The Official? WWDC Prediction Thread

1235

Comments

  • Reply 81 of 109
    Looking at all the 0% offers and free iPhone give away offers over at the Apple store, I'd say there'll be bumps of Macbooks, Pros and iMacs. Seeing as how the deals are being pushed most at students they'll probably announce the tablet thing as well, which students should be most likely to lap-up.



    Certainly feels like a stock clearance over at the store.
  • Reply 82 of 109
    sequitursequitur Posts: 1,901member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by womblingfree View Post


    Looking at all the 0% offers and free iPhone give away offers over at the Apple store, I'd say there'll be bumps of Macbooks, Pros and iMacs. Seeing as how the deals are being pushed most at students they'll probably announce the tablet thing as well, which students should be most likely to lap-up.



    Certainly feels like a stock clearance over at the store.



    Was that an intended pun?
  • Reply 83 of 109
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by wizard69 View Post


    Well I'm hopeful but expect updates to happen in the same way as the past. That is iPhone now and Touches in a couple months. So if not a tablet now hopefully in a few months.



    Steves back, no news about a tablet. thats how i see it. Tablet at best some time next year, IF it actually exists, but NO WHERE have i read what the killer app for it IS, you know the ONE thing it does better than anything else on the market?? aint there.



    Quote:
    Originally Posted by wizard69 View Post


    I think we have heard about most of what is coming. For example the enhanced finder that can play back video content in an icon. In otherwords SL, given enough cores, will leverage that power to deliver enhanced core system features.



    I'd be very surprised to see resolution independence as I really see it as a bridge to far. Apple would want to get all the core features of SL stabilized first and then leverage that for Rez Indy. Of course if I'm proven wrong here I'm not going to complain.



    I guess its the fanboy in my wants "something more" when SL gets its "last" demo however (he said hedging his bets )



    IF THERE IS A TABLET and with all the back and forth about it being full OSX or iPhone OS X "pro" and hence one way or another able to run current iPhone apps, I think that would put more pressure to add RI into SL, then theres this new hardware we all "need" on the mac end, do you think the screens on new laptops /iMacs will have a higher Rez?? because as it is my eyes are giving me the "fed up squinting" feedback, yeah I KNOW get some glasses.. but really, I think we are reaching a point where the limit is being reached RI IS coming... please Steve make it NOW!



    Quote:
    Originally Posted by wizard69 View Post




    I suspect that Apple would do well to simply enhance core features like Finder, quicktiime and other features that are a bit aged.



    well that seems to be ticking along nicely, from all the leaks



    Quote:
    Originally Posted by wizard69 View Post


    ZFS is likely a bit off in the future for general usage. That doesn't mean it would be delivered as an option though. Still I think Apple will have a heck of a time just with SL public goals. Let's face it 64 bit, OpenCL Grand Central and the other announced features are a major undertaking. Apple would do well to keep focused on it's public commitments.



    Like you though I'm not clued in with the developmental versions of SL. So I can't really say what is up with SL but it is just a general feeling that the core of this update is very important to Apple.



    the core update is important, I get what you are saying, I'm just adding that it might be important to do it all NOW, so that ZFS is built in from the get go



    Quote:
    Originally Posted by wizard69 View Post




    I don't know about the cloud but I like Mobile Me. I'm not sure how one would improve it.



    me neither, but I'm sure it will, cos I'm not sold on it yet TBH



    What I would like to see Apple do is to start supporting mesh computing. That is Mesh WiFI or adhoc networking. Especially now that they seem to have all their portables WIFI working correctly.



    The other thing I'd like to see is that Apple deliver an app store for Mac OS. It would be ideal for the distribution of limited demand applications. Unfortunately I haven't heard much along these lines.





    Dave[/QUOTE]
  • Reply 84 of 109
    wizard69wizard69 Posts: 12,720member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by Walter Slocombe View Post


    Steves back, no news about a tablet. thats how i see it.



    What does Steve have to do with it. More so if Apple was making a major move with a pet project of Steves, he would have to be back right?

    Quote:

    Tablet at best some time next year, IF it actually exists, but NO WHERE have i read what the killer app for it IS, you know the ONE thing it does better than anything else on the market?? aint there.



    I've said before a tablets success will depend on it being a device that consumes information for the user. It is NOT a machine for the production of documents. This it needs to do the basics like E-Mail and web but it also needs that killer app as you say.



    I'm actually thinking apps here with the following examples for your consideration:

    1. Ebook reader

    2. Movie play back (video iPod)

    3. Gaming.

    4. Navigation.



    Ideally the unit will accel at all four of the above. Supporting these apps is important but so is the need to have right sized devices. My biggest fear is that Apple will release one machine that is to big to grab consummer attention.

    Quote:







    I guess its the fanboy in my wants "something more" when SL gets its "last" demo however (he said hedging his bets )



    Ideally niether SL nor intel hardware would be in the device.

    Quote:



    IF THERE IS A TABLET and with all the back and forth about it being full OSX or iPhone OS X "pro" and hence one way or another able to run current iPhone apps, I think that would put more pressure to add RI into SL, then theres this new hardware we all "need" on the mac end, do you think the screens on new laptops /iMacs will have a higher Rez?? because as it is my eyes are giving me the "fed up squinting" feedback, yeah I KNOW get some glasses.. but really, I think we are reaching a point where the limit is being reached RI IS coming... please Steve make it NOW!



    The squinting only gets worst with age. Which is one reason I think Apples approach to netbooks is right.

    Quote:







    well that seems to be ticking along nicely, from all the leaks







    the core update is important, I get what you are saying, I'm just adding that it might be important to do it all NOW, so that ZFS is built in from the get go



    Yes but you need a stable and debugged core to build on. I really see SL setting the Mac up for a long future. That is it will be a base to build new tech on.



    Quote:







    me neither, but I'm sure it will, cos I'm not sold on it yet TBH




    I'm sold on mobile me as it is working well now. I like the way I can sync iPhone through it to my MBP. With the downturn I've dropped a number of "services" but not mobile me. I'm only slightly annoyed by the price. On the other hand the mail services is first rate.



    Dave
  • Reply 85 of 109
    wizard69wizard69 Posts: 12,720member
    With the Mac Book update last week and the iTunes update today it looks like Apple is prepping for a very interesting WWDC. Makes you wonder what they have ready to update tomorrow. That would be Tuesday the normal update day. If nothing else Apple is getting smart about not releasing all the updates on the same day.



    I'm still wondering if they will go for an iPhone Pro device. That is a higher performance iPhone to fill the role of a Newton 2. Well it would be a bit more advanced than the old newton obviously, but the idea is that it would put far more capability in your pocket than you currently imagine for a cell phone, even a smart one.



    The report on the models with different Flash capacity might be misleading as I'm not sure that the available flash size would constitute a model. In other words I'm thinking we might get 4 distinctly different models with different sized storage systems. OK wishful thinking but Apple has to get serious about its model line up if they expect to compete against Nokia. One iPhone model isn't going to take them to the top of the cell phone manufacturing heap.



    I'm actually wondering if one of those phones will end up being iPhone Nano, that is a Nano with cell capability built in. It is actually a nicely sized platform for that, plus its popular. They could do a Nano either on the current OS or a version of Mobile OS. I think it is a mistake to assume that every Apple cell phone has to be derived from iPhone. With a bit of care Nano could be a very functional cell phone, even without the advanced iPhone apps.







    Dave
  • Reply 86 of 109
    dhagan4755dhagan4755 Posts: 2,148member
    Well, no updates today. This means that the notebook lineup will definitely be a part of the keynote. This is based purely on the fact that the white MacBook got the 500GB hard drive option last week, and yet, the rest of the line up maxes out at 320GB still. That just reeks of peculiar. Possibilities abound...



    Lower Pricing?

    3G WWAN?

    Built-in batteries like the 17" MBP?

    Matte display option on 13" and 15"?

    16:9 aspect ratio displays?

    Carbon fiber bottom plate?
  • Reply 87 of 109
    hobbithobbit Posts: 532member
    - Not to forget that fabled 14" or 15" OLED display which IMHO might still show up in a high-end MacBook Air variant.

    - And I would like to see a BluRay drive option in conjunction with Pro app updates (so you can actually write a BluRay you authored). At least for the 17" MBP.

    - Quad-core high-end option for the 17" MBP. Literally everyone else has such an option...
  • Reply 88 of 109
    wizard69wizard69 Posts: 12,720member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by DHagan4755 View Post


    Well, no updates today. This means that the notebook lineup will definitely be a part of the keynote. This is based purely on the fact that the white MacBook got the 500GB hard drive option last week, and yet, the rest of the line up maxes out at 320GB still. That just reeks of peculiar. Possibilities abound...



    A plain old disk up date I can see but that can also be done anytime.

    Quote:



    Lower Pricing?

    3G WWAN?

    Built-in batteries like the 17" MBP?

    Matte display option on 13" and 15"?

    16:9 aspect ratio displays?

    Carbon fiber bottom plate?



    Some of those idea I can't see if it requires a new motherboard. Apple can't afford only 6 months on a board.



    However things that require case changes could happen anytime considering the CNC process. However I'm not expecting a lot on current production machines.





    Dave
  • Reply 89 of 109
    wizard69wizard69 Posts: 12,720member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by hobBIT View Post


    - Not to forget that fabled 14" or 15" OLED display which IMHO might still show up in a high-end MacBook Air variant.



    Maybe even at a price point that is justified! Really though such an update along with addressing other issues the AIR has could go a long way to changing my opinion of the device.

    Quote:

    - And I would like to see a BluRay drive option in conjunction with Pro app updates (so you can actually write a BluRay you authored). At least for the 17" MBP



    That would be a surprise I'd like to see as some certainly need it. Personally I don't but at least I can acknowledge the need.

    Quote:

    - Quad-core high-end option for the 17" MBP. Literally everyone else has such an option...



    Yeah this is huge. What is the sense in delivering a vastly improved OS and not having hardware for it to run on. I was livid about Apples iMac update because there was no excuse there. With intels new release today I'm affraid all we will get is a speed bumped dual core.



    Nothing to sneeze at for the current MBP but not what Apple needs to support it's new OS. What is the point of improved SMP and threading performance in a new OS if your pro hardware doesn't support it.





    Dave
  • Reply 90 of 109
    dhagan4755dhagan4755 Posts: 2,148member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by wizard69 View Post


    A plain old disk up date I can see but that can also be done anytime.



    True. I can't believe I'm saying it. I started this thread outlining pretty much what I thought was going to happen and notebooks weren't even part of the equation. But all signs point to "yes."



    I'm not saying that revamped notebooks are going to be a major part of the show. Just a glancing blow. Apple can segue into it quite nicely when they are talking about how well Apple's business is doing. I can hear it now.



    Lower pricing, built-in batteries, a matte display option, a 16:9 ratio display, nor a carbon fiber bottom plate don't have anything to to with the logic board.



    And perhaps the 3G WWAN won't come until Snow Leopard's out the door.



    But if you look at the rumor mill, there's quite a bit out there other than the 500GB disc option. If all you're doing is adding the 500GB disc as an option, why wasn't it done when bumping the white MacBook?



    Speaking of that, why is the low-end $999 MacBook better than the low-end aluminum now in specs?



    Do you need more rationale?



    MacBook Air to get built-in 3G?

    Snow Leopard to support native 3G Wireless WAN hardware

    Apple Researching Carbon Fiber Composite Materials for Exterior Shells

    Apple may turn to carbon fiber for lighter MacBook Air

    ViewSonic bows 16:9

    MacBook Pro rebranding?
  • Reply 91 of 109
    amorphamorph Posts: 7,112member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by DHagan4755 View Post


    Speaking of that, why is the low-end $999 MacBook better than the low-end aluminum now in specs?



    Cracked me up when I saw that. The immediate reason is obvious enough: the white MacBooks had their old board until Apple ran out of stock, at which point they were upgraded to the low-end aluminum MacBook's board. Now that's run out, except for existing stock of the $1299 MacBook, which I imagine got squeezed hard by its identically-spec'd white sibling.



    Given how well the white MacBook is selling Apple had no choice but to roll that upgrade first. I guess they're still hoping that the remainder of their stock of aluminum MacBooks sell out on, I don't know, their good looks.



    As I recall, it's educational buying season. Time for new MacBooks. Still, the glimpse into per-model sales data is kind of interesting. My guess is that the white MacBook is going to stick around for a while. Apple might even rebrand the high-end MacBook as a 13" MacBook Pro (after giving it that nice new screen, a second GPU and a few more ports) and revert the MacBook to its old white self. Steve may not like it, but there's only one reason why the white MacBook got bumped first: It sold out first.
  • Reply 92 of 109
    flounderflounder Posts: 2,674member
    Yup. A good friend of mine just ordered a new white macbook to replace his 9 YEAR OLD black G3 powerbook (still running OS 9).



    While the aluminum macbooks look good and have the nifty trackpad and what not, they sure as hell aren't $300 worth of good.
  • Reply 93 of 109
    nofeernofeer Posts: 2,422member
    MB-White has firewire, that's the one i recommend to buyers
  • Reply 94 of 109
    frank777frank777 Posts: 5,780member
    Yeah, if they put FW back onboard, sales of the 13" unibody should take off.
  • Reply 95 of 109
    hmurchisonhmurchison Posts: 12,228member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by Frank777 View Post


    Yeah, if they put FW back onboard, sales of the 13" unibody should take off.



    Yes it would because I view the current Unibody as just a bad deal. With FW800 it becomes expensive but at least more functional.
  • Reply 96 of 109
    So now you can get a White Macbook with 4GB ram, 500GB HDD, and firewire for £150 less than an alluminium Macbook with 4GB ram, 320GB HDD and no firewire.







    Gotta be some serious upgrades round the corner, but they'll never bring firewire back in that model I'd doubt, so the WHite Macbook's seriously attractive right now.
  • Reply 97 of 109
    crentistcrentist Posts: 204member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by Aizmov View Post


    iPhone OS 3.0

    Snow Leopard

    new iPhone



    One more thing:

    Apple TV act 3 and the launch of the Apple TV SDK



    I can see this happening.



    For crying out loud, surely Apple wants users to be able read their email/news feeds and check their stocks/local weather on the big screen, right?
  • Reply 98 of 109
    sybariticsybaritic Posts: 340member
    The "One more thing" may very well be the reappearance of Steve.
  • Reply 99 of 109
    hobbithobbit Posts: 532member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by womblingfree View Post


    So now you can get a White Macbook with 4GB ram, 500GB HDD, and firewire for £150 less than an alluminium Macbook with 4GB ram, 320GB HDD and no firewire.



    Yes, basically.



    Although according to specs the White MacBook only supports external monitors up to 1920 by 1200 while the UBMB supports up to 2560 by 1600.

    So that's one plus, the aluminum MB can drive the 30" Apple display, the Whine one can't.



    The White MB is also half a pound heavier.
  • Reply 100 of 109
    It dawns on me that we've seen the leaked matte rear casing for the supposed new iPhone.



    While all of the rumors I've seen say that this is just to minimize scratches/smudges, I wonder if it might be related to induction charging?



    Palm announced the feature with the Pre months ago, and they require an extra purchase (including switching to a matte back) for the feature.



    Maybe Apple will try to steal some Pre thunder by including induction charging as an included feature with new iPhone hardware?



    I figure it's unlikely, and I haven't seen a single rumor that supports it. Just something that dawned on me, and would definitely be an interesting and welcome feature.
Sign In or Register to comment.