Review roundup: Palm's Pre and its fledgeling WebOS

Comments

• Reply 121 of 275
    melgrossmelgross Posts: 33,510member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by teckstud View Post

WHEN??DATES?? Are you that stupid to not post them?

Please, mind your temper!
  • Reply 122 of 275
    jeffdmjeffdm Posts: 12,951member
    Quote:

And so like then why was that not also an "embargo lifted" as well, arse?

No name calling.

Quote:
    Originally Posted by TenoBell View Post

An embargo is a government restriction on trade or commerce. The next iPhone isn't under an embargo it hasn't been announced yet.

I think it is media & tech industry jargon, dictionary definitions don't apply literally. It's something like NDA used for news outlets among other things. They get advanced access to something early in exchange for a restrictions on when the article may be distributed.
  • Reply 123 of 275
    slapppyslapppy Posts: 331member
    Quote:

Ouch! If you don't know Mossberg is the quintessential Apple fanboy than that's your ignorance not mine. Go back to your barn - and take your friends with you.

Like I said, you have zero, nada, nothing. So before you slam Mossberg, earn some credentials before you mouth off like the typical pimpled faced Troll that you are.
  • Reply 124 of 275
    tenobelltenobell Posts: 7,014member
    If that is the case, it should be obvious that Apple is not going to allow advanced reviews of a product that it has not officially acknowledged even exists.

Quote:
    Originally Posted by JeffDM View Post

I think it is media & tech industry jargon, dictionary definitions don't apply literally. It's something like NDA used for news outlets among other things. They get advanced access to something early in exchange for a restrictions on when the article may be distributed.

• Reply 125 of 275
    teckstudteckstud Posts: 6,476member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by melgross View Post

Please, mind your temper!

Quote:
    Originally Posted by JeffDM View Post

No name calling.

Seriously - please review GTL215 posts that I was responding to. He has called me a lot worse and written in a much more hostile manner. Thank you.
  • Reply 126 of 275
    docno42docno42 Posts: 3,755member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by aaarrrgggh View Post

If a phone has a long battery life (3-5 days with heavy use), nobody cares about the battery. If it is less than a day then it becomes a big issue. Less than two days, and some people get upset but not the majority.

I just need a phone to last the day, and even then not really. The great thing about the dock connector is there are, well, docks! My clock radio has an iPod dock connector that my iPhone sleeps in (actually, it plays AmbiScience PureSleep for me at night but I digress), I connect it to the stereo in my car as I commute which charges it, when I get to work it docks with my logitech speakers at my desk which charge it.

The only time I need "extended" battery runtime is when I am on travel, so I have a Richard Solo battery/charger I got for $40 on sale. I think I have used it once to recharge my iPhone. I use the built in flashlight and laser pointer on it far more then I use it as a backup battery on my iPhone mainly because, quite frankly, the whole battery thing on the iPhone tends to be WAY overblown. Because my iPhone is also my iPod, it tends to be plugged in way more then I would have cause to plug in a traditional phone, therefore I don't even think about it.

Would I like it to last a week like my blackberry? Sure! Who wouldn't. But I prefer the compromise in size and weight they took to produce the whole package rather then just focusing on one checklist item.

This is where Apple excels. Any device is going to have compromises. Apple rightly focuses on the total experience, and ruthlessly compromising on things that, in the grand scheme of things have little impact on the overall experience. For all the whining and complaining, a non-removable battery that barely lasts a day doesn't seem to significantly impact the experience of the iPhone. A battery lasting less then a day because of multitasking does adversely impact the experience. I have several friends with Android, and when they get past gushing about it, all I hear about is the horrible battery life.
  • Reply 127 of 275
    quadra 610quadra 610 Posts: 6,757member
    People still care about swappable batteries? This is 2009. LOL.
  • Reply 128 of 275
    gtl215gtl215 Posts: 242member
    Quote:

Seriously - please review GTL215 posts that I was responding to. He has called me a lot worse and written in a much more hostile manner. Thank you.

You think they didn't see it? Like I said, EVERYBODY here knows you're a troll.
  • Reply 129 of 275
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by johnqh View Post

I will give you my guess.

Video encoding and Flash playback requires heavy CPU usage, which Pre can handle, but will drain the battery in 40 minutes.

So, the only elegant solution is to do it in hardware. I will bet the new iPhone will have a MPEG-4 encoding chip in it.

Steve won't allow iPhone to do Flash for that reason. No other phone will do Flash (no matter how people moan and complain) for the same reason.

Pre costs more than iPhone to make. Apple gets the volume discount, and hardware keyboard costs extra. Palm/Sprint set the price at $199 (AR) at the last minute and hope some people won't send in the rebate forms. I will also bet there is no video encoding chip in Pre, and thus no video recording.

Kindly checkout the new Nokia 5800 device. It can do flash as well as flash vedio without taxing battery life much. Better check your facts before open your mouth.
  • Reply 130 of 275
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by Quadra 610 View Post

People still care about swappable batteries? This is 2009. LOL.

Amen.

Apple gets slammed for built-in batteries in their phones and computers, yet the market inevitably heads in that direction anyway. Apple is the only company taking risks and breaking the status quo.
  • Reply 131 of 275
    Quote:

I read them, but we're getting more than a few complaints about your posting here, and on the related thread.

Therefor, I've responded?mildly.
  • Reply 132 of 275
    docno42docno42 Posts: 3,755member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by johnqh View Post

However, between WM and BB, I still think BB has the upper hand because corporations will be reluctant to change their standard handset.

No they won't be that reluctant. ActiveSync is maturing - ironically, Apple is driving it's maturation

Why would I want to pay for and maintain a BES, pay a Blackberry data charge and send all my data through Canada when once MS has feature parity through ActiveSync there will be no need?

Between the iPhone and WM phones, BB is dead in five years - or less if ActiveSync get's it's act together quicker. I wouldn't be surprised if there wasn't a joint Apple/MS announcement at WWDC for the few remaining enterprise management features BB has over ActiveSync. Apple wants into the enterprise, and they know they have lost the desktop war. But mobile devices are a whole 'nother story and the playing field is WIDE open.

Oh, it's not Exchange only, the other dominant player in Enterprise Email - IBM with Domino announced their intention to support ActiveSync within a year too (Yup, that was a pig flying overhead and a snowball flying by).

We do indeed live in interesting times....
  • Reply 133 of 275
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by GTL215 View Post

You think they didn't see it? Like I said, EVERYBODY here knows you're a troll.

At the same time, don't make it worse.
  • Reply 134 of 275
    chronsterchronster Posts: 1,894member
    I keep seeing people mentioning the lack of video recording and flash.

One person even went as far as to say the Pre was incapable, and that flash and video encoding would drain the battery (hilariously putting the battery life at 40 minutes.)

Palm has already said that video recording and flash are coming to the Pre. Is it really so difficult for people to understand that these features need some time, just as copy and paste on the iphone did?

You can come up with reasons all you want as to why you don't like the Pre, but completely making facts up is ridiculous and shows that you're trying to convince yourself more than anyone else of this phone's shortcomings.
  • Reply 135 of 275
    I remember flash support was one of the selling points of the 5800. I've never seen a review where they actually tested the battery life from flash playback. Or more importantly the battery life of 5800 with flash playback vs the iPhone with H.264 playback.

Quote:
    Originally Posted by vaibhav92 View Post

Kindly checkout the new Nokia 5800 device. It can do flash as well as flash vedio without taxing battery life much. Better check your facts before open your mouth.

• Reply 136 of 275
    solipsismsolipsism Posts: 25,726member
    Deleted
  • Reply 137 of 275
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by chronster View Post

You can come up with reasons all you want as to why you don't like the Pre, but completely making facts up is ridiculous and shows that you're trying to convince yourself more than anyone else of this phone's shortcomings.

I've got no problem waiting for a technology to develop if it's not quite ready for "prime time." But people are legitimately peeved because everybody bashed Apple for not including video recording, Flash, and a host of other features. Turns out, Apple was right. From Day One, people hated on the iPhone b/c it didn't do video recording. "My phone X does can do it since X years ago" blah blah blah. Now, 2 and a half years later, the best competitor the iPhone has seen to date cannot manage to do these same things. It's just a little bit vindicatiing, that's all. Apple doesn't simply withold features for no good reason.
  • Reply 138 of 275
    adjeiadjei Posts: 738member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by Quadra 610 View Post

Apple is dooooomed!

• Reply 139 of 275
    Its because when the iPhone first came out people complained that it missed many features that other phones had had for years. Even though Apple acknowledged that features would be added over time people still complained.

Now the Pre will launch missing some of these same features. Video recording is likely one of those features that will take some time to polish. Flash on the other hand is a plug in owned by Adobe. The problem is that flash is a resource hog. There isn't anything Palm can do to make it any more efficient.

I also just read that copy and paste on the Pre is not universal. You can only copy and paste certain documents, its not a system wide feature.

Quote:
    Originally Posted by chronster View Post

I keep seeing people mentioning the lack of video recording and flash.

One person even went as far as to say the Pre was incapable, and that flash and video encoding would drain the battery (hilariously putting the battery life at 40 minutes.)

Palm has already said that video recording and flash are coming to the Pre. Is it really so difficult for people to understand that these features need some time, just as copy and paste on the iphone did?

• Reply 140 of 275
    lundylundy Posts: 4,466member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by melgross View Post

I read them, but we're getting more than a few complaints about your posting here, and on the related thread.

Therefor, I've responded?mildly.

I'm gonna poof him if he calls one more name. I haven't got time to delete all these complaints.