Review roundup: Palm's Pre and its fledgeling WebOS

Comments

• Reply 161 of 275
    solipsismsolipsism Posts: 25,726member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by JeffDM View Post

I don't know, wouldn't MMS be more money for AT&T? That's part of why I don't really care if it's there or not, I would avoid using it if I can. In the same vein, I would like a way to shut off SMS service, I hadn't found one last I checked.

I just called AT&T. There is no option on the phone, but you can call them and have SMS turned off. The only ones you?ll get are from AT&T about your account. For example, if your payment is late.

Quote:
    Originally Posted by rain View Post

Tekstud has also helped out the community with a lot of good tricks and tips.

• Reply 162 of 275
    cycomikocycomiko Posts: 716member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by GTL215 View Post

I've got no problem waiting for a technology to develop if it's not quite ready for "prime time." But people are legitimately peeved because everybody bashed Apple for not including video recording, Flash, and a host of other features. Turns out, Apple was right. From Day One, people hated on the iPhone b/c it didn't do video recording. "My phone X does can do it since X years ago" blah blah blah. Now, 2 and a half years later, the best competitor the iPhone has seen to date cannot manage to do these same things. It's just a little bit vindicatiing, that's all. Apple doesn't simply withold features for no good reason.

In terms of flash, apple cooked their own pig by making the claim (using the UK version)

You never know which part of the internet you'll need. The do you need sun cream part? The what's the quickest way to the airport part? The what about an ocean view room part? Or the can you really afford this part? Which is why all the parts of the internet are on the iPhone

Do Palm make a similar claim?

In terms of the video, the iphone can do it, its just apple does not let you *yet* which is what I assume palm is doing. But it will probably appear once Apples finally comes out of the woodwork and into the general population.
  • Reply 163 of 275
    gtl215gtl215 Posts: 242member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by JeffDM View Post

I don't know, wouldn't MMS be more money for AT&T?

That's what i mean - who knows? I just don't know why Apple would intentionally limit a feature that people obviously want.

- could be they were waiting on 3g

- could be they had other priorities

- could be....etc.

The whole, "apple wanted everybody using email" is a possibility, but i'm not sure I buy it. They aren't shy about "telling" consumers what we're going to use (no removable battery....dropping firewire from macbooks, etc, for example) but I don't think that's the case here. MMS is too entrenched in the marketplace - there's gotta be another reason.
  • Reply 164 of 275
    melgrossmelgross Posts: 33,510member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by cycomiko View Post

In terms of flash, apple cooked their own pig by making the claim (using the UK version)

You never know which part of the internet you'll need. The do you need sun cream part? The what's the quickest way to the airport part? The what about an ocean view room part? Or the can you really afford this part? Which is why all the parts of the internet are on the iPhone

Do Palm make a similar claim?

In terms of the video, the iphone can do it, its just apple does not let you *yet* which is what I assume palm is doing. But it will probably appear once Apples finally comes out of the woodwork and into the general population.

We would have to read all of Palm's copy to know exactly what they've said. Possibly they've learned from the mistakes of others.

As for video recording, we've seen, on jailbroken phones just how poorly it works. It's a good thing Apple didn't enable it.
  • Reply 165 of 275
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by GTL215 View Post

That's what i mean - who knows? I just don't know why Apple would intentionally limit a feature that people obviously want.

- could be they were waiting on 3g

- could be they had other priorities

- could be....etc.

The whole, "apple wanted everybody using email" is a possibility, but i'm not sure I buy it. They aren't shy about "telling" consumers what we're going to use (no removable battery....dropping firewire from macbooks, etc, for example) but I don't think that's the case here. MMS is too entrenched in the marketplace - there's gotta be another reason.

It wasn't entrenched in the US market two years ago.
  • Reply 166 of 275
    daniel0418daniel0418 Posts: 122member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by al_bundy View Post

i've read they are still having a lot of problems with the SDK that accesses the hardware for things like games. supposedly it crashes the phone to the point where you have to restore your phone.

Apple has it's problems, but it's pretty close to Blizzard in that they don't put out beta products most of the time. or they don't hype features they don't plan to fully implement for another year or so

Okay this is just completely wrong, for 2 major reasons. 1, you made up the whole restore thing about the pre, and 2 did we forget iphone 2.0?!?!?! Don't put out beta software are you kidding me? My iphone was garbage from July-September.

P.S. Blizzard is MUCH better than Apple when it comes to not releasing betas.
  • Reply 167 of 275
    daniel0418daniel0418 Posts: 122member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by coffeetime View Post

So, the Pre's battery life sucks. What a surprise! Didn't Apple say all along that they could do multitasking on the iPhone, but battery life would be severely impacted, and that was a compromise that they didn't want to make? As Mr. Spock once said, "The needs of the many outweigh the needs of the few." In this case, Apple is betting that "the many" represents basic phone use over the course of a day or two, and "the few" would be the few times that the ability to multitask would be handy. I think that's a reasonable bet. Also, the iPhone CAN multitask to a certain degree - how else can you listen to music in the background while playing a game or surfing the web.

Having said all of that, I'd like to see Palm succeed and stay in the game. More choice is always good for the consumer.

If you read the engadget review, they say even with multi tasking and pretty heavy usage throughout a day it gets the same battery life as the iPhone. Apple says the iPhone can't multitask because of battery but we all know because the iphone LAGS enough without multitasking imagine if it could.
  • Reply 168 of 275
    noirdesirnoirdesir Posts: 1,027member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by TenoBell View Post

I cannot say a noticed a huge difference in iPhone battery life after 2.1. Its possibly somewhat better but certainly not dramatically better.

For me the dramatic increase came with 2.2, from barely two days (9AM day 1 until 9PM day 2), to easily three days.
  • Reply 169 of 275
    missiongreymissiongrey Posts: 208member
    When the new iPhone specs come out, it will be a good to final compare the two devices. Considering they will be out with-in weeks of each other. Not very often do tech time tables line up so well to allow a direct comparison.
  • Reply 170 of 275
    noirdesirnoirdesir Posts: 1,027member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by solipsism View Post

It will be, but Palm has been very open about their product and Apple, as usual, hasn?t said anything about the next iPhone HW and associated SW features.

Apple has said a lot about SW features, as in OS 3.0 (not everything for sure, but multiple betas of 3.0 have been seeded, so a lot is know already).
  • Reply 171 of 275
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by Daniel0418 View Post

If you read the engadget review, they say even with multi tasking and pretty heavy usage throughout a day it gets the same battery life as the iPhone. Apple says the iPhone can't multitask because of battery but we all know because the iphone LAGS enough without multitasking imagine if it could.

The Pre has significantly less battery life than the iPhone.

from 20 minutes less for talk, to 2 hours less for video playback, all the way to half the time for music playback, 12 hours vs 24 hours. Several testers have said that they only made it to early evening, and often ran out mid afternoon.

That's not so great.
  • Reply 172 of 275
    One year is huge, as we all know, in a technology's time-line.
  • Reply 173 of 275
    stokessdstokessd Posts: 103member
    The big drawback is Sprint and the network. Sure, you can multitask and use Pandora, but don't expect to get a call while streaming pandora because like EDGE, EVDO is voice OR data. When streaming music or surfing heavily, expect your callers to be dumped directly to voicemail.

Sheldon
  • Reply 174 of 275
    I am surprised they made the keyboard slide down on the Y axis, I would have made it slide on the X axis. Made for more keyboard space.
  • Reply 175 of 275
    Someone brought up visual voice mail. Is that patented by apple?
  • Reply 176 of 275
    tenobelltenobell Posts: 7,014member
    The only way I can see getting that much battery time is by not using web or process intense apps very often.

Quote:
    Originally Posted by noirdesir View Post

For me the dramatic increase came with 2.2, from barely two days (9AM day 1 until 9PM day 2), to easily three days.

• Reply 177 of 275
    tenobelltenobell Posts: 7,014member
    Nope. Verizon has visual voicemail, charge an extra $2 for it

Quote:
    Originally Posted by MissionGrey View Post

• Reply 178 of 275
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by MissionGrey View Post

They have something going on there, but I don't know if it rises to the level of a patent.
  • Reply 179 of 275
    postulantpostulant Posts: 1,272member
    Who cares if the battery only lasts 40 minutes...?? AT LEAST YOU CAN MULTITASK!!!

• Reply 180 of 275
    virgil-tb2virgil-tb2 Posts: 1,416member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by rain View Post

I don't think he's a troll. He has a different opinion then most and I enjoy reading those posts at times. Teckstud has also helped out the community with a lot of good tricks and tips. ...

I'm thinking you aren't reading this forum much lately. You certainly don't post that much.

I read every thread on this site every day. I also read (almost) every comment on the threads because I comment on about 70% or 80% of them.

teckstud has never to my knowledge said much of anything positive at all, and has certainly NEVER, ever given anyone "good advice" or a "tip" on anything.

His posts are almost always one liners, almost always negative and purposely insulting. He regularly takes the opposite position of whatever others are arguing, even if it goes against what he himself had argued previously. Even when he is being "funny" (he thinks I suppose), his jokes are all cruel and nasty. The boy is a complete waste of space IMO in regards actually having anything to say or contribute to the debate.

There is a line in most forums called "the personal insult" which usually gets you frozen or temp banned the first time and kicked out the next time you do it. Teckstud has personally insulted me several times and I've reported him for doing it to others at least a dozen more, yet he is still here.

I enjoy a good debate and knowing that I've done it myself, it's easy to inadvertently get personal or insult others or even to get mad once in a while, but this is not that. This is a person that is uniformly angry and insulting pretty much 24/7 who periodically *controls* himself just enough not to get caught or banned. Totally different story altogether IMO.