Review roundup: Palm's Pre and its fledgeling WebOS

Comments

• Reply 201 of 275
    sennensennen Posts: 1,472member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by Quadra 610 View Post

People still care about swappable batteries? This is 2009. LOL.

lol. so true.

Quote:
    Originally Posted by GTL215 View Post

I've got no problem waiting for a technology to develop if it's not quite ready for "prime time." But people are legitimately peeved because everybody bashed Apple for not including video recording, Flash, and a host of other features. Turns out, Apple was right. From Day One, people hated on the iPhone b/c it didn't do video recording. "My phone X does can do it since X years ago" blah blah blah. Now, 2 and a half years later, the best competitor the iPhone has seen to date cannot manage to do these same things. It's just a little bit vindicatiing, that's all. Apple doesn't simply withold features for no good reason.

i agree with you. Pre has had a further 2 and a half years time for development, with the additional advantage of newer, more powerful hardware and yet still lacks several of the things that people were kicking up a stink over about the iPhone not having. i don't hear the same noise being generated by these people now...
  • Reply 202 of 275
    solipsismsolipsism Posts: 25,726member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by TenoBell View Post

What in the world are you talking about?

MobileMe has nothing directly to do with messaging protocols. MobileMe is about storage and distribution of information.

You know better than to try to communicate with him in a rational and/or technical manner.

Quote:

Just because the phone has a swappable battery does not automatically mean you get a charge right now. You have to have a second battery, the second battery has to be charged, and you have to have the second battery with you, for the swappable battery to be of any value. Meeting all of these circumstances are not necessarily convenient. Which is why most people never change batteries.

Having the plug-in-play battery is more convenient for many people, though they didn?t realize when they first complained about it 2 years ago. The external battery packs don?t have to be kept on the device, they charge the internal battery. This means that a large variety and different types to suit every need can be used and they can be charged along side the iPhone without having to do some crazy swap in the middle of the night, which has always been a pain with extra Mac batteries when traveling. I?d love for an external battery pack to come out for their notebooks.
  • Reply 203 of 275
    addaboxaddabox Posts: 12,665member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by solipsism View Post

I?d love for an external battery pack to come out for their notebooks.

Like this?

• Reply 204 of 275
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by GTL215 View Post

Amen.

Apple gets slammed for built-in batteries in their phones and computers, yet the market inevitably heads in that direction anyway. Apple is the only company taking risks and breaking the status quo.

The Zune doesn’t have a removable battery. It’s inevitable that other companies will move that way, too. Of course, when they do Teckstudian logic states that you’ll have to find a way to blame Apple for it.
  • Reply 205 of 275
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by addabox View Post

Like this?

Perfect! Thanks! Screw swapping batteries on a plane.
  • Reply 206 of 275
    Quote:

The Zune doesn?t have a removable battery. It?s inevitable that other companies will move that way, too. Of course, when they do Teckstudian logic states that you?ll have to find a way to blame Apple for it.

Speaking of which, have you seen a single article that talks about the hidden "Microsoft tax" of having to have the Zune's battery swapped out by a tech?

It's as if, Apple having broken the ice, sealed batteries are just right and proper, even though Apple took endless shit for doing it in the first place.
  • Reply 207 of 275
    Quote:

Speaking of which, have you seen a single article that talks about the hidden "Microsoft tax" of having to have the Zune's battery swapped out by a tech?

That is because it’s clearly all Apple’s fault. If the iPod, with it’s sealed battery, hadn’t forced so many people to buy their inferior, yet ubiquitous, product then the humble Microsoft wouldn’t have had to make a Zune with a sealed battery just to compete.
  • Reply 208 of 275
    Quote:

Perfect! Thanks! Screw swapping batteries on a plane.

Yikes. I linked to that without scrolling down to the prices. Them puppies is expensive.
  • Reply 209 of 275
    teckstudteckstud Posts: 6,476member
    Quote:

The Zune doesn’t have a removable battery. It’s inevitable that other companies will move that way, too. Of course, when they do Teckstudian logic states that you’ll have to find a way to blame Apple for it.

How you fail to not understand that the Zune is not a phone is beyond me.

You quite obviously are comprehension challenged.
  • Reply 210 of 275
    Quote:

What in the world are you talking about?

MobileMe has nothing directly to do with messaging protocols. MobileMe is about storage and distribution of information.

It's also about creating new email accounts to get message a pics as opposed to sending them directly to someone's telephone number which by the way is a hell of a lot easier and wanted, Hence Apple has bowed to public demand this time because the public simply did not buy their game and wanted MMS.
  • Reply 211 of 275
    Quote:

Just because the phone has a swappable battery does not automatically mean you get a charge right now. You have to have a second battery, the second battery has to be charged, and you have to have the second battery with you, for the swappable battery to be of any value. Meeting all of these circumstances are not necessarily convenient. Which is why most people never change batteries.

Dude - people swap batteries all the time in still and video cameras. It's aplus. Just because you can't because Apple won't let you doesn't make it right. How are you gonna get a call when your not near an outlet? I and MANY OTHERS would rather have the option to swap out a battery in an emergency when using a PHONE.

As David Pogue said today in the NY TImes:

Quote:

Quote:

BATTERY. Everyone griped about the iPhone’s permanently sealed battery. The Pre’s battery, however, is easy to swap.

• Reply 212 of 275
    sennensennen Posts: 1,472member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by teckstud View Post

Dude -

but dude, 2 and a half years newer and it doesn't do video, it doesn't do flash and copy/paste is crippled! you should complain to someone.
  • Reply 213 of 275
    Quote:

Yikes. I linked to that without scrolling down to the prices. Them puppies is expensive.

Those prices are what I?d expect for the size and use of the proprietary magsafe connector. The convenience is sealed the deal for me.

Quote:

How you fail to not understand that the Zune is not a phone is beyond me.

You quite obviously are comprehension challenged.

Like you and others didn?t bitch about the iPod not having a replaceable battery, too. Wanting a replaceable battery is fine, but ignoring the other options as if they don?t exist and pretending as if they don?t have their own advantages is just ignorant.
  • Reply 214 of 275
    Adding to the versatility of the Palm Pre a previously undisclosed feature has emerged.
  • Reply 215 of 275
    melgrossmelgross Posts: 33,510member
    Quote:

Several reviewers have mentioned that the Pre is somewhat let down by its hardware, which is variously described as "cheap feeling" or "flimsy." Reviewers have also mentioned the cramped keyboard and inexplicably sharp ridges that surround it.

I have to wonder how that happened-- Palm obviously put a lot of thought into the software, why would they allow their make or break phone go to market with serious ergonomic or durability issues?

I'm not just randomly bashing the Pre, here. Palm obviously made some smart choice in their OS and UI design. But if they tried to cut corners in manufacturing, and the Pre gets a rep as being not durable or awkward, that could be a huge problem. Palm's walking a tightrope, they really have to get this right. If bad word of mouth depresses Sprint sales, Verizon may rethink their deal to carry it.

I also have to wonder about how that slider keyboard is going to work with apps in landscape-- did Palm make anything with text entry non-orientable?

Anyway, all of that are the kinds of things that don't become evident until people are using the phone day to day. Maybe those things are fine-- maybe the phone is perfectly durable despite feeling a little cheap in the hand, maybe the ridges aren't any big deal, maybe people just won't use text entry apps in landscape. Maybe all of those things won't matter because people will dig the OS and UI so much they'll look past any shortcomings (as was the case with the iPhone).

But it really remains to be seen exactly what kind of device this is in everyday life.

It took me almost an hour to get back on the site tonight. Somethings happening with the software or hardware again. It's still slow.

Anyway, to your post.

You bring up a good point about the landscape programs, which I assume they will have.

I say assume, for two reasons; one, I haven't seen them, and two, some of them that would normally be landscape, are not.

The GPS turn app is not, even though you would think it would be.

Possibly, there are fewer than we would expect from a phone with an accelerometer.

The reason for the rim around the bottom and the sides of the keyboard are so when pushed in, the keyboard edges are sealed, and flush against the body of the phone. Not a great design, but I guess it was required from their decision on the shape of the keyboard..

While overall, the Pre seems to have a lot going for it, there are odd lapses as well.

Even with a supposedly faster cpu, a 4 MB PDF freezes the phone.

You can't download MP3s from Amazon through EV-DO.

Lots of problems with video play.

Quite a few others.

While it's a nice first try, as Engadget says, the world has moved on since the first iPhone.
  • Reply 216 of 275
    adjeiadjei Posts: 738member
    Frankly some of the vile hatred against Apple on the Palm sites and labelling all iphone purchasers as "clueless fanboys" is just sickening. The same thing on the blackberry forums. Apple seems to have ruffled their feathers.

www.mypre.com

www.precentral.net

www.palmgoon.com

www.crackberry.com
  • Reply 217 of 275
    Quote:

That is why there exists such a thing called a swappable battery. Besides this, Palm is working on fixing this as you well know since you've been reading the reviews today.

Well, it really NEEDS the replaceable battery.

Palm says they are working on it, but that doesn't mean it can be fixed. Why would you think it could be?

You think they will find, by magic, some major areas in which somehow, they will find more amps, or perhaps they will re-jigger their entire OS and all the programs that come with it?
  • Reply 218 of 275
    Quote:

Not panned- as it is swappable- something the iPhone lacks and has always been written up as a flaw in its design.

per David Pogue in today's NY TImes -

The battery life has been panned. 12 hours music vs 24 hours for the iPhone? That's inexplicable!
  • Reply 219 of 275
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by chronster View Post

Apple has the Newton MessagePad which had copy and paste. It's a different OS with different hardware. That's why they didn't have copy and paste right away. The same can be said about Palm. It's a different OS with different hardware compared to their previous devices. How long has it been since their updated their OS? They had some recent phones, but those used windows mobile.

Either way, I think what you said makes sense, which is why the Pre isn't completely lacking in copy and paste, know what I mean?

The Newton and Messagepad were both ancient technology, and Apple dropped it over ten years ago. Cut and paste on them were completely different, as the OS 's were based on completely different principals. Nothing Apple has done since was based on it.

But Palm has had a continuous history here. I wonder what they are thinking about copy/paste. Maybe it's intentionally "crippled" as it would be called if Apple did it that way.
  • Reply 220 of 275
    slapppyslapppy Posts: 331member
    Quote:

Ouch! If you don't know Mossberg is the quintessential Apple fanboy than that's your ignorance not mine. Go back to your barn - and take your friends with you.

Like I said, who are you to criticize Mossberg. You can't answer it because your just a typical troll. All talk, nothing to back it up. So until you do, your opinion on Mossberg nothing but hot air.