Review roundup: Palm's Pre and its fledgeling WebOS

Comments

• Reply 101 of 275
    teckstudteckstud Posts: 6,476member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by GTL215 View Post

um, since last year when the same mainstream press outslets all had iphone 3g reviews

WSJ

USA Today

etc

etc

WHEN??DATES?? Are you that stupid to not post them?
  • Reply 102 of 275
    gtl215gtl215 Posts: 242member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by teckstud View Post

Ok then, like the iPhone got.

actually i'm pretty sure the iPhone got rave reviews when it was released. Incremental updates since then have been "solid" at best because people like you expect too much. Then, when it's shown to be easier said than done (ya know, like Flash and voice dialing) it's all of a sudden OK to not have those features. Just give up, dude. Everybody here knows you're an ass.
  • Reply 103 of 275
    Quote:

WHEN??DATES?? Are you that stupid to not post them?

i'm not doing a simple google search for you. Learn to fly on your own - you know the reviews exist.
  • Reply 104 of 275
    tenobelltenobell Posts: 7,014member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by Virgil-TB2 View Post

I just think it would be a cool master stroke to re-jigger mobile Safari to completely subsume WebOS. If Apple could say that anything that runs on WebOS also runs on the iPhone they could effectively eliminate any advantage the Pre has.

The iPhone can currently run web apps outside of Safari if the app is designed to do so. It hasn't been something that Apple has actively encouraged or promoted. My guess would be that Apple is waiting to integrate HTML 5 features into WebKit before pushing its development features. I agree many native apps would work fine as web apps and save the developer from having to develop native apps for every phone. I think given time developers will discover this advantage.

Quote:

Anybody remember when Jobs announced web apps for the iphone? The SDK was clearly en route but not ready at the time. The collective MOAN from the audience was audible from miles away. Now web apps are the future of mobile devices?? UNREAL!!

I think Apple's web app explanation sounded like a stop gap measure. Apple did not offer web apps any extensive access to system resources, which is what Apple needs to do for iPhone web apps to behave like webOS apps.
  • Reply 105 of 275
    The iPhone got rave reviews with some drawbacks. There was nothing exactly like the iPhone when it was first introduced. The Pre is gaining the distinction of the first phone to offer most of the advantages of the iPhone.

Quote:

Ok then, like the iPhone got.

• Reply 106 of 275
    Quote:

actually i'm pretty sure the iPhone got rave reviews when it was released. Incremental updates since then have been "solid" at best because people like you expect too much. Then, when it's shown to be easier said than done (ya know, like Flash and voice dialing) it's all of a sudden OK to not have those features. Just give up, dude. Everybody here knows you're an ass.

Actually - you are. And I'm not responding to your idiotic post anymore because you're not worthy.

The Pre reviews have really affected you today, so sorry.
  • Reply 107 of 275
    Quote:

i'm not doing a simple google search for you. Learn to fly on your own - you know the reviews exist.

And so like then why was that not also an "embargo lifted" as well, ****?

EDIT:

Come on dude, you know better!
  • Reply 108 of 275
    Quote:

The Pre reviews have really affected you today, so sorry.

You're right. Miserable battery performance and non-existant Apps have affected me - I feel much more confident now about the upcoming iPhone update than I did yesterday.
  • Reply 109 of 275
    Quote:

And so like then why was that not also an "embargo lifted" as well, ****?

I didn't write the article, big guy.
  • Reply 110 of 275
    Quote:

I didn't write the article, big guy.

Ok then you agree with me but just like to fight? Pathetic.

When will the embargo be lifted on the 3rd gen iPhone? Why is it not available NOW?
  • Reply 111 of 275
    adjeiadjei Posts: 738member
    Folks we finally have the iphone killer, Apple and iphone you are dead.
  • Reply 112 of 275
    chronsterchronster Posts: 1,894member
    The bickering is getting a little old
  • Reply 113 of 275
    Quote:

When will the embargo be lifted on the 3rd gen iPhone? Why is it not available NOW?

I like to fight because you're a bonafide troll.

The "embargo" is not lifted because we're not on the eve of a retail release. Let's see what WWDC brings, then let's see when new iPhones go on sale. Then, in my opinion, you'll likely see official reviews pop up in the week leading up to the on-sale date, which will probably be in July (like last year).

Edit - I might add, as far as Apple goes regarding the iPhone, despite notorious secrecy, they typically show their full hand ahead of release (ie, at WWDC) then let the anticipation grow before it goes on sale. There are very few surprises by the time the device is actually in consumers hands.
  • Reply 114 of 275
    addaboxaddabox Posts: 12,665member
    Quote:

Yes. Apple certainly cannot survive the introduction of a phone.
  • Reply 115 of 275
    An embargo is a government restriction on trade or commerce. The next iPhone isn't under an embargo it hasn't been announced yet.

Quote:

• Reply 116 of 275
    chronsterchronster Posts: 1,894member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by addabox View Post

Yes. Apple certainly cannot survive the introduction of a phone.

sell your stock!
  • Reply 117 of 275
    quadra 610quadra 610 Posts: 6,757member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by Adjei View Post

Apple is dooooomed!

• Reply 118 of 275
    coffeetimecoffeetime Posts: 116member
    Quote:

Can you swap the Pre's battery? End of story.

End of story? For who? I have a first-gen iPhone bought on Opening Day (June 29, 2007), and I still only charge it every third day.

Look, everything - EVERYTHING (not just phones) - that you buy today is a compromise in one way or another. The iPhone's non-removable battery is just one example. Do you think that Apple designed it that way just to tick everyone off, or could it be that it allowed for more (or better) components in an already crowed space? End of story for you, perhaps, but not for me.
  • Reply 119 of 275
    docno42docno42 Posts: 3,755member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by solipsism View Post

In a similar vein does anyone think that Apple?s open-source support is altruistic in any way?

Yeah, but Apple doesn't have my data. And where they do have it (mobileme) it's a lot more defined then Google...
  • Reply 120 of 275
    mistergsfmistergsf Posts: 241member
    Why don't the apps make full use of the screen? Seems like wasted space to me.