Sprint to keep Palm Pre for more than six months

Comments

• Reply 61 of 91
    melgrossmelgross Posts: 33,510member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by TenoBell View Post

This is exactly how the iPhone 3G was sold for it's first couple of months. Apple would sell out everyday and people had to get appointments to come in the next day and buy a phone. Even with that appointment their was still a line everyday.

Apple has almost always underestimated demand for their products. I even had that problem when I bought my Quadra 950 all those years ago. I had to wait weeks before it arrived.

I imagine the same thing was true for the iPhone.

I don't know about the Pre. I've read estimates of its initial production run being between 30,000 and 300,000. I've imagined the first number to be a typo, but still...

I see the Pre as selling well in the first weekend, but I'm not really sure what selling well means in terms of numbers. We all remember the wildly varying estimates of the iPhones sales for the first weekend. Both extremes were off.

But those sales held up very well, and so we had the situation you just mentioned, constant sell-outs until Apple was able to get increased production. They had to air freight phones in as they have to do every time they badly underestimate demand. Not a wonderful thing to do because it costs so much to do.

Will the Pre's sales hold up like that? Who knows.

What if the various flaws cause very high return rates as Verizon and RIM had with the Storm? Can Palm and Sprint manage that? Can they afford it? RIM and Verizon can.
  • Reply 62 of 91
    pg4gpg4g Posts: 383member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by melgross View Post

Apple has almost always underestimated demand for their products. I even had that problem when I bought my Quadra 950 all those years ago. I had to wait weeks before it arrived.

But those sales held up very well, and so we had the situation you just mentioned, constant sell-outs until Apple was able to get increased production. They had to air freight phones in as they have to do every time they badly underestimate demand. Not a wonderful thing to do because it costs so much to do.

Yes, but Apple is smart to be somewhat conservative with their figures. They knew it would sell well, and planned for that, but well enough for the sellout that ensued? If Apple planned ahead and it hadn't have happened, they'd be very much in the lurch, financially.

Its better to make people wait a day in anticipation for a product (which will only heighten desire for it, it seems in Apple's case) rather than to overstock and lose millions.
  • Reply 63 of 91
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by Shookster View Post

So neither Apple nor Palm, who have produced arguably the two most-desirable handsets on the market, could agree to an exclusivity deal with the best network in the USA. What gives? Is Verizon demanding a massive cut of the profits? How come neither have managed to come to a deal?

My guess is the lumbering leviathans would want complete control of the handset on their network. Apple said no and AT&T played along. But Verizon has the brash arrogance that they need to control everything on their network. Palm is trying to be like Apple in resisting it so far. But they are on life-support. So if it gets really desperate, then there is a good chance that it will cow down and get in bed with Verizon.

Every network company believes that they need to control everything regarding the handset. AT&T was somehow convinced by Apple and it has handsomely paid off. Verizon screwed up with that when they could have gotten it before AT&T. I also think it was destiny that Verizon was on a different network than the globally preferred GSM and had to suffer for it. It just looked as if the chips landed correctly when AT&T and Apple became partners.

When I was in the US, I was on Sprint initially. It was very good. But I decided to switch carriers when they introduced number portability. I went to Verizon and there were so many times it failed miserably. So much for touting the largest network in the US.
  • Reply 64 of 91
    brucepbrucep Posts: 2,823member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by hillstones View Post

I don't know where you got that information.

Go here. http://www.nytimes.com/2009/06/04/te...h/04pogue.html

Sir David Pogue states that in 6 months verizon will have the Palm Pre. I think maybe 8 months everyone will have a go with the Palm Pre.

• Reply 65 of 91
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by PG4G View Post

Yes, but Apple is smart to be somewhat conservative with their figures. They knew it would sell well, and planned for that, but well enough for the sellout that ensued? If Apple planned ahead and it hadn't have happened, they'd be very much in the lurch, financially.

Its better to make people wait a day in anticipation for a product (which will only heighten desire for it, it seems in Apple's case) rather than to overstock and lose millions.

I don't think that Apple deliberately underproduces for effect. I don't believe that they attempt to have an unavailable situation to make people think the product has high demand.

Nintendo is doing that with the Wii. After all this time, long after they should have caught up, they still have an out of stock situation. they are clearly doing that on purpose, producing just a bit less than they can sell.

Apple produces more almost immediately, showing that it's not an intentional thing to shore up publicity.

There's no excuse to be short for more than a month or so.

It's too early yet in the day to know how the Pre will fare this weekend. But if there are shortages this early, it's deliberate. This isn't a multi-thousand dollar machine coming from a company who isn't sure of its acceptance in a professional market.

If there are no shortages yet, as there shouldn't be, will there be any in the next day or two? That could show greater demand than expected. If they get enough product in a month, then all is well, if shortages continue for months, then it's planned.
  • Reply 66 of 91
    I think a major reason why they haven't mentioned how long the Pre will be on Sprint is, they haven't decided. If Palm does well with Sprint, then it might be more then six months. If they don't, it might come in January/February. So it's a waiting game.

Also, the other company's will get WebOS, maybe even this year. WebOS is the savior of Palm, but the Pre might be the savior for Sprint. We shall see!
  • Reply 67 of 91
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by Macintosh_Next View Post

I think a major reason why they haven't mentioned how long the Pre will be on Sprint is, they haven't decided. If Palm does well with Sprint, then it might be more then six months. If they don't, it might come in January/February. So it's a waiting game.

Also, the other company's will get WebOS, maybe even this year. WebOS is the savior of Palm, but the Pre might be the savior for Sprint. We shall see!

This kind of thing is fixed long before the product becomes available.

It's always possible that there is a clause that allows an "out" under specified circumstances.

Remember that we don't know how long Apple's contract is with AT&T, or any of the other carriers around the world ether.
  • Reply 68 of 91
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by Macintosh_Next View Post

I quote David Pogue below

>>> ;Oh, yes indeedy. Especially when you consider that Verizon Wireless has announced that it will carry the Pre ?in the next six months or so.? <<<

The Pogue link

http://www.nytimes.com/2009/06/04/te...ogue.html?_r=1

The Pre will be undersold until Palm get the kinks out. Come 2nd gen. the corporation's will decide whether to go with the PRE or not.

I wonder if the Pre will get away with the touch screen copyright violations they may have. The link below.

http://www.boygeniusreport.com/2009/...-legal-threat/
  • Reply 69 of 91
    Right now, the Pre lacks all of the requirements the iPhone was criticized for not having when it first came out that business is supposed to need.

So business adoption shouldn't be any better than it was for the iPhone at first, though the iPhone has been moving into business quickly since the 3G and ver. 2 software came out.
  • Reply 70 of 91
    Quote:

Right now, the Pre lacks all of the requirements the iPhone was criticized for not having when it first came out that business is supposed to need.

So business adoption shouldn't be any better than it was for the iPhone at first, though the iPhone has been moving into business quickly since the 3G and ver. 2 software came out.

The palm still hold's a special place in many companies heart's. And the companies that reject Iphone may be inclined to go with the PRE when and if other phone companies can carry it.
  • Reply 71 of 91
    solipsismsolipsism Posts: 25,726member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by brucep View Post

The palm still hold's a special place in many companies heart's. And the companies that reject Iphone may be inclined to go with the PRE when and if other phone companies can carry it.

Melgross? point still holds. Unless there is a company that only uses Sprint for their corporate account (which means it?s not a device issue) or some odd company that requires a physical keyboard regardless of how poor it is there is little advantage to the Pre at this point. It does some minimal copy/paste and a company can technically make a 3rd-party app for it, but I don?t see either of those SW features being developed enough to make the Pre a shoe in for any reputable company.
  • Reply 72 of 91
    Quote:

I don't think so. Companies don't have products in their "hearts". Companies have no hearts. It's business. The Pre lacks what business needs, and so they won't be used.

I still have my old Treo 700p, though I just use some of the programs occasionally. The best smartphone until the iPhone came out.

But the Pre is no Treo. The Treo was a business phone, old OS or not. The new phone is a consumer phone, much like the iPhone when it first came out.

But the iPhone has moved on. We don't yet know what will happen to the Pre.
  • Reply 73 of 91
    mark2005mark2005 Posts: 1,158member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by TBell View Post

It is possible he meant what you said, but like also is used to give specific examples. For instance, I love old Rock ballads, like Journey. So, if I heard a CEO say he planned on bringing more smart phones to it's network in six months and then him naming names, I'd assume he meant those specific phones.

I guess he could've said "like iPhone" instead.
  • Reply 74 of 91
    loneratolonerato Posts: 54member
    Quote:

I agree with you on this and have been saying much the same.

As the iPhone accounts for so much of the data used in the world of smartphones, it's easy to see how that borked AT&T's network for a while, though it's much better now. Verizon hasn't had such usage, and even with a better network, whatever that means, there's no guarantee that theirs wouldn't have had serious problems.

But we may never know, as all the networks are bulking up on their capacity.

Verizon's network is so big and they had so much spectrum they had to give almost all of their Alltel GSM spectrum to AT&T. The real reason people stay with Verizon and AT&T is because of their great marketing. Sprint screwed themselves when they merged with Nextel, just because both carriers controlled all of the 2.5 Ghz spectrum. To bad WiMax isn't going to be the conquer that Sprint and Nextel thought it would be and they suffered for it. Sprint should have merged with Alltel instead of Nextel, as they used the same tech and would have been a smoother transition and could have then taken on Verizon and AT&T for the 700 Mhz spectrum they are both using for LTE. On a side not ahd the the Sprint/MCI merger gone through Sprint might have been what Verizon has become, as Verizon basically did what Sprint was trying to do years earlier.
  • Reply 75 of 91
    Quote:

I don't think so. Companies don't have products in their "hearts". Companies have no hearts. It's business. The Pre lacks what business needs, and so they won't be used.

I still have my old Treo 700p, though I just use some of the programs occasionally. The best smartphone until the iPhone came out.

But the Pre is no Treo. The Treo was a business phone, old OS or not. The new phone is a consumer phone, much like the iPhone when it first came out.

But the iPhone has moved on. We don't yet know what will happen to the Pre.

I have used all manners of smartphones and still have a hard time looking at the iPhone as such. I like how you automatically said that no company will use the Pre as its not a business phone. That would be like saying the iPhone wouldn't be used by business either.I don't plan on buying a Pre, but would love to see it compete on all levels so Apple can step their game up and give us things that we want. I could also see why you left Palm after owning a 700p, as it had more issues then any of the previous models.
  • Reply 76 of 91
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by LonerATO View Post

Verizon's network is so big and they had so much spectrum they had to give almost all of their Alltel GSM spectrum to AT&T. The real reason people stay with Verizon and AT&T is because of their great marketing. Sprint screwed themselves when they merged with Nextel, just because both carriers controlled all of the 2.5 Ghz spectrum. To bad WiMax isn't going to be the conquer that Sprint and Nextel thought it would be and they suffered for it. Sprint should have merged with Alltel instead of Nextel, as they used the same tech and would have been a smoother transition and could have then taken on Verizon and AT&T for the 700 Mhz spectrum they are both using for LTE. On a side not ahd the the Sprint/MCI merger gone through Sprint might have been what Verizon has become, as Verizon basically did what Sprint was trying to do years earlier.

Well all the above reasons could explain why Verizon does so well in retaining customers. Or maybe verizon overall has a MUCH better signal for many many years. i.e.;Less dropped calls. Sprint sucks.

AT&T before the iphone; was about even with verizon in un-retained clients. AT&T with the iphone is cooking. They are still losing the same amount of clients as verizon, but they are gaining and retaining an incredible amount of very high data using clients. I think youR post is well meaning but a tad confused. Sprint and AT&T HAS ALWAYS had weak coverage in the greater NYC area.<boston to DC>.

The average phone client at some point demands less dropped calls. Nothing else matters. Nothing. Verizon wins out every year since day one, at least in the NYC area.

Verizon is now a major player with its FIOS.

The speed is breathtaking, the picture quality finally matches the hardware>i.e.;1080p.

So the DATA PLAN WAR is on full force. They are spending untold billions to build up the 3g/4g infrastructure's. All that unlit fiber optic cable is disappearing. Their plans will fail if they can't keep an ever increasing revenue stream coming in to support their insane building plans.

And that leaves Sprint low man on the totem pole. Maybe Google or MSFT will buy Sprint.

All of above points out why it was an incredible situation for a revolutionary phone to show up right smack in the middle of the data-plan wars.

And verizon has all its own stores for music etc etc and they have dsl and fios. If apple and verizon can play nice together we may have a great new data powerful iphone home or should I say planet.

I get 7mbp DL Right now. <6.56 on the clock >

20 TO 50 mpb coming in future.

This iphone stream will be so powerful. 2X HULU powerful.

In THE COMING YEARS if the all this stuff does in fact get build out at all. We will make Dick Tracy's watch phone look old and tired.

I will end this long boring post with a final thought or hope.

I picture my self with a 8"x6" all glass no buttons i-something in my hand, riding the NYC subway, streaming live baseball while flipping back and forth with a PIP setup to a streaming hulu TV show. And maybe my wife call's me. Her mug fills the screen. Stand up she shrills let the whole subway car see that at 55 you still can't dress your self. Hold the phone up she says, let me see everyone in the car. Hey I whisper to no one , mismatched sneakers may one day be in style.

Amazing no. What is amazing would be that no one in that subway car would think that this scene was amazing at all. Amazing

Scores of wind/solar powered server farms scattered across the landscape.

just saying

• Reply 77 of 91
    teckstudteckstud Posts: 6,476member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by anantksundaram View Post

Yeah. Looks like this control-freak company is gettings its just deserts.

I had Verizon for a number of years, and couldn't wait to jump ship. I was thrilled that I finally could, and that too for something like the iPhone. Couldn't be more pleased, overall!

Verizon is simply the largest and best carrier in the US. You would probably go for the PeoplesTemple Carrier as long as it was attached to an iPhone.
  • Reply 78 of 91
    Quote:

Well all the above reasons could explain why Verizon does so well in retaining customers. Or maybe verizon overall has a MUCH better signal for many many years. i.e.;Less dropped calls. Sprint sucks.

AT&T before the iphone; was about even with verizon in un-retained clients. AT&T with the iphone is cooking. They are still losing the same amount of clients as verizon, but they are gaining and retaining an incredible amount of very high data using clients. I think youR post is well meaning but a tad confused. Sprint and AT&T HAS ALWAYS had weak coverage in the greater NYC area.<boston to DC>.

The average phone client at some point demands less dropped calls. Nothing else matters. Nothing. Verizon wins out every year since day one, at least in the NYC area.

Verizon is now a major player with its FIOS.

The speed is breathtaking, the picture quality finally matches the hardware>i.e.;1080p.

So the DATA PLAN WAR is on full force. They are spending untold billions to build up the 3g/4g infrastructure's. All that unlit fiber optic cable is disappearing. Their plans will fail if they can't keep an ever increasing revenue stream coming in to support their insane building plans.

And that leaves Sprint low man on the totem pole. Maybe Google or MSFT will buy Sprint.

All of above points out why it was an incredible situation for a revolutionary phone to show up right smack in the middle of the data-plan wars.

And verizon has all its own stores for music etc etc and they have dsl and fios. If apple and verizon can play nice together we may have a great new data powerful iphone home or should I say planet.

I get 7mbp DL Right now. <6.56 on the clock >

20 TO 50 mpb coming in future.

This iphone stream will be so powerful. 2X HULU powerful.

In THE COMING YEARS if the all this stuff does in fact get build out at all. We will make Dick Tracy's watch phone look old and tired.

I will end this long boring post with a final thought or hope.

I picture my self with a 8"x6" all glass no buttons i-something in my hand, riding the NYC subway, streaming live baseball while flipping back and forth with a PIP setup to a streaming hulu TV show. And maybe my wife call's me. Her mug fills the screen. Stand up she shrills let the whole subway car see that at 55 you still can't dress your self. Hold the phone up she says, let me see everyone in the car. Hey I whisper to no one , mismatched sneakers may one day be in style.

Amazing no. What is amazing would be that no one in that subway car would think that this scene was amazing at all. Amazing

Scores of wind/solar powered server farms scattered across the landscape.

just saying

I have had both Verizon and Sprint and both have had their coverage issues. To say tha I am confused or miss led is pretty lame in the fact that just because you had crappy coverage with a carrier doesnt mean someone else does. Verizon has always had great coverage in the north east, due to Verizon being based out of NJ. The reason Verizon has FIOS is due to the MCI merger and all the fiber they received. Since both AT&T and Verizon are each moving to LTE you more than likely will not see a device with different wireless speeds. I'm still waiting on Google to do something will all the dark fiber they own.
  • Reply 79 of 91
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by teckstud View Post

Verizon is simply the largest and best carrier in the US. You would probably go for the PeoplesTemple Carrier as long as it was attached to an iPhone.

I agree with you on that and I pretty sure if T-Mobile had the phone people would flock to them as well.
  • Reply 80 of 91
    tenobelltenobell Posts: 7,014member
    The problem actually was that Altell was a pretty nice sized company and there was too much overlap between Altell and Verizon, that is the reason they had to sell assets.

Quote:
    Originally Posted by LonerATO View Post

Verizon's network is so big and they had so much spectrum they had to give almost all of their Alltel GSM spectrum to AT&T.