Sprint to keep Palm Pre for more than six months

Posted:
in iPhone edited January 2014
Sprint's CEO stated today that despite the comments coming from Verizon Wireless, his company's exclusive rights to sell the Palm Pre will extend longer than six months.

At this morning's Palm Pre launch event, Sprint Nextel CEO Dan Hesse told CNET that Verizon was wrong to claim that it would be able to sell the new model in just six months.

"They need to check their facts," Hesse said. "That just is not the case. Both Palm and Sprint have agreed not to discuss the length of the exclusivity deal. But I can tell you it's not six months."

Verizon CEO Lowell McAdam reportedly said that consumers could expect to see devices "like the Palm Pre and a second-generation Storm" on the company's network, words that were converted into a rumor that insisted the Palm Pre would show up after just six months of exclusivity on Sprint. That rumor resulted in a dramatic surge in Palm's stock.

Both Sprint and Verizon are desperate to find a popular phone that can compete for new customers in the way the iPhone has for AT&T. Nearly every leading new phone model has debuted as exclusive to a single provider in the US, although the iPhone's partnership with AT&T has been kept exclusive for much longer. AT&T has itself expressed interest in carrying the Pre or other WebOS-based devices from Palm.

Verizon's headlining Blackberry Storm from RIM has proven to be a disappointing challenger to the iPhone, but Sprint's Pre has been getting mostly favorable reviews. Still, Sprint has warned that the Pre won't generate the same excited theatrics as the iPhone did when it first went on sale.

Sprint spokesman Mark Elliott not only said the company did not expect long lines for the Pre at its 1,100 stores, but also claimed that it didn?t want to experience an iPhone-like frenzy. ?We?re actually trying to manage the exact opposite,? Elliott said.

Comments

• Reply 1 of 91
    breezebreeze Posts: 96member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by AppleInsider View Post

Verizon CEO Lowell McAdam reportedly said that consumers could expect to see devices "like the Palm Pre and a second-generation Storm" on the company's network, words that were converted into a rumor that insisted the Palm Pre would show up after just six months of exclusivity on Sprint. That rumor resulted in a dramatic surge in Palm's stock.

That's what happens when you count on any dumbed down, illiterate idiot's (who can type and claims to be a "writer" or "analyst") interpretation or understanding (NOT) of the Enlish language...

"like the Palm Pre and a second-generation Storm" means just that ie: " like..." morons not actual.
  • Reply 2 of 91
    teckstudteckstud Posts: 6,476member
    Pretty savy of Sprint actually on both comments regarding the Pre- Verizon availability and iPhone comparisons.

Tomorow will be interesting. And then comes Monday.
  • Reply 3 of 91
    mark2005mark2005 Posts: 1,158member
    Quote:

At this morning's Palm Pre launch event, Sprint Nextel CEO Dan Hesse told CNET that Verizon was wrong to claim that it would be able to sell the new model in just six months.

"They need to check their facts," Hesse said. "That just is not the case. Both Palm and Sprint have agreed not to discuss the length of the exclusivity deal. But I can tell you it's not six months."

Partners working at cross-purposes.

Palm needs people to know that Verizon and others will get Pre (see stock surge on rumor), so that there's hope Palm will have additional sources of revenue. OTOH, Sprint needs people to know that it will have Pre exclusivity for a long time, so people will switch to get it, rather than wait. Good luck with that!
  • Reply 4 of 91
    addaboxaddabox Posts: 12,665member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by teckstud View Post

Pretty savy of Hesse on both comments regarding the Pre- Verizon availability and iPhone comparisons.

Tomorow will be interesting. And then comes Monday.

What's "savvy" about noting that Verizon is talking out of its ass? They either have an exclusive deal for a period of time or they don't, and it doesn't require any special rhetorical skills to say so.

And where has Hesse even said anything about iPhone comparisons?
  • Reply 5 of 91
    ireality85ireality85 Posts: 316member
    Quote:

And therein lies the misreporting... McAdam's said "devices like the Palm Pre." "Like" as in similar to, not "like" as in actual being.

What is the definition of is again?
  • Reply 6 of 91
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by addabox View Post

What's "savvy" about noting that Verizon is talking out of its ass? They either have an exclusive deal for a period of time or they don't, and it doesn't require any special rhetorical skills to say so.

And where has Hesse even said anything about iPhone comparisons?

If you would get your head out of your a$$ you would has seen that Sprint (not Hesse) said no lines or launch like iPhone wanted. Jeesh.
  • Reply 7 of 91
    mebbertmebbert Posts: 56member
    Quote:

Sprint spokesman Mark Elliott not only said the company did not expect long lines for the Pre at its 1,100 stores, but also claimed that it didn?t want to experience an iPhone-like frenzy. ?We?re actually trying to manage the exact opposite,? Elliott said.

How visionary. Now we know why Sprint is on the ropes. \
  • Reply 8 of 91
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by mark2005 View Post

Partners working at cross-purposes.

Palm needs people to know that Verizon and others will get Pre (see stock surge on rumor), so that there's hope Palm will have additional sources of revenue. OTOH, Sprint needs people to know that it will have Pre exclusivity for a long time, so people will switch to get it, rather than wait. Good luck with that!

At least the Pre is going to other carriers after a short term. The public benefits.
  • Reply 9 of 91
    gtl215gtl215 Posts: 242member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by iReality85 View Post

And therein lies the misreporting... McAdam's said "devices like the Palm Pre." "Like" as in similar to, not "like" as in actually being.

What is the definition of is again?

CEOs don't specifically mention such things if they don't mean it. Leave the semantics aside - the VZ CEO clearly meant he expects the Pre on Verizon at some point.
  • Reply 10 of 91
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by mebbert View Post

How visionary. Now we know why Sprint is on the ropes. \

It's not to visionary to camp out in a line for a week when last year it was totally uneccesary. or 2 years ago - wait in line all night , pay $600 and then see your efforts devalued by $200 in 2 months.
  • Reply 11 of 91
    Quote:

At least the Pre is going to other carriers after a short term.

it is? I thought the point of the article is that the 6-month exclusivitiy is false.
  • Reply 12 of 91
    shookstershookster Posts: 113member
    So neither Apple nor Palm, who have produced arguably the two most-desirable handsets on the market, could agree to an exclusivity deal with the best network in the USA. What gives? Is Verizon demanding a massive cut of the profits? How come neither have managed to come to a deal?
  • Reply 13 of 91
    mebbertmebbert Posts: 56member
    Quote:

It's not to visionary to camp out in a line for a week when last year it was totally uneccesary.

Perhaps not for the consumer. But why would the company not want lines? "No, I don't want to sell millions of phones..."
  • Reply 14 of 91
    ireality85ireality85 Posts: 316member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by GTL215 View Post

CEOs don't specifically mention such things if they don't mean it. Leave the semantics aside - the VZ CEO clearly meant he expects the Pre on Verizon at some point.

I'm not so sure if its that clear based on the article, but what is clear is that Palm investors are clearly keen on the idea of releasing the phone to Verizon. Sprint is so 3rd tier nowadays.
  • Reply 15 of 91
    Quote:

It's not to visionary to camp out in a line for a week when last year it was totally uneccesary. or 2 years ago - wait in line all night , pay $600 and then see your efforts devalued by $200 in 2 months.

Hmm. If everybody involved in that was satisfied (customers, Apple, & AT&T), what's the problem?

I didn't camp out for the first-gen iPhone, but i did buy it two days after it went on sale (something aspiring Pre owners won't get the chance to do, if projected inventory reports prove accurate). I was somewhat ticked the price dropped two months later, but, considering I got a $100 credit I feel the other $100 is simply the price you pay as an early adopter. I would imagine most people feel that way as well.
  • Reply 16 of 91
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by mebbert View Post

Perhaps not for the consumer. But why would the company not want lines? "No, I don't want to sell millions of phones..."

hah, and Sprint's awful attempt at spin? "Uhhh, we want to provide excellent customer service, and that's not possible with huge lines." HA!
  • Reply 17 of 91
    Quote:

If you would get your head out of your a$$ you would has seen that Sprint (not Hesse) said no lines or launch like iPhone wanted. Jeesh.

You said:

Quote:

Pretty savy of Hesse on both comments regarding the Pre- Verizon availability and iPhone comparisons.

So I wondered what Hesse had said about iPhone comparisons.
  • Reply 18 of 91
    fulldecentfulldecent Posts: 108member
    That's like last year when I called to cancel Verizon. We went back and forth for a while and they found out I was switching to ATT. Then they said they were selling the iPhone too. That's when I knew they were desperate beyond repair.
  • Reply 19 of 91
    Quote:

Just out of curiosity, I was going to report this post and noted that the iPhone forum, alone among all forums, doesn't list the mods at the bottom. Is this forum currently unmoderated?
  • Reply 20 of 91
    lfmorrisonlfmorrison Posts: 698member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by Shookster View Post

So neither Apple nor Palm, who have produced arguably the two most-desirable handsets on the market, could agree to an exclusivity deal with the best network in the USA. What gives? Is Verizon demanding a massive cut of the profits? How come neither have managed to come to a deal?

Pure speculation on my part, but maybe it's just that the smaller players are more desperate, and so they are willing to make bigger concessions to attract the most lucrative manufacturers away from Verizon.