Review roundup: Palm's Pre and its fledgeling WebOS

Comments

• Reply 221 of 275
    drdbdrdb Posts: 99member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by teckstud View Post

How are you gonna get a call when your not near an outlet?

Errr dude, by having a phone that lasts more than 40 minutes on one charge. This isn't even just about Apple, I have a Samsung phone and the thing lasts more than enough time to get me through without having to swap a battery. You're obsessed and think everyone else is equally obsessed about the same crap.
  • Reply 222 of 275
    jousterjouster Posts: 460member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by Roos24 View Post

I've quoted this article here before:

http://247wallst.com/2009/04/15/twel...ill-disappear/

so let's see who will be laughing at the end of the year.

I have to say that I hit "reply" to be skeptical - and I still doubt they will fold by the end of the year as the article says - but I was unaware of how bad things are for them. $91m revenue for the quarter ending Feb 1? Wow. That's *revenue*, not profit.

I hope they prosper. Seems like the Pre has some excellent features.
  • Reply 223 of 275
    gtl215gtl215 Posts: 242member
    Quote:

It's also about creating new email accounts to get message a pics as opposed to sending them directly to someone's telephone number which by the way is a hell of a lot easier and wanted, Hence Apple has bowed to public demand this time because the public simply did not buy their game and wanted MMS.

I guess you're back from your Time-Out.

MobileMe existed long before the iPhone as .Mac....they saw the iPhone as an opportunity to tweak the features in a way that makes mobile phones more connected with our computers. MobileMe was NOT "created" as a means of distributing picture messages. That is an absolutely insane proposition.
  • Reply 224 of 275
    chronsterchronster Posts: 1,894member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by melgross View Post

The Newton and Messagepad were both ancient technology, and Apple dropped it over ten years ago. Cut and paste on them were completely different, as the OS 's were based on completely different principals. Nothing Apple has done since was based on it.

But Palm has had a continuous history here. I wonder what they are thinking about copy/paste. Maybe it's intentionally "crippled" as it would be called if Apple did it that way.

Well it's been like 5 years or so since they updated PalmOS. Given that it hasn't been touched in half the amount of time as Apple's touched their messagepad, it seems fitting that the copy and paste function is at least present (if only slightly.) You see what I'm getting at? Like the farther away a company drifts from their previous software, the less present the copy and paste is in their next release LOL

The copy and paste thing on a smart phone is a must, and it's a damn shame Palm doesn't have it fully working, but because it's an important feature, it's probably at the top of their list of things to get to. I know I sound like I'm making excuses for them, but after seeing how things work with devices like this, I think the Pre 1.0's copy and paste is pretty good for right out of the gate. WebOS is a brand new OS afterall.

I think people forget that while Apple was getting bashed, it was only because fanboys were touting it as the "best phone in the world." If the general attitude had been a bit more humble, perhaps these arguments wouldn't been so intense.
  • Reply 225 of 275
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by Adjei View Post

Frankly some of the vile hatred against Apple on the Palm sites and labelling all iphone purchasers as "clueless fanboys" is just sickening. The same thing on the blackberry forums. Apple seems to have ruffled their feathers.

www.mypre.com

www.precentral.net

www.palmgoon.com

www.crackberry.com

Same thing can be said about the stuff I've seen here. There will always be people on each extreme end of the argument. It makes more sense to use logic and facts instead of emotion when speaking about technology.

I don't know why people get so upset about these toys.
  • Reply 226 of 275
    nofeernofeer Posts: 2,427member
    both apple and pre are getting tons of hype (sorry rim, nokia and sony)

both are "coming out" soon,

palm may not have that many out there given the hype (sprint and palm are already lowering expectations "we don't want long lines"

battery life is being panned

if i was a pre buyer i'd check the return policy

AND

wait for the info on the new iphone

when the iphone came out it there was a vacuum

no vacuum now

who would buy and committ to any new unproven product when rim iphone are staring them in the face? to be an early adopter?

i think as the hype continues any pre or even new iphone purchases will keep flexible and wait a bit longer to let the dust settle and check both return policies
  • Reply 227 of 275
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by NOFEER View Post

if i was a pre buyer i'd check the return policy

The standard things to remember:

Sprint gives you 30 days to test a phone or send it back for a refund.

New Sprint users have 30 days to test the Sprint service before being able to cancel the account and avoid the ETF (early termination fee.)

Now the untold thing to remember:

When you buy a phone online from Sprint, not only does your 30 days for testing the phone start, but the 30 days to test the service as well. This includes the time that it takes to ship the phone out to you. If you buy a phone online from Sprint's website, and it takes a week to get to you, be prepared to only have 3 weeks to really test the phone. If you go over the 30 days, even by one hour, you have to pay a $200 ETF.
  • Reply 228 of 275
    tenobelltenobell Posts: 7,014member
    Very few of us here have declared the iPhone, "the best phone in the world." Most of us have some type of wish list of things we would like Apple to change or add to the iPhone. Most of us are encouraging Apple's competitors, such as Google, RIM, and Palm.

Most of the posters who most harshly bashed the iPhone when it was first released don't seem to post anymore since the iPhone has been such a success. Or as features are added give people less things to complain about.

Quote:
    Originally Posted by chronster View Post

I think people forget that while Apple was getting bashed, it was only because fanboys were touting it as the "best phone in the world." If the general attitude had been a bit more humble, perhaps these arguments wouldn't been so intense.

• Reply 229 of 275
    I would say the majority of posters here are reasonable. Its not very likely someone will get attacked if they say they like another phone over the iPhone. Posters have stated many times that the iPhone may not be for everyone and competition is good.

I think it gets more heated on this site when people make uninformed and unreasonable complaints or comparisons. Which happens all the time.

I think AI is quite a bit more civilized than many other sites, such as Engadget or BoyGeniusReport.

Quote:

Same thing can be said about the stuff I've seen here. There will always be people on each extreme end of the argument. It makes more sense to use logic and facts instead of emotion when speaking about technology.

I don't know why people get so upset about these toys.

• Reply 230 of 275
    meelashmeelash Posts: 1,045member
    Quote:

Dude, are you shi**ing me? Are you telling me the iPhone was not and is not the best shipping phone in the world overall? Not particular features, but in overall experience?

Noone ever said it was "perfect." No one ever said it was good for every single person's needs. No one said it didn't have any feature requests. But overall best? Hell, yeah. I'll still say that, and really no one in their right mind can disagree.

Arguments were just intense because Apple-bashers were just jealous.

And anyway, it's not even appropriate for us to be humble. It's not like we designed the phone or something. We're praising someone else's work, what does humbleness have to do with that?
  • Reply 231 of 275
    melgrossmelgross Posts: 33,510member
    Quote:

Well it's been like 5 years or so since they updated PalmOS. Given that it hasn't been touched in half the amount of time as Apple's touched their messagepad, it seems fitting that the copy and paste function is at least present (if only slightly.) You see what I'm getting at? Like the farther away a company drifts from their previous software, the less present the copy and paste is in their next release LOL

The copy and paste thing on a smart phone is a must, and it's a damn shame Palm doesn't have it fully working, but because it's an important feature, it's probably at the top of their list of things to get to. I know I sound like I'm making excuses for them, but after seeing how things work with devices like this, I think the Pre 1.0's copy and paste is pretty good for right out of the gate. WebOS is a brand new OS afterall.

As long as we don't scream at each other, the intensity is enjoyable.

My point is that as Palm has had, and worked with C/P for so long, it's surprising that they didn't have a much better idea of what they were doing here.

Don't forget that they also worked on Cobalt for several years. In fact, that was supposed to supplant OS 5. So they have had plenty of smartphone OS experience to draw from. This is the third entirely different smartphone OS for them. It's the first for Apple.
  • Reply 232 of 275
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by meelash View Post

Dude, are you shi**ing me? Are you telling me the iPhone was not and is not the best shipping phone in the world overall? Not particular features, but in overall experience?

Noone ever said it was "perfect." No one ever said it was good for every single person's needs. No one said it didn't have any feature requests. But overall best? Hell, yeah. I'll still say that, and really no one in their right mind can disagree.

Arguments were just intense because Apple-bashers were just jealous.

And anyway, it's not even appropriate for us to be humble. It's not like we designed the phone or something. We're praising someone else's work, what does humbleness have to do with that?

See, posts like this are exactly what I'm talking about, and the reason why people felt the need to point out the iPhone's short comings and bring delusional thoughts like this back down to earth.

I can disagree the iPhone is the "best" because I can use common sense. Best is a very opinionated statement to make about anything. If the iPhone was the "best" I'd still have one. Now I have a phone that I consider the best.

So people here are wondering why copy and paste was brought up as a flaw in the iPhone, and here you are saying the iPhone is the best and that nobody in their right mind can disagree. Amazing.

As far as praising someone's work: That's fine and all, but it doesn't stop there. A lot of people act as if only morons buy anything other than the iPhone when given a choice. I could do the same thing with any product. You don't drive a Ford? Well nobody in their right mind would disagree with me when I say Fords are the best! So in turn, anyone who doesn't buy ford is out of their mind!

Quote:
    Originally Posted by melgross View Post

As long as we don't scream at each other, the intensity is enjoyable.

My point is that as Palm has had, and worked with C/P for so long, it's surprising that they didn't have a much better idea of what they were doing here.

Don't forget that they also worked on Cobalt for several years. In fact, that was supposed to supplant OS 5. So they have had plenty of smartphone OS experience to draw from. This is the third entirely different smartphone OS for them. It's the first for Apple.

It appears they did have a better idea what they were doing here as there is SOME form of copy and paste instead of a total lack thereof lol. It's not fully functional for the entire device, but the device isn't even out yet. Updates will be rolling down the pipes and this isn't something people will let go unnoticed. Palm will have to address this, especially since the iPhone 3.0 OS will have universal copy and paste. Or I could be wrong and 2 years from now it's another reason why the Pre isn't taken seriously :P

I was just thinking about it, and without my physical keyboard (for cntrl+v or cntrl+c) I wouldn't have universal copy and paste in windows mobile, not without using some third party app that let me bring up an edit menu for any text box. I've seen a few text boxes that have no menu associated with them.
  • Reply 233 of 275
    meelashmeelash Posts: 1,045member
    Quote:

See, posts like this are exactly what I'm talking about, and the reason why people felt the need to point out the iPhone's short comings and bring delusional thoughts like this back down to earth.

I can disagree the iPhone is the "best" because I can use common sense. Best is a very opinionated statement to make about anything. If the iPhone was the "best" I'd still have one. Now I have a phone that I consider the best.

So people here are wondering why copy and paste was brought up as a flaw in the iPhone, and here you are saying the iPhone is the best and that nobody in their right mind can disagree. Amazing.

Copy and paste was brought up as a flaw in the iPhone because it was a single feature that a lot of people wanted. Lots of those people bringing it up still had an iPhone!

A single missing feature does not make the whole phone not the "best" although it may cause some people, for whom that single feature is important, to choose another phone.

There is absolutely no question that with or without copy and paste, when the iPhone was released it was unparalleled by any other consumer phone.

That doesn't mean that you couldn't find a thinner phone. Or a more durable phone. Or a wider phone. Or a phone that flipped shut for better protection. Or a phone with better call quality. Or a longer battery-life having phone. Or a phone with a louder ringer. etc. etc.

But taking the average of all features and usability factors, the iPhone was and is without question the best phone available.

What does every new smart phone review compare the phone to? And have they ever concluded that they are better yet?

Saying that whatever phone you have is overall better than the iPhone because it has some individual feature that is important to you, personally, that it does better is just stupid.

There can be such a thing as being overall, objectively best. And the iPhone is IT right now.
  • Reply 234 of 275
    I will agree that what is considered the "best" is subjective opinion. I don't think everyone honestly finds the iPhone the best phone for them. There is nothing wrong with that.

What I also agree with is that the iPhone brought a revolutionary change to the mobile industry in the way phones are designed and marketed. That part can't be disputed. The evidence to support this is in the growth of touchscreen phones and every platform developing an app store of some type. For the past 2 years every new phone and OS has been compared to the iPhone.

Essentially the praise for the Pre isn't just based on the Pre itself, the praise for the Pre is mostly based on the fact that it is closest to the iPhone.

Quote:

There is absolutely no question that with or without copy and paste, when the iPhone was released it was unparalleled by any other consumer phone.

Saying that whatever phone you have is overall better than the iPhone because it has some individual feature that is important to you, personally, that it does better is just stupid.

• Reply 235 of 275
    Quote:

Copy and paste was brought up as a flaw in the iPhone because it was a single feature that a lot of people wanted. Lots of those people bringing it up still had an iPhone!

A single missing feature does not make the whole phone not the "best" although it may cause some people, for whom that single feature is important, to choose another phone.

That doesn't mean that you couldn't find a thinner phone. Or a more durable phone. Or a wider phone. Or a phone that flipped shut for better protection. Or a phone with better call quality. Or a longer battery-life having phone. Or a phone with a louder ringer. etc. etc.

But taking the average of all features and usability factors, the iPhone was and is without question the best phone available.

What does every new smart phone review compare the phone to? And have they ever concluded that they are better yet?

There can be such a thing as being overall, objectively best. And the iPhone is IT right now.

You should read my posts above. I already made the point that most of the people who complained about the copy and paste feature were iphone owners. I can tell you've read the last couple of posts I've made, and now you think I'm headed down some drawn out repetitive argument that you MUST join in on.

You really are the embodiment of what I'm talking about. You call me stupid, and yet here you are with the short sightedness to call the iPhone best because phone reviews bring it up. It's not possible the iPhone is popular, no, it's gotta be BEST!

Here's what's stupid: Actually listening to someone like you when deciding what phone to buy. The fact is, best IS opinionated, and you can't argue which phone is BEST. The iPhone has been very popular, and it's done a lot of things right. I won't discredit the iphone's appeal to the mass audience and the effect it's had on competitors, but here's the thing, if the toyota corolla is the most popular car on the road, does it make it the best?

The iphone is a great phone, there are plenty of other great phones, but it is not the best phone (I wouldn't give any phone the title of "best phone.") The most popular? Sure. The hottest smartphone of the past 2 years? Definitely. The best phone ever made? Wait a second. What can the iPhone do that my Touch Pro can't? What are the things my Touch Pro can do the iphone can't?

So before you call someone stupid, why don't you take a step back and see the idiocy in debating over an opinionated statement.
  • Reply 236 of 275
    teckstudteckstud Posts: 6,476member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by drdb View Post

Errr dude, by having a phone that lasts more than 40 minutes on one charge. This isn't even just about Apple, I have a Samsung phone and the thing lasts more than enough time to get me through without having to swap a battery. You're obsessed and think everyone else is equally obsessed about the same crap.

Not obsessed at all - but you and your ilk on here are in denial biig time if you don't think a swappable battery on a muti-function device serves a purpose.

What? do you think companies make them just to irk you?
  • Reply 237 of 275
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by GTL215 View Post

MobileMe existed long before the iPhone as .Mac....they saw the iPhone as an opportunity to tweak the features in a way that makes mobile phones more connected with our computers. MobileMe was NOT "created" as a means of distributing picture messages. That is an absolutely insane proposition.

Dude- you miss the point again. Why do you think you are finally getting MMS - after 2 years?
  • Reply 238 of 275
    I can't believe the Pre is a slider! I always thoght Apple should have manufactured a slider version of the iPhone -and this very close to it. Bravo to Palm.

At first I thought it was just a keyboard that extended from it. but now I see that it is a full slider phone! I am salivating!

BTW-The screen is supposed to be breathtaking.
  • Reply 239 of 275
    Quote:

I can't believe the Pre is a slider! I always thoght Apple should have manufactured a slider version of the iPhone -and this very close to it. Bravo to Palm.

At first I thought it was just a keyboard that extended from it. but now I see that it is a full slider phone! I am salivating!

The problem I have with the slide out kb is that when in landscape, sliding the keyboard forces portrait. When I'm browsing the web on my phone, I can do either or, but sliding the keyboard out forces landscape, and it just feels like it makes sense that way, like a keyboard in front of a computer screen. That's actually something that makes me not want the Pre since browsing the web in landscape is a bit more comfortable.
  • Reply 240 of 275
    The problem with a slider phone is that its a movable part that will wear out and is more easily be broken when dropped.

Newer OLED screens will blow the iPhone 3G and Pre screens out of the water.

Quote: