A couple of iPhone annoyances - how to resolve them?

Posted:
in iPhone edited January 2014
Hi all

Here's a couple of iPhone annoyances I'm looking to resolve if anyone can point me in the right direction?

1) On the AppleInsider forum, the iPhone and Applications sections show up much smaller than all of the other sections. How do I make them the same size?

2) When I'm replying to a thread, quoting someone elses post, if that post takes up all and more of the space in the reply box, I cannot scroll down through that text to write my reply at the bottom; I have to type my reply at the top. How do I scroll that text to write my reply underneath what was quoted?

Thanks

Michael.

Comments

• Reply 1 of 5
    ivan.rnn01ivan.rnn01 Posts: 1,822member
    1 - This is how Mobile Safari renders CSSs which haven't been designed for iPhone from the beginning. vBulletin, phpBB they all are impacted.

I didn't hear about any remedy for that so far.

Just interesting (yet completely useless) trick to play with.
    1. On your Mac paste the below crap in the address field of your Safari:
      Code:

javascript:for(i=0;i<document.getElementsByTagName ('*').length;i++)void(document.getElementsByTagNam e('*' )[i].style.fontSize='18pt');

2. Bookmark what you've put in the address field ("+" button),

3. Sync this onto your iPhone,

4. Open AI site in iPhone Safari,

5. From previously opened page go to that weird bookmark; this will increase the font size of AI page,

6. Then everything looks uniformly rendered in landscape mode.

Sure, all that is lost when you open a page next time...

PS 'getElementsByTagName', sure. The space inserted by vBulletin formatter should be removed
  • Reply 2 of 5
    mrochestermrochester Posts: 700member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by ivan.rnn01 View Post

1 - This is how Mobile Safari renders CSSs which haven't been designed for iPhone from the beginning. vBulletin, phpBB they all are impacted.

I didn't hear about any remedy for that so far.

Just interesting (yet completely useless) trick to play with.
    1. On your Mac paste the below crap in the address field of your Safari:
      Code:

javascript:for(i=0;i<document.getElementsByTagName ('*').length;i++)void(document.getElementsByTagNam e('*' )[i].style.fontSize='18pt');

Bookmark what you've put in the address field ("+" button),
    Sync this onto your iPhone,
    Open AI site in iPhone Safari,
    From previously opened page go to that weird bookmark; this will increase the font size of AI page,
    Then everything looks uniformly rendered in landscape mode.
    Sure, all that is lost when you open a page next time...

PS 'getElementsByTagName', sure. The space inserted by vBulletin formatter should be removed

Thanks Ivan, it's a pity it can't be easily fixed. I would just like to save the time having to zoom in to press those links if I could!
  • Reply 3 of 5
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by mrochester View Post

Thanks Ivan, it's a pity it can't be easily fixed.

No problem, but, frankly, not at all...

The bulletin board programmers should be first in the line to help us to figure that out, I dare say...
  • Reply 4 of 5
    mrochestermrochester Posts: 700member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by ivan.rnn01 View Post

No problem, but, frankly, not at all...

The bulletin board programmers should be first in the line to help us to figure that out, I dare say...

Sounds to me like it's Apple that needs to fix mobile safari.
  • Reply 5 of 5
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by mrochester View Post

Sounds to me like it's Apple that needs to fix mobile safari.

What I've learned about people's complaints of this issue says that those are strictly speaking erroneous html pages, which haven't been validated properly and have been just left as is in the hope for browsers would ignore their flaws.