Cheaper iPhone may show as early as Monday

Comments

• Reply 81 of 207
    gtl215gtl215 Posts: 242member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by teckstud View Post

There are tons of people that get Blackberrys without data plan at TMobile and Verizon. People simply want a cool phone with no data. It's more common than you think.

that's fine, but i think people should get an iPod touch if they want all the cool features but without the contract. AT&T can't afford the subsidy if they aren't getting the data revenue. If you're willing to pay more for the phone upfront, then fine. But, in that case you might as well just get the Touch.
  • Reply 82 of 207
    gqbgqb Posts: 1,934member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by BenRoethig View Post

WiFi only or pay as you go probably. I can't think of another phone that requires a data plan.

um, Blackberry, and now Pre?

Now for a Blackberry, I guess it makes sense. I don't believe it does wi-fi (although I may be wrong... never used one.)

But the Pre's carrier is performing the same rip-off as AT&T does for the iPhone. Essentially double-charging people for internet access.
  • Reply 83 of 207
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by PatsFan83 View Post

Please don't talk/type like that. It makes us think you are or act like a 10 year old.

That was the point-only a 10 year old would think a $99 phone makes any difference in the true cost of ownership.

If you don't like what I say, don't read it. Sorry but this is a forum-there are no rules of grammar here. And no I am not 10 nor anywhere near it. I get tired of people here sharp shooting comments based solely on grammar or punctuation.

AND-if you couldn't detect my sarcasm, sorry.
  • Reply 84 of 207
    teckstudteckstud Posts: 6,476member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by GTL215 View Post

that's fine, but i think people should get an iPod touch if they want all the cool features but without the contract. AT&T can't afford the subsidy if they aren't getting the data revenue. If you're willing to pay more for the phone upfront, then fine. But, in that case you might as well just get the Touch.

A Touch is not a phone and is not the solution to what we are discussing.
  • Reply 85 of 207
    brucepbrucep Posts: 2,823member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by kerryb View Post

How about some simple math people. If you pay $99 for a phone and still pay a monthly plan that cost around $80 per month over a 2 year contract are you getting such an bargain with the cheaper phone? I would love a plan with about 100-200 minutes per month + unlimited data all for $40 instead of the $80 plan I have now. Oh and by the way please keep your post civil, okay to be angry but foul language is more a likely to nullify you comments than enhance them.

DID ,I not say this 4 posts above ypu //

but yes seems odd.
  • Reply 86 of 207
    Quote:

wifi is not a selling point for the iPhone. It's obviously a great feature and should be standard on smartphones these days (BB Storm, anyone?). But the "point" of the iPhone and other smartphones is mobile data access. If you don't want to pay $30 for a service you don't need, then you clearly don't need an iPhone. iPod Touch can do pretty much everything the iPhone can, and without the monthly cost. Skype is great and works on the ipod Touch.

'not the selling point' to YOU.

Why is it so hard for some people to understand that not everyone has the same needs as they do, and that that other group might be quite sizable?
  • Reply 87 of 207
    Quote:

A Touch is not a phone and is not the solution to what we are discussing.

Touch not a phone. I hadn't realized that - thanks.

I believe what you are discussing is an iPhone with limited / no data contract? As i said before, AT&T can't afford the iPhone subsidy without the data revenue. The only solution to that is higher up front cost. If you're fine with that, then great. However, the additional upfront cost, in MY opinion, might as well be spent on an iPod Touch. Smartphones are all about mobile data access. What's the point of all the glitz if it only makes phone calls?? This applies to all smartphones, not just the iPhone.
  • Reply 88 of 207
    brucepbrucep Posts: 2,823member
    Quote:

It just gives people a choice. Not everyone wants a data plan- some just want aphone/iPod. it's just an added choice- increases penetration.

But is the price of the phone the same with no data plan ??

Because if it is $99 $199 $249 ea. w/a data plan

then the true cost over 2 yrs. is $1899 $1999 $2049 respectively

Of course the phones have more or less g' in them

But I would buy the $249 model . The other ones seem like a rip-off .

peace

just saying
  • Reply 89 of 207
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by GQB View Post

'not the selling point' to YOU.

Why is it so hard for some people to understand that not everyone has the same needs as they do, and that that other group might be quite sizable?

Why is it so hard for some pople to understand that AT&T can't afford the iPhone subsidy without the data revenue? If a "sizable group" is theoretically willing to pay as you go, does that sizable group shrink at all when the upfront cost of the iPhone jumps from, idk $199 to $399 with no data contract? I bet it does.
  • Reply 90 of 207
    Quote:

Why is it so hard for some pople to understand that AT&T can't afford the iPhone subsidy without the data revenue? If a "sizable group" is theoretically willing to pay as you go, does that sizable group shrink at all when the upfront cost of the iPhone jumps from, idk $199 to $399 with no data contract? I bet it does.

Which is still $200 cheaper than paying for data plan I DON'T NEED!!

Jeez.

I don't want AT&T subsidies on ANYTHING. I particularly cringe when I hear reports that Apple may be adopting this model for laptops as well... built-in data connection to the great Satan.
  • Reply 91 of 207
    mj webmj web Posts: 918member
    [snip]
  • Reply 92 of 207
    dr millmossdr millmoss Posts: 5,403member
    Quote:

As i said before, AT&T can't afford the iPhone subsidy without the data revenue. The only solution to that is higher up front cost.

I wonder how you know that. I really wonder.
  • Reply 93 of 207
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by GQB View Post

Which is still $200 cheaper than paying for data plan I DON'T NEED!!

Jeez.

I don't want AT&T subsidies on ANYTHING. I particularly cringe when I hear reports that Apple may be adopting this model for laptops as well... built-in data connection to the great Satan.

Greedy AT&T would be happy to get any contract it can- data plan or not. I think it's Apple not AT&T holding this back. Why else would Blackberry's be available without one?
  • Reply 94 of 207
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by Dr Millmoss View Post

He doesn't. He makes things up all the time. You think he would provide a link or preface his remarks with "I think"? No - he blurts out unsubstantiated facts all the time.
  • Reply 95 of 207
    jeffdmjeffdm Posts: 12,951member
    Quote:

Touch not a phone. I hadn't realized that - thanks.

I believe what you are discussing is an iPhone with limited / no data contract? As i said before, AT&T can't afford the iPhone subsidy without the data revenue. The only solution to that is higher up front cost. If you're fine with that, then great. However, the additional upfront cost, in MY opinion, might as well be spent on an iPod Touch. Smartphones are all about mobile data access. What's the point of all the glitz if it only makes phone calls?? This applies to all smartphones, not just the iPhone.

I don't think you are trying to understand someone else's viewpoint.

iPhone is also an iPod + phone in one device. A device that syncs contact & calendar data to the computer too. A cheap phone + a touch is two devices, meaning it's an additional device to carry around. Most cheap phones don't do very well with media playback, contact & calendar syncing. They can do it, just not as well.
  • Reply 96 of 207
    lukeskymaclukeskymac Posts: 506member
    Imagine if Jobs can't present the Keynote, but instead Phill demonstrates the new iPhone's front-faced camera and, upon opening the new iChat app, there is only one contact online to demonstrate, "Steve"…

=D
  • Reply 96 of 207
    tenobelltenobell Posts: 7,014member
    You cannot get a BB Storm from Verizon without a data plan. Whose idea was it to sell the Storm without WiFi, BB or VZ?

Quote:

Greedy AT&T would be happy to get any contract it can- data plan or not. I think it's Apple not AT&T holding this back. Why else would Blackberry's be available without one?

• Reply 98 of 207
    Quote:

He doesn't. He makes things up all the time. You think he would provide a link or preface his remarks with "I think"? No - he blurts out unsubstantiated facts all the time.

terribly sorry for the confusion. I thought most reasonable readers would understand i meant, "AT&T cannot price the iphone at the current levels if the contracts do not include data revenue." If you drop the data portion, AT&T will simply lower their subsidy hence raising the price. I've said all this before, but apparently I need to spell it out for you people.

Now, do i need to provide a link to support something as common sense as that?

What people really think is that they ought to have whatever products they want, pay whatever they want, and get as many options and choices as they want. What they don't understand is that the iPhone & AT&T are not a monopoly. Dont like their prices? See ya later, plenty of other phones to choose from. Let the large corporations decide how to best run their businesses, and stop pretending like you know something they don't. "They're missing a huge untapped market for XYZ." No, they're not.
  • Reply 99 of 207
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by JeffDM View Post

I don't think you are trying to understand someone else's viewpoint.

iPhone is also an iPod + phone in one device. A device that syncs contact & calendar data to the computer too. A cheap phone + a touch is two devices, meaning it's an additional device to carry around. Most cheap phones don't do very well with media playback, contact & calendar syncing. They can do it, just not as well.

Of course i realize that. However there are a lot of childish people around here who whine and complain they can't get everything they want. Don't want the data plan? Too bad, that's not an option. Apple and AT&T will both survive without their business.
  • Reply 100 of 207
    solipsismsolipsism Posts: 25,726member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by Dr Millmoss View Post

It seems quite logical. The iPhone, like the Palm Pre, require a data plan because the subsidized cost of the handset is much higher than other phones. For AT&T or Sprint to not require a $30/month unlimited plan for said devices would mean a higher initial cost. AT&T doesn't sell the phone contract-free but other countries do, and the price is much greater than the $200 subsidation of typical higher-end phones without data plans. There is some evidence that the unsibsudized Palm Pre is $850, yet it's still locked to Sprint and would presumably still require the $70/month minimum plan unless you can trick Sprint by switching SIM cards from a phone with a SERO plan.