New 16GB, 32GB iPhones appear in Carphone Warehouse systems

Posted:
in iPhone edited January 2014
Carphone Warehouse, the largest independent European mobile phone retailer and an official iPhone reseller, added four placeholders to their inventory list for new iPhone models earlier today, sources tell AppleInsider.

With new iPhone models expected this summer, in addition to the previously-announced 3.0 firmware, Carphone Warehouse appears to be gearing up for the change. A screenshot of its inventory system provided by a person known to have access to such information shows placeholders for both 16GB and 32GB iPhones in both white and black. They're mixed in among the existing and previous iPhone models, having reportedly cropped up just hours ago.

Numerous reports and inadvertent leaks (1, 2, 3) from Apple's partners over the past several weeks have signaled the arrival of third-generation iPhones in capacities of 16GB and 32GB. While the changes to Carphone Warehouse's systems should not be treated as confirmation of new iPhone specifications, the retailers status as an official iPhone reseller could potentially make it privy to such information.

Coupled with Best Buy’s recently-released internal memorandum notifying employees of expected low inventory of the current iPhone 3G, as well as a similar advisory issued by Brightpoint, an iPhone distributor in Australia, retail signs are aligned in pointing to new iPhone disclosures early next week at Apple's annual developers conference.

Last year, Apple introduced the iPhone 3G at the start of its 2008 developers conference on June 9th and announced availability would follow on July 11th. During the four weeks in between, supply of original iPhones were close to non-existent. Thursday's report out of Carphone Warehouse was accompanied by word that the retailer has simultaneously pushed out some of its poster and offer changes until July 7, but AppleInsider has no reason to believe that date is of any broader significance.

Comments

• Reply 1 of 116
    benicebenice Posts: 382member
    Great news!

I'll take a 32gb one in white thanks.
  • Reply 2 of 116
    harmswayharmsway Posts: 19member
    I'll take a 16GB Black please.

I hope AT&T does come out with a tiered data plan.

My wife would like my 1st generation iPhone when I get the new one, but she does not need web-surfing. More for phone, and occasional text message. And photos of the kids.
  • Reply 3 of 116
    mazda 3smazda 3s Posts: 1,613member
    I'll take a 32GB black please
  • Reply 4 of 116
    gtl215gtl215 Posts: 242member
    i have a 16gb white, but will probably go with black next time around. Gotta go with 32GB for sure tho
  • Reply 5 of 116
    lilgto64lilgto64 Posts: 1,147member
    I have 8GB original iPhone - not sure if I would keep it as just a phone for the wife - or give it to the kid as an iPod Touch with no phone service. The wife can barely operate the basic cell phone i got for her as it is - not sure if the iPhone would make it easier or overwhelm her - plus the kid already wants to play games on it constantly.

Need to see pricing and such and may have to wait till Sept when I can kill my 3G card (assuming I can tether the phone) when that contract is up.
  • Reply 6 of 116
    dreyfus2dreyfus2 Posts: 1,072member
    There are quite some indications that the new models will roll out pretty soon. At least five people were independently advised by the hotline of T-Mobile Germany (exclusive iPhone partner here) that they will offer the new model as per the 16th of June. While a Tuesday sounds unlikely, it might be a better idea than dealing with failing activations and an overloaded network over the weekend?!
  • Reply 7 of 116
    amac4meamac4me Posts: 282member
    Return of the White iPhone
  • Reply 8 of 116
    chronsterchronster Posts: 1,894member
    a 32gb iphone!? WHO WOULDA THUNK IT?
  • Reply 9 of 116
    hosshoss Posts: 69member
    These guys really need to throw in the kitchen sink on this version, as the Pre has really closed the gap with their v.1. Consumers win!!!
  • Reply 10 of 116
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by dreyfus2 View Post

There are quite some indications that the new models will roll out pretty soon. At least five people were independently advised by the hotline of T-Mobile Germany (exclusive iPhone partner here) that they will offer the new model as per the 16th of June. While a Tuesday sounds unlikely, it might be a better idea than dealing with failing activations and an overloaded network over the weekend?!

Where did you hear this? Just curious.
  • Reply 11 of 116
    melgrossmelgross Posts: 33,510member
    We have 16s' now. My wife has little on her phone, and wouldn't need a 32?she doesn't really need the 16, but I didn't want her to feel left out when I bought the 16's for my daughter and myself.

We need to get our daughter a new phone for college in London this coming year. She doesn't put too much music on hers, but if the prices are the same, then I suppose a 32 would make her happy.
  • Reply 12 of 116
    teckstudteckstud Posts: 6,476member
    When will the embargo be lifted?
  • Reply 13 of 116
    snax83snax83 Posts: 2member
    Not wanting to dampen anyone's moods, but I work at Carphone Warehouse and our inventory team do have a habit of adding new items to the PLU list without anything ever coming from them, ie. we have multiple phones on the system that we don't even sell and numerous computers that have been listed for about 6-12 months and we are showing no signs of selling them.

Now I'm not saying that these aren't going to appear soon but bear in mind, it isn't necessarily a sign that they are imminent.
  • Reply 14 of 116
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by Napoleon_PhoneApart View Post

Where did you hear this? Just curious.

I got the information myself (inquiring conditions for swapping out my current model early), two colleagues independently got the same info talking to different hotline agents, and I ran into two forum posts on German sites reporting exactly the same date being advised by T-Mobile staff. Also, it is official that T-Mobile is imposing a vacation ban effective 15th of June.

All this is no proof, of course. It could be one hotline shift manager giving out made up information to the staff or whatever (it is quite common that T-Mobile hotlines are giving out wrong information, or that you receive ten different answers when calling in five times asking the same question)... Just, adding up the vacation ban and the fact that such an unlikely date (Tuesday and a lot earlier than all previous rumors) was mentioned consistently, makes it a least interesting.
  • Reply 15 of 116
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by teckstud View Post

When will the embargo be lifted?

What is it with you?

You know Apple's methods by now, no need to complain.
  • Reply 16 of 116
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by melgross View Post

What is it with you?

You know Apple's methods by now, no need to complain.

NO complaint- but why is is considered "embargo lifted" for the Pre and not for the iPhone? Is that not a reasonable question?
  • Reply 17 of 116
    taurontauron Posts: 911member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by harmsway View Post

I hope AT&T explodes in a huge ball of fire.

My wife would like my 1st generation iPhone when I get the new one, but she does not need web-surfing. More for phone, and occasional text message. And photos of the kids.

Fixed.
  • Reply 18 of 116
    Quote:

NO copmplaint-s but why is is considered "embargo lifted" for the Pre and not for the iPhone? Is that not a reasonable question?

Maybe because Palm gave out review models to reviewers asking them not to publish any findings before a certain date (= embargo), which is a common practice. If Apple has not handed out review models yet (likely, as they have not even introduced the device yet), then there can not be an embargo... "we give you nothing and you are not supposed to write about it" does not really work?
  • Reply 19 of 116
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by chronster View Post

a 32gb iphone!? WHO WOULDA THUNK IT?

What's good for the Touch is good for the iPhone. Does this mean a 64gb Touch is due Sept? Now that would be amazing!
  • Reply 20 of 116
    Quote:

NO copmplaint-s but why is is considered "embargo lifted" for the Pre and not for the iPhone? Is that not a reasonable question?

Reasonable when asked once in a close time in a thread, but that's enough. It's not much of a point to make.

There is also a difference between Palm's marketing and Apple's, as you should know by now.

Apple embargoes all of their products until introduction. If you really want to call it an embargo if they feel they don't want to show a product that isn't finished.

But Palm freely showed the Pre earlier, which is something that Apple didn't do. So the question of when Palm would let people see the Pre again is a legitimate one, as it functioned well enough to be shown, whereas Apple didn't show the phone.

Besides, the word is just semantics. Apple doesn't give public showings, and Palm does. Remember they showed that almost-a-netbook product, but didn't even produce it?

Apple might feel that they don't want to show something just in case they make major changes later.