Jobs' return to Apple may hinge on public event

Posted:
in General Discussion edited January 2014
Although Apple has long said its CEO Steve Jobs' return to regular work is slated for late June, a report has the company waiting for a major event before the co-founder truly resumes his post -- one which he briefly risked never seeing again.

Senior managers at the company have supposedly said on Thursday that it wants to time the return for either a product introduction or some other public event, though just what that would entail wasn't provided. Most others, including analysts, don't expect this to involve next week's WWDC keynote; Apple has claimed that Phil Schiller and other executives would jointly host the Monday opening presentation for the developer gathering.

The Wall Street Journal goes so far as to cite other, anonymous sources to support such a view. One claimed eyewitness says Apple's new iPhone is in a sufficient state as to be shown at WWDC and reiterates details that have already been leaked through previous rumors, including a faster processor and video recording with an after-the-fact editing feature.

Even if there is no convenient event to parallel his return, Jobs is believed by those who have recently met him to be healthy enough to meet his official goal of an end-of-June return. The luminary has been seen on campus more than once ahead of this date.

One of those, however, adds color to the story and says that Jobs' official claim of a hormonal imbalance in January was accurate, but that it was more grave than portrayed in the executive's open letter. While it's true that the difference was denying Jobs necessary protein, the decay was enough that it could have been deadly without the "corrective action" taken after months of related health problems.

"Fundamentally he was starving to death over a nine-month period," the apparent insider says, also echoing reports of weekly physician updates to keep Apple executives up to date.

Apple, of course, declines to elaborate either on any event details or on Jobs' health beyond its months-old official statements.

Comments

• Reply 1 of 43
  • Reply 2 of 43
    surely there can't be an entirely separate event for an umb update, can there?

i'm waiting with baited breath for the update before I buy, and I'm really hoping it's coming monday morning.
  • Reply 3 of 43
    gmacgmac Posts: 79member
    Jobs return is THE event. No need for a product to go along with it. Put him out on stage, have him say "Boom". Done. That would send the stock through the roof.
  • Reply 4 of 43
    solipsismsolipsism Posts: 25,726member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by justlikeglass View Post

surely there won't be an entirely separate event for an umb update, can there?

i'm waiting with baited breath for the update before I buy, and I'm really hoping it's coming monday morning.

I don?t know what you meant to say with ?umb update? but a Snow Leopard and iPhone Video preview are expected late Tuesday morning PST.
  • Reply 5 of 43
    solipsismsolipsism Posts: 25,726member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by Gmac View Post

Jobs return is THE event. No need for a product to go along with it. Put him out on stage, have him say "Boom". Done. That would send the stock through the roof.

All joking aside, you?ve got to hand it to Apple to spin a sick CEO into their marketing engine.
  • Reply 6 of 43
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by solipsism View Post

I don?t know what you meant to say with ?umb update? but a Snow Leopard and iPhone Video preview are expected late Tuesday morning PST.

umb=unibody macbook
  • Reply 7 of 43
    kenaustuskenaustus Posts: 924member
    I can only wish Steve Jobs well. Been through 2 cancers, as has my wife, and I have a huge admiration for someone who can go through the challenges he has and still be able to be productive in his work at Apple. People who have not faced these challenges simply cannot understand the achievements of Jobs since his diagnosis.

As for WWDC, I would love Phil to say, "One More Thing" and have Steve walk out on stage and say hello. That would be the best One More Thing that we have ever had!
  • Reply 8 of 43
    mdriftmeyermdriftmeyer Posts: 7,503member
    Perhaps the new AppleTV and more?
  • Reply 9 of 43
    pmoeserpmoeser Posts: 80member
    I don't see why Apple would use Steve to announce a new product.

The financial press have punished their share price by hinging everything on his shoulders.

Apple have done just fine without him and I doubt he'd want to steal any thunder.

Schiller, Cook et al will make the announcements and Steve might show up on the actual day the phones are released. But he won't make the announcement.

Unless he decided a 10" touch screen device would have been nice to have while he was lying in bed recovering...
  • Reply 10 of 43
    You know most people just go back to work after being sick. They do not get an orchestrated event for this
  • Reply 11 of 43
    brucepbrucep Posts: 2,823member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by kenaustus View Post

I can only wish Steve Jobs well. Been through 2 cancers, as has my wife, and I have a huge admiration for someone who can go through the challenges he has and still be able to be productive in his work at Apple. People who have not faced these challenges simply cannot understand the achievements of Jobs since his diagnosis.

As for WWDC, I would love Phil to say, "One More Thing" and have Steve walk out on stage and say hello. That would be the best One More Thing that we have ever had!

I also have just recovered from cancer. I am still feeble and weak months later .

Hey ken I wish you and your wife good health. and of course steve too .

peace

• Reply 12 of 43
    nvidia2008nvidia2008 Posts: 9,262member
    Jobs won't be at WWDC. But he will be at probably some event inbetween WWDC and Christmas ~ possible Mac tablet announcement, otherwise, some other goodies to sustain interest post-new-iPhone-madness.
  • Reply 13 of 43
    maddogukmaddoguk Posts: 4member
    Although he did a good job in the past, I think that's where Steve belongs.

Apple needs new blood and new ideas.
  • Reply 14 of 43
    hiimamachiimamac Posts: 584member
    Quote:

we all know 1st :40 minutes will be Apple patting themself in the back about the app store and sales. That said, am happy, a little, he is coming back but glad be is okay.
  • Reply 15 of 43
    ghostface147ghostface147 Posts: 1,629member
    They are doing just fine without him. Perhaps he needs to stay behind the scenes and be a consultant or something to that effect.
  • Reply 16 of 43
    gtl215gtl215 Posts: 242member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by mdriftmeyer View Post

i would LOVE that.
  • Reply 17 of 43
    gtl215gtl215 Posts: 242member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by pmoeser View Post

The financial press have punished their share price by hinging everything on his shoulders.

Apple stock is up 60 some-odd % since jobs went on leave, versus 20-something % for the broader NASDAQ market.
  • Reply 18 of 43
    kinglearkinglear Posts: 4member
    It all fits. If Steve is OK for end of June he is OK next week. The BIG theater of Steve being a surprise speaker to introduce the new iPhones is classic. Steve likes to beat expectations. His team has shown its capability without him, no further point to make there. I would not be short going in to Monday.
  • Reply 19 of 43
    anantksundaramanantksundaram Posts: 20,404member
    Quote:

Yeah. Except it'll go "Bust" when the reverse happens, as we know it (unfortunately and inevitably) will, one day.

I think it is time for SJ to adopt a "wise elder" role at Apple, and start to disengage himself visibly and gently from day-to-day strategy setting and implementation.
  • Reply 20 of 43
    anantksundaramanantksundaram Posts: 20,404member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by mdriftmeyer View Post

That would be really nice!