a day then it becomes a big issue. Less than two days, and some people get upset but not the majority.
  • Reply 51 of 275
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by Virgil-TB2 View Post

My hope is that the Pre becomes the main competitor to the iPhone, in that the iPhone can never take over the whole market anyway (nor should it), and the most compatible device to "take up the slack" and that will do the most for consumers is the Pre.

This is because the entire OS of the Pre is web-based, open standards infused, and (more importantly) a subset of the iPhone functionality. The Safari browser on the iPhone looks and acts almost identically to the WebOS interface. I am hoping that Apple sees this and both makes mobile Safari a little more attractive and easier to use (closer to WebOS), and at the same time pushes more developers to using web-based solutions which actually work better in many cases than native ones.

IMO the ideal smartphone (or even cellphone) market is a 60/40 one with the iPhone platform as the 60 and the WebOS platform as the 40.

Safari will continue to evolve, but Apple's iPhone OS isn't going to drive Web Apps on the iPhone as their first solution for development on the iPhone. The SDK is the future of the iPhone. They'll add more functionality with those native applications to interact with Safari, but it won't be a priority driving through Safari when you open up APIs and allow developers to drive profits through native apps.
  • Reply 52 of 275
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by nagromme View Post

"$240 a year less than AT&T."

It's silly that AT&T can't (yet?) grasp the concept that a smartphone is now for CONSUMERS. Who expect some text messages in their plan.

However, I don't use texting, and when my friends text me I call them back instead (which is easier anyway). The situations in which you NEED texting (as opposed to voice and email) are rare enough that my monthly SMS bill from AT&T averages $1.

Which would put the Pre's plan at $12 a year less, not $240

$240 would be for AT&T's unlimited SMS plan--which is fair to compare, but is actually needed by almost nobody. They have two levels of SMS below the unlimited plan. They cost less and let you do MASS amounts of texting.

They are trying to appeal and plead with the Twitter junkies and kids who waste their day away texting on their phones.
  • Reply 52 of 275
    johnqhjohnqh Posts: 242member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by solipsism View Post

I like your prediction about Google buying WebOS and integrating it as an option part of the Android platform. Though I think that WinMo will live on simply because MS has the means to push it regardless of sales and that Nokia will either keep Symbian or move to a new OS that they create in-house. Nokia isn’t out of this by a long shot and I respect their CEO for admitting that the iPhone took them by surprise and that they need to focus on a better OS and UI. I think that lack of hubris is a good omen for Nokia’s future.

Nokia/Symbian won't disappear, but I think they will be powering mid-level phones instead of full-featured smart phones. The whole point of smart phone is to have third party apps. Nokia won't succeed in doing that. However, they will have phones with good in-house apps for much cheaper price (like those free AR phones).

WM is down but certainly not out. WM has the best development tools, on par with iPhone. Just that is enough to make them a strong contender. However, between WM and BB, I still think BB has the upper hand because corporations will be reluctant to change their standard handset.

As is, WM will beat Android and WebOS for the #3 spot. Palm won't survive, simply because they won't have enough volume to have positive margin. Eventually, after Nth time, they won't find investors to keep on filling the hole.

On the other hand, if Google buys Palm, Android/WebOS have a good chance to compete against WM. I would say 50-50.
  • Reply 54 of 275
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by aaarrrgggh View Post

While I agree with what you are saying, I have seen far too many people using the external AA rechargers for Blackberries and other phones to believe that most people want second batteries. A single, long-life battery is what makes using a phone simple. When you wake up in the middle of the night remembering you need to plug your phone in to charge... not so much.

If a phone has a long battery life (3-5 days with heavy use), nobody cares about the battery. If it is less than a day then it becomes a big issue. Less than two days, and some people get upset but not the majority.

But if you are out all day - let's say on vacation, making calls , taking pics, makig videos, etc, etc, It's a hell of a lot easier to swap out a battery than look for a place to charge up your device.
  • Reply 55 of 275
    johnqhjohnqh Posts: 242member
    Quote:

But if you are out all day - let's say on vacation, making calls , taking pics, makig videos, etc, etc, It's a hell of a lot easier to swap out a battery than look for a place to charge up your device.

Or, it is a hell lot easier to have a phone which will last all day.
  • Reply 56 of 275
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by johnqh View Post

Or, it is a hell lot easier to have a phone which will last all day.

Does one exist? Everyone I know is constantly charging their iPhone all day at work and using while it's charging!
  • Reply 57 of 275
    sheffsheff Posts: 1,407member
    I love the on screen keyboard on iPhone, and think the additional physical keyboard sucks. The keys are too small for normal use, and it adds fatness to the phone which would bulges in my pocket. Also NO APPS on WebOS! This phone does not compete with the iPhone, or with the iPhones that will come out on June 8th. It competes with Android OS, which is not bad in itself, but seems to have more phones and developers on its side. How about software upgrades? Are those possible?

Just don't see why people are so excited about this, definitely not an iPhone killer.
  • Reply 58 of 275
    quadra 610quadra 610 Posts: 6,757member
    Quote:

Does one exist? Everyone I know is constantly charging their iPhone all day at work and using while it's charging!

If you're on the web all day on your iPhone, playing games, using apps, etc. It'll drain faster. People love to use their iPhones, and play with them constantly. You're likely seeing an inordinate amount of usage. It's an addictive device, to say the least.

By the way, you should change your sig. It seems grotesquely out of line with your posts.
  • Reply 59 of 275
    drdbdrdb Posts: 99member
    Quote:

I guess you never owned a digital camera?

My point is the more apps and bullsheet added to these devices, a swappable battery is mandatory- like a camera.

Funnily enough I do have a digital camera. Funnily enough I made it through a trip to the zoo taking multiple pictures of every single animal without swapping my batteries too. Do you have some really crap batteries or something?
  • Reply 60 of 275
    drdbdrdb Posts: 99member
    Quote:

maybe people just want to use the work electricity instead of their own at night?