Temperature of GPU and CPU when 9600 is enabled on Macbook Pro

Posted:
in Current Mac Hardware edited January 2014
Hello all,

I was wondering what kind of temperatures people get when they enable the 9600 card in their macbook pros. I have had a few freezing issues when the graphics card runs hot with CUDA and games.

To measure your temperature, use iStat Pro or something similar.

You can enable the 9600 hundred by going to System Preferences -> Energy Saver -> Higher performance.

I get average CPU temperatures of about 60 degC, and GPU temperatures around the same.

Is it a known issue that these machines lock up under heavy graphics load?

Cheers

Jan

Comments

• Reply 1 of 4
    MarvinMarvin Posts: 15,322moderator
    60 degrees isn't high at all for that machine. 80 degrees is when you should start to be concerned and cool it down.

What you can do is try using SMC Fan Control or Fan Control. The first is manual and you push your fans higher when you need to cool the machine quicker. The second does it automatically so that when your temperature goes above a certain level, it ramps your fans up but it does modify your SMC. This shouldn't be a huge problem though as it can be reset.

Apple don't start cooling their machines quickly enough - likely to keep fan noise low - and it allows temperatures to creep up. In this case though, 60 degrees isn't all that high. Some of these cards were defective in manufacturing so there's a possibility that you got a bad one:

http://www.electronista.com/articles...o.nvidia.risk/

Are you sure it's overheating at 60? Once you crash and reboot, the fans kick in higher and it doesn't take very long on high fan speed to drop down 10-20 degrees. If it is definitely freezing up at 60, I would say that's not normal.
  • Reply 2 of 4
    irchsirchs Posts: 86member
    hhhmmm.... I have had the black screen problem when just on the Windows 7 desktop... looks like I have a defective unit
  • Reply 3 of 4
    MarvinMarvin Posts: 15,322moderator
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by irchs View Post

hhhmmm.... I have had the black screen problem when just on the Windows 7 desktop... looks like I have a defective unit

Does this happen on the Mac side or just under Windows 7? Perhaps the graphics drivers for W7 are buggy.
  • Reply 4 of 4
    irchsirchs Posts: 86member
    nah, freezing happens on the Mac side too, particularly when running GPU intensive CUDA programs