ATT Microcell ... When?

Posted:
in iPhone edited January 2014
Has anyone heard anything more about a date for the availability of ATT's microcell? Last I heard it could have been as early as June... no?

Comments

• Reply 1 of 8
    mandricardmandricard Posts: 486member
    The ATT press-release said the microcells were still in trials... was there any other news about them today?

Quote:

MicroCells. Customer trials leading toward general availability of AT&T 3G MicroCell offerings, which utilize femtocells to enhance in-building wireless coverage.

Any more dirt?
  • Reply 2 of 8
    hmurchisonhmurchison Posts: 12,419member
    Sorry man I meant to look up Microcell and in a fit of sloth behaviour I ate a

jelly donut instead. Hmmmm....

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Microcell

A microcell is a cell in a mobile phone network served by a low power cellularbase station (tower), covering a limited area such as a mall, a hotel, or a transportation hub. A microcell is usually larger than a picocell, though the distinction is not always clear. A microcell uses power control to limit the radius of its coverage area. Typically the range of a microcell is less than a mile wide.

A micro cellular network is a radio network comprising of microcells

Like picocells, microcells are usually used to add network capacity in areas with very dense phone usage, such as train stations. Microcells are often deployed temporarily during sporting events and other occasions in which extra capacity is known to be needed at a specific location ahead of time.

Cell size flexibility is a feature of 2G (and later) networks and is a significant part of how such networks have been able to improve capacity. Power controls implemented on digital networks make it easier to prevent interference from nearby cells using the same frequencies. By subdividing cells, and creating more cells to help serve high density areas, a cellular network operator can optimize the use of spectrum and ensure capacity can grow. By comparison, older analog systems have fixed limits beyond which attempts to subdivide cells simply would result in an unacceptable level of interference.

Kind of makes me wonder if this is still front burner stuff
  • Reply 3 of 8
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by hmurchison View Post

Sorry man I meant to look up Microcell and in a fit of sloth behaviour I ate a

jelly donut instead. Hmmmm....

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Microcell

Kind of makes me wonder if this is still front burner stuff

Well, they mentioned it in their Press-release, and it has been slated for release this year. I just wonder if there was any more info that came out yesterday. I live at the edge of a coverage area and my iPhone is ALWAYS flicking in and out of service. A Microcell would be a major help.

Hope springs eternal,

Mandricard

AppleOutsider
  • Reply 4 of 8
    **Crickets?**
  • Reply 5 of 8
    jeffdmjeffdm Posts: 12,951member
    Unless AT&T buys one for you, I suggest buying a cellular repeater, especially if your building is the kind that blocks cellular connection. You put an antenna in the attic or high on the side of the building facing the closest tower and that should get you a good connection. I set one up for my workshop last Memorial Day weekend and so far it's been working great, 4-5 bars and a good connection at the same desk that I used to get only 1-2 at best, and very often, no connection.

The rumored kind of "microcell" that AT&T is said to be making uses your own home internet connection as a backhaul, I think that should be avoided if a repeater will work for you.
  • Reply 6 of 8
    Interesting...

which one did you purchase? Not sure if even a repeater would work here, as the connection is so spotty--on again off again.

M

Quote:
    Originally Posted by JeffDM View Post

Unless AT&T buys one for you, I suggest buying a cellular repeater, especially if your building is the kind that blocks cellular connection. You put an antenna in the attic or high on the side of the building facing the closest tower and that should get you a good connection. I set one up for my workshop last Memorial Day weekend and so far it's been working great, 4-5 bars and a good connection at the same desk that I used to get only 1-2 at best, and very often, no connection.

The rumored kind of "microcell" that AT&T is said to be making uses your own home internet connection as a backhaul, I think that should be avoided if a repeater will work for you.

• Reply 7 of 8
    jeffdmjeffdm Posts: 12,951member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by Mandricard View Post

Interesting...

which one did you purchase? Not sure if even a repeater would work here, as the connection is so spotty--on again off again.

M

The model that I bought:

Wi-Ex zBoost YX510-PCS/CEL Dual Band Wireless Extender (YX 510-PCS/CEL)

It might work pretty well as it has what looks like a pretty good exterior antenna, I think it probably has enough gain to make it work well. There are bundles with better antennas too. Mounting it high can get around a lot of obstacles such as trees.
  • Reply 8 of 8
    docno42docno42 Posts: 3,755member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by Mandricard View Post

Not sure if even a repeater would work here, as the connection is so spotty--on again off again.

The key is, repeaters have directional high-gain antennas that you aim at the cell phone tower, then they re-broadcast a more uni-directional signal locally for your phone to connect to.

No fee, no dependency on having an Internet connection and they are also carrier agnostic if you ever change carriers....