Apple introduces 13-inch MacBook Pro, cheaper MacBook Airs

Posted:
in Current Mac Hardware edited January 2014
Apple at its developers conference Monday unveiled plans to transition its 13-inch unibody MacBooks into a more premium offering by announcing plans to rebrand them as 13-inch MacBook Pros alongside more affordable pricing. MacBook Airs were also updated with cheaper pricing.

Apple said it will retain the "MacBook" moniker for its white $999 MacBook which ships in a polycarbonate enclosure. The new unibody models include a 2.26GHz model for $1199 and a 2.53GHz model for $1499, down from $1299 and $1599.

13-inch MacBook Pros

The new 13-inch MacBook Pro is a significant upgrade at a lower price than the original aluminum MacBook it replaces. With the same unibody design popular with consumers, students and professionals, all 13-inch MacBook Pro models now include a seven hour built-in battery, an SD card slot, a FireWire 800 port, an illuminated keyboard and an improved LED-backlit display with 60 percent greater color gamut.

Also featuring NVIDIA's GeForce 9400M integrated graphics processor, the 13-inch MacBook Pro is available in two models: one with a 2.26 GHz Intel Core 2 Duo, 2GB of RAM and a 160GB hard drive priced at $1,199, and another with a 2.53 GHz Intel Core 2 Duo, 4GB of RAM and a 250GB hard drive priced at $1,499.

"Across the line, all of our new MacBook Pro models now include Apple's innovative built-in battery for up to seven hours of battery life, while staying just as thin and light as before," said Philip Schiller, Apple's senior vice president of Worldwide Product Marketing. "Starting at just $1,199, the aluminum unibody MacBook Pro is more affordable than ever and sets a new standard for environmentally friendly notebook design."

The 2.26 GHz, 13-inch MacBook Pro, for a suggested retail price of $1,199 (US), includes:

Â*-- Â*13.3-inch widescreen LED-backlit 1280 x 800 glossy display;

Â*-- Â*2.26 GHz Intel Core 2 Duo with 3MB shared L2 cache;

Â*-- Â*1066 MHz front-side bus;

Â*-- Â*2GB 1066 MHz DDR3 SDRAM, expandable to 8GB;

Â*-- Â*NVIDIA GeForce 9400M integrated graphics;

Â*-- Â*160GB serial ATA hard drive running at 5400 rpm, with Sudden Motion Sensor;

Â*-- Â*a slot-load 8X SuperDrive(R) with double-layer support (DVD+/-R DL/DVD+/-RW/CD-RW) optical drive;

Â*-- Â*Mini DisplayPort for video output (adapters sold separately);

Â*-- Â*built-in AirPort Extreme(R) 802.11n wireless networking and Bluetooth 2.1+EDR;

Â*-- Â*Gigabit Ethernet port;

Â*-- Â*built-in iSight(R) video camera;

Â*-- Â*two USB 2.0 ports;

Â*-- Â*one FireWire 800 port (FireWire 400 compatible);

Â*-- Â*SD card slot;

Â*-- Â*one audio line in/out port, supporting both optical digital and analog;

Â*-- Â*glass Multi-Touch trackpad and illuminated keyboard;

Â*-- Â*built-in, 58WHr lithium polymer battery; and

Â*-- Â*60 Watt MagSafe(R) Power Adapter.

The 2.53 GHz, 13-inch MacBook Pro, for a suggested retail price of $1,499 (US), includes:

Â*-- Â*13.3-inch widescreen LED-backlit 1280 x 800 glossy display;

Â*-- Â*2.53 GHz Intel Core 2 Duo with 3MB shared L2 cache;

Â*-- Â*1066 MHz front-side bus;

Â*-- Â*4GB 1066 MHz DDR3 SDRAM, expandable to 8GB;

Â*-- Â*NVIDIA GeForce 9400M integrated graphics;

Â*-- Â*250GB serial ATA hard drive running at 5400 rpm, with Sudden Motion Sensor;

Â*-- Â*a slot-load 8X SuperDrive with double-layer support (DVD+/-R DL/DVD+/-RW/CD-RW) optical drive;

Â*-- Â*Mini DisplayPort for video output (adapters sold separately);

Â*-- Â*built-in AirPort Extreme 802.11n wireless networking and Bluetooth 2.1+EDR;

Â*-- Â*Gigabit Ethernet port;

Â*-- Â*built-in iSight video camera;

Â*-- Â*two USB 2.0 ports;

Â*-- Â*one FireWire 800 port (FireWire 400 compatible);

Â*-- Â*SD card slot;

Â*-- Â*one audio line in/out port, supporting both optical digital and analog;

Â*-- Â*glass Multi-Touch trackpad and illuminated keyboard;

Â*-- Â*built-in, 58WHr lithium polymer battery; and

Â*-- Â*60 Watt MagSafe Power Adapter.

Build-to-order options for the 13-inch MacBook Pro include the ability to upgrade to 8GB 1066 MHz DDR3 SDRAM, a 250GB 5400 rpm, 320GB 5400 rpm or 500GB 5400 rpm hard drive, a 128GB or 256GB solid state drive, Mini DisplayPort to DVI Adapter, Mini DisplayPort to Dual-Link DVI Adapter (for 30-inch DVI display), Mini DisplayPort to VGA Adapter, Apple Remote, Apple MagSafe Airline Adapter and the AppleCare Protection Plan.

MacBook Air

Apple today also updated its thin and light MacBook Air, making it more powerful and more affordable. Measuring just 0.16 to 0.76-inches thin and weighing just three pounds, the MacBook Air is available in two models starting with the new entry price of $1,499 for a 1.86 GHz Intel Core 2 Duo system with a 120GB hard drive and NVIDIA GeForce 9400M graphics, and a 2.13 GHz Intel Core 2 Duo system with a 128GB solid state drive and NVIDIA GeForce 9400M graphics for $1,799.

Every Mac notebook achieves EPEAT Gold status and meets Energy Star 5.0 requirements, setting a new standard for environmentally friendly notebook design. Each unibody enclosure is made of highly recyclable aluminum and comes standard with energy efficient LED-backlit displays that are mercury-free and made with arsenic-free glass. All MacBook Pro and MacBook Air models contain no brominated flame retardants and use internal cables and components that are PVC-free. The built-in battery design results in less waste and depleted batteries can be replaced for $129 or $179, which includes installation and disposal of your old battery in an environmentally responsible manner.

Availability and upgrading to Snow Leopard

The new 13-inch MacBook Pro and MacBook Air are available immediately through the Apple Store, Apple's retail stores and Apple Authorized Resellers.

Mac OS X Snow Leopard will be shipping in September 2009, and any new Mac system purchased without Snow Leopard from Apple or an Apple Authorized Reseller between June 8, 2009 and the end of the program on December 26, 2009, is eligible for the Mac OS X Snow Leopard Up-To-Date upgrade package available for a product plus shipping and handling fee of $9.95 (US). Users must request their Up-To-Date upgrade within 90 days of purchase or by December 26, 2009, or whichever comes first.

Comments

• Reply 1 of 225
    saareksaarek Posts: 1,523member
    What a brilliant update, now if the iMacs this year had had such a good upgrade I'd have bought one, I love my current 2.0ghz 13" Aluminium Macbook but am so tempted by one of these, well done Apple!
  • Reply 2 of 225
    nasseraenasserae Posts: 3,167member
    Looks like the white MacBook is here to stay. Trying to decide when to list my Unibody MBP and MB on ebay while it still under warranty

Nice update.
  • Reply 3 of 225
    smiles77smiles77 Posts: 668member
    The upgrades here are way better than I would have thought they would have been today! This is fantastic. I can't wait to get one of these in September with Snow Leopard on it. It will be my first Mac, and I can hardly wait.

Bravo, as well, Apple, on adding the backlit keyboard to the low-end model.

Wow!!!
  • Reply 4 of 225
    hillstoneshillstones Posts: 1,490member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by tschunde View Post

Oh common apple! Pro = fast graphic card...

I won't buy a 13inch model because of the slow 9400M...

So don't buy it. Are you aware that the 15" Pro model can also run with the 9400M? Not everyone plays games that are heavily dependent on 3-D graphics.
  • Reply 5 of 225
    dreamrajdreamraj Posts: 83member
    The price drops across the range are cool, rather hot, whatever
  • Reply 6 of 225
    teckstudteckstud Posts: 6,476member
    Haha. Firewire is back - just as I asked for and predicted.

Finally I can buy one.
  • Reply 7 of 225
    dhkostadhkosta Posts: 150member
    It's funny - the distinction that I really drew with the Pro line was that there were TWO graphics cards. Even if you don't run graphics-intensive software, having the discrete card would have tremendous implications for OpenCL, right? Or am I missing something?
  • Reply 8 of 225
    minderbinderminderbinder Posts: 1,703member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by hillstones View Post

So don't buy it. Are you aware that the 15" Pro model can also run with the 9400M? Not everyone plays games that are heavily dependent on 3-D graphics.

And "pro" users buy a machine to work, not to play games.
  • Reply 9 of 225
    macxpressmacxpress Posts: 5,808member
    Quote:

Slow? What world are you living in?

The 9400M is no slouch....

As a side note...Firewire is back...now people can stop bitching! Oh wait...still a glossy display, well it was a thought!
  • Reply 10 of 225
    mcarlingmcarling Posts: 1,106member
    My only disappointment is that the high-end MacBook Air still comes with only 2GB of ram.
  • Reply 11 of 225
    hiimamachiimamac Posts: 584member
    Quote:

that's why they are nit pro. Bad grapics means no motion I'd final cut.

By the way, where are the fanboys who said apple would not cheapen the price. I said this would happen as they have to into a tablet even cheaper. Great news fir audio pros though. Very great news.

Blessings eveyone.
  • Reply 12 of 225
    jpellinojpellino Posts: 698member
    Just like I said.

And some of you (you know who you are) had a dozen reasons FW was on its way out never to return.

Would you like that crow steamed, country-fried or fricasseed?
  • Reply 13 of 225
    hiimamachiimamac Posts: 584member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by teckstud View Post

Finally I can buy one.

When they came out with better you I said that's why they dumped FireWire and fanboys bashed me. Looks like it's back and fanbitz were wrong. It was never about space and I said that many times

Great news
  • Reply 14 of 225
    minderbinderminderbinder Posts: 1,703member
    Great to see the price drop, but it makes even more obvious how overpriced the desktop offerings are. So when does the mini get an update or price drop? Or some new model that is more competitive and fills the gaping chasm between the mini and the Mac Pro?
  • Reply 15 of 225
    smiles77smiles77 Posts: 668member
    Quote:

Finally I can buy one.

And Firewire 800 at that! Looks like Apple has even garnered praise from an iHater!

Nice job, Apple.
  • Reply 16 of 225
    rokkenrokken Posts: 236member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by jpellino View Post

Just like I said.

And some of you (you know who you are) had a dozen reasons FW was on its way out never to return.

Wasn't it stated before that FW was technically impossible in previous version because the internal space was too jammed, and it could be added by adopting the non-user removable battery? By the way, all FW have been eliminated in all Macs so far are FW400 and previous MacBook did not have FW800 so adding FW800 doesn't seem like a return but an upgrade to me.

I am really tempted by the new MacBook (Pro) because of the longer battery life, backlit keyboard in base model and lower price point. Guess I'll have to get on with it..
  • Reply 17 of 225
    brlawyerbrlawyer Posts: 828member
    Quote:

Finally I can buy one.

Absolutely unexpected, and a brilliant update for much lower prices; I will finally replace my good ol' iBook G3 with a new MBP! Apple rules once more with the best notebook lineup in the world! GO APPLE!

MS IS DEAD.

p.s.: ANOTHER CLEAR confirmation that Apple is the one company that listens to its customers...FW IS BACK!
  • Reply 18 of 225
    solipsismsolipsism Posts: 25,726member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by NasserAE View Post

Looks like the white MacBook is here to stay. Trying to decide when to list my Unibody MBP and MB on ebay while it still under warranty

Nice update.

Now that they have officially announced the better display in the MB (which Beetlejuice was adamant cold have been added without a lot of hoopla) I am not sure if I want to go the 15? anymore. Especially now that they upped the battery time.

Quote:

Finally I can buy one.

You predicted it? I recall you complaining about it, after I predicted FW800 would be added once they removed the user-accessible battery/HDD cover. BTW, FW400 is not back, as we?ve been saying since last year Apple has obsolesced FW400 in favour of FW800.

PS: You can?t get a MB because it still has a glossy display. Waah!

Quote:
    Originally Posted by jpellino View Post

Just like I said.

With FW800 not going anywhere and the Mac Mini also getting Mac Mini it seemed obvious that only FW400 was going away.
  • Reply 19 of 225
    cycomikocycomiko Posts: 716member
    what a brilliant idea, wait until Microsoft has had its fun poking at apple about its prices, then cut the prices...
  • Reply 20 of 225
    ensign pulverensign pulver Posts: 1,193member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by AppleInsider View Post

MacBook Air's were also updated with cheaper pricing.

MacBook Air's what?

Seriously, it's bad enough when the retarded teenagers on these boards do it, but now the AI staff is randomly inserting apostrophes into words?